Page 36 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Has anyone read the Evolutionary War Annual back-up stories from 1988?

There is a ton of back story on Jonathan and Merriem Drew - wondering if it is worth hunting down, or what the key issues are (in terms of Jessica's parents)
    I haven't but it's probably on Marvel Unlimited. Not sure how much is canon anymore since they are going by Bendis origin these days (and retconned Merriam to Miriam)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Has anyone read the Evolutionary War Annual back-up stories from 1988?

There is a ton of back story on Jonathan and Merriem Drew - wondering if it is worth hunting down, or what the key issues are (in terms of Jessica's parents)
    I’ve read most of those backups. It does give more detail about the Life of the Drew family on Mt Wundagore as collateral material because of their involvement with the man who became the High Evolutionary. With Young Jessica’s illness and treatment being an aside to that. However as others have said, the details of that version of the origin have been retconned by the “Origin” series. There are also minor continuity gaffes such as Jessica being shown as a dark haired child, when she should have been blonde.
    All that considered, there are ample resources to easily read those stories online. For completist purposes the reading order is available here:
    https://comicbookreadingorders.com/m...reading-order/
    However the Drews don’t come into play until the 3rd part or so...

I’ll be interested to see if the upcoming revisitation to Wundagore mountain will tie Jessica at all to the new origin for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch as also offshoots of the machinations of the High Evolutionary...

But for the record I favor the Gruenwald tales over Bendis any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 04-11-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Fantastic Member

Goldmine, Thirteen - thanks! We never DID see Jonathan Drew killed back in the day, did we?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I’ve read most of those backups. It does give more detail about the Life of the Drew family on Mt Wundagore as collateral material because of their involvement with the man who became the High Evolutionary. With Young Jessica’s illness and treatment being an aside to that. However as others have said, the details of that version of the origin have been retconned by the “Origin” series. There are also minor continuity gaffes such as Jessica being shown as a dark haired child, when she should have been blonde.
    All that considered, there are ample resources to easily read those stories online. For completist purposes the reading order is available here:
    https://comicbookreadingorders.com/m...reading-order/
    However the Drews don’t come into play until the 3rd part or so...

I’ll be interested to see if the upcoming revisitation to Wundagore mountain will tie Jessica at all to the new origin for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch as also offshoots of the machinations of the High Evolutionary...

But for the record I favor the Gruenwald tales over Bendis any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Agree. I prefer this Jonathan over the Bendis’d creep.

Guess we'll have to find out with Wundagore. Jess is headed there in issue 4.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Sasha Wood has put out some good videos about Jess on her Casually Comics channel.

She makes some good points though I do not agree with everything the said.

Also, I keep forgetting that Brian Reed wrote Spider-Woman Origin with Bendis.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Sasha Wood has put out some good videos about Jess on her Casually Comics channel.

Sasha Wood is the new Marvel hero that I'm dying for someone to create. Maybe apprentice/sidekick under Jessica for a series or two before getting her own title.

On Marvel website it says the digital version of Spider-Woman #1 is supposed to be out 4/15. Comixology say 4/22. I'm thinking 4/22?

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

So Merriem just went for a walk and never came back? She was so distraught and concerned about her daughter's health that...she abandoned her? That makes zero sense. I loved the original series, but I had completely forgotten about Merriem disappearing without a trace OR explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    So Merriem just went for a walk and never came back? She was so distraught and concerned about her daughter's health that...she abandoned her? That makes zero sense. I loved the original series, but I had completely forgotten about Merriem disappearing without a trace OR explanation.
    If you go back to Evolutionary War, she was killed by Jack Russell’s ancestor.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It's okay, but I prefer long. If she did cut her hair that short -- I wouldn't mind seeing her wearing the old skincap for a short period. The long hair, though, is very iconic -- and would eventually come back.
    Or like Batwoman, have a wig attached to the mask. Didn't Jessica do just that in the early days?

If they are including a British Annual, a digital saga refresher, a giant size special (when comparable one-shots never counted in any other series' totals) and a Marvel Spotlight issue… I give up.

Digifiend, any insight?
    Checking the wiki...
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Spider-Woman_Comic_Books

#1-50 - Spider-Woman vol 1 #1-50
    #51 - Giant Size Spider-Woman #1
    #52-57 - Spider-Woman Origin #1-5
    #58 - Spider-Woman Saga #1
    #59-65 - Spider-Woman Vol 4 #1-7 (vol 2 was Julia, vol 3 was Mattie)
    #66 - Spider-Island: Spider-Woman #1
    #67-76 - Spider-Woman vol 5 #1-10
    #77-93 - Spider-Woman vol 6 #1-17
    #94-95 - Spider-Women Alpha and Omega
    #96-100 - Spider-Woman vol 7 #1-5

That Spotlight issue doesn't count.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ok so I was missing Spider-Island and Spider-Women. Don't think I did that bad.

Astonishing Member

Wasn't Merriam's grave shown in Spider-Woman #1?