Page 54 of 118 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Peter N Guyen Sketch Lorna

So this was relayed to me, about the variant cover for X-Factor getting canceled because of the pandemic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAoCLl2BiE8/

And to be honest, despite this art being one of few things I actually do like about Marvel's activities these days, I'm glad the variant cover was canceled. There's a slight implication of Lorna as Pestilence to the look, mainly in the black tears. Callbacks to Pestilence were generally a good idea until the pandemic happened. Now I think they would come off as tasteless regardless of when it was made.

But I also really, really wanna emphasize in big letters this time that it's purely my opinion. Maybe others would feel touching on Pestilence is even more relevant now. Maybe my mind on it will even change. It's just that right now, I don't think it would be a good idea. I know Marvel's decision here was governed by sales and return on investment, not appropriateness of content, but I think it was a good decision on appropriateness anyway.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

That sucks, I was looking forward to this variant. In my personal opinion, the comparison of Lorna to pestilence is kind of a stretch. I doubt people would have interpreted it that way.

I know a lot of people were excited for this one but I have to say im glad it wasn't the Schmidt variant
    I'm actually surprised this was the one to get the can...it was the most hyped

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I know a lot of people were excited for this one but I have to say im glad it wasn't the Schmidt variant
    I'm actually surprised this was the one to get the can...it was the most hyped
    The Schmidt variant is the best we have seen so far because it does look like Lorna... only the darker power manic version. It also has the north star theme and it connects back to Giant Sized. For now its still on the catalogue.

I will say it does produce somewhat of a confusion in fans namely because Lorna really didn't have a 'dark' arc in any of her green costumes since Genosha. Some Rachel fans assumed the Lorna in the Schmidt variant was possessed. My response was nah, that looks like Lorna free basing on power and PTSD which is somewhat iconic all by itself, not any of the multitude of possessed versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    That sucks, I was looking forward to this variant. In my personal opinion, the comparison of Lorna to pestilence is kind of a stretch. I doubt people would have interpreted it that way.
    I was looking forward to it as well. I will say all the Dark Marvel variants were killed as in all 53 them and others.

Lorna has a interesting issue that she developed no universally agreed to 'Dark Lorna' design. She in the past went through one or two dark Lorna designs a decade with the 90s as the one except. We might be seeing the early signs of Marvel moving toward using her green costume as an all purpose outfit for selling the character dark or standard much like Magneto's outfit. Though I suspect it will heavily be up to what happens in Lorna's next high profile antagonist storyline when that time comes.

We actually know very little in regards to Lorna and X-Factor. I would like to see her have her own agenda on the team perhaps along with Daken. That would keep her from falling into the team mom role which never suited her. We will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    aw that's such a sweet story. I've heard so many nice things about the gifted cast .. maybe one day I'll actually watch it lol
    Nguyen draws a mean Lorna
    If you are not ambitious just watch the first five eps and the last four of the first season and episode eight of the second season. If you are ambitious all of season one and maybe episodes one, six and eight through ten. My general view on the second season is that the writers and the directors let down the cast and crew as well as the fans down hard. The first season of The Gifted is probably the best written depiction of Lorna that has existed who happened to be the master of her narrative. Her relationship with Eclipse was greatly added to by the fact she had her own goal and narrative. Lorna lost her narrative in the second season and became Eclipse's unstable wayward baby momma.

If I was going to recommend a template for getting the fundamentals about why the character is interesting for the layman non-comic reader I would recommend the first season of The Gifted and WATXM episode The Badlands. Hell I would recommend them to the comic reader as Lorna in the comics has nuggets of gold scattered about a lot of coal for depictions.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-26-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    IA. I never got Pestilence from that and considering Marvel is about to do a story with Apocalypse' Horseman, I doubt Marvel did as well. I think this was cancelled due to cancelled orders and/or limiting printing capabilities

I do agree, separate from my sentiments about Marvel and X-Factor in general these days, that the Schmidt cover is the better option for Lorna if one or the other had to be cut. Nakayama's cover was cool and intriguing conceptually, but the Schmidt cover presents Lorna as a dangerous larger than life figure on her own merits.

On the link provided by jmc about cover cancellations, I think it's a testament to level of interest that the Lorna and Rachel one is what Newsarama decided to emphasize.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think this was cancelled due to cancelled orders and/or limiting printing capabilities
    Which is something I also said in my post about it. But on top of that, I think the variant cover had hints of Pestilence for her, and the cover's cancellation is good concerning appropriateness even though its cancellation was for more practical financial reasons.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqxn9zJmuc/?hl=en

Lorna and Jean by plutosized with the top part of the picture snipped due to CBR language restrictions though you can see it at the link.

It makes me wish Morrison and Austen had been better able to integrate Lorna and Jean into the X-Men soap as happened with Emma in that period. The real issue as I see it is Jean doesn't need another bestie and they didn't want to fully drop things into good friends with a different prospective category which they were playing with, but didn't quite commit to and future writers really took steps away from it.

Other writers before them and after other then those in the Silver Age didn’t care enough.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-27-2020 at 12:30 PM.

the purple x accents look dope

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Carlos Gomez also shared more WiP for whatever it is:

Thanks Luckystar.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Lorna looks amazing. That has to be the Empire tie-in right? Monet is also involved in that title, and its exciting to see them working together again. I hate that we have to wait so long.

oh my god. I've never heard of Gomez until today and im falling in love with his style.....Marcus To meets Pepe Larraz. Ultimate DoX serve

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Lorna looks amazing. That has to be the Empire tie-in right? Monet is also involved in that title, and its exciting to see them working together again. I hate that we have to wait so long.
    It’s not the Empyre tie in unless they changed artist for issue four again which is possible. I think it’s just as likely if not more likely another title. I know he is drawing a Mary Jane title written by Leah Williams and it could be a crossover there. It could also be a future Hickman one shot given Monet is on his top 10 list for favorite characters.

I'm really not surprised by Havok in the background of whatever it is Gomez is drawing. New red flag. It follows Marvel's pattern for the past decade of forcing Havok into Lorna's affairs so interest in her can be used to benefit him. Saw it with her origin story in X-Factor #243, saw it with All-New X-Factor, saw it on X-Men Blue, saw it during Uncanny X-Men, and now whatever this is.

If this is for Empyre, I'm now not getting it digital on release. I'm waiting to see if this is simply two bodies in the same space or something much worse. And if her Genosha history is brought up but misused to promote Havok at her expense, I'm raising hell over it.

This is where someone points out the obvious that we don't know what this is for or what will happen in it. Which is true. Maybe it means nothing. But Marvel's history for the past decade suggests otherwise, and it's best to prepare for a repeat of that history as Marvel's given no indications that they won't repeat it - just as everything else they do is on repeat with slightly different shades of color.

Anyway, better things.

This is by Paolo Orlandi.

Cosplay posted by ladycanary_cosplay, who cosplayed as Lorna.

Stitch by sewpinata for National Siblings Day.