Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 684
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,260

    Default Stephanie Brown: Spoiler, Robin, Batgirl Appreciation 2020

    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  2. #2
    Stuck in Limbo again Red obin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Heres to 2020 and hopefully more Steph. Young Justice looks like a promising start.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

    "Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,802

    Default

    Over at the Doomsday Clock new Earth threads, I suggested that if Post Crisis story continues, Steph will remain Batgirl and all the Batgirl story in New 52 excepting the ones involving the Gordon family goes to her.

    The first New 52 Batgirl story is Dark Reflection where Babs faced a villain that forces his victims to face their dark past or dark side. What would be Steph's dark side/past that she will be forced to face?

  4. #4
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    22,327

    Default

    If they were to merge all the continuity, then I wouldn't expect Barbara's story to be severely affected - she'd just have been out of action for longer than three years and be in her late twenties (as she is now) instead of 21. But I do agree that it means Steph's time as Batgirl would've lasted longer. She would simply eventually go back to being Spoiler on her own, wanting her own identity. As such, there'd be a hole in Steph's continuity that needs filling in.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Over at the Doomsday Clock new Earth threads, I suggested that if Post Crisis story continues, Steph will remain Batgirl and all the Batgirl story in New 52 excepting the ones involving the Gordon family goes to her.

    The first New 52 Batgirl story is Dark Reflection where Babs faced a villain that forces his victims to face their dark past or dark side. What would be Steph's dark side/past that she will be forced to face?
    Bear the end of Jon Lewis' run, he was telling a story about how Stephanie had been abused as a child by her father's friends. I think that would qualify.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  6. #6
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    51,747

    Default

    Happy New Year to my favorite blonde, purple, Superheroine .

  7. #7
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,573

    Default

    Hooray! A new thread! It warms my heart to see the Steph community like this.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,582

    Happy New Year to a criminally underrated character.

    Steph will always have my admiration. She might not be the fastest, the strongest or the most skilled fighter of the Bat-Family but she never gives up and for that I love her. Underdog heroes are the best kind.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,260

    Default

    …and that's why this is the Unsinkable Stephanie Brown Appreciation Thread.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  10. #10
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Happy New Year to a criminally underrated character.

    Steph will always have my admiration. She might not be the fastest, the strongest or the most skilled fighter of the Bat-Family but she never gives up and for that I love her. Underdog heroes are the best kind.
    Well said. I went on a bit of a Wall of Text on twitter, as part of my 12 Days of Steph series, where I tried to explain why I love Steph so much:

    https://twitter.com/ibmmiller/status...65551478509568

    I first met Stephanie Brown properly while reading trade paperbacks of Batman: War Games in Books-A-Million at college in Tennessee, in the collected Batman 12-Cent Special (seen above). I was captivated by someone who had tried her hardest, and failed, & desperately tried again.
    It's taken me all 14 years since then to figure out why I loved her so much. It's because, to me, Stephanie Brown is on the outside of the "in" group (the Batfamily). She wants acceptance and affirmation and training and even constructive criticism so desperately.
    But try as she might, she can't find it. Stephanie Brown, no matter who is writing her, should always not quite fit. She should find ways to grow and find her niche, but she's never going to quite have the central place in other character's lives.
    And that's sometimes hard for me, both as a person on the margins of my friend groups, and as a fan of a character who is constantly ignored by other fans and the company who owns her.
    But the other thing about Stephanie Brown that I loved in that 12-Cent promotional comic: she didn't give up. Now, those who know about Batman: War Games know that editorial forced the stupidest possible ending on Steph - she dies, having failed yet again.
    But people who met her and loved her, like me, didn't give up. We remembered her, and when she came back, we embraced her with the same passion. She was Stephanie Brown, and we were her fans.
    The other two comics in this picture are a study in contrasts. One of the most famous covers from Robin of all time, #126, where Stephanie Brown bursts on the scene as the first in-continuity Girl Wonder, beautifully drawn by Damion Scott.
    And Wizard Magazine #150, a 7 page prologue to Robin #126 that has never been collected, even though it makes Stephanie Brown's motivations so much clearer in that messy event. I just discovered this comic a few weeks ago, and eagerly bought the mag off ebay. And it's lovely!
    So, apologies for the wall of tweets, but I wanted to take this time to insert myself into this series and explain why I'm taking just under two weeks to celebrate a minor Batman supporting character. It's because Stephanie Brown is always on the outside, but never gives up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    …and that's why this is the Unsinkable Stephanie Brown Appreciation Thread.
    That is indeed.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Bear the end of Jon Lewis' run, he was telling a story about how Stephanie had been abused as a child by her father's friends. I think that would qualify.
    Ah dang. Do I want to know?

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Ah dang. Do I want to know?
    Probably, yes. It was handled tastefully, and my biggest regret about it was that the story got cut short before Lewis could finish it. She was fast approaching the crisis point of that story arc and suddenly it was as if none of it had ever happened.

    Jon Lewis actually got both Tim and Stephanie right. As I've said elsewhere, his biggest failing in writing Robin was his reliance on weirdness in the costumed adventurers part of the stories.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  13. #13
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Probably, yes. It was handled tastefully, and my biggest regret about it was that the story got cut short before Lewis could finish it. She was fast approaching the crisis point of that story arc and suddenly it was as if none of it had ever happened.

    Jon Lewis actually got both Tim and Stephanie right. As I've said elsewhere, his biggest failing in writing Robin was his reliance on weirdness in the costumed adventurers part of the stories.
    I'm one of the Steph fans who thinks that while Lewis handled the abuse plot reasonably well, it felt really cliched, and the incredibly strange and off-putting plotting of the superhero side of the stories justly hold back his run from being better remembered. But it's a shame, since Steph was such a huge part of that run.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,260

    Default

    She was practically a costar.

    And yeah; the plot was “cliche” in the sense that it's the sort of thing that happens far too often in the circumstances that Stephanie grew up in — not just a poor family, but a dysfunctional one. I'd say that it's amazing that she turned out as well as she did; but I had a girlfriend once who likewise came from a broken home, and you'd never know it to look at her. As my girlfriend told me, you can either let it make you miserable, or you can choose to be happy in spite of it. In that regard, it goes to Stephanie's character: she refused to let her rotten upbringing destroy her.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  15. #15
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    She was practically a costar.

    And yeah; the plot was “cliche” in the sense that it's the sort of thing that happens far too often in the circumstances that Stephanie grew up in — not just a poor family, but a dysfunctional one. I'd say that it's amazing that she turned out as well as she did; but I had a girlfriend once who likewise came from a broken home, and you'd never know it to look at her. As my girlfriend told me, you can either let it make you miserable, or you can choose to be happy in spite of it. In that regard, it goes to Stephanie's character: she refused to let her rotten upbringing destroy her.
    Sounds like she was a pretty cool person. Steph certainly is a very cool person!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •