Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 646
  1. #421
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Maybe. Jessica seemed kinda demure when she debuted as Spider-Woman. For someone who wasn't in college and didn't hang out in bars -- not sure where she would have picked up the salty language. Carol Danvers -- yep -- I can see it. Jess? Not so much.

    Exactly! It's like Jessica of the first 30 years and Jess of the last 10 are totally different characters. Not saying that people don't change, or that experiences don't alter character, but it IS kind of weird, given her history.

  2. #422
    Astonishing Member Seren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Not in PA anymore.
    Posts
    4,140

    Default

    I don't think it's weird at all. Give me the current Jess any day of the week.

    Not sure why no one complained about this until Jess was be written by a woman.

    Either way, I prefer Jess as she is now. I'm sorry you don't.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter and subscribe to Spider-Woman by Karla Pacheco and Strikeforce by Tini Howard!

  3. #423
    Mighty Member danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Not sure why no one complained about this until Jess was be written by a woman.
    That is rather unfair. One of my favorite SW writers was Ann Nocenti. I love Tini’s work. Love Carla’s.

    I don’t see anyone complaining, just discussing Jess’ personality under different writers.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 03-25-2020 at 09:13 AM.

  4. #424
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I don't think it's weird at all. Give me the current Jess any day of the week.

    Not sure why no one complained about this until Jess was be written by a woman.

    Either way, I prefer Jess as she is now. I'm sorry you don't.
    Has nothing to do with preferences. A character should be written organically. I will say that being kidnapped by the Skrulls is a life-changing experience -- and may have had an influence on her language. I hate, though, when a character is written differently to reflect the writer's whims.

    I don't know when the shop will be opened again. I may have to get a digital copy of SW #1. I'm looking forward to that Wundagore issue -- and the day that Jess trashes her black suit -- it will never grow on me -- because it's a lousy design!
    Last edited by kcekada; 03-25-2020 at 09:46 AM.

  5. #425
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Anyone else think things would have turned out differently had Shooter or Stern had added her to the Avengers after Annual 10?
    Hmm.. at that point Shooter was writing --- and look how he trashed Tigra. By the time Stern took over -- Jess was 'dead', but he did bring her back -- albeit without her venom powers -- which was the illogical reason as to why she could no longer be Spider-Woman. She still had other powers like strength and sticking to walls. Despite the great design, Spider-Woman II was never very impressive.

  6. #426
    Mighty Member danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    . By the time Stern took over -- Jess was 'dead', but he did bring her back -- albeit without her venom powers -- which was the illogical reason as to why she could no longer be Spider-Woman. She still had other powers like strength and sticking to walls. Despite the great design, Spider-Woman II was never very impressive.
    Ann Nocenti was “story consultant for Avengers #240–241 when Jess was brought back. The story read like it should have been Spider-Woman 51-52 guest starring the Avengers.

    I also found this link but I cannot find the associated podcast that interviews Ann and Karla:

    https://www.marvel.com/amp/articles/...f-spider-woman

    If someone finds the podcast, please post it!
    Last edited by danielsan52; 03-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.

  7. #427
    Astonishing Member Seren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Not in PA anymore.
    Posts
    4,140

    Default

    I think I linked it several pages ago but here it is again

    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/marvel/women-of-marvel
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter and subscribe to Spider-Woman by Karla Pacheco and Strikeforce by Tini Howard!

  8. #428
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I don't think it's weird at all. Give me the current Jess any day of the week.

    Not sure why no one complained about this until Jess was be written by a woman.

    Either way, I prefer Jess as she is now. I'm sorry you don't.
    Glad you like modern Jessica. I probably do, too, as she is more relatable to modern audiences than creepy or confused SW from the first 30 years.
    But that wasn't the point. It was all about changing a long standing character personality without regard to her history. Like when Dr Strange suddenly started to get 'silly, dumbed down and slutty' 10 years ago under Aaron and Fraction.

    You ARE off-base throwing out the "Woman-Card" though. Plenty of people complained when Bendis radically changed Jess' characterization, and a ton were perplexed when Hopeless made her a single Mom, deeply 'against-type'.

  9. #429
    Astonishing Member Seren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Not in PA anymore.
    Posts
    4,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Glad you like modern Jessica. I probably do, too, as she is more relatable to modern audiences than creepy or confused SW from the first 30 years.
    But that wasn't the point. It was all about changing a long standing character personality without regard to her history. Like when Dr Strange suddenly started to get 'silly, dumbed down and slutty' 10 years ago under Aaron and Fraction.

    You ARE off-base throwing out the "Woman-Card" though. Plenty of people complained when Bendis radically changed Jess' characterization, and a ton were perplexed when Hopeless made her a single Mom, deeply 'against-type'.
    You're right, I was off base and I apologize. But I'm mad because I'm seeing these arguments elsewhere too and a lot people who are making them are Men who are also pissed that Jess isn't in her boobsock outfit anymore and also really support CG. So. Just know where I'm coming from here.
    Last edited by Seren; 03-25-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter and subscribe to Spider-Woman by Karla Pacheco and Strikeforce by Tini Howard!

  10. #430
    Mighty Member danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I think I linked it several pages ago but here it is again

    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/marvel/women-of-marvel
    Thank you !!!!

  11. #431
    Extraordinary Member Winterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,720

    Default

    Jess in Road to Empyre by Javier Rodriguez.
    road to empyre.jpg

    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture


    "Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

  12. #432
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Jess in Road to Empyre by Javier Rodriguez.
    road to empyre.jpg

    Sadly, based on the timeframe, this might actually be Veranke, not Jessica proper.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  13. #433
    Extraordinary Member Winterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Sadly, based on the timeframe, this might actually be Veranke, not Jessica proper.
    Oooooops, you're probably right.

    My bad.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture


    "Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

  14. #434
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Oooooops, you're probably right.

    My bad.
    It's cool. I still remember how exciting it was to have Jessica Drew on New Avengers --- then about three or four years later, it turns out she's a Skrull. Bummer.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  15. #435
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Ann Nocenti was “story consultant for Avengers #240–241 when Jess was brought back. The story read like it should have been Spider-Woman 51-52 guest starring the Avengers.

    I also found this link but I cannot find the associated podcast that interviews Ann and Karla:

    https://www.marvel.com/amp/articles/...f-spider-woman

    If someone finds the podcast, please post it!
    I listened to it a couple of weeks ago. I think I commented in this thread. I think I found it via iTunes -- in the podcast store.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •