Page 101 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1655

Don't mess with Tony Stark's car.
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-tony-stark-car-melter/
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I don't think Patsy is kicking him when he's down. She's just trying to help him keep things in proper perspective, since his perspective IS biased by many factors (his wealth, his genius, his tendency towards arrogance and being a control freak, etc). She's using the benefit of her own experience--having grown up with a different level of privilege herself as a celebrity--to be able to somewhat relate to his own perspective and help shake him out of it. There is definitely a tough love tone to it, but it is coming from a place of trying to help him, not bash him....unlike virtually every other character in the series thus far.
    Patsy didn't grow up as a celebrity in the comics. She did have comics based on herself and her friends (the real life pre-Hellcat Patsy Walker comics) but that wouldn't make her a celebrity because most people would think she was a fictional character. She would've only become famous later. Unlike in the Jessica Jones TV show, where she was a child actress and the comics (represented by a real comic from the 2000s) were based on a TV show.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-13-2020 at 02:47 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The author was so prudish. Cartoons in the 80s and 90s always had adult humour.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Patsy didn't grow up as a celebrity in the comics. She did have comics based on herself and her friends (the real life pre-Hellcat Patsy Walker comics) but that wouldn't make her a celebrity because most people would think she was a fictional character. She would've only become famous later. Unlike in the Jessica Jones TV show, where she was a child actress and the comics (represented by a real comic from the 2000s) were based on a TV show.
    Some people might have thought she was fictional, but it was not a secret that her mother was basing the comic on Patsy's real life and those of her friends. The town she grew up in eventually became a tourist attraction, as shown in AVENGERS 2000 ANNUAL. Patsy's mother also pushed her into modelling and commercial work. She was not a super-star celebrity, but compared to the average citizen, yes, Patsy did grow up in the public eye and developed a level of fame.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It could also be cognitive dissonance.

There’s a lot of adult humor that you only notice when you’re older, so you remember the show as being “for kids”.

Tony Stark has a dark family history.
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-tony-st...amily-history/
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Tony is the star of the story in Marvel Action Thrillers #1 from IDW if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 11-15-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I don't think Patsy is kicking him when he's down. She's just trying to help him keep things in proper perspective, since his perspective IS biased by many factors (his wealth, his genius, his tendency towards arrogance and being a control freak, etc). She's using the benefit of her own experience--having grown up with a different level of privilege herself as a celebrity--to be able to somewhat relate to his own perspective and help shake him out of it. There is definitely a tough love tone to it, but it is coming from a place of trying to help him, not bash him....unlike virtually every other character in the series thus far.
    This is how I see their friendship as well. She is the person in his life that can see from that point of view. As far as the citizens kicking Tony while he's down. Well that is life. It tends to kick you the most when your already down. Also people can be extremely ungrateful. The people of the MU are taking Tony for granted and it's not surprising in the least. I am really enjoying both the writing and art in the first 3 issues. I see what Cantwell is trying to do with Tony and I'm along for the ride. Loving how Tony's rogues gallery is being used. CAFU draws them beautifully. The next issue can't come fast enough.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 11-15-2020 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    This is how I see their friendship as well. She is the person in his life that can see from that point of view. As far as the citizens kicking Tony while he's down. Well that is life. It tends to kick you the most when your already down. Also people can be extremely ungrateful. The people of the MU are taking Tony for granted and it's not surprising in the least. I am really enjoying both the writing and art in the first 3 issues. I see what Cantwell is trying to do with Tony and I'm along for the ride. Loving how Tony's rogues gallery is being used. CAFU draws them beautifully. The next issue can't come fast enough.
    This is especially true for citizens in the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is especially true for citizens in the Marvel Universe.
    Yep. My point exactly. They take super heroes for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    NYC residents of the MU are pretty cynical. But despite the adults in the room, seeing the kids react to Tony like that was really nice. He should take solace that the kids see him as a hero.

It's things like this that are making me like Cantwell's run. Patsy's acting like Tony's therapist and undoubtedly after all he's been through, he could use one. But at his core and despite his own doubt's and the way that he gets treated sometimes by regular citizens and other Marvel heroes, Tony's a hero. More people just focus on the bad things rather than the good things that he's done.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    NYC residents of the MU are pretty cynical. But despite the adults in the room, seeing the kids react to Tony like that was really nice. He should take solace that the kids see him as a hero.

It's things like this that are making me like Cantwell's run. Patsy's acting like Tony's therapist and undoubtedly after all he's been through, he could use one. But at his core and despite his own doubt's and the way that he gets treated sometimes by regular citizens and other Marvel heroes, Tony's a hero. More people just focus on the bad things rather than the good things that he's done.
    My issue with this is that she doesn't seem to be acting like his therapist, and frankly, she barely seems like his friend. She's picking the worst times to lecture him about his privilege.

I like social issues in my comics, don't get me wrong. But you have to do it right. Patsy's comments frankly come off as kicking Tony while he's down than actually trying to help him. Tony's going through a mid life crisis right now, and all Patsy is doing is shaming him for social privileges, usually at the worst time.

And by doing it right, you also have to look at the issues outside of Iron Man.

Last issue, the writer threw Cardiac under the bus. He was an African American anti-hero with a social conscience long before it was cool. That issue turned him into a cliche villain who threatened innocent lives.

This issue? Tony nearly murdered a man, and its glossed over. He knocked Melter out, and when the man was unconscious, dropped him from a height and debated catching him. I'm baffled as to how that's not attempted murder.

Instead of calling Tony out on that, though, Patsy lectures the man who's jumped up and down on the wealth scale for decades about how crappy business class is, and how committing suicide is worse than murder.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Not to mention having seen this episode, it's not at all *incredibly* sexual, which the author is likely describing as such to get clicks. Yike.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    My issue with this is that she doesn't seem to be acting like his therapist, and frankly, she barely seems like his friend. She's picking the worst times to lecture him about his privilege.

I like social issues in my comics, don't get me wrong. But you have to do it right. Patsy's comments frankly come off as kicking Tony while he's down than actually trying to help him. Tony's going through a mid life crisis right now, and all Patsy is doing is shaming him for social privileges, usually at the worst time.

And by doing it right, you also have to look at the issues outside of Iron Man.

Last issue, the writer threw Cardiac under the bus. He was an African American anti-hero with a social conscience long before it was cool. That issue turned him into a cliche villain who threatened innocent lives.

This issue? Tony nearly murdered a man, and its glossed over. He knocked Melter out, and when the man was unconscious, dropped him from a height and debated catching him. I'm baffled as to how that's not attempted murder.

Instead of calling Tony out on that, though, Patsy lectures the man who's jumped up and down on the wealth scale for decades about how crappy business class is, and how committing suicide is worse than murder.
    Didn't say she was a good therapist. She isn't trying to coddle Tony, looks like she trying the tough love approach. That may or may not work.

I guess she's approaching it from the "you've got money, fame, privilege etc." angle but like alot of people they don't realize that having wealth and fame doesn't shield you from mental issues.

Tony flying coach was hilarious. Dig all the old time villains.