Page 30 of 91 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    World's Finest #3 re-read:

Some background since most likely very few people reading this discussion have read this World's Finest series.

As a World's Finest, there are a Superman and a Batman character in each book:

#1: Red Robin (Tim) and Nightwing (Chrisopher Kent);

#2: Robin (Damian) and Guardian (who is helping patrol Metropolis during Superman's absence on New Krypton);

#3: Batgirl (Steph) and Supergirl;

#4: Batman (Dick) and Superman, along with Batgirl and Supergirl.

It's an utterly ridiculous story, but fun.

The mini-series is a cross between a sitcom and a CSI - at least, the first 2 books in the series are kind of standalone adventures that ultimately have nothing to do with where the story is going, except that the final scene in each leads into the real story.

Very little in any of the books makes sense, like what Penguin is doing with Kryptonite Man; why Parasite and Mr. Freeze are working together (their plan is half-baked and doomed to utter failure, and there is virtually no reason for Mr. Freeze to think Parasite will work with him after he's grown in power); why Mr. Freeze starts working with Toy Man (he does start to give some exposition, but it's simply interrupted mid-sentence, and I don't recall any other time his willing involvement is explained); or why he actually seems to think Toy Man's robot/bomb is his own - or at least takes enough pride in his work to call it "my machine."

Robot/bomb meant to zoom across the solar system to destroy all of New Krypton? Totally silly.

It comes in #4, but as Damian says, "A giant Superman/Batman robot? That might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard." Dick replies "Robin. Focus. Toyman built one of these once before. It took a meteor the size of Brazil to destroy that one." (Something tells me that's a story that was never written.)

It's really a New Krypton tie-in, with numerous references to that gigantic event, which occupied at least 4 monthly titles for 1.5 years - has there been any other equally long event?

There are much more complete synopses for #3, and #4, on the Stephanie wiki.

Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle were the regular team on Supergirl at the time, and Gates was also one of the 3 primary architects of the New Krypton event.

Even though Igle is the regular artist on Supergirl, I like the way he draws Batgirl better here.

My only gripe is I find the Noto covers drab. It's the coloring I think.
    Awesome info, thanks, ohfellow! And thanks for the shoutout for the wiki!

I have the trade myself, and I enjoy it, but as you say, it's not really "deep". In terms of "good" Steph cameos, I'd definitely put The Web #3 over these two, even though these two actually have a bit more ongoing power because of the connection to Robin and Supergirl. I think "Fatgirl" also comes back in the main run? Correct me if someone remembers.

The sad thing is that World's Finest is not available digitally, as far as I can tell. Not on Comixology or DCUniverse (which mirror each other, I'm pretty sure, in terms of what library is available). I do like the idea that each issue focuses on a different team up of a Superman and Batman family character, though obviously my favorite is Steph. Also, Robin is in the 4th issue, too. As we shall get to!

The Super-Titles were like that in general, with the Triangle era. I am pretty sure that this was after the Triangle era, but that whole office still had the interconnected mindset, which I think is cool. A status quo shift that major, though - I can't think of ones that are more than about a year long (NML, Superheavy).

Igle is a fun artist - he and Gates were both kinda blacklisted/treated poorly at DC after they finished their Supergirl run up (I want to say it was Didio, but I don't know if it was ever publicly attributed to him - it could be Berganaza, too.) I think he draws Batgirl very similarly to Tim Levins in Batgirl #4 - kind of "house style" without a ton of individual flair, a fairly voluptuous figure for Steph (and most of the characters), unusual considering how Nguyen, Garbett, and Perez drew her.

I actually really like the Noto covers, because I like how he did two covers for each one, each focusing on the Bat or Super character. But I'm a huge Noto fan - not everything he does (I think the cover for #4 wasn't the best, though Steph herself looked fine, and they did get less and less interesting until Artgerm took over with a huge explosion of polish), but his style in general. The covers were playing with only a few colors, leading to a bit less of a dynamic interest for some of them, but I love the variety you get with them - the playing of two sides of different concepts, and I think the way he did the last two covers (seen next week) was hilarious.

On the whole, the World's Finest miniseries felt like some talented people playing with all the Batman and Superman action figures and mashing them together. Fun, but not necessarily super meaningful. Certainly worth checking out, though!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Awesome info, thanks, ohfellow! And thanks for the shoutout for the wiki!

I have the trade myself, and I enjoy it, but as you say, it's not really "deep". In terms of "good" Steph cameos, I'd definitely put The Web #3 over these two, even though these two actually have a bit more ongoing power because of the connection to Robin and Supergirl. I think "Fatgirl" also comes back in the main run? Correct me if someone remembers.
    We'll have to be on the watch for Damian insults.

Did Damian and Steph have this kind of sibling-rivalry relationship before, when Steph was Spoiler?

The sad thing is that World's Finest is not available digitally, as far as I can tell. Not on Comixology or DCUniverse (which mirror each other, I'm pretty sure, in terms of what library is available). I do like the idea that each issue focuses on a different team up of a Superman and Batman family character, though obviously my favorite is Steph. Also, Robin is in the 4th issue, too. As we shall get to!

The Super-Titles were like that in general, with the Triangle era. I am pretty sure that this was after the Triangle era, but that whole office still had the interconnected mindset, which I think is cool. A status quo shift that major, though - I can't think of ones that are more than about a year long (NML, Superheavy).
    This issue came out between Supergirl #48 and #49 - the last triangle on her covers ended with #52, and the other monthlies tied up then too. Then there were a few weeks with the final mini-series that had no shield. So this takes place a couple of months before that series was ending. We do see that New Krypton still exists (and its residents have painfully sensitive hearing!) and Superman still lives on it.

Igle is a fun artist - he and Gates were both kinda blacklisted/treated poorly at DC after they finished their Supergirl run up (I want to say it was Didio, but I don't know if it was ever publicly attributed to him - it could be Berganaza, too.) I think he draws Batgirl very similarly to Tim Levins in Batgirl #4 - kind of "house style" without a ton of individual flair, a fairly voluptuous figure for Steph (and most of the characters), unusual considering how Nguyen, Garbett, and Perez drew her.
    Sounds like there is some gossip about Gates and Igle vs. DC.

I actually really like the Noto covers, because I like how he did two covers for each one, each focusing on the Bat or Super character. But I'm a huge Noto fan - not everything he does (I think the cover for #4 wasn't the best, though Steph herself looked fine, and they did get less and less interesting until Artgerm took over with a huge explosion of polish), but his style in general. The covers were playing with only a few colors, leading to a bit less of a dynamic interest for some of them, but I love the variety you get with them - the playing of two sides of different concepts, and I think the way he did the last two covers (seen next week) was hilarious.
    Regarding the Artgerm covers, I don't know what other comic work he had done previously or was doing around that time, but his Batgirl covers only show a bit of the style he has come to be known for. Steph doesn't look 12 years old, as most of his women currently do.

On the whole, the World's Finest miniseries felt like some talented people playing with all the Batman and Superman action figures and mashing them together. Fun, but not necessarily super meaningful. Certainly worth checking out, though!

Did Damian and Steph have this kind of sibling-rivalry relationship before, when Steph was Spoiler?

Regarding the Artgerm covers, I don't know what other comic work he had done previously or was doing around that time, but his Batgirl covers only show a bit of the style he has come to be known for. Steph doesn't look 12 years old, as most of his women currently do.
    As far as I know, Steph never met Damian until she was Batgirl.

We'll have to chat about Artgerm's covers when we get to issue #9!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Welcome to the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, Week 6! (Schedule starts here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4916669) Today, we're on Batgirl #6, "Batgirl Rising: Core Requirements part 2 of 3", written by Bryan Q. Miller, pencilled by Lee Garbett, inked by Trevor Scott, colored by Guy Major, cover by Phil Noto.

Steph’s “I’ve been shot” flashbacks - surprisingly effective, and transition beautifully into the ambulance. The “Fay Wray” and Clocktower medical systems are really nice bits of worldbuilding - make things feel like Babs and Steph actually do a lot of work behind the scenes, and it’s not all just improvisation.

The connection between Franscico’s kidnapping and the competition to murder Batman isn’t super clear in my memory - probably why this arc doesn’t stick in my head, even though details of it very much do. The buildup to the “bet on who will kill Batman” is well done, and the dynamic between Steph and Damian, as well as between Oracle and Batman, is really nicely handled. BQM’s voice for everyone is really standing out, even in the polished TV dialogue style he does so well.

Noto cover - not nearly as successful as #5 - Steph’s purples are kind of muddied/fade into the background, and the conflict between Robin and Batgirl isn’t particularly dynamically posed.

Discussion Questions: Does the inclusion of so many animated series characters feel fun or forced to you? How does the connection between Franscisco and the plot to kill Batman work in your reading?

Bonus comic: World’s Finest #4 - conclusion - written by Sterling Gates, art and cover by Phil Noto. The Steph content is a bit light, but memorable. Steph’s first brush with Robin, and her friendship with Supergirl warming (literally as Kara unfreezes Steph!) Phil Noto’s collection cover features Steph prominantly!

Extraordinary Member

"We're playing bad-cop, worse cop."

"I get to be the worse cop!"

"Attaboy."

The beginning of a beautiful frenemyship.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    "We're playing bad-cop, worse cop."

"I get to be the worse cop!"

"Attaboy."

The beginning of a beautiful frenemyship.
    It's so well done! Steph gives as good as she gets, but regrets her cruelty to a 10 year old, no matter how violent and mean.

Incredible Member

Batgirl #6 re-read:

The connection between Franscico’s kidnapping and the competition to murder Batman isn’t super clear in my memory - probably why this arc doesn’t stick in my head, even though details of it very much do.
    Yeah, I only vaguely remember the connection and I have to say it is overly convoluted. There are a million ways to set up a competition to attract Batman besides luring him thanks to -- radioactive footprints? I already have forgotten what they did. They rely on Batman (Oracle, actually - like they know she'll be on the case) noticing the radiation and searching for it - that's just a ridiculous plan. Roulette is counting on a lot of things to click into place.

Why would Batman even be so fascinated by one particular kidnapping? Maybe he's busy with something else. Are Roxy and Riot just flying around waiting for Batman? What makes them think he'll be in the air? How do they know they won't run out of fuel while waiting for him? Why are they so sure he'll detect the radiation and be able to configure his sensors?

If they want to send a gang after Batman, then just stage a really big crime somewhere and wait for him to show up, or watch for the Bat signal and then converge on police HQ, or ... something.

Now, maybe I misread something, but didn't Riot come off Roxy's rocket? If so, why are they cooperating? I thought this was meant to be a competition.

Also not convinced crashing an ambulance is the best possible way to rescue anyone from inside it. How many injuries does Oracle actually cause?

The standout moments for me: Steph's narration of her eavesdropping ("Me too, chum"); her squabbling with Damian; their good cop/worse cop shtick; and my favorite moment, when Damian switches on the light and Steph quickly wraps herself up in her cape. (Though it would be even funnier if she was already sitting like that in the dark.)

Is this the only place where we see that Cass and Steph had another interaction following the rooftop scene?

Discussion Questions: Does the inclusion of so many animated series characters feel fun or forced to you?
    Neither, because I don't know who are from the animated series. I would guess Riot, Roxy and Roulette?

It is interesting that Riot just appeared in World's Finest #2, which has no Batgirl so we didn't cover it here.

How does the connection between Franscisco and the plot to kill Batman work in your reading?
    I guess it's pretty clear my answer is not at all. I was thinking of reading ahead to see if it ever adds up, but I'm not that interested!

Maybe BQM's story with Francisco and his father just wasn't heading anywhere sufficiently interesting, so they changed gears and made an awkward transition into the Roulette plot.

Best to ignore the plot machinations and look forward to the upcoming action.

Batgirl #6 re-read:

Yeah, I only vaguely remember the connection and I have to say it is overly convoluted. There are a million ways to set up a competition to attract Batman besides luring him thanks to -- radioactive footprints? I already have forgotten what they did. They rely on Batman (Oracle, actually - like they know she'll be on the case) noticing the radiation and searching for it - that's just a ridiculous plan. Roulette is counting on a lot of things to click into place.

Why would Batman even be so fascinated by one particular kidnapping? Maybe he's busy with something else. Are Roxy and Riot just flying around waiting for Batman? What makes them think he'll be in the air? How do they know they won't run out of fuel while waiting for him? Why are they so sure he'll detect the radiation and be able to configure his sensors?

If they want to send a gang after Batman, then just stage a really big crime somewhere and wait for him to show up, or watch for the Bat signal and then converge on police HQ, or ... something.

Now, maybe I misread something, but didn't Riot come off Roxy's rocket? If so, why are they cooperating? I thought this was meant to be a competition.

Also not convinced crashing an ambulance is the best possible way to rescue anyone from inside it. How many injuries does Oracle actually cause?

The standout moments for me: Steph's narration of her eavesdropping ("Me too, chum"); her squabbling with Damian; their good cop/worse cop shtick; and my favorite moment, when Damian switches on the light and Steph quickly wraps herself up in her cape. (Though it would be even funnier if she was already sitting like that in the dark.)

Is this the only place where we see that Cass and Steph had another interaction following the rooftop scene?

Neither, because I don't know who are from the animated series. I would guess Riot, Roxy and Roulette?

It is interesting that Riot just appeared in World's Finest #2, which has no Batgirl so we didn't cover it here.

I guess it's pretty clear my answer is not at all. I was thinking of reading ahead to see if it ever adds up, but I'm not that interested!

Maybe BQM's story with Francisco and his father just wasn't heading anywhere sufficiently interesting, so they changed gears and made an awkward transition into the Roulette plot.

Best to ignore the plot machinations and look forward to the upcoming action.
    Yeah. I think it does make SENSE when you reread and fit all the pieces together, but it's just not super intuitive. It's kind of like the A plot is moved to the B plot slot of importance, since I think the main point of this arc is "Earning Batman and Robin's respect", and the crime is mostly there just to faciliate that. And I think the arc of earning Batman and Robin's respect DOES stick in the head, but not as well as maybe it could have. Ah, well. I still think there's some really standout character things here.

I think Batman was fascinated by the kidnapping because it was more than just the snatch - it was Diesel, who was clearly linked, so this organization was able and willing to create very dangerous supervillains in his city. I'd say Roxy was waiting till Batman started heading towards the kill-zone, and then launched.

Riot does come off of Roxy's rocket, but I think all of the three main players are told they get no money if they don't cooperate to get Batman into the trap - which makes sense, as that is the place wired for visuals so that the betting that happen, which is what pays them.

Crashing the ambulance was a strange move, I agree. Especially with Steph having a concussion. A quick scene of Steph getting emergency medical treatment from the Batcave might have been nice. But I think it still works, and the Fay Wray stuff is still gold.

So many amazing Steph and other character moments. Even with the plot being a bit B-level, the character stuff is truly A-level, and the art supports it beautifully.

I do wonder if that flashback to Cass at the transit station means that there was another goodbye scene. Makes sense, but would have loved to see it.

I think it's just Roulette and Roxy who are from the animated series. I don't mind that they are from that series, since they are mostly there to be fun to fight. I'd totally forgotten about Riot in World's Finest...because as you said, it has no Batgirl, so I don't reread it a lot.

I think the point of the Francisco plot is the final issue - and I think that works structurally, but there's a lot of balls in the air here, and this main plot one doesn't get to be a very interesting ball until next issue.

Extraordinary Member

This was something I threw out in an old Steph thread. A Young Justice fic where Steph was the first Robin. Finally update it a little.

Mr. Freeze slid down the ice ramp he had created, past a family he had frozen in the middle of their Independence Day barbecue.

He took aim at the civilians fleeing the park.

There was a whizzing sound as a sharp object came out of nowhere and knocked his ice-canon away.

Freeze looked at the object now embedded in the ground, a black boomerang with bat-scallops.

"Batman," Freeze said. "I was wondering when you'd show up."

"Wrong-a-roo," a female voice said.

Freeze looked around for the source of the voice. A shadow appeared over him, causing him to look up as a pair of boots collided with his helmet, knocking him over.

