Page 22 of 91 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh, I love Mae Whitman. She just doesn't really sound much different as Steph then she does as Wonder Girl, which is probably why they gave her Spoiler voice that modulator .

I think they could have focused a lot more on the Batman Inc kids then they did, but then they probably would have been accused of favoring the Batfamily more then anybody else. But, again, too many characters.
    They SHOULD favor the Batkids. This is a Batman forum, after all. I'm allowed to be biased.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It's a shame - I feel like DC Super Hero Girls is a fun property, but I've never been able to get into it. Which...I'm a mid-30s man. I don't think it's bad that DC Super Hero Girls, aimed at pre-tween girls, doesn't really appeal to me. But there you go.

We'll have to see how they handle Babs in Harley Quinn. I'm not a fan of the capeless look, but that could just be the circumstances, not the normal costume.

I'm a big Mae Whitman fan, so I don't knock her for the voice. That being said, it would have been nice to have more focus on Steph than Harper Row...
    I enjoyed the original Shea Fontana DCSHG shorts (which are on YouTube, but I think are or were also available on Cartoon Network's On Demand, albeit in alphabetical rather than chronological order - which makes them hard to follow, because there is an overall plot and character progression over the seasons, as well as many 3 and 4-part stories).

You've probably seen them all, but if not, maybe check them out. They're basically 5 minute shorts.

But the current Lauren Faust edition? I find it annoying. Is anyone able to even comprehend Batgirl's manic dialog? Pick out actual discrete words she's saying? I believe they are digitally increasing the speed of her dialog. Can't believe the voice actress can actually sustain or even produce speech at that pace. I can follow her a little bit with closed captions.

(If they record the dialog first, then speed it up - then can you animate to the final audio. That's how you sync up the processed audio with the pictures.)

Diana sounds like a 40-year Greek woman; Jessica Cruz sounds like a 40-year Latina. The ethnicities are fine, but the age isn't - aren't these supposed to be girls? (Aren't they supposed to attending Super Hero High? In the Fontana shorts, the school was central, but I'm not sure if the school, or that these are school-age kids, is emphasized in Faust.) Supergirl is all-around unpleasant, with a characterization completely opposite the one she got in the Fontana version (obnoxious vs. sweet and shy). Batgirl was enthusiastic and resourceful in Fontana, but has an annoying mania in Faust.

The original theme was cute. The current one immediately announces "stand by for mania."

So, a few years ago I watched all the Fontana ones in their proper order and found them adorable. Obviously for kids, but I appreciated the life-lessons they were intended to impart. But are there even discernible lessons in the Faust versions? I just can't force myself to watch it.

I think there is plenty for adults to appreciate in the Fontana version, just as we can enjoy the charming DC Graphic Novels for Kids, if only for the art. But is there ANYTHING for an adult to get out of the Faust version? It seems to me a parent would simply tolerate it as just one of many headache-inducing purely-for-kids things their kids enjoy. An adult could watch and enjoy the Fontana version; they'll keep an eye on a kid watching Faust's, but just can't imagine them sitting there and tolerating let alone enjoying it.

I suppose I am expressing my own intolerance! I sure have a strong opinion, anyway. Chime in and let me know what I am missing.

Well, for a couple of reasons, I don't want to go too far down the road of talking about Super Hero Girls (I have watched most of the Fontana shorts, and a few of the Faust shorts - I find the latter cute but incredibly generic, and the latter rich in gags but also stereotypes, and both painfully shallow) - first, Steph's not in it (if she shows up, of course, I'd love to talk more about it), and second, I'm planning to start the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread here in the thread tonight.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Chime in and let me know what I am missing.
    Possibly in another thread, as opposed to Stephanie's Appreciation thread?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Possibly in another thread, as opposed to Stephanie's Appreciation thread?
    hah, beat you to it!

And given how short my reply was, that's saying something.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 04-04-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Welcome to the Batgirl Stephanie Brown Reread! During this time of no new comics from DC, I wanted to maintain a regular pattern of reading comics on Wednesdays, and since I haven’t done a reread of my favorite Batgirl run in a few years, I thought this would be a nice way to do it! The plan is to read one issue a week of the main series, with bonus issues listed alongside them in the schedule. This follows the layout of the new two-volume set of Steph’s Batgirl adventures, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (highly worthwhile - even though I have the three original trades, I did get the new trades digitally).

My thoughts after reading Batgirl #1: The series starts out both brilliantly and a bit rough. Babs is actually the most consistent thing about it, for me, given that her voice and situation is pretty much perfectly continuing from the mess that Batman RIP made of the Birds of Prey/Oracle: The Cure. It takes a bit to get used to this Steph - she’s more polished, more TV-show dialogue than previously written by Fabian Nicieza (which is a good thing, let me be clear, but different). The introduction of Nick Gage is nice, serving sort of as an audience surrogate, parallel to Steph starting a new phase of her life. The non-chronological way of starting the story is also fun - it didn’t really continue past the first arc, and I wonder if it was influenced by the Nolan films (the visual nod in Steph’s Bat doodles in her notebook implies that it was a pretty heavy influence in general in 2009). This issue is also very much written "for the arc" (not necessarily the trade), leaving on a cliffhanger without really resolving much - Steph's decision about being a hero, or the villains she's facing. I mention this because Bryan Q. Miller (henceforth BQM) became known for writing really excellent one-shots that also built the main plot forward (another very common TV writer trait at the time, sadly no more today).

Overall, while really fun, and I distinctly remember leafing through this comic in the shop at the time and thinking, “Well, it’s about time that Steph had something go well for her at DC”, it didn’t fully hint at the greatness that was to come. Yet. Please chime in with your thoughts about this first issue throughout the week!

