Page 62 of 91 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    There are 4 Batgirls not 3! I'm sick of Bette erasure
    Sorry, no offense meant! I admit I don't know much about Bette. Can you point me to something like a good bio page for her so I can better informed?

Is she still active? I was thinking about the currently active roster of characters.

Batgirl cancelled - Babs is free
    Batman and the Outsiders cancelled - Cass is free
    Harley Quinn AND Suicide Squad cancelled - Harley is free.

I can't imagine DC will allow Batgirl or Harley to be out of publication for long. Both are part of Joker War (Barbara in a disconnected way due to poor editorial coordination, and Harley in a major way in Batman title).

Spoiler floating around obviously, and appearing more very recently, mostly due to Young Justice, than she had in a long time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Sorry, no offense meant! I admit I don't know much about Bette. Can you point me to something like a good bio page for her so I can better informed?

Is she still active? I was thinking about the currently active roster of characters.

I can't imagine DC will allow Batgirl or Harley to be out of publication for long. Both are part of Joker War (Barbara in a disconnected way due to poor editorial coordination, and Harley in a major way in Batman title).

Spoiler floating around obviously, and appearing more very recently, mostly due to Young Justice, than she had in a long time.
    Bette's history is a mess. I think currently she's been Bat-Girl (thank you morrison), Flamebird definitely happened and then the Batwoman writers gutted her and the she got tossed out into limbo. Last seen in Tyion's Tec at West Point which makes zero sense for Bette but whatever. If you ever want to read her, I have a great list of recommendations. Or you can get the shortened list that millernumber1 helped me make

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Bette's history is a mess. I think currently she's been Bat-Girl (thank you morrison), Flamebird definitely happened and then the Batwoman writers gutted her and the she got tossed out into limbo. Last seen in Tyion's Tec at West Point which makes zero sense for Bette but whatever. If you ever want to read her, I have a great list of recommendations. Or you can get the shortened list that millernumber1 helped me make
    Here's the list of Bette at the bottom here: https://www.reddit.com/r/batgirl/com...eading_guides/

(also, it's my current "what to read for Steph, Cass, and Babs" list too )
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Here's the list of Bette at the bottom here: https://www.reddit.com/r/batgirl/com...eading_guides/

That Bette list is the one you helped me with! We really need a omnibus for Bette stuff. I would love to do a Flamebird miniseries. I'd write and color it quite happily

Yeah, but YJ is cancelled too, so Steph is also free!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, but YJ is cancelled too, so Steph is also free!
    I think she'll be in use for a good while. Bette's in limbo so they could use her too

Incredible Member

also here's an overview of her first appearance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmkL4OugUxA

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I think she'll be in use for a good while. Bette's in limbo so they could use her too
    Should we go bother Tynion on Twitter ^^

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Should we go bother Tynion on Twitter ^^
    yes, i already bothered him about Bette

Incredible Member

Batgirl #23 re-read impressions:

Good cover.

Seemed to be an unnecessary amount of brutal violence and fatalities. Weren't the Reapers college students?

From their bickering, it truly looked like Steph and Gage were getting more comfortable and intimate with each other, making the later development sadder (to me).

To answer your question about the rushed Gage/Reaper past - well, BQM set up this plot, and it's not a good one, but he had to have it pay off - too bad it was just weird. I don't think giving it more time would have made it any better.

So, Grey Ghost was looking for Steph but couldn't find her, but told Gage how to contact her.... oooookay.

I like the misdirect, though perhaps it wasn't intentional on BQM's part, but the mention of Batman and Robin being otherwise occupied made it sound like they would try to serve as backup if needed. Makes it all the more surprising when the actual backup arrived. Certainly he left it as a surprise, whether or not he meant us to have been misdirected.

And I like the moment of bafflement when the Reapers wondered if Steph had magical powers when she yelled "Shazam!" (But what's an "incoming Sideways signal"? I believe there was or is a Sideways character, but not with the group that arrives.)

As for your other question, about the relationship: I actually don't like it that after all this growing closeness, Steph stepped aside and encouraged Gage to pursue Babs - in fact, he had just taken her hand! (Well, I assume he took hers, and not the other way around. We don't see how that happened.) We got more intimacy, and then Steph just walked away. (Well, hurtled away.) In mentioning Babs to him, it almost seems like this would have had to have been a first step towards Gage learning who she is - "What did you just... How did you?" He's a detective, and he's going to figure this out. Maybe BQM was considering bringing Gage onto the team in the 3rd year. But this would turn the aborted romance into a plot device to turn him into a member of Team Batgirl. Or maybe there was an editorial edict "No romance for Steph." Or "Leave it open for Tim." Certainly by now the series was wrapping up, so it didn't really matter what was done with the plot line.

I can grasp the idea that it's supposed to show maturity on Steph's part (which I think comes from something BQM has said about it), and maybe the problem was that she knew she was too young for him (though I don't think we've overheard her thinking about it that way). As the more mature one, though, it should have been more his responsibility if the age discrepancy was too great, but perhaps he couldn't tell how old Steph was under the cowl.

I always enjoy Steph throwing herself out of planes or helicopters, or into or off of buildings. It's a recurring theme in BQM's run, and I guess the absurdity of it makes me laugh. She's fearless and somehow indestructible.

The thigh belt was empty? Seems like there would be a point to that, but maybe I missed it.

A surprise ending setting up the series finale.

I guess the sum was greater than the parts here, or perhaps it's the connection between this and the fine finale, or the fun in seeing the backup team arrive, but despite my nitpicking I would still say I enjoyed the issue.