As he fell to the ground, Freeze saw a figure land in front of him. She was a teenager with long blonde hair. Her costume was red and green with a yellow and black cape, and she wore a dark green domino mask. The 'R' symbol on her chest was unmistakable.

"Ah, the girl wonder," Freeze said dismissively.

"Freeze," Robin responded, taking two more batarangs out of her utility belt. These batarangs were of a lighter color than the dark one which had been thrown before. She threw them both at Mr. Freeze.

The left batarang hit the ice canon again. But instead of knocking the weapon away, the batarang exploded in a a spray of green slime which completely covered the large gun.

The other batarang struck Freeze himself, also enveloping him in the slime.

"Gooperangs," Robin said with a smirk, "gotta love em."

"You'll forgive me if I'm underwhelmed," Freeze said. The mechanical fingers of his large exosuit dug into the earth as he slowly pushed himself up.

"Yeah, well, I'm only here to slow you down, freeze-brain," Robin retorted.

Freeze struggled to rise despite the goop. As Robin's words sunk in he looked up again in horror. Another shadow appeared over him, far larger and more menacing.

He had no chance to react as a black fist collided with his face.

Extraordinary Member

Three heroes stood in front of the Hall of Justice, the official headquarters of the Justice League of America in Washington DC.

With them stood their sidekicks, Robin, Aqualad, and Speedy.

Batman smiled, a rare sight, as he said "today's the day" in an equally rare pleasant tone.

Robin looked up at her mentor and smiled back. After everything that had happened between them since she first put on a mask and a cape, for him to bring her here was the most powerful sign of trust he could have given her.

The six spandex-clad heroes felt a burst of wind from behind them. They turned to see the red and yellow figures of Flash and Kid Flash, the faster man and teenager on Earth.

"Aw man," Kid Flash complained. "I knew we'd be the last ones here."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A crowd of onlookers cheered and took pictures on their cell phones as the heroes and sidekicks walked towards the Hall of Justice.

Robin spared a nervous glance at Batman. When she had first met the Dark Knight, he refused to allow any photographs of himself to be taken, and he refused to operate in the day. Even his membership in the Justice League had been unofficial until recently.

But now he simply stared ahead as if oblivious to all the people and camera flashes around.

Green Arrow leaned forward to speak with his protege, Speedy. "Ready to see the inner sanctum?"

"Born that way," Speedy replied, his tone betraying his impatience.

Aqualad looked around at his companions. "I am glad we are all here."

"Have all four sidekicks ever been in the same place at the same time?" Kid Flash asked.

"Don't call us sidekicks," Speedy said angrily. "Not after today."

"Sorry," Kid Flash said. "First time at the hall - I'm a little overwhelmed."

The entered the building and stopped. Before them stood seven enormous gold statues. Images of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Flash, and Aquaman, the seven founding members of the Justice League, towered over them.

"Overwhelming is right," Robin said as she stared at the larger than life figures. But even as she stared in awe, a part of her brain noticed that the statue of her mentor was slightly shinier and less worn than the other six, a sign of its relatively late addition following Batman's public acknowledgement of his membership in the organization of the world's greatest heroes.

A door marked 'authorized personnel only opened, revealing Martian Manhunter and Red Tornado.

Martian Manhunter addressed the sidekicks. "Robin, Speedy, Aqualad, Kid Flash. Welcome."

Extraordinary Member

Here's the new material.

Robin was only half paying attention as Martian Manhunter led them on a tour of the Hall of Justice. She looked up at Batman to see that she had his attention.

“So apparently all of us fought a different ice-powered dufus on the way here. That’s way weird,” she whispered.

Batman nodded, and she knew that he was going over the same problem in his head.

Manhunter led them into the library, which was “fully stocked.”

Flash smiled at the sidekicks and said: “make yourselves at home.”

Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad quickly sat down in three of the comfort seats which were placed around the library, but Speedy remained standing.

The adult heroes gathered at the end of the room. “A quick debrief to discuss the coincidence of four ice-villains attacking on the same day,” Batman said. “We shouldn’t be long.”

He turned as a spherical scanning device lowered from the ceiling. Each league member was scanned individually.

Robin frowned at the system. There were similar scanners at the entrances to the batcave, but they were silent, faster, and less intrusive.

The wall in front of the leaguers opened.

“That’s it?” Speedy demanded angrily. “You promised us a real look inside, not a glorified backstage pass.”

“It’s a first step,” Aquaman responded. “You’ve been granted access few others get.”

“Oh really?” Speedy gestured at the large window above them, where a crowd of fans was gazing inside. “Who cares which side of the glass we’re on?”

Green Arrow stepped forward to address his protege. “Roy, you just need to be patient.”

“What I need is respect,” Speedy insisted. He turned to his fellow teenagers.

“They’re treating us like kids!” he complained. “Worse, like sidekicks. We deserve better than this.”

The other three looked at each other and shrugged.

“You’re kidding,” Speedy said. “You’re playing their game? Why? Today was supposed to be the day, step one in becoming full-fledged members of the League.”

“Step one,” Robin answered. “There’s no guarantee that all of us, or any of us, for that matter, will actually join the League.”

“And besides,” Kid Flash added. “Step one was just a tour of the HQ.”

“Except the hall isn’t the League’s real HQ!” Speedy declared. Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad leaned forward, their mouths open in surprise.

“I bet they never even told you. It’s just a false front for tourists, and a pit stop for catching zeta-beam teleporter tubes to the real thing, an orbiting satellite called the watchtower!”

Green Arrow grimaced and turned to Batman, who was glaring at him with his arms folded across his chest.

“I know,” Green Arrow said in a guilty tone. He forced a smile. “But I thought that maybe we could make an exception?”

“Or not,” he said as Batman continued to glare at him.

“You are not helping your cause here, son,” Aquaman told Speedy. “Stand down, or … “

“Or what?” Speedy demanded. “You’ll send me to my room? I’m not your son.”

He glared at Green Arrow. “I’m not even his. I thought I was his partner, but not anymore.”

He took off his hat and threw it at Green Arrow’s feet before turning around and storming out the door.

The three remaining sidekicks rose and stared in shock as Speedy walked out.

For a moment, Robin wished she had telepathic powers so that she could tell him he had gotten off easy having her instead of Roy Harper for a sidekick.

“Guess they’re right about you three,” Speedy said when he reached the door. “You’re not ready.” And with that, he was gone.

Extraordinary Member

He had hardly gone when a siren began to blare and a gigantic monitor turned on, revealing the figure of Superman.

“Whoa,” Robin blurted out involuntarily at the sight of the Man of Steel.

“Superman to Justice League. There’s been an explosion at Project Cadmus. It’s on fire.”

“I’ve had my suspicions about Project Cadmus. This may present the perfect opportunity to –“

The siren blared again, and one of the League’s magical members also appeared on the screen.

“Zatara to Justice League. “The sorcerer Wotan is using the Amulet of Attan to blot out the Sun. Requesting full League response.”

“Superman?” Batman asked.

“It’s a small fire,” Superman responds. “Local authorities have it under control.”

“Then Cadmus can wait.” The Dark Knight pressed a switch on the console. “All Leaguers, rendezvous at Zatara’s coordinates. Batman out.”

He turned to the three sidekicks. “Stay put.”

“What, why?” Kid Flash asked.

“This is a League mission,” Aquaman began.

“And you’re not trained,” Flash added.

“Since when?” Kid Flash pressed.

“I meant you’re not trained to work as a part of this team,” Flash clarified.

“There will be other missions, when you’re ready,” Aquaman assured them.

“But for now, stay put,” Batman said, giving them one of his trademark glares.

“When we’re ready?” Kid Flash asks after they left. “How are we ever supposed to be ready when they treat us like, like sidkicks?”

Aqualad looked down with a sad expression. “My mentor, my King, I thought he trusted me.”

“Trust?” Kid Flash asked sarcastically. “They don’t even trust us with the basics! “They’ve got a secret HQ in space!”

“What else aren't they telling us?” Aqualad asked.

Robin shook her head and smiled.

“What are you laughing at?” Kid Flash demanded.

“This is your first time being treated like this, isn’t it?” she asked.

