Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 641
  1. #496
    Extraordinary Member adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    6,945

    Default

    Is like see one STEPH VERSION in batman animated series:

    Stephanie Brown Batgirl animated series fanon.jpg

    Source:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co..._malejandrita/

  2. #497
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Very nice. Like Batgirl in the Batman Adventures, which DC is reprinting right now as DC Classics.

    I have noticed that later in Steph's Batgirl series, artists started drawing "pirate boots" with a big cuff, more like the Spoiler boots I guess. But Lee Garbett's design was sleeker - with some trim or edging, but the boots are almost flush with the costume.

    These are somewhere in between. Thicker edging than Garbett's design, but not quite pirate cuffs.

    I like the sleeker look - it fits the high-tech nature of the costume better than pirate boots! And, I think of pirate boots as a 1980s/1990s design. That kind of boot looks really goofy. Works for a homemade costume like Spoiler had, but not so much for this Barbara-built suit.

    Personal preference.

    Maybe it's like full mask vs. ninja mask!

    I was probably going to comment on this later when the bigger boots start to show up in the series.

  3. #498
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    22,205

    Default

    Pirate boots is more of a 1940s thing, really - you mean like Captain America wears, right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  4. #499
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Batgirl #8 re-read:

    Well I held back with comments because I wasn't ready to re-read 5 issues (including Red Robin 9-12) - and still didn't, though I probably will eventually. I did flip through them. Anyway, it's almost time for #9 so I will write something now, mostly about the art.

    Batgirl #8 is pretty scratchy looking work, the party scene the most so. But one interesting panel there is the flashback to Spoiler and Robin.

    All of the artists have trouble drawing faces, or drawing faces I like to see - with the result that all of the scenes in costume simply look better (including that Spoiler/Robin panel). Despite the sketchiness of the pages by Guichet and Stanisci, they did a good job on the large first panel on the final page, which is the panel that the editors chose to borrow from for the back of the "cover page" in the TPB.

    The training montage at the start had some nice radar coloring by Major.

    Marcos To does a much better job in the Red Robin installments, with the excellent Ray McCarthy on inks.

    It's nice to see Supergirl and Steph have at least some minimal interaction. Their friendship during these 2 years is implied more than actually shown, so there is at least this brief bridge between World's Finest and Batgirl #14. (There is also some indirect interaction in Wonder Woman #600, where they are small parts of a huge contingent. While the Wiki mentions that Steph has just one line of dialog in that WW story, it is interesting that Gail Simone chose it to be about Supergirl. Simone, or editorial, was paying attention to the existence of a friendship between these two heroes.)

    I didn't care for Barbara talking down to Steph like a child who has forgotten to say "thank you," but Steph didn't take it badly so I guess it was just meant in good fun.

  5. #500
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Pirate boots is more of a 1940s thing, really - you mean like Captain America wears, right?
    Yes, he does .

    I've been reading some of the Dollar Comics lately and noticing how common the pirate boots were, all over the place.

    I guess some things never go out of style.

  6. #501
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Very nice. Like Batgirl in the Batman Adventures, which DC is reprinting right now as DC Classics.

    I have noticed that later in Steph's Batgirl series, artists started drawing "pirate boots" with a big cuff, more like the Spoiler boots I guess. But Lee Garbett's design was sleeker - with some trim or edging, but the boots are almost flush with the costume.

    These are somewhere in between. Thicker edging than Garbett's design, but not quite pirate cuffs.

    I like the sleeker look - it fits the high-tech nature of the costume better than pirate boots! And, I think of pirate boots as a 1980s/1990s design. That kind of boot looks really goofy. Works for a homemade costume like Spoiler had, but not so much for this Barbara-built suit.

    Personal preference.

    Maybe it's like full mask vs. ninja mask!

    I was probably going to comment on this later when the bigger boots start to show up in the series.
    Please do comment later when you see them again! I don't remember them - I looked through some of the later issues quickly after reading this, and I see some sort of puffy boot-top, but not a turn-down pirate-style boot.

    Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Batgirl #8 re-read:

    Well I held back with comments because I wasn't ready to re-read 5 issues (including Red Robin 9-12) - and still didn't, though I probably will eventually. I did flip through them. Anyway, it's almost time for #9 so I will write something now, mostly about the art.

