Page 47 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Welcome to the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, Week 17! (Schedule starts here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4916669) Today, we're on Batgirl #16, "The Lesson: Grass Before the Scythe, two of two", written by Bryan Q. Miller, pencilled by Dustin Nguyen, inked by Derek Fridolfs, colored by Guy Major, cover by Dustin Nguyen.

Notes: Nguyen adds so many great touches to this story - from the cuteness of Steph sticking her tongue out at the pursuing police, to the terrifying scene of her falling through the building. Steph’s determination really shows in her willingness to fight through the pain of her shoulder - it’s not quite the absolutely hardboiled fight scenes of Frank Miller, but it’s nice seeing Batgirl has what it takes, and isn’t just a quick fight with gadgets - she pushes through the pain, too. Babs’s pep talk to Steph shows what a good mentor she’s turned into, though her other protege, Wendy, is struggling a lot more.

Cover: Using the classic “Fugitive” and a spotlight pose that’s really reminiscent of Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive, I really like this particular cover. It’s also used for the original The Lesson (vol 3) trade cover. The specific use of red to outline the buildings and background seems like even more of a reference to the original Dave Johnson cover to the Batman 10-cent Adventure.

Discussion Questions: What do you think about the Order of the Scythe as Steph’s major villains for the second half of her run? How does Blink’s design look? How is the pacing for this arc’s resolution - too quick, or appropriate to get the year started?

Bonus Comic: none this week
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I like your take on it!

And a few pages back, she does think - about the Grey Ghost - "Zero training, and all the finesse of a dump truck." I think she should have said that out loud to Barbara rather than just thinking it - then she could say "Oh, I bet that's what all of you thought about me: no finesse!"
    Yep, it's a combination of irony and Steph realizing that the people she thought were holding her back were, from their point of view, only trying to protect her.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    Yep, it's a combination of irony and Steph realizing that the people she thought were holding her back were, from their point of view, only trying to protect her.
    Too bad they mostly did it in the worst possible ways and expected that to work.

Astonishing Member

It seems pretty likely there will be a general relaunch after Dath Metal (that should be ending in January).

I wonder what will happen with Stephanie.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    It seems pretty likely there will be a general relaunch after Dath Metal (that should be ending in January).

I wonder what will happen with Stephanie.
    I think it's quite possible, but don't want to assume anything right now.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Astonishing Member

So, Stephanie is using a Batsymbol in her Spoiler suit. I hope a change of name too.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/a682ec7d...62313d6af9.jpg

So, Stephanie is using a Batsymbol in her Spoiler suit. I hope a change of name too.

I don't mind Spoiler, though I would love to see Batgirl.

But man, that Batsymbol looks COOL.

Though...I just had a terrible thought.

What if it's the dream sequence that Tynion's been talking about

Incredible Member

Wow that's hard to spot. Black & white art intended for coloring is not easy for me to interpret (true b&w art uses shading more carefully and tries to use grayscale or dots to make elements stand out). I guess that's her in the 3rd panel, in the hood. What kind of mask? Can't tell. But almost looks like a domino mask more than a ninja or full face mask. Just guessing. And is that a Batgirl at the top of the panel? Which one?

Is that Batwoman in the second panel? Who is in the 5th panel? Looks like someone in a cape holding a bo stick. So that's Tim?

The woman with the glasses in the first panel is also wearing a bat symbol below. Sitting at a computer keyboard perhaps. Is this Babs as Oracle?

They're not going to hire me as colorist any time soon since I can barely make any of it out.

What is this from?

Astonishing Member

Wow that's hard to spot. Black & white art intended for coloring is not easy for me to interpret (true b&w art uses shading more carefully and tries to use grayscale or dots to make elements stand out). I guess that's her in the 3rd panel, in the hood. What kind of mask? Can't tell. But almost looks like a domino mask more than a ninja or full face mask. Just guessing. And is that a Batgirl at the top of the panel? Which one?

Is that Batwoman in the second panel? Who is in the 5th panel? Looks like someone in a cape holding a bo stick. So that's Tim?

The woman with the glasses in the first panel is also wearing a bat symbol below. Sitting at a computer keyboard perhaps. Is this Babs as Oracle?

They're not going to hire me as colorist any time soon since I can barely make any of it out.

What is this from?
    This is a preview for Batman #100. It isn't the final art, so it could be modifications.

The Batgirl seems to be Cassandra. Although I read the theory that Cassandra and Stephanie could both be Batgirls here (and that's why Stephanie has the Batsymbol). This theory is based in the Joker War Zone #1, when one story called Batgirls has Stephanie and Cassandra as protagonists.

The guy in a cape holding a bo stick has the Robin symbol. He seems to be Tim.

Incredible Member

Ah I see it is from DC Connect #3 which came out early today. It is somewhat higher resolution in the PDF.

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/dc-c...0/dc-connect-3

In fact now I see Steph is in her ninja mask. Still looks like Cass on top - the pouches on her utility belt look like the size of the ones she used.

I think that's the new character Clownhunter (based on his Mohawk) looking at a bank of 8 monitors featuring Oracle. It's clearer in the PDF.

The text says Batman #100 will feature a pair of short stories that will chart what's to come in Gotham City and Batman...

So - tell me what else I'm missing in these panels !

What is this from?
    I very much hope it's Babs as Oracle! It would very much fit with what happened in Batgirl #47 this week.

I'd probably make the logo smaller. I think it stretches too far across the costume.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I very much hope it's Babs as Oracle!
    And why is that?

Oh, wait, I bet I know- it’s because you’re an absolutely enormous advocate for representation for the disabled community in comics
    (and has absolutely NOTHING to do with “your girl” being a Batgirl again).

Yes, Babs is Oracle there - but look at what she's wearing. She's actually wearing a Batgirl costume too, just with her glasses instead of a mask. Looks like the three of them might be sharing a book when it relaunches. All three of them are Batgirl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    And why is that?

Oh, wait, I bet I know- it’s because you’re an absolutely enormous advocate for representation for the disabled community in comics
    (and has absolutely NOTHING to do with “your girl” being a Batgirl again).
    ... Let's not be passive aggressive. DC has had a history of trying to erase Oracle (mostly in the New 52) or mandating her being used as a villain. I very much believe it's where Barbara is at her most unique in the Batfamily whether she's disabled or not, especially given how much tech has advanced. I understand that some fans only want her as Batgirl, but frankly I don't care what role she's in so long as it's not stupid.