The boys looked at each other and then back at Robin. “You’re saying you go through this with Batman a lot,” Aqualad observes.

“All the time.”

“How do you deal with it?”

She shrugged. “Sometimes I obey. Sometimes I disobey. Depends on the situation.”

“Were you planning on obeying or disobeying this time?” Aqualad asked.

“Obeying. Blotting out the sun isn’t exactly something I was trained for,” she said, acknowledging Flash’s point.

“I see,” Aqualad responded. “And what is this Project Cadmus?”

Robin looked up at the monitor. “Cadmus is a genetics research lab that opened up here in DC soon after the Hall of Justice was built. There’s a file on it in the batcomputer, but so far Batman’s got nothing other than vague suspicions.”

She wasn’t supposed to know any of that. Batman didn’t know that she had figured out how to hack the batcomputer and see many of his hidden files.

“Here’s an idea,” Kid Flash chimed in. “What if we went over to Cadmus ourselves?”

“Solve their case before they do?” Aqualad smiled. “It would be poetic justice.”

“Oh, no,” Robin whispered. She knew where this was going, having done the same thing herself too many times.

“But they told us to stay here,” Aqualad reminded Kid Flash.

“For the sun-blotting mission. Plus, technically, Cadmus is ‘here,’ if by here you mean in DC,” Kid Flash responded.

“What do you think?” Aqualad asked Robin, who had begun to examine the book collection on the library’s walls.

“That depends on what you guys are actually planning to do,” Robin said.

Robin did not share the same disappointment as Speedy, Kid Flash, and Aqualad. Her experiences were different from theirs. Where their mentors had always been fully supportive of them, she had to struggle to gain the smallest modicum of approval from Batman. For a long time, Batman had been adamant that she give up crime-fighting for good. And when he finally agreed to take her on as a sidekick, there had been so many conditions and threats that he would fire her that she never felt like she was truly a partner. There were many times when she felt Batman was embarrassed by her.

So the fact that he took her to the Hall of Justice at all was a huge deal for her. Yes, he had not been entirely truthful about the purpose of the visit. And yes, she was a little annoyed that he never told her about the satellite. But Batman had seen fit to introduce her to other superheroes, not just other sidekicks, but founding members of the Justice League. That was already more than she could have hoped for either when she first put on a cape or when she first assumed the name Robin.

“We could investigate,” Kid Flash suggested. “Find out what’s up at Cadmus, and then be back before anyone even knows we’re gone.”

“Cloak and dagger stuff is a bit more up my alley,” Robin admitted. “Here we go.”

She found a particular book and turned it over. A portion of the bookcase opened up, revealing a false wall with an attaché case.

“How’d you know that was there?” Kid Flash asked.

“Batman’s kind of OCD when it comes to being prepared,” Robin responded. “No way he wouldn’t have a hidden supply cache here.”

‘Always look for the Anton Chehkov book,’ she thought to herself as she began to restock her batarangs. ‘Chekov’s batarangs and gatling guns.’

“Aww, man. There’s no gooperangs in here,” she complained. Of course, Batman didn’t use that variant himself and he had no intention of having her operate out of the Hall yet.

With the utility belt on her waist full, she began to fill the empty one on her thigh with smaller tools such as tiny smoke pellets, darts and spikes, gas capsules, and anything else she thought might be useful.

“I take it this means you’re coming with us,” Aqualad observed.

Robin stood up and smiled, her preparations complete. “Well, someone’s gotta watch your butts.”

Aqualad’s grin widened considerably. “And just like that, we’re a team on a mission.”

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

So I was reading the old 90s Chuck Dixon run of Birds of Prey and got a few Steph cameos. It looks like at least for a little while (apparently around the time of Bruce Wayne, Fugitive) Dinah took Steph on as an apprentice of sorts. Later they stake out Steph’s house where Cluemaster & Riddler are hiding out. Dinah is keen to treat it as a normal case up until Steph mentions that Cluemaster threatened to hurt Steph if she tatted him out.

Wasting no time, Dinah walks up to the front door, Canary Cries and fist fights her way through the villains. Kicks them to the curb and tells them not to come back.

Super awesome moment, IMO.

