Page 12 of 111 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

I enjoyed this issue. Dig the Mark I armor even if it is the MCU one. I will be buying all the tie ins. Some interesting comments about the Mandarin. I will have to re read it again and pay closer attention. Should be interesting if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Tony's parents die. Again.

Amanda returns.

Tony finally realizes he's the real McCoy.

New Suit of Armor.

Brand new company.
    Same ol' same ol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    They were bluffing (that's why there's the panel of Aaron saying "You blinked," as he threw a fake punch but Arno flinched) because the first issue is designed to portray the AI side as sinister and evil and Arno as the noble good guy even though he's efficiently killing AI just like his namesake kills humans. It was a stunt, and if they were actually after babies they could easily send M-11 to Death Ray them or something.
    M-11, the Human Robot? That's a good point! I wonder if the Old Agents of Atlas are too busy helping the New Agents of Atlas fighting Namor (in Atlantis Attacks), after all, Namora's part of the old Atlas team too. Otherwise you'd expect them to end up involved in this.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Same ol' same ol'.
    Yup.

The first issue was pretty good, I liked it a lot.

Arno has some serious mental issues.

How has Dan Slott's run on Iron Man been so far? I've read the first trade, it was good, but not the best. How does it get after that? Figured I might read the rest leading up to this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    How has Dan Slott's run on Iron Man been so far? I've read the first trade, it was good, but not the best. How does it get after that? Figured I might read the rest leading up to this event.
    The first collection should be one and done's setting stuff up, the real serialized stuff starts in the next one so you can try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I think it's pretty solid. If you're not hooked by the second trade then I don't think it's for you, which is fine.

I'm enjoying it a lot more then I did later ASM.

https://www.cbr.com/the-mcus-most-be...ewest-villain/

So i don't know if anyone else here has read this here on CBR, but now the A.I. Tony is Evil? And a Villian? Don't quite know what i think of this, but i wasn't expecting an evil Tony (unless it really is someone like the Mandarin).

Thoughts on this??

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman3000 View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/the-mcus-most-be...ewest-villain/

So i don't know if anyone else here has read this here on CBR, but now the A.I. Tony is Evil? And a Villian? Don't quite know what i think of this, but i wasn't expecting an evil Tony.

Thoughts on this??
    it'll work itself out. Tony's too profitable to do away with. maybe Kobik has been screwing around again.

Mighty Member

Tony's parents die. Again.

Amanda returns.

Tony finally realizes he's the real McCoy.

New Suit of Armor.

Brand new company.
    I mostly agree.

But, Amanda is not coming back, unless it is to dispose of her more decisively. Similarly, I suspect that this will end with Arno being revealed as being a fake of some kind, and never related to Tony. The net result will be that the adoption angle will go away, never to be mentioned again.

If I recall, (from back in 2013/14), the adoption reveal was foisted on Gillen, mid-run. He had not planned to include a reveal that Tony Stark was adopted. (Look at the God-Killer armor shown in "The Secret Origin of Tony Stark". It looks like a suit of Stark tech, almost as if Tony were genetically pre-disposed towards that design. The basic visuals imply that Arno was a last minute, and back-written addition.)

Gillen's comments implied that he had the idea to use Arno (who was "just there") for the adoption reveal. At the same time, Marvel was disposing of the old (DeFalco/Trimpe) Arno Stark, along with some other future characters in Remender's concurrent run on "Uncanny Avengers".

The old iteration of Arno (aka "Iron Man 2020) was one of a half dozen characters shown being pulled from previously established futures that were being wiped out by some kind of time-travel brouhaha. The common theme for most of those futures is that they were getting harder to justify as define as "distant". (Even 2099 is within an expected human life-span at this point.) If we assume that Marvel was initially planning to use "Secret Wars" (2015) as a way to dispose of the multiverse, then getting ride of established futures (and related characters) makes even more sense.

Since showing up in the early 80s, Arno Stark has gone from being a descendant, to a cousin's descendant, an off-spring of that cousin (in the 90s), a long-lost pseudo-sibling (during Gillen's and Bendis' runs) and will probably end up being some kind of evil techno-clone.

So i don't know if anyone else here has read this here on CBR, but now the A.I. Tony is Evil? And a Villian?
    Slott has been (bluntly) pushing the idea that natural and artificial intelligence are not meaningfully different. I suspect that this will resolve with Tony (natural or otherwise) being established as the hero.

Is there some reason that people are anticipating the Mandarin?

The first issue of "Iron Man 2020" implies a threat from space. That makes me think that Slott is planning to use the rogue Recorder bot (from "the Secret Origin of Tony Stark") and maybe Shockworker ("Fatal Frontier"). This would be consistent with the rogue robot theme. And, using the Recorder would be a good (if not perfect) way to "undo" the adoption reveal (which was only done to sell Bendis's run, which has in turn been forgotten) by revealing that the Recorder was lying (for some reason or another).
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I mostly agree.

But, Amanda is not coming back, unless it is to dispose of her more decisively. Similarly, I suspect that this will end with Arno being revealed as being a fake of some kind, and never related to Tony. The net result will be that the adoption angle will go away, never to be mentioned again.

If I recall, (from back in 2013/14), the adoption reveal was foisted on Gillen, mid-run. He had not planned to include a reveal that Tony Stark was adopted. (Look at the God-Killer armor shown in "The Secret Origin of Tony Stark". It looks like a suit of Stark tech, almost as if Tony were genetically pre-disposed towards that design. The basic visuals imply that Arno was a last minute, and back-written addition.)

Gillen's comments implied that he had the idea to use Arno (who was "just there") for the adoption reveal. At the same time, Marvel was disposing of the old (DeFalco/Trimpe) Arno Stark, along with some other future characters in Remender's concurrent run on "Uncanny Avengers".

The old iteration of Arno (aka "Iron Man 2020) was one of a half dozen characters shown being pulled from previously established futures that were being wiped out by some kind of time-travel brouhaha. The common theme for most of those futures is that they were getting harder to justify as define as "distant". (Even 2099 is within an expected human life-span at this point.) If we assume that Marvel was initially planning to use "Secret Wars" (2015) as a way to dispose of the multiverse, then getting ride of established futures (and related characters) makes even more sense.

Since showing up in the early 80s, Arno Stark has gone from being a descendant, to a cousin's descendant, an off-spring of that cousin (in the 90s), a long-lost pseudo-sibling (during Gillen's and Bendis' runs) and will probably end up being some kind of evil techno-clone.

Slott has been (bluntly) pushing the idea that natural and artificial intelligence are not meaningfully different. I suspect that this will resolve with Tony (natural or otherwise) being established as the hero.

The first issue of "Iron Man 2020" implies a threat from space. That makes me think that Slott is planning to use the rogue Recorder bot (from "the Secret Origin of Tony Stark") and maybe Shockworker ("Fatal Frontier"). This would be consistent with the rogue robot theme. And, using the Recorder would be a good (if not perfect) way to "undo" the adoption reveal (which was only done to sell Bendis's run, which has in turn been forgotten) by revealing that the Recorder was lying (for some reason or another).
    Well ive always looked at Arno being the "villian," not Tony. As far as the Mandarin goes, some of us were noticing that in the reveal of Tony at the end of Iron Man 2020#1, Tony kinda looks like the Mandarin, which he probably isn't, but it is an interesting "what if?" to chat about.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Iron Man and the Mandarin usually look a lot alike, except the Mandarin is coded as a savage, being taller, having coarser skin, and feral bone-structure. The Mandarin basically looks like Tony and an Uruk-Hai got into a teleporter accident or somehow had a son together.

The version of Tony at the end of the first issue has his face design coded in a similar way.

It's probably just an artist hiccup, but it has been fun for some of us to speculate that this is actually the Mandarin pretending to be Tony.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 01-21-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    That is a really cool variant. I might have to pick it up.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

So, how many of the Robot Rebellion seen in the first issue were we able to identify? A bunch were identified by name, which helps--but there were plenty of other cameos in the background.

I could identify:
    Machine Man
    several Nick Fury LMDs
    Quasimodo
    Machinesmith
    Awesome Andy
    Agent Cheesecake
    M-11, the Living Robot
    H.E.R.B.I.E.
    Albert (the robot Wolverine)
    a Sentinel
    Egghead (the Young Masters Of Evil version)

And there were three that looked similar to existing characters but not quite identical--so I'm not sure if that means that they aren't them, or if its just a redesign by a new artist:
    Tess-One
    Sapper (of Sapper and Golden Blade, old Ms. Marvel foes that made a few appearances in Busiek's IRON MAN run)
    a Punisher (the robot ones used by Galactus)

I noticed on the checklist for IRON MAN 2020 titles that the book that was originally titled "WEAPON EXE" has been changed to "iWOLVERINE". That's too bad; I like the original title better. Its weird that they still haven't announced any info about that tie-in, although I guess we'll know more when the new solicits come out later this week. Based on both versions of the title, I assume it will focus on Albert.