Page 63 of 91 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Gotta love that Steph's archenemy is gravity
    A classic! Goes way back, too!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    A classic! Goes way back, too!
    Gravity is the worst

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Gravity is the worst
    Need to add more padding to the pants butt!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member

Need to add more padding to the pants butt!
    We were robbed of more Steph vs Gravity

Welcome to the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, Week 26! (Schedule starts here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4916669) Today, we're on Batgirl #24, "Unsinkable", written by Bryan Q. Miller, pencilled by Pere Perez, inked by Pere Perez, colored by Guy Major, cover by Dustin Nguyen.

Notes: We’re going to start at the end - “It’s only the end if you want it to be. Here we go.”

This issue wrecks me. No matter how many times I read it, Steph standing up to her dad, acknowledging their similarities, her own flaws and mistakes, but still a hero, then fighting one of the most terrifying drugs in the world and winning, earning the respect of her mom, the kids of Gotham she’s saved, Robin, and the original Batgirl (in this continuity) - it wrecks me.

Despite the compression of entire arcs into single issues, and the rushed feeling of the last issue, this conclusion works. Miller was wise to not try to split his story evenly - it seems clear to me that he put the major plot things into the previous overstuffed issue, and used this issue to really show how far Steph has come, and where she could go in our hearts next. So many rich callbacks, from the weaponized hallucinogen (Black Mercy) calling back to Thrill in the first issues, to catchphrases like “Here we go” and “I’m a real pain in the ass like that”, to the characters Steph has met along the way. It’s all there.

Steph’s vision while under the Black Mercy are by now well known to be future adventures BQM wanted to tell (https://stephaniebrown.fandom.com/wiki/Batgirl_Vol_3_24), and they are so tantalizing - to me, the time-travel adventure with Steph, Babs, and Cass stands out as what I really want to see most, but I’d love all of them, even the ones we could never see, like Steph in the future with a son, Nightwing (or Knightwing) agent of Checkmate with Nell Batgirl. It’s all gold.

A little trivia - the original single issue included a lot more than is included in the trades and the digital single issue - it’s a heartfelt thanks to all the creators involved, and us, Steph’s fans. We said goodbye for three long, long years. But we stayed around. Because if our girl never gives up, how can we do any less?

Cover: This image has become kind of a touchstone for me - I know it’s far from the first, but it’s the one that I first recognized as being a “final cover” - the hero combined with a huge cast of supporting characters. It’s beautiful, but bittersweet.

Discussion Questions: Which of the future visions do YOU want to see most? What is your favorite of Steph’s catchphrases? And which of the main artists (Lee Garbett, Dustin Nguyen, Pere Perez) is your favorite for Steph?

Bonus Comic: None - BUT if you thought this was the end of the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, you are incorrect! We have another four full issues to go! Tune in next week for Batgirl: Future’s End!

Incredible Member

Welcome to the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, Week 26! (Schedule starts here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4916669) Today, we're on Batgirl #24, "Unsinkable", written by Bryan Q. Miller, pencilled by Pere Perez, inked by Pere Perez, colored by Guy Major, cover by Dustin Nguyen.

Notes: We’re going to start at the end - “It’s only the end if you want it to be. Here we go.”

This issue wrecks me. No matter how many times I read it, Steph standing up to her dad, acknowledging their similarities, her own flaws and mistakes, but still a hero, then fighting one of the most terrifying drugs in the world and winning, earning the respect of her mom, the kids of Gotham she’s saved, Robin, and the original Batgirl (in this continuity) - it wrecks me.

Despite the compression of entire arcs into single issues, and the rushed feeling of the last issue, this conclusion works. Miller was wise to not try to split his story evenly - it seems clear to me that he put the major plot things into the previous overstuffed issue, and used this issue to really show how far Steph has come, and where she could go in our hearts next. So many rich callbacks, from the weaponized hallucinogen (Black Mercy) calling back to Thrill in the first issues, to catchphrases like “Here we go” and “I’m a real pain in the ass like that”, to the characters Steph has met along the way. It’s all there.