Incredible Member

I think Batman was fascinated by the kidnapping because it was more than just the snatch - it was Diesel, who was clearly linked, so this organization was able and willing to create very dangerous supervillains in his city.
    I agree, the combination justifies his involvement. The radiation thing is a stretch - it's not a great clue, as clues go.

Riot does come off of Roxy's rocket, but I think all of the three main players are told they get no money if they don't cooperate to get Batman into the trap - which makes sense, as that is the place wired for visuals so that the betting that happen, which is what pays them.
    A reasonable extrapolation. I don't get that directly from the text but it's fine.

I do wonder if that flashback to Cass at the transit station means that there was another goodbye scene. Makes sense, but would have loved to see it.
    I have a recollection that it is referenced somewhere later in the series, but that could be a false memory. I haven't read ahead in this re-read. Maybe you already know that's not the case.

I think the point of the Francisco plot is the final issue - and I think that works structurally, but there's a lot of balls in the air here, and this main plot one doesn't get to be a very interesting ball until next issue.
    Several things bothered me:

So far, as far as we know from Steph's narration, he hasn't remarked on her courage and amazing athletics when she tried to protect him.

She's shot in the head but he only "finally" texts to check in on her. She calls this nice? And, just a text?

Steph seems satisfied for the "small" amount of attention from him - but maybe she's being sarcastic. Or, maybe this is just insecurity about men, about her own self-worth, coming through. She's still interested in him.

I don't think he deserves a "pass" - he was in on this. Steph probably knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by randomideaguy View Post
    So I was reading the old 90s Chuck Dixon run of Birds of Prey and got a few Steph cameos. It looks like at least for a little while (apparently around the time of Bruce Wayne, Fugitive) Dinah took Steph on as an apprentice of sorts. Later they stake out Steph’s house where Cluemaster & Riddler are hiding out. Dinah is keen to treat it as a normal case up until Steph mentions that Cluemaster threatened to hurt Steph if she tatted him out.

Wasting no time, Dinah walks up to the front door, Canary Cries and fist fights her way through the villains. Kicks them to the curb and tells them not to come back.

Super awesome moment, IMO.
    Steph's involvement in the Birds of Prey while Dixon was writing them was a really nice bit. It also ties into the Robin 80-Page Giant, which is sadly really hard to find online, though I've found used copies several times at a good price (I snagged mine for a buck or two, well worth it). I think, but am not sure, that this was part of his attempt to setup Steph as Robin while Tim was Blue Beetle, though I have no proof of that.

I agree, the combination justifies his involvement. The radiation thing is a stretch - it's not a great clue, as clues go.

I have a recollection that it is referenced somewhere later in the series, but that could be a false memory. I haven't read ahead in this re-read. Maybe you already know that's not the case.

Several things bothered me:

So far, as far as we know from Steph's narration, he hasn't remarked on her courage and amazing athletics when she tried to protect him.

She's shot in the head but he only "finally" texts to check in on her. She calls this nice? And, just a text?

Steph seems satisfied for the "small" amount of attention from him - but maybe she's being sarcastic. Or, maybe this is just insecurity about men, about her own self-worth, coming through. She's still interested in him.

I don't think he deserves a "pass" - he was in on this. Steph probably knows that.
    Yeah, the radiation does seem a bit "insert plot point A into plot point B", but it is wrapped in some truly excellent Dick and Babs interaction, showing the difference between Bruce and Dick as Batman, so I don't have too much a problem with it.

I'm only reading about one issue in the future, so I can prep my posts for Tuesday midnights, so I don't remember for sure, but I don't recall Cass coming back or being referenced, sadly.

In terms of Franscisco, I think the "point" of him was really just to get Batman, Robin, and Batgirl in the same area so they can work things out. He was okay in the first arc, but I didn't really care about him here, and I don't think he's that important in the future, so it doesn't bother me too much. But I think the things you bring up are part of why, despite truly stellar character interactions, I don't think that "Core Requirements" is really remembered as a whole, though panels of it are certainly posted all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Here's the new material.
    I like the idea, and your Steph voice is quite fun, but I'd recommend posting these on FF.N or AO3 and posting the link, rather than posting the fic as text.