Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Strikeforce Appreciation 2020

A thread for our favorite misfit team, Strikeforce! Written by Tini Howard, with art by German Peralta.

Previous Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rcy%94-Teasers
    Last edited by Seren; 12-31-2019 at 10:49 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Continued from previous thread:

So I just realized that the flashbacks we see in Issue 4 most likely mean that Blade's flashback in Issue 1 is also false? Or is Angela in the wrong here and the Vridai have been on Earth for longer than she realized?

Issue 5 is out next week - 1/8
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Wish this was doing better as team books that can take a hodgepodge of characters yet get everyone working off each other so well and so soon are rare.

Oh well these days I'm simply happy if book I enjoy last's at least 12 issues.

Tini writes every one so well and she's does a great job job making sure everyone gets their time to shine. Not only that, but each issue threads back to the first one in some way, which is really cool. I love this series so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Tini writes every one so well and she's does a great job job making sure everyone gets their time to shine. Not only that, but each issue threads back to the first one in some way, which is really cool. I love this series so much.
    Yes it's two of my biggest pet peeves in team books when some members are just there and don't contribute in any meaninful way or the author clearly has no idea how to write them so they makes-up a personality that clearly doesn't fit.

Maybe some fans appreciate just having their faves present but if they're not in-character or being used well I know I'm not sticking around.

And while it took a few issues I'm actually really into to the plot with the shapeshifters but like you said Tini writes everyone so well that just having this group in room and talk for an whole issue is still making for an entertaining read.

I agree other then holding back and limiting the power sets of Monica, Damon and Especially Billy she's got a really good grasp on the voices of the characters. I've said it before I'll say it again Billy has never had as much personality as he does under Tini all the YA fans who say otherwise are beyond my understanding. I feel a lot of them just push their own headcanon on to the characters and their voices and when they don't get what they want it's a problem. Especially on Tumblr theirs this one MoFo in particular who won't stop bitching about Jewish erasure and blah blah blah!!!

The fact that everything always ties back to something and nothing in this series so far has been throwaway info has been A Plus Writing!!
    Last edited by Journey; 01-01-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Happy New Year to the Strikeforce team .

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I agree other then holding back and limiting the power sets of Monica, Damon and Especially Billy she's got a really good grasp on the voices of the characters. I've said it before I'll say it again Billy has never had as much personality as he does under Tini all the YA fans who say otherwise are beyond my understanding. I feel a lot of them just push their own headcanon on to the characters and their voices and when they don't get what they want it's a problem. Especially on Tumblr theirs this one MoFo in particular who won't stop bitching about Jewish erasure and blah blah blah!!!

The fact that everything always ties back to something and nothing in this series so far has been throwaway info has been A Plus Writing!!
    I honestly don't mind the nerfing as I've always felt making characters so ridculously OP to be short-sighted as it often results in stories having to be written around the hero instead of for them.

I don't think Tini writes Billy all that diffrent than how he's usually depicted, he's still sarcastic, a bit neorotic all she really did was make him a bit more overtly camp and expressive. Billy might not have ever had the most bombastic personality but I've never found him lacking in it.

Also I think I know who your talking about, that guy who's up in arms against the MCU for making Wanda "white"?

I love Strikeforce, but I thought it was important to remember that I only have one thing to say about all of you, "You are just a bunch of Flirts!"

bunch_of_flirts.jpg
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I honestly don't mind the nerfing as I've always felt making characters so ridculously OP to be short-sighted as it often results in stories having to be written around the hero instead of for them.

I don't think Tini writes Billy all that diffrent than how he's usually depicted, he's still sarcastic, a bit neorotic all she really did was make him a bit more overtly camp and expressive. Billy might not have ever had the most bombastic personality but I've never found him lacking in it.

Also I think I know who your talking about, that guy who's up in arms against the MCU for making Wanda "white"?
    Yep that Mofo

Well said Journey! And I think I know who you are talking about.

That issue with Satana was hysterical.

"Yeah! Dress for the job you want!"

Again I love this series but I honestly feel one little spell from Billy can takeout Ghost..... And Damen and him are the power of the team why would they be the ones to stay behind...

I dunno...Maybe Daimon and Billy are off doing something else important and magicky? Though Jess has taken on Ghost by herself before so I'm surprised she's not all "Oh this guy again?". We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Mighty Member

Continued from previous thread:

So I just realized that the flashbacks we see in Issue 4 most likely mean that Blade's flashback in Issue 1 is also false? Or is Angela in the wrong here and the Vridai have been on Earth for longer than she realized?

Issue 5 is out next week - 1/8
    I've been thinking about it and I think Tini might have made a mistake by putting Blade in his 70s outfit when the script of the issue and the events suggest Blade immediately took the spores to the Avengers to analyze and Blade's never had the Avengers affiliation until recently. If Blade's memory isn't real nothing makes sense unless he's actually been kidnapped. Without Blade's memory he can't have the device made to track the spores.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Wish this was doing better as team books that can take a hodgepodge of characters yet get everyone working off each other so well and so soon are rare.

Oh well these days I'm simply happy if book I enjoy last's at least 12 issues.
    Yea, I'm hoping we get at least two arcs from this team. At the very least, even if the book gets cancelled, if there are enough fans maybe we see some of the plotlines and some of the relationships picked up in other books.