Here we go!

Schedule:
    (follows: https://stephaniebrown.fandom.com/wiki/Steph_as_Batgirl)
    Week 1: Batgirl #1
    Week 2: Batgirl #2
    Week 3: Batgirl #3
    Week 4: Batgirl #4 (The Web #3 bonus)
    Week 5: Batgirl #5 (World’s Finest #3 bonus)
    Week 6: Batgirl #6 (World’s Finest #4 bonus)
    Week 7: Batgirl #7
    Week 8: Batgirl #8 (Collision - Red Robin #9-12 bonus)
    Week 9: Batgirl #9
    Week 10: Batgirl #10
    Week 11: Batgirl #11 (Wonder Woman #600 bonus)
    Week 12: Batgirl #12 (Adventure Comics #516-517 bonus)
    Week 13: Batgirl #13 (Red Robin #15 bonus)
    Week 14: Batgirl #14
    Week 15: Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Batgirl
    Week 16: Batgirl #15 (Batman The Return bonus)
    Week 17: Batgirl #16
    Week 18: Batgirl #17 (Supergirl #60 bonus material)
    Week 19: Batgirl #18 (Red Robin #20 bonus)
    Week 20: Batgirl #19 (Bird of Prey #10 bonus)
    Week 21: Batgirl #20
    Week 22: Batgirl #21 (Batman Inc #6 bonus)
    Week 23: Batgirl #22
    Week 24: Batman Incorporated Special (All New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13 bonus)
    Week 25: Batgirl #23
    Week 26: Batgirl #24
    Week 27: Future’s End: Batgirl
    Week 28: Convergence: Batgirl #1
    Week 29: Convergence: Batgirl #2
    Week 30: Detective Comics #980-981
    Last edited by millernumber1; 08-05-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Sorry about that detour, folks. On to the reread....

Suggestion: Include the cover of the issue in the re-read posts.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Suggestion: Include the cover of the issue in the re-read posts.
    Good call, will do!

Incredible Member

For the Batgirl Reread, #1:

The whole 24-issue run was blessed by great cover artists - Phil Noto, Artgerm, Dustin Nguyen. (Remember when Noto did work for DC?)

I wonder if it was a deliberate bookend, or if it even seems like one to anyone else, but in issue #1 her mother tells Steph "You can be anyone you want to be" while issue #24 ends with an echo, where Steph says "It's only the end if you want it to be." The meaning feels right - Steph not only can be Batgirl (not what her mother meant, of course, but it's what BQM is foreshadowing), but in some version of reality she still is Batgirl. And of course both sentences end with almost the same words.

Assuming college class numbering is at least somewhat standard, Philosophy 480 would not be an entry-level required philosophy course. Philosophy 101 would be more like it. Perhaps BQM wanted to avoid the cliche.

Dick and Damien watching from a distance don't know who she is, but Barbara not only knows there is a new Batgirl out there, but deduces who it is? Maybe Cass told her - there is a scene in some later issue (I don't remember which) where Cass is leaving town, so I guess Cass also took the time to tell Barbara. Or, Oracle just knows things. She may be in a bad emotional place right now, but she's still Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    For the Batgirl Reread, #1:

The whole 24-issue run was blessed by great cover artists - Phil Noto, Artgerm, Dustin Nguyen. (Remember when Noto did work for DC?)

I wonder if it was a deliberate bookend, or if it even seems like one to anyone else, but in issue #1 her mother tells Steph "You can be anyone you want to be" while issue #24 ends with an echo, where Steph says "It's only the end if you want it to be." The meaning feels right - Steph not only can be Batgirl (not what her mother meant, of course, but it's what BQM is foreshadowing), but in some version of reality she still is Batgirl. And of course both sentences end with almost the same words.

Assuming college class numbering is at least somewhat standard, Philosophy 480 would not be an entry-level required philosophy course. Philosophy 101 would be more like it. Perhaps BQM wanted to avoid the cliche.

Dick and Damien watching from a distance don't know who she is, but Barbara not only knows there is a new Batgirl out there, but deduces who it is? Maybe Cass told her - there is a scene in some later issue (I don't remember which) where Cass is leaving town, so I guess Cass also took the time to tell Barbara. Or, Oracle just knows things. She may be in a bad emotional place right now, but she's still Barbara.
    The whole cover run was indeed gorgeous. I miss Noto on Birds of Prey and Steph, but his Black Widow stuff was amazing. I really like how much he played with light in this first cover - the highlights off of Cass's suit with Steph in it are really beautiful.

That's a really good point about the verbal echo - BQM did a LOT with writing craft in the run. From catchphrases ("Here we go") to thematic repetition ("It's about hope") to things like what you're pointing out - there's just so much that signals he took it really seriously and had a huge level of artistic deliberation.

I think the class numbering is probably either a joke that I don't get (a reference to something), or maybe a reference to a course that BQM himself took in college.

I think she probably did a lot of footage analysis, rather than just seeing her from a long ways off, so Babs knowing doesn't feel off to me. Oracle is always watching...

I'm kind of curious now with Stephine in YJ. Do you guys think we could see more of her in other animation media?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm kind of curious now with Stephine in YJ. Do you guys think we could see more of her in other animation media?
    I feel like we'd have to have a significantly larger number of animated shows for that. I don't see it super likely (but also it's not impossible) to see her on Harley Quinn, but other than those two, what animated shows are going on right now?

Just the movies - but those didn't use Tim, let alone Steph. I hear they're rebooting after the next one though?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman