Page 70 of 81 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1206

But see that's the thing. She's trying to tell a story here and unfortunately that story only comes out monthly. But people are already complaining that characters from Jess' past (such as Lindsay, who I would like to see too by the way but it won't make or break the series for me) aren't in it when the series hasn't had a chance to even get started. Give it a couple of arcs? It's like when people wrote off Hydra Cap immediately without even seeing where the story was going.

I can tell you that Karla has gone on record to say that Marvel gave her the option to completely reboot Jess - her origins, everything. Like it never happened, To start from scratch. She decided not to do that and said she wants to honor everything that came before it - including things in her original run though she didn't specify as to what. Marvel also told Karla they wanted it to be Dark and Action packed, which she IS delivering in spades.

A legit criticism is yes the story is moving fast and you can get a bit lost. I don't think a legit criticism is "Where is x y and z in this series" when it's only 4 issues in. I love Al Ewing's writing don't get me wrong. But I also love Karla's and Kelly Thompson, and Chip Zdarsky. Not all writers are Al Ewing and they shouldn't be.

The Dennis Hopeless run didn't acknowledge anything prior to Secret Invasion and I see far less complaints (though there are still plenty) about that. - I recind this statement. He acknowledged Jess' friendship with Jack Russell on one page.
    Last edited by Seren; 09-27-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Just picked up the Strikeforce book, and I’m struggling through the first issue. Tell me it gets better.
    I'm curious to give Strikeforce a look just to see Jess rock this look...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    She rocks it HARD. It's fantastic and one of my favorite moments from the book
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

What are the odds Rebecca becomes a teen superhero?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What are the odds Rebecca becomes a teen superhero?
    I say pretty likely?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    This look might make me read those issues I skipped.

Also, Monica looks fierce af. I’m so glad she got rid of the trench.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I say pretty likely?
    Yeah, seems like she'll end up as a legacy hero to Jess - maybe they'll make her a new Spider-Girl, and revert the current Spider-Girl Anya Corazon to her original name Arana? Alternatively, Rebecca could take the Arachne name formerly used by both Jessica (when she was HYDRA) and Julia (after Veranke disguised as Jess started being Spider-Woman).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

So, guys/girls, the response for Spider-Woman's ongoing has been good or mixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    So, guys/girls, the response for Spider-Woman's ongoing has been good or mixed?
    Most people I know are loving it (outside of these forums anyway). Karla has a "blink and you'll miss it" writing style. The issues are fast paced but you still need to take your time and read them. the clues are all there and I am enjoying the hunt.

I've found that those who aren't liking it aren't really reading it (or reading it too fast) or are trying to find something to be offended about so they can hate it. or they are upset Karla is pulling from the Bendis Origin.

Strikeforce 2 was a lot more enjoyable, but anything with Satana is an automatic win for me.

I’m loving Karla’s run thus far. The costume wouldn’t be as blech to me if it had some glider-wings.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Good to know some are enjoying it. I think I'll wait for the first TPB, since I didn't buy the first issues.

Maybe it's a silly question, but are SW's powers (strength, agility, etc.) and skills being used well?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    For myself, I have read a lot, but not all, of the original SPIDER-WOMAN series. The Claremont run was far and away the best period of the book, in my opinion. I tend to be more of a fan of her modern material myself -- I enjoyed the Hopeless run (although the decision to give Jessica a baby still strikes me as weird), and I am looking forward to the new run once it comes out in TPB.
    I'm collecting the new series -- so that's something. I dropped the previous series when it changed direction after only a few issues. Didn't like the direction, ans wasn't crazy about the art or costume (though it was better than her current one). It's been okay, so far. I appreciate that the writer has a 'big idea' and is developing the story. I don't always agree with her voice for the character (seems more like Jessica Jones than Jessica Drew).

Regarding her first series -- Claremont tried to do a lot -- and I wish they had given him more time, but her really elevated the book (as did Steve Leiloha when he took over the chores about a year before Claremont came on board). But the Wolfman issues are decent setup. Gruenwald's issues were weird --and that's where I lost interest -- picking up again when Spider-Man finally appeared. Some/most of the issues that followed were the worst of the run.

But I think any contribution to this thread should be welcome from people who are fans of the character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'm collecting the new series -- so that's something. I dropped the previous series when it changed direction after only a few issues. Didn't like the direction, ans wasn't crazy about the art or costume (though it was better than her current one). It's been okay, so far. I appreciate that the writer has a 'big idea' and is developing the story. I don't always agree with her voice for the character (seems more like Jessica Jones than Jessica Drew).
    Its funny you say that, because I was always struck by how much the Hopeless run started to overlap on Jessica Jones territory. Jessica Jones is a super-powered private investigator who ended up having a baby, and who for a time was partnered with Ben Urich (in THE PULSE). In Hopeless' run Jessica Drew becomes a private investigator again, working with Ben Urich...and then has a baby. Given the comparisons that already get drawn between the two of them since they both have the same first name, have a similar look (when not in costume), are both close friends with Carol Danvers and were both favourites of Bendis, I was surprised that Hopeless would actually lean even further into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Its funny you say that, because I was always struck by how much the Hopeless run started to overlap on Jessica Jones territory. Jessica Jones is a super-powered private investigator who ended up having a baby, and who for a time was partnered with Ben Urich (in THE PULSE). In Hopeless' run Jessica Drew becomes a private investigator again, working with Ben Urich...and then has a baby. Given the comparisons that already get drawn between the two of them since they both have the same first name, have a similar look (when not in costume), are both close friends with Carol Danvers and were both favourites of Bendis, I was surprised that Hopeless would actually lean even further into that.
    Jones was meant to be Drew, but Marvel said no, so he just changed her last name.

Is Jess involved in the King in Black crossover? I’m buying Spider-Woman and Black Cat, but not Amazing or Venom anymore.