Page 55 of 91 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Steph and Bette would be iconic
    I'll write their team-up comic, "Blonde Justice."

One is doing it to get Robin's attention. One just wants to do good. One has Robin's attention. One doesn't. One has flair. One has determination. They fight like sisters until the chips are down. Then they're a sisterhood.
    Last edited by Chickfighter; 08-21-2020 at 05:57 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post

One is doing it to get Robin's attention. One just wants to do good. One has Robin's attention. One doesn't. One has flair. One has determination. They fight like sisters until the chips are down. Then they're a sisterhood.
    Would be great!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post

I've never liked the idea that Bette's starts being a crimefighter because she likes Dick. She started because she wanted to help her aunt. But yeah they are a sisterhood

I've never liked the idea that Bette's starts being a crimefighter because she likes Dick. She started because she wanted to help her aunt. But yeah they are a sisterhood
    When we get to Batgirl #23, we'll have a LOT of blonde justicing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

I know a lot of comic fans feel that way, but I think it's great. You see I get really tired of every character having to have some gut-rending traumatic past that has driven them to become a dark grim avenger. Obviously that reason isn't going to be why Bette stays with it but I think it makes her unique from all the other grim dark types which, yes, I know are popular. Obviously her motivation will have to morph, perhaps as she sees how what she is doing can positively affect other people's lives.

Has to morph, and has morphed; twice. The problem with Bette is that she keeps on getting reset to the “lacks any long-term motivation” status quo and needs to “grow up”. At least the first go at it, all that was needed was for Nightwing to reject her; when they took another stab at it the second time around, well… the pun wasn't intended, but is appropriate.

While I hate her Hawkfire identity, I'd much prefer that if and when they return to the character, they do so from there instead of regressing her yet again.

This being a Stephanie thread, let me contrast that with how Stephanie has been handled. On the one hand, Stephanie wasn't motivated to become a vigilante because of a crush; but on the other hand, she would likely have faced into obscurity had she not become Tim's girlfriend; so “I have a crush on Robin” was an instrumental part of her success as a character. And like Bette, she's an essentially upbeat character — though in her case, it's somewhat surprising considering her upbringing and the implied abuse she had to cope with. And while Bette had to get put in a hospital to get where she is now (or was, before she dropped back into limbo), Stephanie had to die before she started getting taken seriously.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 08-22-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Has to morph, and has morphed; twice. The problem with Bette is that she keeps on getting reset to the “lacks any long-term motivation” status quo and needs to “grow up”. At least the first go at it, all that was needed was for Nightwing to reject her; when they took another stab at it the second time around, well… the pun wasn't intended, but is appropriate.

While I hate her Hawkfire identity, I'd much prefer that if and when they return to the character, they do so from there instead of regressing her yet again.

This being a Stephanie thread, let me contrast that with how Stephanie has been handled. On the one hand, Stephanie wasn't motivated to become a vigilante because of a crush; but on the other hand, she would likely have faced into obscurity had she not become Tim's girlfriend; so “I have a crush on Robin” was an instrumental part of her success as a character. And like Bette, she's an essentially upbeat character — though in her case, it's somewhat surprising considering her upbringing and the implied abuse she had to cope with. And while Bette had to get put in a hospital to get where she is now (or was, before she dropped back into limbo), Stephanie had to die before she started getting taken seriously.
    Good thoughts. I do think that it's a big part of why Steph became Batgirl that she was killed "as Robin" (no, she wasn't technically Robin at the time, but they published a cover with her dead in the Robin costume).

True. She was already being fixed up prior to Batgirl, and had basically been brought back to where she had been prior to Wargames; so if Wargames had never happened, she might still have gotten the shoot at becoming Batgirl.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    The difference is that for Bette, neither one stuck. She keeps on getting shoved into Limbo just after attaining her cred, them coming back afterwards having been reset to the incompetent wannabe portrayal.
    Incompetent wannabe? They don't need another of those. Let Misfit be that and have everyone else be competent badasses.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I've never liked the idea that Bette's starts being a crimefighter because she likes Dick. She started because she wanted to help her aunt.
    Becoming a crime fighter to get close to Robin was actually the motivation for "Roberta the Girl Wonder" and not for Bette. At least in her first appearance Bette's main motivation seems to be, that she wants to be like Batwoman.
    But Bette became of course quite interest in later appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Incompetent wannabe? They don't need another of those. Let Misfit be that and have everyone else be competent badasses.
    Agreed. I was describing what I've seen happen, not what I want to happen.
    Rogue wears rouge.

I saw this in Batman 99 spoilers. Steph is here:

Batman-99-Spoilers.jpg

Yep. And the previews for #100 show Cass becoming Batgirl again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DropOfSaturn View Post
    Yep. And the previews for #100 show Cass becoming Batgirl again.
    And Steph has Batsymbol. There is a theory Stephanie could be Batgirl too, since Joker War Zone seems to mention both as Batgirls.

Although it is also possible Stephanie and Cassandra are still Spoiler and Orphan. Tim uses the Robin suit in Nightwing #73, but he is still Drake.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-24-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Becoming a crime fighter to get close to Robin was actually the motivation for "Roberta the Girl Wonder" and not for Bette. At least in her first appearance Bette's main motivation seems to be, that she wants to be like Batwoman.
    But Bette became of course quite interest in later appearances.
    I am so happy someone else remembered Roberta!

She had a great costume... and Robin did her wrong!
    Last edited by scary harpy; 08-24-2020 at 10:18 AM. Reason: grammar