Page 19 of 91 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I think Bendis just referenced this on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9-5-MxJ6e_/

Although I admit I am not entirely sure how to interpret his comment.

Someone commented:

"Also I wonder how many writers will incorporate what’s happening now in future comic storylines..."

And Bendis responded:

"Actually so many of us are writing things away from reality. We were doing it already. Escaping this broken nonsense to a place we would rather be even if it’s filled with evil magic or alien armadas "

"Away from reality"? "Broken nonsense"? I guess he means restrictions on continuity.

While I've been confused about the crossovers taking place at the moment - Snyder/Tynion work with the Justice League and Lex Luthor did not seem to sync up with what Bendis was writing - I like it that different characters from different eras are popping up.
    […]
    After having read his X-men I can say his relationship with the continuity, with the other people's work and sometime also with his previous work is:

Toilet+Paper.jpg

I don't mean he thinks the continuity, the other people's and his previous work are something bad, but simply he don't care about.

Hey now, people are paying $50 a roll for toilet paper these days.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Hey now, people are paying $50 a roll for toilet paper these days.
    Wait, ok, I've seen the toilet paper joke a lot lately, but why do (I assume) Americans hoard toilet papers? Shouldn't it be anti-bacterial soap and hand sanitizer? ...and masks?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait, ok, I've seen the toilet paper joke a lot lately, but why do (I assume) Americans hoard toilet papers? Shouldn't it be anti-bacterial soap and hand sanitizer? ...and masks?
    I think it's a media-created frenzy - they hear on the news and get worried they'll run out.

We should write a Convergence or Contagion fic where Steph has to guard the grocery store against toilet paper thieves.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    It is antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer and masks. And gloves, bread, ground beef, milk, and eggs. And it's also disposable wipes and paper towels and tissues. And toilet paper. I work in the gig economy delivering groceries, so I'm seeing it up close and personal; people are panicking.

Why toilet paper? Heck if I know. All I can tell you is what is happening, not why.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    It is antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer and masks. And gloves, bread, ground beef, milk, and eggs. And it's also disposable wipes and paper towels and tissues. And toilet paper. I work in the gig economy delivering groceries, so I'm seeing it up close and personal; people are panicking.

Why toilet paper? Heck if I know. All I can tell you is what is happening, not why.
    Anyhoo. I still think Steph would defend that toilet paper with her bo staff!!!!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member

I have some questions for you!

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    OHFELLOW YOU FORGOT ONE IMPORTANT THING..

The image is in color:

Attachment 94754
    I'm not clear on what you mean. Did I miss something?

I think that they only that they learned here is that they were BATGIRLS in another timeline..
    Is something wrong that they saw that Cass and Steph were both Batgirls in another timeline? That was the timeline we saw through 2011. Cass turned over the Batgirl role, and her costume, to Steph.

Bendis was able to add her as ROBIN again and she appeared in the 80th robin anniversary too..
    I must have missed or forgotten this. Did Bendis add Steph as Robin somewhere?

I have some questions for you!

I'm not clear on what you mean. Did I miss something?

Is something wrong that they saw that Cass and Steph were both Batgirls in another timeline? That was the timeline we saw through 2011. Cass turned over the Batgirl role, and her costume, to Steph.

I must have missed or forgotten this. Did Bendis add Steph as Robin somewhere?
    I think adrikito is just talking about how Gabe Eltaeb posted the colored cover for Young Justice #18, after you posted the black and white pencils from John Timms

I think it's still a little bit of an open question whether the timeline that Cass and Steph saw in Brother Eye's files is completely back in continuity yet, so they aren't for sure restored to their history in the Rebirth timeline. Though they darn well should be.

Bendis, in Young Justice #5, indicated that Steph knew about her time as Batgirl and Robin, but not quite whether she remembered it (he implies that she doesn't).

That page implies that not only does she know, she's using the name again (she refers to herself and Tim as Batgirl and Robin in present tense). No doubt the Bat office said no, she had to remain as Spoiler - YJ is a Super office book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That page implies that not only does she know, she's using the name again (she refers to herself and Tim as Batgirl and Robin in present tense). No doubt the Bat office said no, she had to remain as Spoiler - YJ is a Super office book.
    I don't think she's using the name again. Just that she considers it part of her legacy, even if she doesn't remember (which this page seems to imply she doesn't):

Also this issue is great and everyone should read it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think adrikito is just talking about how Gabe Eltaeb posted the colored cover for Young Justice #18, after you posted the black and white pencils from John Timms
    Ah - well I didn't post those black and white pencils; I think Digifiend did. So, let's just call this a continuity problem in this message thread and move on .

I think it's still a little bit of an open question whether the timeline that Cass and Steph saw in Brother Eye's files is completely back in continuity yet, so they aren't for sure restored to their history in the Rebirth timeline. Though they darn well should be.
    I think DC has said in innumerable books now that all continuities that ever existed continue to exist. It was written in Doomsday Clock and in Flash Forward and the Flash special, and Bendis has been writing as if that is true. And not just because Bendis does what he wants. It's what DC wants. It was the thought behind Rebirth - that everything mattered. But I can understand people wanting more.

