• War of Realms

3 2.86%
  • Name your own that’s not listed

10 9.52%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default The Avengers Appreciation 2020

00C37E64-ADDF-4CBB-925B-D7139958BC73.jpg

Lo there came a day unlike any other, and Earth’s Mightiest Heroes were banded together. On that day the Avengers were formed. For 57 years, the name of Avenger has been synonymous with the words hero, and the best of the best, in regards to the caliber of the hero. We’ve had highs and lows for this team, but through it all, they’re the last line of defense.

It has begun again.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Tarot #1 just came out this week. It was a promising start. Avengers #29 comes out next week.

Happy New Year to Earth's Mightiest Heroes .
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It has begun again.

So I guess this means Cates' Thor is sticking around on The Avengers? Not sure how to feel about that.

Extraordinary Member

My biggest wish for the year, which I don't expect to happen, is an Avengers run that brings some of the classic supporting Avengers back onto the main team (not a satellite book or a weekly spinoff event) and gets back to treating the Avengers as a team with a history of its own and a core cast beyond the Big Three.

Hickman's run wasn't really about the Avengers, being more of a large-scale Marvel universe event; Waid's run mostly dealt with rookies and legacy characters; Aaron's run is Marvel Justice League. All legitimate approaches, but I would like to be under 80 by the time someone gets back to the Avengers' lore and their core supporting players.

Most people already know who I mean by that: the Janet Van Dyne Wasp, the Scarlet Witch, the Vision, Hawkeye, Hank Pym, Monica Rambeau, maybe Quicksilver and Wonder Man. (Only the Vision and Hawkeye have been allowed onto the main title since 2004 - unless you count Wasp's time on the Mighty Avengers, which, since it was clearly the secondary book, I don't.) An Avengers run doesn't need all of them but I think they are what the Avengers is about - if there was one book with Cap, Iron Man and Thor, and another book with three of those supporting characters, I would consider the other book the "real" Avengers book.

Again, I can see why they were mostly jettisoned from the book in 2005, because the book had become too nostalgic and too reliant on those B-listers who had been in the book since forever. I can't see why they haven't let some of them back onto the team in all this time, except that they think it would be too nostalgic or pandering to older fans. But if the X-Men can have their B and C-list mutants who can't carry their own books, why can't the Avengers get back a few of their old soldiers?

Always have and always will love the Avengers. In regards to the poll I had to go with the name your own cause my choice would be either Avengers Forever or Kang Dynasty.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

My Favorite is Assault on Olympus, by Stern, Buscema and Palmer. Also, Avengers Forever and Kang Dynasty are favorites not listed. Of those listed, Under Seige, Operation Galactic Storm, Ultron Unlimited and No Surrender.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    My Favorite is Assault on Olympus, by Stern, Buscema and Palmer. Also, Avengers Forever and Kang Dynasty are favorites not listed. Of those listed, Under Seige, Operation Galactic Storm, Ultron Unlimited and No Surrender.

Peace
    I tried to keep the choices to one epic storyline from all of the relevant writers. Trust me, most of those listed were on the first rough draft of the polling choices.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    My biggest wish for the year, which I don't expect to happen, is an Avengers run that brings some of the classic supporting Avengers back onto the main team (not a satellite book or a weekly spinoff event) and gets back to treating the Avengers as a team with a history of its own and a core cast beyond the Big Three.

Hickman's run wasn't really about the Avengers, being more of a large-scale Marvel universe event; Waid's run mostly dealt with rookies and legacy characters; Aaron's run is Marvel Justice League. All legitimate approaches, but I would like to be under 80 by the time someone gets back to the Avengers' lore and their core supporting players.

Most people already know who I mean by that: the Janet Van Dyne Wasp, the Scarlet Witch, the Vision, Hawkeye, Hank Pym, Monica Rambeau, maybe Quicksilver and Wonder Man. (Only the Vision and Hawkeye have been allowed onto the main title since 2004 - unless you count Wasp's time on the Mighty Avengers, which, since it was clearly the secondary book, I don't.) An Avengers run doesn't need all of them but I think they are what the Avengers is about - if there was one book with Cap, Iron Man and Thor, and another book with three of those supporting characters, I would consider the other book the "real" Avengers book.

Again, I can see why they were mostly jettisoned from the book in 2005, because the book had become too nostalgic and too reliant on those B-listers who had been in the book since forever. I can't see why they haven't let some of them back onto the team in all this time, except that they think it would be too nostalgic or pandering to older fans. But if the X-Men can have their B and C-list mutants who can't carry their own books, why can't the Avengers get back a few of their old soldiers?
    When you think about it each subsequent main Avengers writer is a huge contrast to the writer who came before them (Bendis -> Hickman -> Waid -> Aaron) so I think it's pretty likely whoever takes over for Aaron will at least have a better potential for realizing this.

BANNED

Exclamation First meeting of the original X-Men and the Avengers

Avengers #9 Jan 1965
    "Enter, The Avengers!"
    The X-Men follow their mentor Xavier to europe where he is hunting down
    an old enemy called Lucifer who is responsible for crippling him years ago.
    The villain has built a giant thermal bomb and attached it to his heartbeat
    to ensure that no one will want to inflict physical harm on him.
    Meanwhile, the Avengers are investigating the vibrations Lucifer’s bomb emanates,

The X-Men are forced to fight them in order to prevent them from attacking Lucifer.
    Meanwhile Xavier telepathically beats the foe without changing his heartbeat.

After explaining everything to the Avengers

Cyclops and Xavier manage to permanently defuse Lucifer’s thermal bomb.

NOTE: First appearance of Lucifer.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby with inks by Chic Stone.

Anyone know if there's a resource online that can give you all the Avengers lineups ever and what issues they span (including a single member joining or leaving the team)? I know that the Fandom wiki can be used to figure it out to an extent, but you still have to open up each issue's page one by one to get the information.

If there isn't, and people wanted to collaborate on such a list, where would be the best place to work on it?

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    Anyone know if there's a resource online that can give you all the Avengers lineups ever and what issues they span (including a single member joining or leaving the team)? I know that the Fandom wiki can be used to figure it out to an extent, but you still have to open up each issue's page one by one to get the information.

If there isn't, and people wanted to collaborate on such a list, where would be the best place to work on it?
    There used to be a site called Avengers Forever, but I’m not quite sure, was a pretty big resource I used when digging up information on the Avengers. Also, you could probably call up Kurt Busiek or Mark Waid. Other than Mark Gruenwald, RIP, nobody knows Marvel Comics continuity like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

I completely agree with you on everything you wrote

After being accused of being only nostalgic (even if not really because I read the older Avengers books in the span of the last six years or so) I decided to ask myself seriously if this is some sort of nostalgia. Do I just want the same things that had been written before, or was it something else.

I realized I genuinely liked those characters and the dynamics between them. I liked their interactions, their ways of dealing with threats and so forth. Do I expect the same stories to be told all over again? No, and I wouldn't want to. But those characters are what made the Avengers interesting to me, and that's why I'd like to read more about them. I don't think this is nostalgia, simply a personal preference.

And just like you, I would prefer a book about the old school Avengers B-listers to one about Cap-IM-Thor. They already have their solos if I want to read their adventures.

As for the poll, I voted for Ultron Unlimited, but there were a few really good suggestions in the poll as well as others not included. I also liked the Korvac Saga, Secret Invasion, and not in the poll but my favorite of all time: Avengers Forever.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

First of all: Wow! I love Jim Cheung's art!

I wonder what the drawing is part of. On his Instagram he says it should be in the sollicitations later this month.

Edit: Now I feel silly. It's part of the cover of the first issue of the Empyre event.
    Last edited by Mary Jay; 01-17-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff