Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This is the 2010s cover for Robin 100 Page Super Spectacular by Yasmine Putri

The previous image is the 2000s cover by Derrick Chew.

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/stat...79058342903808

I'M SO EXCITED YOU GUYS. I AM BUYING BOTH!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wow, this cover is awesome! Steph looks handsome!

AWESOME.

I love her.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    AWESOME.

I love her.
    It's such a pretty cover, isn't it!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

simply stunning
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Really lovely! I love this kind of cute and energetic Steph!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    simply stunning
    She is, isn't she! I'm so excited!

Nothing against Stephanie (I'm also happy that she's getting a cover); but I find it odd that the girl who was Robin for, what, three issues? gets a cover while the boy who was Robin for a full year at the end of the decade (Damian) doesn't.

As I mentioned in another thread, I kind of wish they had gone with covers based on the five to seven Robins: one cover each for Dick, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, Damian, Carrie, and maybe Matt McGinnis; one cover featuring the “We Are Robin” gang (with Duke front and center); and one “group shot” cover featuring each Robin at the most iconic point in his or her Robin career. If make that last one the default cover, with the other seven or eight being presented as variants.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Nothing against Stephanie (I'm also happy that she's getting a cover); but I find it odd that the girl who was Robin for, what, three issues? gets a cover while the boy who was Robin for a full year at the end of the decade (Damian) doesn't.

As I mentioned in another thread, I kind of wish they had gone with covers based on the five to seven Robins: one cover each for Dick, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, Damian, Carrie, and maybe Matt McGinnis; one cover featuring the “We Are Robin” gang (with Duke front and center); and one “group shot” cover featuring each Robin at the most iconic point in his or her Robin career. If make that last one the default cover, with the other seven or eight being presented as variants.
    Not the place for this kind of comment.

Why not? It's not derogatory toward Stephanie. She definitely should be among the Robins featured; and as I said, I'm glad that she's getting one of the covers. Indeed, I'm far more of a fan of Stephanie, in all her roles, than I am of Damian. It's very definitely not a “Damian is better than Stephanie” post. Indeed, my preference would be that both of them get covers, which is why I stated my preference that every Robin should get one.

But the fact remains that Stephanie's career as Robin was incredibly brief, and Damian's has been considerably longer. If you're going to do the 2010s cover as “all the Robins” (which, IMHO, is another mistake here; the 2010s were clearly Damian's decade), and thus you're forcing us to choose between Stephanie and Damian for the 00s cover, then as much as I like Stephanie I don't see why she should get the cover instead of Damian.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Why not? It's not derogatory toward Stephanie. She definitely should be among the Robins featured; and as I said, I'm glad that she's getting one of the covers. Indeed, I'm far more of a fan of Stephanie, in all her roles, than I am of Damian. It's very definitely not a “Damian is better than Stephanie” post. Indeed, my preference would be that both of them get covers, which is why I stated my preference that every Robin should get one.

But the fact remains that Stephanie's career as Robin was incredibly brief, and Damian's has been considerably longer. If you're going to do the 2010s cover as “all the Robins” (which, IMHO, is another mistake here; the 2010s were clearly Damian's decade), and thus you're forcing us to choose between Stephanie and Damian for the 00s cover, then as much as I like Stephanie I don't see why she should get the cover instead of Damian.
    Where do you think a discussion could go that would appreciate Steph when the whole post is about how she doesn't deserve recognition compared to another character? How does the whole direction that pushes the conversation in support of appreciating Steph?

The way you phrased it in the Tim thread would have been a lot less implication of "Steph doesn't deserve it":

I'm surprised that Carrie upstaged Jason, and Stephanie upstaged Damian.

Personally, I think I would have preferred that they not go decade by decade, and instead give every Robin one cover each, plus a collective cover (or maybe two: one featuring each Robin as he or she was at the apex of their time as Robin, and another featuring who they become after their Robin days are over: Dick as Nightwing, Jason as Red Hood, Carrie as Batwoman (or Catgirl?), Tim as Drake (or Red Robin?), Stephanie as Spoiler (or Batgirl?), and Damian as Batman.
    Last edited by millernumber1; 01-26-2020 at 04:11 PM.

I wonder what Steph's story in the issue will be about. Whats everyone's hopes!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I wonder what Steph's story in the issue will be about. Whats everyone's hopes!
    I hope it's either something like the Brave and the Bold #13 crossover that had all the Robins at the time being warped to the same time to fight together to save Batman, or something like Damion Scott's Solo story with Cass helping Steph out when she was Robin - a "missing adventure" from her period as Robin. There could also be something from Tynion about Steph in current continuity as Spoiler investigating her "lost time" as Robin, or an AU where Tim is Blue Beetle and Steph is Robin (like Dixon pitched before 2002). So many options.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Where do you think a discussion could go that would appreciate Steph when the whole post is about how she doesn't deserve recognition compared to another character? How does the whole direction that pushes the conversation in support of appreciating Steph?

The way you phrased it in the Tim thread would have been a lot less implication of "Steph doesn't deserve it":
    I'll agree that my post came across more harshly than I intended. But even there, the bulk of my post wasn't about Stephanie not being worthy; it was about how everyone should get a cover — definitely including Stephanie.

Frankly, even with the “decades” framework, it could almost have worked: four covers for Dick (40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s), one for Jason (80s), one for Tim (90s), one for Stephanie (00s), and one for Damian (10s). But again, The “decades” structure forces too many conflicts that don't need to be there. And that's why I'd prefer that they just ditch that framework and give everyone their fifteen minutes of fame. Even the We Are Robin kids.

For Stephanie's story, I'd definitely like a “lost episode” from her time as Robin — though a story where Stephanie is reviewing the “missing time” and realizes that her connection to Robin is deeper than she previously thought would be interesting.

For instance: retcon her into the Robin War, revealing that she had temporarily put on the red and green and briefly joined the We Are Robin kids to help them out (retroactively putting her into the Robin identity even in the New 52 continuity); and maybe even show an alternate reality where Bruce had trained her instead of Tim as Robin (i.e., the “World Without Young Justice” setting shown in Robin #101).
    Rogue wears rouge.