Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 657
  1. #361
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    On the blue side of the moon.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Yeah, it's obvious that both books are ignoring each other, and might just as well be happening in different universes.
    It certainly feels this way. I hope they fix it or say something about it soon.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-14-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    " This is why you're the head of S.H.I.E.L.D, Stark. Because you're stronger than anyone. It's not the armor....and you know it. Your here because impossible things happen, and when they do, They call on you to deal with them. You see the angles, Tony. You always have. You see the possible solutions to things that shouldn't be happening." CAROL DANVERS

  2. #362
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, and that's not the only problem with Aaron's Avengers. Life of Captain Marvel included a nine month timeskip, during which Carol grew out her hair and was inactive as a superhero. In Avengers, it was suddenly long despite the fact that that issue occurred literally a day after the previous one - they didn't acknowledge the timeskip and simply updated her character design. They really should've had her gone for an arc. They've also been slow to adapt with Thor's new look that debuted a couple of months ago, he actually still has his old look in Valkyrie as well (also co-written by Aaron). She-Hulk's last solo seemed to be contradicted (she reverted to normal at the end and thus should've been her classic self in Avengers), forcing Aaron to retcon the reason for Jennifer's bulky Hulk form. And Captain America remained on the team when in his solo book, he was in prison!

    If he didn't want to deal with solo books, he should've used a cast that don't have them.
    Yeah. That sort of thing can often be a problem with team books, which is why I find its usually better when the roster has as few solo book characters as possible. The writers tend to have more freedom with what they can do, and it generally gives stronger storylines and less continuity headaches for editors, writers and readers.

    Unfortunately this book goes the opposite direction entirely, with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Black Panther and Captain Marvel ALL having their own books.

  3. #363
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,562

    Default

    Eh, I'd rather the books ignore each other, if the only other option is for Iron Man to become this bland background character in the team book. That used to happen all the time, and I hated it. The Big Three being written very blandly because the teambook writer didn't dare contradict their solo books. I'd much prefer to have the Big Three be active players in the team book, even if that means contradicting their solo books.

  4. #364
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Eh, I'd rather the books ignore each other, if the only other option is for Iron Man to become this bland background character in the team book. That used to happen all the time, and I hated it. The Big Three being written very blandly because the teambook writer didn't dare contradict their solo books. I'd much prefer to have the Big Three be active players in the team book, even if that means contradicting their solo books.
    Its not an either-or proposition though, and should never be treated as such. Its possible to have the characters be active without contradicting the other books. It just requires a bit of communication, that's all. Sure, some continuity quirks will always happen--but they can be small, and the exception rather than the rule...as long as the writers (and editors) simply make an effort to a) communicate about what is going on and b) allow space in-story for other events to occur.

    Some writers make the mistake of having the end of every single issue lead in to the next story, with no space between them. When you're writing in a shared universe (not just a team book situation, but ANY book in a shared universe where the character you are writing may end up guest starring somewhere else) you need to allow space for the events of other books to happen between issues of your series.

  5. #365
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    It just requires a bit of communication, that's all. Sure, some continuity quirks will always happen--but they can be small, and the exception rather than the rule...as long as the writers (and editors) simply make an effort to a) communicate about what is going on and b) allow space in-story for other events to occur.
    That requires communication, it requires that different series (with different writers) pace themselves in order to sync up, which is a constraint.

    The "triangle-number" era of "Super Man" (when DC published 4 Superman comics, 1 per week) is the best real model for this. Each writer was told where to start, where to finish, and how to get from start to finish. The results were readable, but generic, stories that were more about shuffling characters around than anything else. (If you are familiar with gaming, it was a "monte cargo" campaign.)

    Better to get solid runs of isolated comics than several series that fit perfectly, but have nothing else.
    Current pull-file:
    Iron Man 2020
    2020 misc (assorted one-shots and minis)
    Stealth
    Transformers
    Transformers: Galaxies
    X-Force
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

  6. #366
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9,317
    Quote Originally Posted by ???
    The world has changed, and so have I.

  7. #367
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    On the blue side of the moon.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    I’m digging that new cover.
    " This is why you're the head of S.H.I.E.L.D, Stark. Because you're stronger than anyone. It's not the armor....and you know it. Your here because impossible things happen, and when they do, They call on you to deal with them. You see the angles, Tony. You always have. You see the possible solutions to things that shouldn't be happening." CAROL DANVERS

  8. #368
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    On the blue side of the moon.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Was Tony in this week's Avengers? How was it?
    " This is why you're the head of S.H.I.E.L.D, Stark. Because you're stronger than anyone. It's not the armor....and you know it. Your here because impossible things happen, and when they do, They call on you to deal with them. You see the angles, Tony. You always have. You see the possible solutions to things that shouldn't be happening." CAROL DANVERS

  9. #369
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    2,826

    Default

    Get him on interiors please.
    Top 10 DC Heroes and 10 Villains
    :Wonder Woman:Huntress (Wayne):Vixen:Catwoman:Black Canary:
    :Hawkgirl (Kendra):Troia:Thunder:Halo:Madame Xanadu:
    :Emerald Empress:Circe:Granny Goodness:Cheshire:Silver Swan (Alexandros):
    :Golden Glider:Star Sapphire:Harley Quinn:Cheetah (Domaine):Queen of Fables:

  10. #370
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    On the blue side of the moon.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Its not an either-or proposition though, and should never be treated as such. Its possible to have the characters be active without contradicting the other books. It just requires a bit of communication, that's all. Sure, some continuity quirks will always happen--but they can be small, and the exception rather than the rule...as long as the writers (and editors) simply make an effort to a) communicate about what is going on and b) allow space in-story for other events to occur.

    Some writers make the mistake of having the end of every single issue lead in to the next story, with no space between them. When you're writing in a shared universe (not just a team book situation, but ANY book in a shared universe where the character you are writing may end up guest starring somewhere else) you need to allow space for the events of other books to happen between issues of your series.
    Agreed. They don’t have to be so far apart. All they have to do is communicate better. It’s not like it hasn’t been done before.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-15-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    " This is why you're the head of S.H.I.E.L.D, Stark. Because you're stronger than anyone. It's not the armor....and you know it. Your here because impossible things happen, and when they do, They call on you to deal with them. You see the angles, Tony. You always have. You see the possible solutions to things that shouldn't be happening." CAROL DANVERS

  11. #371

  12. #372
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Yeah, it's obvious that both books are ignoring each other, and might just as well be happening in different universes.
    This is how Marvel works...they feel no need to have people on top of continuity so that when the Avengers are doing the group thing...the individual titles are not in sync. Cap is a fugitive, Thor is mega-powerful with Power Cosmic on top of being Thor, Tony is 'artificial' in his solo....but Avengers ignores all that.

    I really wish the editors would be on top of it so it seemed like a cohesive story.

  13. #373
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Was Tony in this week's Avengers? How was it?
    Tony was in this issue for one page--which is actually more than most of the Avengers got. This issue was focused on the ongoing villains in the book right now (Namor, Dracula, Mephisto, Red Widow, Phil Coulson, etc).

    Tony was on one page talking to Thor, as Thor caught him up on the situation with the new Starbrand baby. Tony half-jokingly worried that the baby was his, but Thor assured him it wasn't. When Thor asked Tony about his adventures in the past, Tony declined to talk about it for now, since he's still too disturbed over it.

  14. #374
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    2,826

    Default

    I hope Slott gives us some revamps of classic Cold War villains like the Cobalt Man, Titanium Man, and Crimson Commando. It’d be super hot if he got Immonen to join him, and bring him out of retirement.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-15-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    Top 10 DC Heroes and 10 Villains
    :Wonder Woman:Huntress (Wayne):Vixen:Catwoman:Black Canary:
    :Hawkgirl (Kendra):Troia:Thunder:Halo:Madame Xanadu:
    :Emerald Empress:Circe:Granny Goodness:Cheshire:Silver Swan (Alexandros):
    :Golden Glider:Star Sapphire:Harley Quinn:Cheetah (Domaine):Queen of Fables:

  15. #375
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    On the blue side of the moon.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Tony was in this issue for one page--which is actually more than most of the Avengers got. This issue was focused on the ongoing villains in the book right now (Namor, Dracula, Mephisto, Red Widow, Phil Coulson, etc).

    Tony was on one page talking to Thor, as Thor caught him up on the situation with the new Starbrand baby. Tony half-jokingly worried that the baby was his, but Thor assured him it wasn't. When Thor asked Tony about his adventures in the past, Tony declined to talk about it for now, since he's still too disturbed over it.
    Thank you so much for the update. I figured Tony wouldn’t want to talk about what he went through in the past.
    " This is why you're the head of S.H.I.E.L.D, Stark. Because you're stronger than anyone. It's not the armor....and you know it. Your here because impossible things happen, and when they do, They call on you to deal with them. You see the angles, Tony. You always have. You see the possible solutions to things that shouldn't be happening." CAROL DANVERS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •