Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 774
  1. #91
    Mighty Member SixSpeedSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I feel ya. Steph is my girl, so I'm buying just those two...but if she were in more, I'd probably shell out. Everyone gotta buy what they love best! I'm also buying the Deluxe to get all the covers at once.
    I understand, Tim was my gateway into becoming a regular comic reader. I loved Steph's Robin look, just a slight mod on Tim's and it looked great.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, and Young Justice.
    My runs: Batman #260- and Detective #444-, every issue since I was born.

  2. #92
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I understand, Tim was my gateway into becoming a regular comic reader. I loved Steph's Robin look, just a slight mod on Tim's and it looked great.
    Steph's hair is what gets me. It's so fiery!

    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  3. #93

    Default

    Tim Drake as Robin were some of my first comics to read as well, which also happens to be where Stephanie comes in.

    On one hand, I would have loved to have seen more Stephanie as Robin, and I was not at all amused by what ended up happening. But, on the other hand, it did lead to an awesome Stephanie/Batgirl series, so there's always that. XP

  4. #94
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaWoods007 View Post
    Tim Drake as Robin were some of my first comics to read as well, which also happens to be where Stephanie comes in.

    On one hand, I would have loved to have seen more Stephanie as Robin, and I was not at all amused by what ended up happening. But, on the other hand, it did lead to an awesome Stephanie/Batgirl series, so there's always that. XP
    That's a really excellent point! I've often wondered - if DC hadn't killed Steph off in such a frustrating way, would fans have loved her so much they kept asking for her to come back? Would Batgirl have been given her - Didio has been very open about how Babs was very close to being Batgirl again.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  5. #95
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    22,736

    Default

    I can't say this often enough - why does there have to be only one Batgirl? I don't see why Babs taking back the mantle meant that Cass and/or Steph couldn't still be Batgirl too. There's other mantles which are shared (disregarding Green Lantern), such as Flash, Superboy... even Batman (remember Batman Inc? And Dick didn't immediately go back to being Nightwing when Bruce returned during his second stint in the cowl).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  6. #96
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I can't say this often enough - why does there have to be only one Batgirl? I don't see why Babs taking back the mantle meant that Cass and/or Steph couldn't still be Batgirl too. There's other mantles which are shared (disregarding Green Lantern), such as Flash, Superboy... even Batman (remember Batman Inc? And Dick didn't immediately go back to being Nightwing when Bruce returned during his second stint in the cowl).
    Preaching to the League of Batgirls choir!

    But DC has really dumb inconsistencies on this issue, made worse by the Robin and Batgirl fan wars.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  7. #97
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I can't say this often enough - why does there have to be only one Batgirl? I don't see why Babs taking back the mantle meant that Cass and/or Steph couldn't still be Batgirl too. There's other mantles which are shared (disregarding Green Lantern), such as Flash, Superboy... even Batman (remember Batman Inc? And Dick didn't immediately go back to being Nightwing when Bruce returned during his second stint in the cowl).
    I have an answer for this and it's the same answer about the previous Oracle vs Batgirl topic but if I have to say it again, I'm gonna use a different, less polite metaphor than "fantasy girlfriend" so I won't say it.

  8. #98
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I have an answer for this and it's the same answer about the previous Oracle vs Batgirl topic but if I have to say it again, I'm gonna use a different, less polite metaphor than "fantasy girlfriend" so I won't say it.
    I just think that there's nothing reasonable preventing DC from actually trying a full League of Batgirls run, with true A-list talent.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  9. #99
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    https://www.newsarama.com/48839-robi...ed-a-week.html

    So, we have to wait a week for the amazing Steph covers. Sad, but rather have delays than rushed product.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  10. #100
    Astonishing Member Badou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I just think that there's nothing reasonable preventing DC from actually trying a full League of Batgirls run, with true A-list talent.
    Batgirl isn't the kind of brand where it can sustain multiple people wearing it. It devalues it and spreads it too thin across a few characters. It isn't like Green Lantern, Flash, or Spider-man. It isn't on that level.

  11. #101
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Batgirl isn't the kind of brand where it can sustain multiple people wearing it. It devalues it and spreads it too thin across a few characters. It isn't like Green Lantern, Flash, or Spider-man. It isn't on that level.
    Your proof?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  12. #102
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Your proof?
    I don't think there is a "proof". However, I think it is pretty likely this is DC's opinion in the topic.

    They just want one Batgirl. In general, it seems they don't want characters to share the superhero identity.

    They also just want one Robin. The thing of having two Robins for a while was more a charade to get attention on Tim (and he wasn't even Robin in-story), but this didn't last long.

    It is the same for Superboy. Bendis has mentioned will change of name.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-07-2020 at 05:48 PM.

  13. #103
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I don't think there is a "proof". However, I think it is pretty likely this is DC's opinion in the topic.

    They just want one Batgirl. In general, it seems they don't want characters to share the superhero identity.

    They also just want one Robin. The thing of having two Robins for a while was more a charade to get attention on Tim (and he wasn't even Robin in-story), but this didn't last long.

    It is the same for Superboy. Bendis has mentioned will change of name.
    DC's opinion on the topic is that Steph selling 20,000 is worse than Babs selling at 16,000.

    This is an irrational opinion, which supports my own belief that there are no reasonable objections to the idea of a team of Batgirls.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  14. #104
    Astonishing Member Badou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Your proof?
    It isn't really something you can prove. It is kind of an opinion and how I think DC views the property. Batgirl and her book aren't really on the same level as those other characters, even in other media. They are continually featured in long ongoing titles and multiple team books. They have TV shows, animated shows, and movies about them. It's only been more recently that Batgirl has been more featured in other media as a main part rather than a supporting one. Plus the Batgirl solo book has never been a chart topper. It's always been a mid to low-mid selling book. I just don't know if it is strong enough to spread the identity out over several characters instead of just focusing on one.

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    DC's opinion on the topic is that Steph selling 20,000 is worse than Babs selling at 16,000.

    This is an irrational opinion, which supports my own belief that there are no reasonable objections to the idea of a team of Batgirls.
    You are comparing sales from a book that started over a decade ago to current sales. That is difficult to do. Also I think your 16K number is off as you aren't adding in the card stock variant possibly. Still, it is tough to compare sales over such a long time. It is 20 years if you go all the way back to the start of Cass' run. The market and climate is so different even compared to the start of Steph's run to where Babs' run is at now.

    Here are the sales comparisons. From their first issue to last and where they were when Steph's run ended:

    Cass - 2000 to 2006 & 2008
    Batgirl Vol.1 #1 - 64,296
    Batgirl Vol.1 #24 - 43,782
    Batgirl Vol.1 #73 - 26,536 (last issue)

    Batgirl Vol.2 #1 - 34,404
    Batgirl Vol.2 #6 - 20,747 (last issue)

    Steph - 2009 to 2011
    Batgirl Vol.3 #1 - 51,670
    Batgirl Vol.3 #24 - 22,695 (last issue)

    Babs - 2011 to now
    Batgirl Vol.4 - #1 - 81,489 (#1 New 52 books has a ton of reorders I think too so this is probably wrong)
    Batgirl Vol.4 - #24 - 36,666
    Batgirl Vol.4 - #52 - 26,492 (last issue)

    Batgirl Vol.5 - #1 - 96,177
    Batgirl Vol.5 - #24 - 26,457
    Batgirl Vol.5 - #41 - 23, 889 (16,969 + 6,920 the nearly 7K was from the card stock variant)
    Last edited by Badou; 02-07-2020 at 11:56 PM.

  15. #105

    Default

    Speaking only for myself, I'd be all for a Team Batgirl book.

    *nod*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •