Page 9 of 111 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

So, as i got to the end of Iron Man 2020 #1, i realized something....i'm burned out on Tony being replaced...its like every 2 years, its time to replace Tony again lol. Since Secret Wars, Bendis had him for 14 issues, then replaced him, then Slott for 18 issues, replaced. It's not even been 2 years, the last 2 times....so a writer can't think up enough stories to keep Tony as Iron Man for 2 years? I guess it could be worse (The Crossing anyone?), in any case, ill follow 2020 to see where it leads, but yeah...burnout lol.

BANNED

Just finished IM 2020 and, boy, was it a blast! Slott and Gage are clearly having a ball with this and Pete Woods is absolutely slaying it on the art.

No spoilers here but Tony is very much going to be involved in this story and I dig the part he's playing. This is not just a case of Tony being replaced and sitting on the sidelines.

And as in Tony Stark: Iron Man, Slott is using the robot revolution to deliver some genuine laughs. One line in particular made me actually guffaw. I would quote it but I don't think it would read as funny out of context. Suffice it to say, I really liked the issue and I'm pumped for the rest of this event.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 01-15-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Just finished IM 2020 and, boy, was it a blast! Slott and Gage are clearly having a ball with this and Pete Woods is absolutely slaying it on the art.

No spoilers here but Tony is very much going to be involved in this story and I dig the part he's playing. This is not just a case of Tony being replaced and sitting on the sidelines.

And as in Tony Stark: Iron Man, Slott is using the robot revolution to deliver some genuine laughs. One line in particular made me actually guffaw. I would quote it but I don't think it would read as funny out of context. Suffice it to say, I really liked the issue and I'm pumped for the rest of this event.
    But is it Tony?

It doesn't look like Tony. It looks like the Mandarin with blue contact lenses.

iMan 42s

Finished reading it earlier today and thought I'd hold off for awhile.

My big takeaway is that this entire situation could be resolved with Arno having given a sentence's worth of an explanation months ago.
    Ultimately the book is fine but the book sets its main plot up on what could've been resolved by simply talking to Tony.

"That big threat turns out is a monster that is coming to Earth, where'd you park the Godkiller?"

Tony and Arno are well aware that 451 needed the baby for a reason, Arno knows what that reason is and needs the backing to defend the Earth. It's just that simple and it's caught up in a political message that while I'm not against, doesn't do the heavy lifting to explain what's happening beyond the superficiality of tying it to ICE and the constant immigration debate. So Iron man 2020 is trying to resolve Arno's objective as per Gillen and is trying to work in a political message that doesn't quite work as the situations are just that different and not explaining what rights are to anyone to be losing them. So basically this is the culmination of something that could've been resolved had Arno said something without much a fuss and a political message that isn't quite the same thing. Overall this is just a book that doesn't even require Tony to be absent for and more or less screams that it happened largely to superficially tie it into the original Iron man 2020, and be a shakeup considering how bad sales have gotten.

What's here though is fine, I wouldn't begrudge anybody to pick it up and outside of us waiting all this time for something that seems like it could've ran side by side it reads fairly well. The only major thing I disliked is how insufferable Sunset Bain is which is partially the point but nobody genuinely talks like that. That's just a personal issue though and doesn't really alter my score on this seeing as she's not in it that much. What will detract points from is that it doesn't read too much like a #1 and more or less setting up an event. It feels more like an Alpha than it is Arno Stark's book and I hope that tone changes because I just have no desire to pick up Tie-ins. If I suddenly have to pick up ancillary material to follow I along I feel like this book is gonna suffer.

B+
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Can someone post a picture of the reveal when Iron Man takes off his helmet and reveals that it is Tony?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    But is it Tony?
    Is who Tony? IM 2020? No, that's Arno. But Tony is very much a part of this story, something that becomes clear by the end of the issue.

I won't spoil it but it's a cool development and will surely lead to fun, unpredictable times ahead.

Was Tony in Avengers this week?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

"We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Was Tony in Avengers this week?
    He was not - although Nat was using the War Widow armor he designed for her.

Is who Tony? IM 2020? No, that's Arno. But Tony is very much a part of this story, something that becomes clear by the end of the issue.

I won't spoil it but it's a cool development and will surely lead to fun, unpredictable times ahead.
    I have the book. I’m asking is Mark even Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Can someone post a picture of the reveal when Iron Man takes off his helmet and reveals that it is Tony?

Because it looks like the Mandarin?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It doesn't look like Tony. It looks like the Mandarin with blue contact lenses.
    I thought the same thing. My hope is that all of this from the Gillen run forward was a byproduct of Mandarin’s memory altering ring.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-15-2020 at 04:04 PM.

He was not - although Nat was using the War Widow armor he designed for her.
    Thanks for the help Prof. Warren. It's appreciated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I have the book. I’m asking is Mark even Tony?
    Oh, well in that case - yes. I believe that's exactly what it is, no question.

If you say so. He doesn't look like Tony at all, especially not those eyebrows. Those are Mandarin's eyebrows. And that's Mandarin's forehead shape as well.