    Batgirl #8 is pretty scratchy looking work, the party scene the most so. But one interesting panel there is the flashback to Spoiler and Robin.

    All of the artists have trouble drawing faces, or drawing faces I like to see - with the result that all of the scenes in costume simply look better (including that Spoiler/Robin panel). Despite the sketchiness of the pages by Guichet and Stanisci, they did a good job on the large first panel on the final page, which is the panel that the editors chose to borrow from for the back of the "cover page" in the TPB.

    The training montage at the start had some nice radar coloring by Major.

    Marcos To does a much better job in the Red Robin installments, with the excellent Ray McCarthy on inks.

    It's nice to see Supergirl and Steph have at least some minimal interaction. Their friendship during these 2 years is implied more than actually shown, so there is at least this brief bridge between World's Finest and Batgirl #14. (There is also some indirect interaction in Wonder Woman #600, where they are small parts of a huge contingent. While the Wiki mentions that Steph has just one line of dialog in that WW story, it is interesting that Gail Simone chose it to be about Supergirl. Simone, or editorial, was paying attention to the existence of a friendship between these two heroes.)

    I didn't care for Barbara talking down to Steph like a child who has forgotten to say "thank you," but Steph didn't take it badly so I guess it was just meant in good fun.
    Major's colors, as usual, are really good. I feel like he either retired or started working for indies or something, because I haven't seen him a lot in the last five years, when he was so busy in the early 2010s.

    It would be nice to have more Supergirl and Steph interactions, though I'm always iffy on Bat characters and Super characters existing in the same universe for philosophical reasons.

    I think Babs talking down to Steph is partly because Babs is generally smarter than everyone, so she sometimes just does that, and partly because Babs and Steph are still getting used to each other. The Flood is kind of about the deepening of that relationship, even though sadly editorial reasons kept that from being really followed up on (on which more later).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  7. #502
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Please do comment later when you see them again! I don't remember them - I looked through some of the later issues quickly after reading this, and I see some sort of puffy boot-top, but not a turn-down pirate-style boot.
    Maybe I'll mention it now while I'm thinking about it.

    I guess instead of the tightly drawn trim, a kind of "flap" is often drawn, sometimes more visible than other times depending on the artist. (What you call the "puffy boot-top.") Usually it's nearly an even-thickness "cylinder" shape drawn at the top of the boots, and might sometimes taper inward - not "floppy" or turned down like most pirate boots.

    Pere Perez consistently drew the boots that way, but I'd say he did give it the full "pirate treatment," or nearly full, in a few places that I spotted:

    Bruce Wayne: The Road Home Batgirl
    Final page, left boot. It doesn't taper inward and there is a gap between that thicker part and the rest of the boot, and there are some creases in it. (That page is included on the Wiki for that issue.)

    #23, "Batgirl: Here Endeth the Lesson"
    In the splash panel introducing Stargirl, Supergirl, Bombshell, and Miss Martian - again, the left boot.

    Another thing Perez does which possibly exaggerates the look is that he never draws fringes on any part of the boots.

    A web search for pirate boot images comes up with a variety of styles, some of which are very close to how Perez draws them.

    Not as exaggerated as the original Spoiler's boots, but perhaps (consciously or unconsciously) influenced by them.

    In the past I expounded upon utility belts and the size and shape of the bat symbol, now I'm on the boots. Perhaps it's time to suggest that Barbara made Steph some spare costume elements, to wear when the regular costume was at the dry cleaner.

  8. #503
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Maybe I'll mention it now while I'm thinking about it.

    I guess instead of the tightly drawn trim, a kind of "flap" is often drawn, sometimes more visible than other times depending on the artist. (What you call the "puffy boot-top.") Usually it's nearly an even-thickness "cylinder" shape drawn at the top of the boots, and might sometimes taper inward - not "floppy" or turned down like most pirate boots.

    Pere Perez consistently drew the boots that way, but I'd say he did give it the full "pirate treatment," or nearly full, in a few places that I spotted:

    Bruce Wayne: The Road Home Batgirl
    Final page, left boot. It doesn't taper inward and there is a gap between that thicker part and the rest of the boot, and there are some creases in it. (That page is included on the Wiki for that issue.)