Steph’s vision while under the Black Mercy are by now well known to be future adventures BQM wanted to tell (https://stephaniebrown.fandom.com/wiki/Batgirl_Vol_3_24), and they are so tantalizing - to me, the time-travel adventure with Steph, Babs, and Cass stands out as what I really want to see most, but I’d love all of them, even the ones we could never see, like Steph in the future with a son, Nightwing (or Knightwing) agent of Checkmate with Nell Batgirl. It’s all gold.

A little trivia - the original single issue included a lot more than is included in the trades and the digital single issue - it’s a heartfelt thanks to all the creators involved, and us, Steph’s fans. We said goodbye for three long, long years. But we stayed around. Because if our girl never gives up, how can we do any less?

Cover: This image has become kind of a touchstone for me - I know it’s far from the first, but it’s the one that I first recognized as being a “final cover” - the hero combined with a huge cast of supporting characters. It’s beautiful, but bittersweet.

Discussion Questions: Which of the future visions do YOU want to see most? What is your favorite of Steph’s catchphrases? And which of the main artists (Lee Garbett, Dustin Nguyen, Pere Perez) is your favorite for Steph?

Bonus Comic: None - BUT if you thought this was the end of the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, you are incorrect! We have another four full issues to go! Tune in next week for Batgirl: Future’s End!
    First things first, thanks for the Bette acknowledgment. Second this issue is amazing and I wish this series hadn't been canceled for the inferior Babs runs. I'm very interested in Stephwing

Extraordinary Member

One thing about that cover. Bruce isn't standing in the group of allies and enemies. He's off in the back, and everyone on the ground is actually standing in his shadow. I wonder if it''s supposed to be symbolic of Steph moving out of his shadow by swinging above the ground and being at least partially in the white.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    One thing about that cover. Bruce isn't standing in the group of allies and enemies. He's off in the back, and everyone on the ground is actually standing in his shadow. I wonder if it''s supposed to be symbolic of Steph moving out of his shadow by swinging above the ground and being at least partially in the white.
    A very good observation - I think there's definitely the symbolic sense that all of these characters, heroes and villains, are inspired by/opponents of Batman, and the whole franchise grows out of him. I hadn't thought about Steph moving out of his shadow - that'd be a great question to ask Dustin Nguyen, if we ever get to see him again at a con!

Do we know that for sure? If this is years ago, it seems odd that she'd be that large. Though it would be a fun nod from Bendis in Action to Young Justice. Whoever edits the DC wiki definitely agrees, though.
    The costume design matches her appearance in YJ. And I think this Steph is older than the main universe version anyway, considering she calls herself Batwoman and not Batgirl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

A very good observation - I think there's definitely the symbolic sense that all of these characters, heroes and villains, are inspired by/opponents of Batman, and the whole franchise grows out of him. I hadn't thought about Steph moving out of his shadow - that'd be a great question to ask Dustin Nguyen, if we ever get to see him again at a con!
    That really is a cool observation. Who knows? It could have been conscious or subconscious decision, but it definitely fits the ultimate theme of the series.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    That really is a cool observation. Who knows? It could have been conscious or subconscious decision, but it definitely fits the ultimate theme of the series.
    i hope it was intentional because it's very beautiful

From Injustice:

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I’m just going to leave this here

Attachment 100981
    Joker War Zone #1 Preview!:

Batman-The-Joker-War-Zone-1-Stephanie brown spoiler Cassandra cain orphan.jpg

Astonishing Member

The "new look" for Stephanie and Cassandra:

Incredible Member

Title of the story is "the Symbol?" Can just make out the top of the words.

Appropriate, as they're clearly getting to use the symbol. The Batgirls are back!

(In particular, Stephanie's costume is essentially her Batgirls costume, except the cowl is replaced by the face mask and hood that her Spoiler costume has come to feature.)
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.