Page 43 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    No it doesn’t. Unless you’re looking at the over sexualized Maleev art. The original costume was designed by a woman. The yellow abdomen design is reminiscent of brown widow marking and points to nothing.
    Yes it does. Im not looking at the original design or Maleev. Im looking at the one posted which I quoted and is pointed like an arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    That's possibly the best version of that uniform to date, but the design it still a design failure in my view. If the mask had been red so as to not blend in with her hair ... maybe. There is just way too much black.
    Yeah, a design like that would've worked better on Anya Corazon. She has a mostly black costume too (it's Julia's old black and white one) but her hair is brown, and thus she doesn't have the hair/mask same colour problem. Also, Jessica doesn't use webs, so the web designs don't make sense. Pretty much all of the other spider folks do use webs - if they were trying to make Jessica look more like a Spider-Man character (until Spider-Verse, she had nothing to do with Peter besides both being in Bendis's Avengers), it's actually surprising they haven't given her web shooters (they could've handed her Gwen's, since she now has organic webs thanks to her Venom symbiote).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well, Jess was moved from the Avengers office to the Spidey office right around the time of the Sony leaks(2014?is) That's about when they started trying to toss her in with Spidey. And I really think that 1610 Jessica Drew is the reason why 616 Jess is now lumped with the other spiders and is a shared character with Sony. If 1610 Jess had had a different name, 616 Jess Drew would be with Marvel Studios.

Granted this is all speculation on my part and I'm probably wrong, but it makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Seren; 05-29-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

If that's the reasoning, it's dumb. They got rid of Ultimate Jessica when Secret Wars happened - and her codename was Black Widow by the end anyway!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Well, Jess was moved from the Avengers office to the Spidey office right around the time of the Sony leaks(2014?is) That's about when they started trying to toss her in with Spidey. And I really think that 1610 Jessica Drew is the reason why 616 Jess is now lumped with the other spiders and is a shared character with Sony. If 1610 Jess had had a different name, 616 Jess Drew would be with Marvel Studios.

Granted this is all speculation on my part and I'm probably wrong, but it makes sense to me.
    Sony purchased the rights to the Spider-Man license in the late 90s and the characters they could use at the time were outlined there, which included present and future characters that fall under the Spider-Man franchise umbrella. They cant retroactively claim Jessica, 15 somewhat years later, which means they already had access to her and its bc they have the rights to Spider-Woman. Marvel Studios can use Jessica, but not as Spider-Woman. That mantle lies with Sony. They'd have to keep her as a human and/or remove the Spider elements from her

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Nauck, giving the people what they want. The original suit is always in demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yellow part looks like a phallic object aimed towards her lower parts
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    No it doesn’t. Unless you’re looking at the over sexualized Maleev art. The original costume was designed by a woman. The yellow abdomen design is reminiscent of brown widow marking and points to nothing.
    Yes it does. Im not looking at the original design or Maleev. Im looking at the one posted which I quoted and is pointed like an arrow
    Nauk's art is almost identical to Marie Severin's original design. I have to agree with danielsan, that it really doesnt unless that's what the viewer is looking for anyway. No one complains about Spider-Mans belt pointing at his crotch.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Nauk's art is almost identical to Marie Severin's original design. I have to agree with danielsan, that it really doesnt unless that's what the viewer is looking for anyway. No one complains about Spider-Mans belt pointing at his crotch.
    Where do you see anyone complaining about Spider-Woman's suit?

There's being a sexy character and then there's cheesecake. Jess in her classic costume is often depicted in a cheesecake way rather than as heroic. It was drawn that way as late as the spider-verse crossovers before Jess got the Anka outfit.

There's a place for cheesecake art, but imo it's not in a characters solo comic. That's why I didn't like the second story as much in the new series. The Same artist also drew Jess in the Anka outfit during Spider-Force -which was also cheesecake but not nearly as bad imo.

You can absolutely draw a character as sexy but still lack the cheesecake aspect.

I want to see Jess kicking ass and taking names without having her **** n ass shoved in my face every other panel.
    Last edited by Seren; 05-29-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yellow part looks like a phallic object aimed towards her lower parts
    I misspoke. That's not Jessica's original costume. We all know the yellow region descends to the vertex of her bikini line. I've never known Nauck to be a "cheesecake factory" artist, who hypersexualizes women in his art. I highly doubt that he was aiming for anything suggestive.

On another note, does anyone know why some form of the Ultimate Spider-Woman costume wasn't used in lieu of the current black model? Granted, it lacks the Spidey webbing motif, but that's an easy fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-29-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

They probably want to keep 616 Jess who has nothing to do with Peter separate from 1610 Jess who is a clone of Peter.

1610 Jess to me is more of an Alternate Ben Reilly than an Alternate Jessica Drew. She should have been called Jessica Reilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    They probably want to keep 616 Jess who has nothing to do with Peter separate from 1610 Jess who is a clone of Peter.

1610 Jess to me is more of an Alternate Ben Reilly than an Alternate Jessica Drew. She should have been called Jessica Reilly.
    Maybe in the past but one cant really say she has nothing to do with Peter anymore. They've been teammates in the Avengers and since Spiderverse, I'd even call them allies

Maybe in the past but one cant really say she has nothing to do with Peter anymore. They've been teammates in the Avengers and since Spiderverse, I'd even call them allies
    I mean origin wise.

Although now that I think about it, Bendis did allude to Miles Warren being involved with Jessica's origins in Spider-Woman Origin soooo... maybe not.

Nevermind.

Where do you see anyone complaining about Spider-Woman's suit?
    That was the point, Spider-Man has a similar costume design but no one mentions it pointing anywhere...its only on Spider-woman that people complain.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    That was the point, Spider-Man has a similar costume design but no one mentions it pointing anywhere...its only on Spider-woman that people complain.
    I wasnt complaining about her costume. It was a simple comment about that one particular drawing that was posted. It was an observation, not a negative statement about her look. It wasnt that deep

I wasnt complaining about her costume. It was a simple comment about that one particular drawing that was posted. It was an observation, not a negative statement about her look. It wasnt that deep
    Unfortunately your observation is a recurring negative statement on her costume for the reason you brought up by a vocal but small segment that keep things focused in that direction.