Page 13 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I understand why people would be hesitant to trust Sony with a SW movie, but don't let the MCU's gigantic box office grosses fool ya; Marvel Studios is perfectly capable of making crappy movies (**cough** Captain Marvel/The Incredible Hulk/Age of Ultron/Thor: The Dark World **cough). And we should not forget that Sony made two amazing Spider-Man films that are a million times better than a whole bunch of MCU films. Now, sure, I would prefer that the MCU made a great SW film that reached a larger audience and put Jessica (and hopefully, her iconic yellow and red costume) on t-shirts, backpacks, and toy aisles all over the nation (and world)...but, I am so hungry for a cinematic Jessica Drew, that I am praying for Sony to indeed make a solid SW movie sooner than later. And part of that is because Jessica was never a character that I would envision being silly/funny in the way that Marvel makes pretty much all of their movie characters. Her tales had more of a dark bent, and I would rather the MCU did not get their hands on her and make her all pop-culture-reference-happy and tongue-in-cheek. I always loved Jessica and Jennifer Walters because they were totally different from their male pseudo-namesakes in terms of character and tone.

Her first origin could very well be streamlined and even combined with Bendis's reboot. There are plenty of evil, secret organizations in the Marvel universe, so one of those could stand in for HYDRA. All I'd want in a SW movie origin is for them to keep Jessica being born on Wundagore Mountain (and its eldritch forces imbuing Jessica with a bizarre aura). I also want them to keep her parents being a big part of her origin and for Lindsay McCabe and David Ishima to be her main supporting cast. And no, no baby. I imagine that an origin story would probably make the Hydra stand-in organization the main antagonist, with maybe a disposable villain or two (Nekra? Charlotte Witter? Flying Tiger?) acting as their field agents/enforcers to try to capture and/or kill Jessica. Oh, and of course...her original costume is the ONLY costume they need.

I am super excited about this (and cautiously optimistic).
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 02-14-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I'm just...I'm finding it very hard to believe any of this. Until I hear it directly from Sony or Marvel....I will remain skeptical.
    Last time Sony tried to do a female-led franchise for their Spiderverse (Silver & Black), it ended up indefinitely shelved, so... I'm not gonna lie when I say I hope the same happens here. I have zero interest in seeing Jessica isolated from the MCU. I don't see the point at all in adapting her to live action if you're gonna strip her of all of the major connections she has to the larger Marvel Universe, which are many. Unless they decide to use the Ultimate version, whom I simply don't care for as much. Sony should go for Spider-Gwen, Silk, Spider-Girl or whatever and leave Jess for Marvel Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    All I'd want in a SW movie origin is for them to keep Jessica being born on Wundagore Mountain (and its eldritch forces imbuing Jessica with a bizarre aura)
    I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't have any claim over Wundagore or any of its direct mythology, so that's a no for them. There's a whole bunch of stuff from her solo comics that would have to change to work in a Sony-exclusive universe, and I don't think it's worth it.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-14-2020 at 09:46 AM.

BANNED

The only problem I see is that I feel that Feige and Disney have zero interest in giving Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman a major MCU platform. I suspect that, with both Peter and Natasha around, they will deem her "redundant" (and yes, as a Jessica fan, I very well know that she is quite different from BW and Spidey). But that is how movies tend to work. They usually go for broad strokes; they tend to overlook nuances and I fear that their idiotic reasoning will be: "Oh, we don't need another Spider-Man-adjacent female character; we have Spidey and Black Widow." Although...I could be wrong, since they are giving She-Hulk a Disney Plus TV show.
    I fear that, if anything, Jess might be either a supporting character in a team film franchise with barely anything to do (a la Katana in Suicide Squad, Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy or Hawkeye in Avengers), or relegated to a supporting turn in a Disney Plus show. I am just selfishly interested in her getting a solo film franchise that makes audiences at large discover what we all know about Jessica's awesomeness and badassery.
    Either way, I just want a live action Spider-Woman that lives up to how cool she is.
    And although I agree that extricating her from awesome concepts like Hydra, and eliminating potentially awesome encounters with characters like Viper, Taskmaster, and Nick Fury sucks, I am just dying to see her on the big screen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    The only problem I see is that I feel that Feige and Disney have zero interest in giving Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman a major MCU platform. I suspect that, with both Peter and Natasha around, they will deem her "redundant" (and yes, as a Jessica fan, I very well know that she is quite different from BW and Spidey). But that is how movies tend to work. They usually go for broad strokes; they tend to overlook nuances and I fear that their idiotic reasoning will be: "Oh, we don't need another Spider-Man-adjacent female character; we have Spidey and Black Widow." Although...I could be wrong, since they are giving She-Hulk a Disney Plus TV show.
    I fear that, if anything, Jess might be either a supporting character in a team film franchise with barely anything to do (a la Katana in Suicide Squad, Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy or Hawkeye in Avengers), or relegated to a supporting turn in a Disney Plus show. I am just selfishly interested in her getting a solo film franchise that makes audiences at large discover what we all know about Jessica's awesomeness and badassery.
    Either way, I just want a live action Spider-Woman that lives up to how cool she is.
    And although I agree that extricating her from awesome concepts like Hydra, and eliminating potentially awesome encounters with characters like Viper, Taskmaster, and Nick Fury sucks, I am just dying to see her on the big screen.
    I know it goes against the grain of the studios running their properties...but Marvel and Sony should have worked out an arrangement that lets Marvel invest some money in exchange for creative input and a cut of the profits. The 2 studios building the shared universe with Marvel being able to make sure their characters are properly portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I agree a movie/series would not use current Jess...but early, origin story Jess for a dynamic female led action movie. But Marvel getting rid of Gerry in the comics would be a horrid. I know there are people who don't like that she has a kid...but they gave her one and they need to commit to keeping him and us getting to see him grow up.
    Don't get me wrong, kids can work under the right circumstances, but Gerry exist under none of those circumstances...

The problem is that...

1. The kid adds nothing to the main character. It exits as a characterization shortcut for the writer. You can make the main character feel anything you want, just use the kid.

2. It exists to get threatened or kidnapped. This is bad enough when the heroes grown friends are used as leverage.

3. Everything is a one way street. Worry about the kid. Talk to the kid. Care for the kid. The kid is incapable of giving anything in return. And it will always have to be that way because.....

4. It ages her. If the kid grows up the hero has to retire. Plus it makes her look even older in comparison to all the other Spider-folk unless you speed up the ageing process but then you are faced with the decision of having a full grown or teen version of the character that takes up even more of the comic's limited space and gets lost amongst the other Spider-folk Marvel has.

I What is the alternative...to have him killed off is come way? Some villain comes around for revenge and Gerry catches a bullet or laser blast or mystical axe?? Or maybe just a genetic disorder that caused him to die in a hospital bed with tubes sticking out of him??

Too many times a new writer comes on and says "I hate this about the character...I'm going to change it." But in the real world...while you can do that with a lot of things...you really can't do it with a kid.
    My thoughts exactly. All the future writers are stuck with Gerry and can't remove him as easily as other supporting characters. It's a no win scenario. You can't kill off the character because the fans will scream bloody murder. You can't just ignore it because then the main character looks like a bad parent. Writers are creatures of the moment who are not concerned with the character once they are done with them. It's the editor's job to be concerned with the long term health of a character, and when the writer said they wanted to add a kid they should have said no. The kid was a bad idea, you don't double down on a bad idea.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Don't get me wrong, kids can work under the right circumstances, but Gerry exist under none of those circumstances...

The problem is that...

1. The kid adds nothing to the main character. It exits as a characterization shortcut for the writer. You can make the main character feel anything you want, just use the kid.

2. It exists to get threatened or kidnapped. This is bad enough when the heroes grown friends are used as leverage.

3. Everything is a one way street. Worry about the kid. Talk to the kid. Care for the kid. The kid is incapable of giving anything in return. And it will always have to be that way because.....

4. It ages her. If the kid grows up the hero has to retire. Plus it makes her look even older in comparison to all the other Spider-folk unless you speed up the ageing process but then you are faced with the decision of having a full grown or teen version of the character that takes up even more of the comic's limited space and gets lost amongst the other Spider-folk Marvel has.

My thoughts exactly. All the future writers are stuck with Gerry and can't remove him as easily as other supporting characters. It's a no win scenario. You can't kill off the character because the fans will scream bloody murder. You can't just ignore it because then the main character looks like a bad parent. Writers are creatures of the moment who are not concerned with the character once they are done with them. It's the editor's job to be concerned with the long term health of a character, and when the writer said they wanted to add a kid they should have said no. The kid was a bad idea, you don't double down on a bad idea.
    I think it stagnates the character. Look at Luke Cage and Jessica Jones...kid, married, happy. Why can't more characters be like that?

Unknown Comics exclusive Gabriele Dell'Otto Variant

IMG_20200212_211504.jpg
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I think it stagnates the character. Look at Luke Cage and Jessica Jones...kid, married, happy. Why can't more characters be like that?
    I think every editor has to be ready to be a bad guy at some point. People still complain about Jim Shooter but he is going to go down as one of the greatest Marvel editors of all time.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

IMG_20200212_211504.jpg
    Cool. What city is she operating out of now?

Isn't she still operating out of New York?

I wouldn't mind seeing Jessica in the MCU. She makes more sense there and when Peter inevitably leaves the MCU, Jessica would be the best Spider-character to step into that slot. I know that she's not as closely associated to his mythos as the others but she's infinitely more popular than Mattie, Julia and Anya. Also, I disagree that the child ages her. Jessica can remain young and still be a mother. However, it's not like she'd be introduced with Gerry. She'd start off as young and single.

I was just thinking about it and I'm not even sure who I'd want to be cast as Jessica.

Astonishing Member

Lucky You. Variant cover for Black Cat #10 out March 4th

It would be cool to see Jessica as a reoccurring guest in Black Cat's world and vice versa. The same applies towards Spider-Man...Will we ever see Peter Parker and Jessica drew do a team up adventure? It's worked wonders for Deadpool and Spider-Man. Why the disinterest with Spider-Man and Spider-Woman Team up adventure?
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 02-14-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Cool. What city is she operating out of now?
    From what Karla Pacheco has said in interviews it sounds like Jess is going to be traveling. And from my wanderings elsewhere, I have pretty good feeling California (if I'm interpreting the hint correctly) could be a stop.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Yeah...the whole "Jessica is a mother" is something that I hope is retconned out of existence sooner than later.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Just throwing this speculation out here:

https://thegww.com/are-sonys-spider-...-and-the-same/

TL;DR - the article speculates that the reported Spider-Woman movie might be an evolution of the Madame Web movie that Sony was reportedly producing last year, and that Julia Carpenter might be the titular role instead of Jessica, since she has been both Spider-Woman and Madame Web in the comics.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-15-2020 at 02:27 AM.

IMG_20200212_211504.jpg
    This looks like it should be #51 of the original series!