Page 12 of 81 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

I guess Marvel is at the point where they know that their attempt at replacing the old costume didn't work but can't quite bring themselves to just admit that the old costume is the best which brings us to the current attempt. I wish them luck with the new look.

I heard the character may be getting a movie. This is awesome news because it will...

1. Expose more people to the character

2. Marvel has a habit of trying to create synergy with movie counterparts. Knowing Sony they will probably get rid of the kid for the movies and maybe that will spur Marvel to move in that direction as well.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Here's the thing. They'd probably use pre baby Jess anyway and go with an Origin story. If they decide they want Gerry, it'll be much later.

Jessica is shared between Marvel and Sony. Marvel can use Jess sans powers and Spider-Woman name. Sony can use Jess With her Powers and Spider-Woman name...but not the Hydra/Shield/Avengers background. It makes 0 sense for Sony to do this movie without Marvel Studios involvement. Considering it's not been announced as a phase 4 Marvel Studios movie, it's safe to say Sony is on there own for this. Which makes me think it's Ultimate Jessica Drew, Peter's clone.

And don't get me wrong I like Ultimate Jess, but she's more an AU Ben Reilly than an AU Jessica Drew. And I don't want to read about nor watch a movie about a clone of Peter.

One of the things I love most about the Original Jessica Drew is that her origins have nothing to do with Peter and , from the the chatter I'm seeing, OG Jess is the Jess people want.

That said, this October 2021 movie I don't think is Spider-Woman. I think it'll be something else.
    Last edited by Seren; 02-12-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Thanks for the info! A lot to unpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Here's the thing. They'd probably use pre baby Jess anyway and go with an Origin story. If they decide they want Gerry, it'll be much later.
    I agree they will do an origin story, but I don't think that are ever going to use Gerry if they are trying to create a successful franchise. If the franchise goes on long enough it will be rebooted, without Gerry.

Jessica is shared between Marvel and Sony. Marvel can use Jess sans powers and Spider-Woman name. Sony can use Jess With her Powers and Spider-Woman name...but not the Hydra/Shield/Avengers background. It makes 0 sense for Sony to do this movie without Marvel Studios involvement. Considering it's not been announced as a phase 4 Marvel Studios movie, it's safe to say Sony is on there own for this. Which makes me think it's Ultimate Jessica Drew, Peter's clone.
    All Sony needs is the name Spider-Woman. The vast group of people that will see this movie know nothing about her origins. They can and probably will come up with a new origin because Venom emboldened them. Hydra and Shield are old hat now and besides having Spider-Woman be a clone of Spider-Man is a bad look and not very woke.

And don't get me wrong I like Ultimate Jess, but she's more an AU Ben Reilly than an AU Jessica Drew. And I don't want to read about nor watch a movie about a clone of Peter.
    Me neither, which is why they probably won't use her.

One of the things I love most about the Original Jessica Drew is ng to do with Peter and , from the the chatter I'm seeing, OG Jess is the Jess people want.
    Which is why I'm hoping Sony will use her with a modified origin.

That said, this October 2021 movie I don't think is Spider-Woman. I think it'll be something else.
    Just as long as she gets a movie.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 02-12-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I agree about Gerry. I love seeing Jess as a mom but we won't see it in movies. I was just saying IF.

I don't trust Sony with Jess at all. She belongs in the MCU with the Avengers. Not Sony's spider-verse. But that's just me.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I agree about Gerry. I love seeing Jess as a mom but we won't see it in movies. I was just saying IF.

I don't trust Sony with Jess at all. She belongs in the MCU with the Avengers. Not Sony's spider-verse. But that's just me.
    I liked Venom. If I'm being honest my enjoyment of it increases the more Marvel screws around with the symbiotes. I really hate the direction Marvel has gone with the symbiotes. They took something really simple and just mangled it. The movie introduced concepts I didn't care for but it was far more simplistic than Marvel's mess.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

How much longer til we get some previews?

I wonder if it would be possible to have something like a 616-accurate movie Jessica Drew without Disney. You couldn't have Hydra, but you could probably replace them with some other evil organization or make one up if Disney owns the rights to all of the existing ones. Replace SHIELD with...I don't know, I guess make up another organization? Or I guess they could use the CIA. Make up characters to represent Viper and Nick Fury without using their names. You could have her put down roots in San Francisco, use Lindsay McCabe as a supporting character, etc. No Tigra or Carol, though.

It could be done if you just change the names of various organizations and characters, it's just a shame to have her in a separate universe than the rest of the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    How much longer til we get some previews?
    There was a wordless preview in comic book news recently and the art is beautiful. But I'm really bummed we haven't gotten anything else yet.

Karla Pacheco is in NYC this week though, so maybe we'll get some info soon.

OOTCS I think Lindsay is a Marvel only character according to the agreement but I'll have to look again . Sony would literally have to change the name of everyone Jess is associated with in order to use her. Unless they use Ultimate. And I think that's why Jess is a shared character at all.
    Last edited by Seren; 02-13-2020 at 04:43 AM.

I really shouldn't post before coffee

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I really shouldn't post before coffee
    Coffee? Oh geez, I didn't realize that it's morning already. I've been up all night! Crap, crap, crap, crap...

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Looks like Sony has their eyes on people already...http://https://www.cbr.com/sony-spid...elle-maclaren/

I'm just...I'm finding it very hard to believe any of this. Until I hear it directly from Sony or Marvel....I will remain skeptical.

Ultimate Member

No idea if it's true. But Vikander would be an intriguing choice potentially.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I guess Marvel is at the point where they know that their attempt at replacing the old costume didn't work but can't quite bring themselves to just admit that the old costume is the best which brings us to the current attempt. I wish them luck with the new look.

I heard the character may be getting a movie. This is awesome news because it will...

1. Expose more people to the character

2. Marvel has a habit of trying to create synergy with movie counterparts. Knowing Sony they will probably get rid of the kid for the movies and maybe that will spur Marvel to move in that direction as well.
    I agree a movie/series would not use current Jess...but early, origin story Jess for a dynamic female led action movie. But Marvel getting rid of Gerry in the comics would be a horrid. I know there are people who don't like that she has a kid...but they gave her one and they need to commit to keeping him and us getting to see him grow up. What is the alternative...to have him killed off is come way? Some villain comes around for revenge and Gerry catches a bullet or laser blast or mystical axe?? Or maybe just a genetic disorder that caused him to die in a hospital bed with tubes sticking out of him??

Too many times a new writer comes on and says "I hate this about the character...I'm going to change it." But in the real world...while you can do that with a lot of things...you really can't do it with a kid.

From what it sounds like, Gerry will be around in the new Spider-Woman run, but Karla only giggles evilly when you push for more details.