Isn't that time period simply "pre-Flashpoint"? If Steph was never Batgirl, then who was pre-Flashpoint Supergirl close friends with? And that version of Supergirl was around for 7 years. If you eliminate that character, then you'd have nothing but Silver Age pre-Crisis Supergirl, and then New 52 Supergirl, and no pre-Flashpoint Supergirl. Who was in countless crossovers during that era. Pre-Flashpoint existed, or never exist. Per Doomsday Clock, isn't this period before New 52 called Earth-52? (But I don't want to get deeply into the Generation stuff here, that just gets me more confused.) It not only happened, but should still be happening somewhere.

As for not naming Steph as a former Batgirl in the Robin anniversary spectacular, while they did state that Dick was Batman, not sure that bothers me. Robin's history stems from Batman and Robin, and this is a Robin special. It's not a Batgirl special.

But it doesn't mention that Tim was ever a Batman - which is when Steph was Batgirl. Are they therefore trying to blot out that whole set of storylines? Was Batman never lost in time?

We'll have to wait until the year 2066 for the 100 year Batgirl anniversary (if they ignore the earlier Batgirl-like people and start counting in 1966), but I think any celebration of Batgirl would include all of the Batgirls.

Bendis, in Young Justice #5, indicated that Steph knew about her time as Batgirl and Robin, but not quite whether she remembered it (he implies that she doesn't).
    Thanks, you are right! I agree, she states it as something she was shown, not something she remembered.

Ah - well I didn't post those black and white pencils; I think Digifiend did. So, let's just call this a continuity problem in this message thread and move on .

I think DC has said in innumerable books now that all continuities that ever existed continue to exist. It was written in Doomsday Clock and in Flash Forward and the Flash special, and Bendis has been writing as if that is true. And not just because Bendis does what he wants. It's what DC wants. It was the thought behind Rebirth - that everything mattered. But I can understand people wanting more.

Isn't that time period simply "pre-Flashpoint"? If Steph was never Batgirl, then who was pre-Flashpoint Supergirl close friends with? And that version of Supergirl was around for 7 years. If you eliminate that character, then you'd have nothing but Silver Age pre-Crisis Supergirl, and then New 52 Supergirl, and no pre-Flashpoint Supergirl. Who was in countless crossovers during that era. Pre-Flashpoint existed, or never exist. Per Doomsday Clock, isn't this period before New 52 called Earth-52? (But I don't want to get deeply into the Generation stuff here, that just gets me more confused.) It not only happened, but should still be happening somewhere.

As for not naming Steph as a former Batgirl in the Robin anniversary spectacular, while they did state that Dick was Batman, not sure that bothers me. Robin's history stems from Batman and Robin, and this is a Robin special. It's not a Batgirl special.

But it doesn't mention that Tim was ever a Batman - which is when Steph was Batgirl. Are they therefore trying to blot out that whole set of storylines? Was Batman never lost in time?

We'll have to wait until the year 2066 for the 100 year Batgirl anniversary (if they ignore the earlier Batgirl-like people and start counting in 1966), but I think any celebration of Batgirl would include all of the Batgirls.

Thanks, you are right! I agree, she states it as something she was shown, not something she remembered.
    What! A continuity problem in our beloved Stephanie Brown Appreciation Thread! Crisis on Infinite Appreciation Threads!

I like the idea that "everything is canon" even though I dislike the phrase often used for it, "hypertime." And I agree - I think Bendis is using the license of Rebirth as you say, not just ignoring stuff. And I like it - Rebirth is special to me because you could bring things back, and I like that about it.

The time period of "Titans of Tomorrow" is a bit nebulous, to me, whether it's actually the same as "pre-Flashpoint". I would like to assume so, but I also don't want that timeline to come true, so...eh. But if it gets me back Steph as Batgirl, I'll take it!

I don't LIKE that Steph's title as Batgirl was ignored, but as I've said before in the thread - I don't want to borrow trouble, and I'd much rather celebrate Steph getting a new story!

As for celebrating Batgirl - I personally hope that they do a 75 anniversary before they do a 100th. Though I'm more than a bit bummed that they're not doing a Batgirl 250. I did the math, and I think it would have been somewhere in the 40s of the current run (where we already are).

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Anyhoo. I still think Steph would defend that toilet paper with her bo staff!!!!
    "With her bo" or "with her staff": bo is the Japanese word for staff!

19380801.jpg

Extraordinary Member

For those who don't follow Marvel, over there Bendis is notorious for saying 'story will trump continuity' and then running roughshod over all continuity. DC thanks to its reboots every 2 seconds is like heaven for him. Why care what happened before when it's retconned almost as soon as the issue comes out?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That page implies that not only does she know, but she's also using the name again (she refers to herself and Tim as Batgirl and Robin in present tense). No doubt the Bat office said no, she had to remain as Spoiler - YJ is a Super office book.
    I thought the Batgirl and Robin on that page refer to Barbara and Damian? Tim and Steph told Barbara and Damian they're going to college, and they told the whole family that.