    #23, "Batgirl: Here Endeth the Lesson"
    In the splash panel introducing Stargirl, Supergirl, Bombshell, and Miss Martian - again, the left boot.

    Another thing Perez does which possibly exaggerates the look is that he never draws fringes on any part of the boots.

    A web search for pirate boot images comes up with a variety of styles, some of which are very close to how Perez draws them.

    Not as exaggerated as the original Spoiler's boots, but perhaps (consciously or unconsciously) influenced by them.

    In the past I expounded upon utility belts and the size and shape of the bat symbol, now I'm on the boots. Perhaps it's time to suggest that Barbara made Steph some spare costume elements, to wear when the regular costume was at the dry cleaner.
    I think you're right on Perez - he's the one I notice it on, not Nguyen or Garbett. I personally think it's mostly a stylistic thing, similar to the goofs in Tec #980, where Steph's Batsymbol, belt, boots, and gloves morph in the three different images we get.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  9. #504
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think you're right on Perez - he's the one I notice it on, not Nguyen or Garbett. I personally think it's mostly a stylistic thing, similar to the goofs in Tec #980, where Steph's Batsymbol, belt, boots, and gloves morph in the three different images we get.
    Yes, not the others, including Bachs and Stewart, though Bachs has some element of it - not as extreme as Perez.

    I was sure I had edited to use the word "fins" not "fringes." Guess I didn't. Some call them spikes.

  10. #505
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Yes, not the others, including Bachs and Stewart, though Bachs has some element of it - not as extreme as Perez.

    I was sure I had edited to use the word "fins" not "fringes." Guess I didn't. Some call them spikes.
    Well, we're coming up on the first Perez illustrations for the series, so I'm sure we'll keep an eye out!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  11. #506
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,549

    Default

    Welcome to the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, Week 9! (Schedule starts here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4916669) Today, we're on Batgirl #9, "The Flood part one of four", written by Bryan Q. Miller, pencilled by Lee Garbett, inked by Jonathan Glapion and Richard Friend, colored by Guy Major, cover by Stanley “Artgerm” Lau.



    Notes: I like the idea of this arc, The Flood, starting with Steph facing a bigger threat, and failing at first. The art by Garbett is really nicely dark, and the reveal of Calculator as the villain shows that it’s going to be an Oracle-heavy arc as well. Really nice stuff, though largely setup.

    Cover: The first of Artgerm’s covers! And a really lovely one, used for the cover of the second original trade paperback, and the first of the reprints from a couple of years ago! I adore her pose, how determined she looks, the textures that Lau is famous for - a painterly/CGI rendering type of blend, and the buildings in the background are just stunning with the lighting!

    Discussion Questions: What do you think of the change in tone from the last few issues? Steph’s comic was always great at the light moments, but I think it does some really good dark things as well. What does the cover say to you about Steph, the arc, and the series?

    No bonus comic this week
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  12. #507
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    There are 2 scenes that always stood out to me in Batgirl 9. The first is of course the opening train rescue, which is important long-term because it's the second appearance of Nell and the first of Jonny C./Grey Ghost. For this arc it establishes that whatever her mental hangups, she's ready for a bigger threat like Calculator. The other scene is when she punches the wall and breaks it after the big guy falls to his death. I'm pretty sure that's the first time she lost someone since becoming Batgirl, and given her history, 'getting someone killed' really effects her even if it wasn't her fault and there was nothing she could have done.

  13. #508
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There are 2 scenes that always stood out to me in Batgirl 9. The first is of course the opening train rescue, which is important long-term because it's the second appearance of Nell and the first of Jonny C./Grey Ghost. For this arc it establishes that whatever her mental hangups, she's ready for a bigger threat like Calculator. The other scene is when she punches the wall and breaks it after the big guy falls to his death. I'm pretty sure that's the first time she lost someone since becoming Batgirl, and given her history, 'getting someone killed' really effects her even if it wasn't her fault and there was nothing she could have done.
    That's a really great observation about the structuring of this story. There's a real sense that Steph was starting to find her groove, and of course, when you do that (and it's not the end of the story), you have to throw a bigger challenge at the hero! I do think that Steph's major failure is well calculated, so it's not like she did something necessarily wrong, or could have necessarily done something more, but it does jar her out of any complacency that she might have had after easily beating Gray Ghost.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  14. #509
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Batgirl #9:

    Sorry I'm late again. There's too much going on in the real world these days to concentrate.

