Page 28 of 81 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    she's swearing in SW1 mainly cuz of the suit and what it is doing to her

also, she's mellowed out quite a bit because of hanging with her friends, a lot of characters have.
    even the wolverines
    She was never really one to be “swearing” in the original series to my knowledge. She seemed too classy for that.

As far as this suit... I am wondering if it’s actually Karl Malus that supplied it.

His first full appearance was in Spider-Woman #30. He later supplied the Hornet costume to Scotty McDowell which drastically changed Scotty’s personality.

Scotty was also wheelchair bound.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 03-23-2020 at 07:18 PM.

....you haven't been paying attention to how she's been written in the last decade then.It's not the 70s anymore. Can't a character move past the fucking decade they were created?

She swears quite a bit. She has since Bendis started writing her. It's in character for her to swear. She's in pain..so yes, she's going to swear more.

Karl Malus is an excellent guess. We'll have to wait n see if you're right, but yes. Great guess.
    Last edited by Seren; 03-23-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    She was never really one to be “swearing” in the original series to my knowledge. She seemed too classy for that.
    No, the reason she didn't swear back then was a little thing called the Comics Code Authority...

In light of last night's news, looks like this book was very badly timed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    ....you haven't been paying attention to how she's been written in the last decade then.It's not the 70s anymore. Can't a character move past the fucking decade they were created?

She swears quite a bit. She has since Bendis started writing her. It's in character for her to swear. She's in pain..so yes, she's going to swear more.
    That’s why I said in the original series. She was much more classy in that “fucking decade” and wasn’t dumbed down into a campy sidekick who swears a lot. Maybe you should read it.

Also, I never said I was opposed to hear swearing here and there. I was replying to her personality change happening (possibly due to the suit) compared to vol. 1.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 03-24-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No, the reason she didn't swear back then was a little thing called the Comics Code Authority...
    No, the reason is she wasn’t written to. She grew up in the 40’s with well educated parents until she was placed in stasis for decades. As for cursing during the times of CCA, @#$%&ing Typo-bleeping was used.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 03-24-2020 at 03:51 AM.

I don't feel like Jessy has been dumbed down at all.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I don't feel like Jessy has been dumbed down at all.
    I should have said watered down. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    No, the reason is she wasn’t written to. She grew up in the 40’s with well educated parents until she was placed in stasis for decades. As for cursing during the times of CCA, @#$%&ing Typo-bleeping was used.
    Not back then. Usually it was "Holy Hannah!" (Captain America) "Blue Blazes!" (Nova) "Great Scott!" (Superman) "Suffering Shad!" (Namor/Namorita) and similar. Nova and Namorita had a funny exchange in an early New Warriors issue about the swear phrases they used back in the 70s. It was only in the 90s when symbol swearing became the go-to curse. The CCA rules weren't as strict by then.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Not back then. Usually it was "Holy Hannah!" (Captain America) "Blue Blazes!" (Nova) "Great Scott!" (Superman) "Suffering Shad!" (Namor/Namorita) and similar. Nova and Namorita had a funny exchange in an early New Warriors issue about the swear phrases they used back in the 70s. It was only in the 90s when symbol swearing became the go-to curse. The CCA rules weren't as strict by then.
    yeah imagine someone like wolverine never swearing
    mainly the cca

also, a lot of characters became somehat childish/snarky under bendis.
    Since bendis wrote her mainly for so long, some of that seeped in probably

Fantastic Member

Putting aside swearing, (Even in the 70s, there were loads of characters that used the swearing icons in their speech - not Jessica).
    This is not so much character development or characters 'staying trapped in the 70s, but writers not GETTING their character and just creating their own, not building on foundations.

danielsan52 nailed it when he said she used to be 'too classy' for her current characterization.

I think Jessica is portrayed exactly how she should be and is in line with how she's been written by Bendis, Deconnick, Hopeless, Thompson and Tini Howard.

The above writers have done more to help Jess than any of the original writers (with the exception of Claremont). And quite honestly, the original series wasn't nearly as good as you make it out to be imo. There were some good moments but overall it lacked consistency and direction. Not to mention a lot of problematic stereotypes of the time. I'll take modern Jess thanks.
    Last edited by Seren; 03-24-2020 at 10:20 AM.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I think Jessica is portrayed exactly how she should be and is in line with how she's been written by Bendis, Deconnick, Hopeless, Thompson and Tini Howard.

The above writers have done more to help Jess than any of the original writers (with the exception of Claremont). And quite honestly, the original series wasn't nearly as good as you make it out to be imo. There were some good moments but overall it lacked consistency and direction. Not to mention a lot of problematic stereotypes of the time. I'll take modern Jess thanks.
    I absolutely abhor Claremont’s chapter of the original series. His X-Men were great. His Spider-Woman horrendous.

I loved where Anne Nocenti was going with the book even though she was hired to kill Jess off. Her characterization of Jess kind of set a marker to her personality today.

Astonishing Member

Maybe. Jessica seemed kinda demure when she debuted as Spider-Woman. For someone who wasn't in college and didn't hang out in bars -- not sure where she would have picked up the salty language. Carol Danvers -- yep -- I can see it. Jess? Not so much.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Anyone else think things would have turned out differently had Shooter or Stern had added her to the Avengers after Annual 10?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com