Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

They should have made "Tec Comic" Calyface Matt Hagen so you can still have the villainous one

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    They should have made "Tec Comic" Calyface Matt Hagen so you can still have the villainous one
    Because of the excellent world building Tynion did for Basil, there is still plenty of room for good and evil Clayface.

I do hope that Tynion will devote some similar thought to Steph in The Joker War Zone!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    but I'
    The relatively recent Johnny Williams (Clayface VIII), seems like he would've been a decent candidate for the hero version. Allegedly dead, but I'm pretty sure at least half the Clayfaces have allegedly died and then come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    but I'
    The relatively recent Johnny Williams (Clayface VIII), seems like he would've been a decent candidate for the hero version. Allegedly dead, but I'm pretty sure at least half the Clayfaces have allegedly died and then come back.
    There's no substitute for name brand Basil Karlo, though. Retcon away!

Still a bummer that there was never any acknowledgement of Basil and Steph's encounter in Batgirl.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    but I'
    There's EIGHT Clayfaces?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's EIGHT Clayfaces?
    The Mud Pack is complicated and confusing

Not unlike all the Batgirls!

Extraordinary Member

...I was actually always annoyed that writers started forgetting other Clayfaces, which was one of the reasons I thought other Clayfaces were appearing after the Mud Pack.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    ...I was actually always annoyed that writers started forgetting other Clayfaces, which was one of the reasons I thought other Clayfaces were appearing after the Mud Pack.
    Well, I've only read the story that was part of Knightfall with the Mud Pack, and sadly, I didn't find any of them particularly compelling. I, of course, think that Knightfall would have benefitted from a much larger presence of Spoilers.

Fantastic Member

There's EIGHT Clayfaces?
    At least.

Basil Karlo and Matt Hagen are obviously the best known, but there's also Preston Payne, Sondra "Lady Clay" Fuller-Payne of Strike Force Kobra, Cassius "Clay" Payne, Dr Peter "Claything" Malley of STAR Labs, Todd Russell and Johnny Williams of the FDGC.

There's also several related characters: The Clayface of Japan, Jeffrey Bode's temporary Clayface Clones, Glory "Mudface" Griffin of the Victim Syndicate, and the Joker Venon-infected clone Clownface.

Welcome to the Batgirl: Stephanie Brown reread, Week 14! (Schedule starts here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4916669) Today, we're on Batgirl #14, "Terror in the 3rd Dimension!", written by Bryan Q. Miller, pencilled by Lee Garbett, inked by Trevor Scott, colored by Guy Major, cover by Artgerm.

Batgirl 014_00.jpg

Notes: The delightful, iconic Supergirl team up! I find it funny that Steph developed so many iconic friendships despite characters only being featured two or three times in her run - Robin, Supergirl, Klarion - all of them have only a few issues of team ups, but they are all beloved by the Steph fandom. I think part of that is because BQM simply wrote the relationships and the characters so well. Kara’s nature just stands out through her dialogue here, and you can’t help but mourn that Steph didn’t get to spend more time with the Maid of Might.

The plot is silly, of course, but it still works, and interestingly, ties into the next arc. One thing I really miss in the current continuity is the sense of small, whimsical adventures which are still deeply important to the fandom. The closest you come that I can think of is Kite Man, and even that got very tragic (though considering how this plot ties into the next arc, perhaps not quite as unexpected as you might think).

This is one of the few issues of this run I own as a single issue (I collected it first in trade and then the new digital releases - I haven’t decided if I want to get the whole run in singles).

#14 is Lee Garbett’s last issue of the series, sadly, but it’s one of his best - he definitely went out with a bang. The sheer number of appealing shots, the beautiful number and execution of the visual gags, especially the “Unless you want to see my bra” moment, but also the photo booth, the montage, and so, so many.

Cover: Our last Artgerm cover! Sad day, and there’s some odd lack of detail on Steph’s costume (her sides have no ribbing), but it’s a really funny one that really reflects what’s going on inside the book.

Discussion Questions: Here’s our third one-shot of the run - how do you think it compares to issues 4 and 13? What is your feeling about Garbett leaving the title?

Bonus Comic: None

Oh, now THIS is SUPER exciting!

Tim Seeley is writing, V Ken Marion is pencilling with Sandu Florea inking a story with all FIVE Robins! You can see Steph in the back right, wearing her Spoiler costume, with Jason and Tim wearing their up to date costumes, so maybe this story is in continuity!

It will be digital first as part of the Batman: Gotham Knights line on Comixology and DC's website, and maybe will show up as a Batman Giant in Walmart down the road!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Oh, now THIS is SUPER exciting!

Tim Seeley is writing, V Ken Marion is pencilling with Sandu Florea inking a story with all FIVE Robins! You can see Steph in the back right, wearing her Spoiler costume, with Jason and Tim wearing their up to date costumes, so maybe this story is in continuity!

It will be digital first as part of the Batman: Gotham Knights line on Comixology and DC's website, and maybe will show up as a Batman Giant in Walmart down the road!
    Preview pages are uploaded in the Red Hood thread

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm afraid not. The Giants have been cancelled.

By the way, since Batman Universe was where Jinny Hex debuted, I do believe Batman Giant is in continuity - unlike the Flash which has a black Iris. This would have to be after Joker War though, as Tim wasn't in that costume yet (Young Justice hadn't even started) when Dick was shot.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quick question.

Would you guys be for Stephanie wearing her pre-Flashpoint Batgirl costume, but still being called Spoiler?

I'm afraid not. The Giants have been cancelled.

By the way, since Batman Universe was where Jinny Hex debuted, I do believe Batman Giant is in continuity - unlike the Flash which has a black Iris. This would have to be after Joker War though, as Tim wasn't in that costume yet (Young Justice hadn't even started) when Dick was shot.
    When were they cancelled? I still see them around.

ETA: oh, I see: https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-comics...almart-giants/

A big shame. Ah, well. At least we get the digital firsts. I hope they figure out a way to publish these as trades.

As for continuity...I say shmontinuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Quick question.

Would you guys be for Stephanie wearing her pre-Flashpoint Batgirl costume, but still being called Spoiler?
    I dunno. Does she get to be in books every month?