Earth-3 Stephanie (the Batwoman Steph from Young Justice) cameoed in Action Comics today.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Earth-3 Stephanie (the Batwoman Steph from Young Justice) cameoed in Action Comics today.
    Good catch. And as Robin in six panels in DCeased Hope At World's End #10 today, too. (Counting the panel with just the red boot.) With a couple of good lines of dialog.

What other character these days is appearing as Robin, Spoiler and Batwoman simultaneously this month?!

Do we know that for sure? If this is years ago, it seems odd that she'd be that large. Though it would be a fun nod from Bendis in Action to Young Justice. Whoever edits the DC wiki definitely agrees, though.

Good catch. And as Robin in six panels in DCeased Hope At World's End #10 today, too. (Counting the panel with just the red boot.) With a couple of good lines of dialog.

What other character these days is appearing as Robin, Spoiler and Batwoman simultaneously this month?!
    This month is definitely a big one for Steph! I do hope that she actually gets to do something heroic in Hope at World's End, though!
    Last edited by millernumber1; 09-22-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Batgirl #23 re-read impressions:

Good cover.

Seemed to be an unnecessary amount of brutal violence and fatalities. Weren't the Reapers college students?

From their bickering, it truly looked like Steph and Gage were getting more comfortable and intimate with each other, making the later development sadder (to me).

To answer your question about the rushed Gage/Reaper past - well, BQM set up this plot, and it's not a good one, but he had to have it pay off - too bad it was just weird. I don't think giving it more time would have made it any better.

So, Grey Ghost was looking for Steph but couldn't find her, but told Gage how to contact her.... oooookay.

I like the misdirect, though perhaps it wasn't intentional on BQM's part, but the mention of Batman and Robin being otherwise occupied made it sound like they would try to serve as backup if needed. Makes it all the more surprising when the actual backup arrived. Certainly he left it as a surprise, whether or not he meant us to have been misdirected.

And I like the moment of bafflement when the Reapers wondered if Steph had magical powers when she yelled "Shazam!" (But what's an "incoming Sideways signal"? I believe there was or is a Sideways character, but not with the group that arrives.)

As for your other question, about the relationship: I actually don't like it that after all this growing closeness, Steph stepped aside and encouraged Gage to pursue Babs - in fact, he had just taken her hand! (Well, I assume he took hers, and not the other way around. We don't see how that happened.) We got more intimacy, and then Steph just walked away. (Well, hurtled away.) In mentioning Babs to him, it almost seems like this would have had to have been a first step towards Gage learning who she is - "What did you just... How did you?" He's a detective, and he's going to figure this out. Maybe BQM was considering bringing Gage onto the team in the 3rd year. But this would turn the aborted romance into a plot device to turn him into a member of Team Batgirl. Or maybe there was an editorial edict "No romance for Steph." Or "Leave it open for Tim." Certainly by now the series was wrapping up, so it didn't really matter what was done with the plot line.

I can grasp the idea that it's supposed to show maturity on Steph's part (which I think comes from something BQM has said about it), and maybe the problem was that she knew she was too young for him (though I don't think we've overheard her thinking about it that way). As the more mature one, though, it should have been more his responsibility if the age discrepancy was too great, but perhaps he couldn't tell how old Steph was under the cowl.

I always enjoy Steph throwing herself out of planes or helicopters, or into or off of buildings. It's a recurring theme in BQM's run, and I guess the absurdity of it makes me laugh. She's fearless and somehow indestructible.

The thigh belt was empty? Seems like there would be a point to that, but maybe I missed it.

A surprise ending setting up the series finale.

I guess the sum was greater than the parts here, or perhaps it's the connection between this and the fine finale, or the fun in seeing the backup team arrive, but despite my nitpicking I would still say I enjoyed the issue.
    Given the radicalization of college-age youths these days, I find the violence sadly plausible. It is a tonal shift from the previous issues, though.

I think we are meant to feel the connection between Gage and Steph, which is why her decision to push him towards Babs is a sign of maturity - she is actually making a sacrifice, not giving something up that didn't matter to her. It's supposed to be a sign of her maturity - she's done a lot of growing up, and I think it was a good step. Maybe it was also to setp Tim or no romance or something editorial, but it has a strong emotional effect.

The Gage/Reaper plot I think it was decent - if we'd gotten the information over several issues, or at the very least, not in just one page, we could have seen why he became a Reaper.

Sideways is indeed a character, but he was created in 2017-2018, as a result of Metal. He and Steph hung out in the recent Young Justice arc (14-15), but there's no connection here.

Steph's battle with gravity seems to mostly be "Gravity hates me, so I'm going to do my best to show that I'm not afraid of it."

I dunno why the thigh belt was empty, but it's a funny joke.

Incredible Member

Given the radicalization of college-age youths these days, I find the violence sadly plausible. It is a tonal shift from the previous issues, though.

I think we are meant to feel the connection between Gage and Steph, which is why her decision to push him towards Babs is a sign of maturity - she is actually making a sacrifice, not giving something up that didn't matter to her. It's supposed to be a sign of her maturity - she's done a lot of growing up, and I think it was a good step. Maybe it was also to setp Tim or no romance or something editorial, but it has a strong emotional effect.

The Gage/Reaper plot I think it was decent - if we'd gotten the information over several issues, or at the very least, not in just one page, we could have seen why he became a Reaper.

Sideways is indeed a character, but he was created in 2017-2018, as a result of Metal. He and Steph hung out in the recent Young Justice arc (14-15), but there's no connection here.

Steph's battle with gravity seems to mostly be "Gravity hates me, so I'm going to do my best to show that I'm not afraid of it."

I dunno why the thigh belt was empty, but it's a funny joke.
    Gotta love that Steph's archenemy is gravity