Page 78 of 111 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1655

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Looking to get caught up on Tony leading up to the new series. Iron Man 2020 necessary? Aaron's Avengers?
    You could if you want to, but it really looks like they will be starting fresh with this new volume.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

I just finished Marvel’s Avengers on PS4 and it was (more or less) fun. I loved Tony’s relationship with Steve and Bruce.

Mighty Member

I listened to part of the Cantwell interview (kinked above).

Not sure how optimistic I am about making Iron Man "relevant" by reverting to the Bronze Age. (Is there really a need to go back further than Ellis' run?)

I will buy the first few issues. But, I am skeptical.
    Last edited by CentralPower; 09-12-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I listened to part of the Can't well interview (kinked above).

Not sure how optimistic I am about making Iron Man "relevant" by reverting to the Bronze Age. (Is there really a need to go back further than Ellis' run?)

Same here. Nothing he's said has excited me. Everything he talks about just sounds stale.

Here is CBR's preview of Iron Man #1
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-tony-st...sue-1-preview/
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

This is my concern too. I like modern (Post Ellis) Tony. I just feel like no writer has really given him is due, other then maybe Faction.
    Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist

Most writers will go "back to basics" when starting a new title. Essentially they have to wash away the taste of the previous run so they pick a starting point closer to the characters roots and from there.

In this case, I'm glad Cantwell is taking this approach because the previous writers have screwed up so much of Tony's story.

I know people are trepidatious about Tony going backwards and I completely understand. Tony is always moving forward. Warren Ellis is my favorite writer and Fractions run is my all time favorite run, but Tony has gotten away from his humanity since he got Extremis. He has always been a man of the armor and he had become a man at one with the armor. It’s been a while since he was human and that’s what Cantwell is trying to do is bring him back to that. I have always liked it when Tony was a man in the armor, but I loved when he basically got super powers. It was great to see Tony transcending being human. Although it’s good to start off from scratch ever now and again. That is why I am so excited to see this run. Tony is giving away everything so he can see how a regular person tries to live and I don’t remember him doing that. How’s he going to deal with trying to live like a normal person, but with his huge God Complex. It will delve into Tony’s psyche which is incredibly interesting to me. Then there is CAFU’s art which is stunning. I can’t remember off hand seeing him draw anything before. Just look at that preview. The coloring is beautiful. So let’s give this series a chance. It’s lining up to be one hell of a ride.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 09-12-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I know people are trepidatious about Tony going backwards and I completely understand. Tony is always moving forward. Warren Ellis is my favorite writer and Fractions run is my all time favorite run, but Tony has gotten away from his humanity since he got Extremis. He has always been a man of the armor and he had become a man at one with the armor. It’s been a while since he was human and that’s what Cantwell is trying to do is bring him back to that. I have always liked it when Tony was a man in the armor, but I loved when he basically got super powers. It was great to see Tony transcending being human. Although it’s good to start off from scratch ever now and again. That is why I am so excited to see this run. Tony is giving away everything so he can see how a regular person tries to live and I don’t remember him doing that. How’s he going to deal with trying to live like a normal person, but with his huge God Complex. It will delve into Tony’s psyche which is incredibly interesting to me. Then there is CAFU’s art which is stunning. I can’t remember off hand seeing him draw anything before. Just look at that preview. The coloring is beautiful. So let’s give this series a chance. It’s lining up to be one hell of a ride.

Yeah, I'm very interested to see them get back to basics with Tony.

Astonishing Member

Tony is giving away everything so he can see how a regular person tries to live and I don’t remember him doing that. How’s he going to deal with trying to live like a normal person, but with his huge God Complex.
    Tony did do that at least once before, briefly, when he had his short-lived "Hogan Potts" alias. Tony wasn't exactly himself at that time though (beyond the obvious false identity thing) so this will certainly be very different from that experience.

As for what Cantwell's got coming up, it makes sense that Tony would want to take some time and get his head together--he's been through a LOT in the last several runs that can mess with his head, between the adoption reveal; the 2nd superhero civil war; his death and rebirth; his questioning whether he was truly himself or not, etc. That is bound to make someone want to reevaluate and figure themselves out again.

It doesn't mean that Cantwell is going to have Tony turn his back on technology forever. It just means that this is where he's starting out at in issue #1. We'll just have to wait and see how things develop from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Tony did do that at least once before, briefly, when he had his short-lived "Hogan Potts" alias. Tony wasn't exactly himself at that time though (beyond the obvious false identity thing) so this will certainly be very different from that experience.

As for what Cantwell's got coming up, it makes sense that Tony would want to take some time and get his head together--he's been through a LOT in the last several runs that can mess with his head, between the adoption reveal; the 2nd superhero civil war; his death and rebirth; his questioning whether he was truly himself or not, etc. That is bound to make someone want to reevaluate and figure themselves out again.

It doesn't mean that Cantwell is going to have Tony turn his back on technology forever. It just means that this is where he's starting out at in issue #1. We'll just have to wait and see how things develop from there.
    You’re right about the Hogan Potts thing. I just read that in the new Iron Man omnibus that came out so I should have remembered it. Although it was Tiberius Stone that made him do it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Most writers will go "back to basics" when starting a new title. Essentially they have to wash away the taste of the previous run so they pick a starting point closer to the characters roots and from there.

In this case, I'm glad Cantwell is taking this approach because the previous writers have screwed up so much of Tony's story.
    ^^100%.

While the Extremis era all the way to the end of Fraction's run was beyond fantastic and had some fun elements (including remote piloting multiple Iron Man Suits, crazy healing factor and communicating wirelessly)...I'm ready for a more "traditional" take on Iron Man/Stark.

Think the biggest draw for me is the focus on Tony; specifically Tony as the human and not Tony as the Superhuman.

In theory, there's no reason why this shouldn't be a good volume.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Here is CBR's preview of Iron Man #1
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-tony-st...sue-1-preview/
    It looks awesome. And I already love Cantwell’s writing. It feels like a direct sequel of Dennis O’Neil or Matt Fraction’s comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    ^^100%.

While the Extremis era all the way to the end of Fraction's run was beyond fantastic and had some fun elements (including remote piloting multiple Iron Man Suits, crazy healing factor and communicating wirelessly)...I'm ready for a more "traditional" take on Iron Man/Stark.

Think the biggest draw for me is the focus on Tony; specifically Tony as the human and not Tony as the Superhuman.

In theory, there's no reason why this shouldn't be a good volume.
    Agreed all around. Ellis, Knaufs and Fraction runs were EPIC! I think we may have gotten spoiled lol. Seeing Tony with those kind of powers were just mind blowing. I always remember the line Tony tells Maya in Extemis were he says "I can see through satellites now."With everything Tony has been through just recently wondering if he was still even human. It's time for Tony to get his humanity back. Also it's got everything set up to make this volume exciting.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 09-13-2020 at 04:09 AM.