    I don't see how Steph feels she did anything wrong. She actually disarms the guard who is just about to shoot Gage. I can see that she wishes she'd done more or maybe been faster before the guard jumped through the window, but there was no way to anticipate that he would do something completely crazy like that.

    Love the (crazily impossible) sequence of Steph being dragged by the train (through the air at first, then scraping along the tracks), then swinging down from the train roof. This is a scene that sticks with you! (Even though stuff like this, along with quipping, swinging through the air, and shooting gooperangs, always make me wonder if BQM really wanted to be writing one of Marvel's various Spider-Women characters.)

    I wonder if this is Artgerm's first cover for DC or other domestic comics. I think he's said, or someone said, that these covers got him on the radar. (Of course his work had to have caught DC's eye somehow.)

    One thing I like about his fantastic Batgirl covers is that he draws Steph as a young adult - more mature looking than most of the women he's been drawing in more recent years.

    Do we know who Steph reminds Gordon of? Perhaps the original Batgirl, which makes me ask an obvious question - what exactly do people in Gotham think happened to the original Batgirl, who disappeared when Barbara was shot? (Not to mention who reappeared when Barbara regained mobility.) And where does Gordon think Cass disappeared to? I guess these are pointless questions to ask.

    Maybe he's going to say she reminds him of Barbara, but if so -- why? They aren't exactly alike!

  15. #510
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Batgirl #9:

    Sorry I'm late again. There's too much going on in the real world these days to concentrate.

    I don't see how Steph feels she did anything wrong. She actually disarms the guard who is just about to shoot Gage. I can see that she wishes she'd done more or maybe been faster before the guard jumped through the window, but there was no way to anticipate that he would do something completely crazy like that.

    Love the (crazily impossible) sequence of Steph being dragged by the train (through the air at first, then scraping along the tracks), then swinging down from the train roof. This is a scene that sticks with you! (Even though stuff like this, along with quipping, swinging through the air, and shooting gooperangs, always make me wonder if BQM really wanted to be writing one of Marvel's various Spider-Women characters.)

    I wonder if this is Artgerm's first cover for DC or other domestic comics. I think he's said, or someone said, that these covers got him on the radar. (Of course his work had to have caught DC's eye somehow.)

    One thing I like about his fantastic Batgirl covers is that he draws Steph as a young adult - more mature looking than most of the women he's been drawing in more recent years.

    Do we know who Steph reminds Gordon of? Perhaps the original Batgirl, which makes me ask an obvious question - what exactly do people in Gotham think happened to the original Batgirl, who disappeared when Barbara was shot? (Not to mention who reappeared when Barbara regained mobility.) And where does Gordon think Cass disappeared to? I guess these are pointless questions to ask.

    Maybe he's going to say she reminds him of Barbara, but if so -- why? They aren't exactly alike!
    I think you're right about Steph's moral culpability - but Steph is still dealing with the guilt of all the people who died in the War Games. I don't personally blame her for most of that, since she didn't intend for the war to start - but I think it still weighs heavily on her.

    I think, like most teen heroes, there's a lot of Peter Parker in Steph's narrative and character DNA. I don't know if BQM had a desire to write Spider-Man or one of the Spider-Girls, but I think he certainly brought the best of that genre to Steph!

    Artgerm did covers for The Web (our Bonus Comic from week 3), which came out before this, but this was the series that he credits for putting him on the map, as you mention. He also did a lot of creator owned stuff (Pepper, I think his character's name is) on Deviantart.

    I think the question of "what did normal people think about the three Batgirls" is one best left to fanfic. DC certainly is never going to acknowledge that there was a serious part of Babs's life when she wasn't Batgirl.

    I think Steph is reminding Jim of Babs, but not because they're exactly alike, but because they share a lot of things while giving their own flavor to each. And Jim is prone to comparing female heroes to Babs - in Batman Chronicles #5, I believe, he compares Huntress to Batgirl.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •