Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    But it doesn't mention that Tim was ever a Batman - which is when Steph was Batgirl. Are they therefore trying to blot out that whole set of storylines? Was Batman never lost in time?
    Your timing is off there. Tim's one issue as Batman was part of Battle for the Cowl, which is before Steph became Batgirl - she took the mantle a few months after Dick, Tim, and Damian became Batman, Red Robin and Robin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Your timing is off there. Tim's one issue as Batman was part of Battle for the Cowl, which is before Steph became Batgirl - she took the mantle a few months after Dick, Tim, and Damian became Batman, Red Robin, and Robin.
    That's when he's Batman? That shouldn't even be counted because the whole story is about choosing who will be Batman.

That, and the Titans of Tomorrow timeline.

And yeah; while Stephanie's Batgirl title launched concurrently with Tim's Red Robin title and Dick and Damian's Batman and Robin title, it did take a couple of issues for her to put on her new threads; so technically Digifiend has it right.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    "With her bo" or "with her staff": bo is the Japanese word for staff!

Attachment 94782
    So what you're saying is that "bo staff" is the same as "knots per hour"?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I thought the Batgirl and Robin on that page refer to Barbara and Damian? Tim and Steph told Barbara and Damian they're going to college, and they told the whole family that.
    No, I'm pretty sure that it was Steph talking about herself and Tim.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So what you're saying is that "bo staff" is the same as "knots per hour"?
    […]
    No, it's like say crash of collision; like someone said time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    No, it's like say crash of collision; like someone said time ago.
    That's the joke I was making. "knots" is "nautical miles per hour" so "knots per hour" is "nautical miles per hour per hour".

But anyway, thank you for the info about Steph's bo. Or Steph's staff.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Yes, I have understood. I was citing a social advertising against the speeding: it said more or less this: «To avoid the crash of collision it is necessary reduce the speed.»

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    That, and the Titans of Tomorrow timeline.

And yeah; while Stephanie's Batgirl title launched concurrently with Tim's Red Robin title and Dick and Damian's Batman and Robin title, it did take a couple of issues for her to put on her new threads; so technically Digifiend has it right.
    The Batgirl book actually launched two months after Red Robin and Batman and Robin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So, anyone want to do a reread of Steph's Batgirl series? One issue a week! And we could do the side issues, too: https://stephaniebrown.fandom.com/wiki/Steph_as_Batgirl

So, anyone want to do a reread of Steph's Batgirl series? One issue a week! And we could do the side issues, too: https://stephaniebrown.fandom.com/wiki/Steph_as_Batgirl
    I don't have the trades handy unfortunately, but with DC Universe I could probably participate .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't have the trades handy unfortunately, but with DC Universe I could probably participate .
    I have the trades (originals and recent reprints) and also DCUniverse. I think it'd be a nice way to while away the time we don't have any new comics. It's been a while since I did an actual reread of the series - I've gone back and done bits and pieces many times. How about we start next week, if one or two more people are interested?

I have the trades (originals and recent reprints) and also DCUniverse. I think it'd be a nice way to while away the time we don't have any new comics. It's been a while since I did an actual reread of the series - I've gone back and done bits and pieces many times. How about we start next week, if one or two more people are interested?
    Same here! I'm down .

Incredible Member

I'd give it a shot. I have the more recent trades (the one that has 2 volumes), and a few individual issues.

Some thoughts:

At what pace? Issue by issue, or one arc at a time?

How much time for reading vs. discussion?

I wouldn't want to go too fast. And, new comics probably will be delayed 1 to 2 months. (I am hoping print comes back and without a massive delay.) Which means plenty of time.

An arc at a time might lead to too much delay between posts. Issue by issue might make more sense.

How about doing it an entirely new forum message topic, rather than doing it in this appreciation thread? It could attract more readers, and make for a livelier discussion. And, this is an appreciation thread, meaning criticism (if any) of any elements of an issue would not be the most appropriate thing. And criticism is always fair. How many books deserve a 10?

Of course there should be periodic posts here linking to posts there.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I'd give it a shot. I have the more recent trades (the one that has 2 volumes), and a few individual issues.

Some thoughts:

At what pace? Issue by issue, or one arc at a time?

How much time for reading vs. discussion?

I wouldn't want to go too fast. And, new comics probably will be delayed 1 to 2 months. (I am hoping print comes back and without a massive delay.) Which means plenty of time.

An arc at a time might lead to too much delay between posts. Issue by issue might make more sense.

How about doing it an entirely new forum message topic, rather than doing it in this appreciation thread? It could attract more readers, and make for a livelier discussion. And, this is an appreciation thread, meaning criticism (if any) of any elements of an issue would not be the most appropriate thing. And criticism is always fair. How many books deserve a 10?

Of course there should be periodic posts here linking to posts there.

My 2 cents.
    Excellent question! Since I'm doing the Tom King reread right now, and planning to start a couple other book clubs in other communities, I want to keep this relatively low effort, as well as giving us a nice amount of time to discuss. So my current plan is one issue of Batgirl a week, which will keep us occupied for at least 6 months. I also plan to have "bonus" comics, like World's Finest for Steph's first meetings with Supergirl and Damian, or Red Robin Collision. We'll also include solo weeks for the issues included in the most recent trades - The Road Home and Batman Inc. I'm also thinking about having a Future's End and Convergence week, maybe even ending with Detective Comics #980-981, since that's the most recent acknowledgement of her time as Batgirl.

I'd love to hear what other fans think about starting a new thread - part of me wants to keep it here, because my personal use of "appreciation" includes constructive criticism, as long as it's not bashing (that's the way I run the Tom King Batman Appreciation thread - we are certainly critical of issues in that run, but the overall purpose is appreciation). But if we have many people who think it'd get more traffic and we could keep the discussion civil there, I'd be open to creating a new thread for it. And, of course, if Steph fans feel that a reread club might be too annoying in this thread, and would rather keep it clear, please weigh in too!

Incredible Member

Excellent that you've given this so much thought. I'm not completely familiar with all of the other stories, but then again no one is asking any one person to have done so. Convergence is a fine idea. The more recent Detective is really a Spoiler story, so that could be for extra credit later.

It might be nice to dedicate a thread to a re-read so people who are interested in that - now, or much later in the future - can go through that without extraneous posts. Conversely, people only interested in things like upcoming Young Justice stories might want to only see them. But it's likely I'm overcomplicating things.

This is already a 20 page topic and it's only 3 months into the year, so the re-read posts would ultimately be utterly lost in a 100-page topic. And who would even know the re-read existed? I'm thinking about all of the scholars of the 22nd century researching all of this at archive.org. Heh.

What do others think?