Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

So...I forgot this book was still going on.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Missing out on a good time
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

This Title isn't that bad. It reads pretty slow to me though.

I also tend to forget that this book is still going.

The team itself is really what makes this such a good read. All these Characters with nothing in common makes a fun team and the story itself is good because everything has purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue -- but seriously, Tini Howard needs to start giving us some explanation for this whole "Monica is an engineering genius" thing that seems to have sprung up out of nowhere. She was a police officer, and a boat captain with her own charter business. I've never heard her referred to as an engineer prior to this series, and now she's calling called one practically once per issue. I'm certainly not opposed to learning about new skills or interests for Monica, and with her relationship with Blue Marvel it is understandable that she may show more of an interest in science now--but this whole "engineering genius" thing is being pushed a bit hard given that it is not something that has ever been established in her backstory before (unless I've missed something--but since Monica has been one of my favourite Marvel characters for decades, I doubt it).

Despite my concerns on the whole engineer thing, I very much appreciated the spotlight Monica got in this issue -- which made the appearance of Moonstone even more appropriate, as she is one of the top names in Monica's personal rogues gallery. I'm not 100% sure that Tini's got Karla's voice right though--but we'll see next issue, when she gets more panel time. Maybe it was just her intro narration that referred to her "complete lunacy" that has me iffy about it. Although clearly Karla isn't entirely right in the head--she's a supervillain, after all--she has never been a nutcase or delusional. She's tended to be one of the more sane and rational of villains--a schemer, plotter and manipulator. I look forward to seeing more of her next issue, and seeing the latest confrontation between her and Monica. Its been far too long since those two have had another rematch!

Ghost certainly got put to good use here, and proved a very effective foe for the team--which is impressive, given the raw power and the skill of the heroes in question!

Jacopo Camagni did an excellent job as the fill-in artist here. Although I agree with the sentiment that Daimon needs to go back to his old look, Jacopo actually managed to make him still look attractive despite the awful makeover. I also liked his little touch at the Second Circle bar, with the "Hello There" neon sign above the bar having the O and T burnt out so that it says "hell here". That's an homage to the same sign in Selina Kyle's apartment in the BATMAN RETURNS movie. I wonder if Tini scripted that, or if it was a touch Jacopo put in himself?

Daimon telling Wiccan that sooner or later he's going to have groupies throwing themselves at him due to his magical prowess. That's an interesting thought -- it may have already started with Chasmodeus trying to make a pass at him back in issue #2. I wonder if this was just a throwaway line, or if Tini is plans to follow it up? This book is the first time Billy and Teddy have been apart so much since they became a couple as well as crime fighting partners. Having other guys throwing themselves at him while he is suddenly away from his fiance a lot could provide some dramatic and/or comedic potential.

This continues to be one of my favourite titles right now, and I am very much looking forward to next issue!
    Right....

This book needs a editor who understands the characters and their abilities.

I feel like this is a DC's Elseworld meets a What if...story with a bad plot. Moonstone is a psychologist, not a wanna be Doctor Frankenstein and while I'm cool with some exploration with Monica's powers she is not an engineer. This is not a focused story it seems to be just thrown out there. The team is cool as hell but I don't think the writer gets the characters.

I just wanna go to the writer and say "STOP, that's not how these characters work". Let me help you.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

This was probably my 2nd favorite issue so far!

It was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Seren; 02-05-2020 at 05:33 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Billy being able to see the future of all possible realities is a nice new feat for him and adds a lot to his future omnipotent status!! It also guarantees he'll never set foot on Krakoa Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Billy being able to see the future of all possible realities is a nice new feat for him and adds a lot to his future omnipotent status!! It also guarantees he'll never set foot on Krakoa Lol!
    I think that was actually a point in Death's Head. Glad to see Tini sticking with it. I would also read a Karla Sofen solo by her.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I also like that shortly after casually brushing off becoming the sentient life force of the whole universe, he wants someone to go into the creepy basement with him
    because it’s gross.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I didn't like this issue as much as the previous one, but it had its moments.

The whole Ghost/Moonstone thing turned out to be way less exciting than I was hoping for. Felt like a filler story, really. I loved that ending for Karla, though. LOL

The interactions between Daimon and Billy continue to be the hightlight of the book for me. I wonder what is up with that possible future Daimon saw. Is that gonna have any relevance in story or what? I would love to see Satana again.

Here's hoping the upcoming Deadpool story will actually advance the Vridai story more than this one did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Right....

This book needs a editor who understands the characters and their abilities.

I feel like this is a DC's Elseworld meets a What if...story with a bad plot. Moonstone is a psychologist, not a wanna be Doctor Frankenstein and while I'm cool with some exploration with Monica's powers she is not an engineer. This is not a focused story it seems to be just thrown out there. The team is cool as hell but I don't think the writer gets the characters.

I just wanna go to the writer and say "STOP, that's not how these characters work". Let me help you.
    I don't think its that bad, really. But I agree, her takes on a couple of the characters feel a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I would also read a Karla Sofen solo by her.
    Unfortunately I was not a fan of Tini's take on Moonstone. Her voice just didn't sound right to me at all. Karla is not as unhinged as she came across here, and this sort of experimentation scheme isn't really consistent with her usual behaviour either. Now, I can see Karla deciding to branch out and try other things - so maybe this was intended as a scheme when she could lay relatively low and raise some funds. But her personality just did not seem like the Moonstone I have been reading for the last few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The whole Ghost/Moonstone thing turned out to be way less exciting than I was hoping for. Felt like a filler story, really. I loved that ending for Karla, though. LOL
    I was bothered by that ending for her, since it is also portraying her as a lunatic, and that's not really how Karla's been portrayed before. Granted, no super villain can truly be considered fully sane - but she's never been written as crazy before like she was here.

The one good thing about it though is it does appear to help set up her role in the new RAVENCROFT miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The interactions between Daimon and Billy continue to be the hightlight of the book for me. I wonder what is up with that possible future Daimon saw. Is that gonna have any relevance in story or what? I would love to see Satana again.
    Agreed! I definitely want to see Satana and her club make a return appearance. And the Wiccan/Hellstorm scenes were definitely the strongest scenes of the issue.

I did also like the character stuff for Ghost, with the reference to his murdered girlfriend from his origin story in T-BOLTS. It was cool to have that history referenced again. Although I was disappointed in how Moonstone was handled, I thought Tini did well by Ghost!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I've been buying this for Blade. I like most other characters just fine with Wiccan being the one I know the least about. Angela is my least favorite, her shoehorned nature into the MCU shows.
    I hate Hellstrom's new look, not wild on Satana either.

I'm going to give this up to issue#12 cause it looks like that is at least as far as Marvel is willing to go at this point.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

New Issue of Strikeforce is out on Wednesday. This is the Deadpool arc

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    New Issue of Strikeforce is out on Wednesday. This is the Deadpool arc
    I'm so ready, can't wait to see how they end up fighting eachother by issue 9!