Page 84 of 118 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1765

So I did, in fact, buy and read Deadpool #6 today. I gave my full thoughts on the spoiler thread. I felt it treated Lorna very well.

Last time I bought a Marvel comic was a few issues of the Uncanny X-Men event with Lorna in them, so this is basically between one and a few comics every 2 years for me.

Probably the most notable thing of the issue for Lorna, in my opinion (and I don't think this is too spoilery otherwise I'd tag it that way), is Lorna explicitly saying she brings her own metal to fights. She doesn't say how or where, but it's a great added character detail that I certainly hope sticks around.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

salarta, didn't you buy X-Men 1?

I didn't buy X-Men #1. I also didn't buy whatever issue of House of X it was that had exposition talked at her.

There's a scene between her and Cyclops in X-Men #1 where if the script had her mentioning her experience with Genosha, and had not shoehorned in yet another reminder of how Marvel's decided she's only allowed to date one (1) man in over 50 years, then I would have bought it. As it was, I don't think that issue really did anything for her. Did things for Magneto, Cyclops and Havok, sure, but not really Lorna.

Deadpool #6, on the other hand, I felt added a meaningful character detail and allowed her to operate among peers as her own character. Personality felt on point too.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Deadpool #6: Wacky hijinks, its plot was functional if nothing to write an opus about, but had a few good lines and it felt like Lorna in terms of persona so it was worth picking up.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-06-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

https://twitter.com/david_baldeon/st...57160542138369

David Baldeon talks about some creative decisions he made while drawing X-Factor. Here's what he said about Lorna:

… it gave me a chance to start building some character stuff for Lorna. Have you noticed how Magneto COMMANDS with his power for stuff to move, or whatever? I thought that Lorna, NOT being Magneto, would rather move things herself, rotating with her hands as if holding them.
    I thought this was a nice touch. It's interesting to see how creatives depict a difference between Polaris and her father. Obviously we've seen Magneto use his hands before, but I thought it was interesting to see how Baldeon interprets the two characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    https://twitter.com/david_baldeon/st...57160542138369

David Baldeon talks about some creative decisions he made while drawing X-Factor. Here's what he said about Lorna:

I thought this was a nice touch. It's interesting to see how creatives depict a difference between Polaris and her father. Obviously we've seen Magneto use his hands before, but I thought it was interesting to see how Baldeon interprets the two characters.
    That's really cool it makes it feel like Lorna's powers are more intricate than magneto's. While he is rough shod-ding things Lorna has a more intricate control meaning she proably has a deeper sense and connection to the objects she is controlling which could make her far more dangerous than a bring all the metal to me magneto. It also makes her FAR more versatile imo in the sense that she should be able to do things with metals magneto really couldn't. She would be a sculptress of magnetism while he is more a thor of the medium.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    That's really cool it makes it feel like Lorna's powers are more intricate than magneto's. While he is rough shod-ding things Lorna has a more intricate control meaning she proably has a deeper sense and connection to the objects she is controlling which could make her far more dangerous than a bring all the metal to me magneto. It also makes her FAR more versatile imo in the sense that she should be able to do things with metals magneto really couldn't. She would be a sculptress of magnetism while he is more a thor of the medium.
    His building the new residence for Emma in the GSXM:Magneto would disprove that statement, regarding Magneto and how he utilises his powers.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    His building the new residence for Emma in the GSXM:Magneto would disprove that statement, regarding Magneto and how he utilises his powers.
    Not really, just because he could control where the metal went doesn't mean he had the fine control to pull off the variance of what lorna did with krakoa in Xfactor. So it doesn't really disprove anything. He mashed a bunch of metal together for a building we haven't even seen inside. Whereas lorna creating an intricate base with various levels and multiple types of metals and minerals. So in your mind it's disproves it, but no facts.

Or rather magneto had a blueprint in his mind and made it happen by controlling the metal, lorna and krakoa scultped a base.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Not really, just because he could control where the metal went doesn't mean he had the fine control to pull off the variance of what lorna did with krakoa in Xfactor. So it doesn't really disprove anything. He mashed a bunch of metal together for a building we haven't even seen inside. Whereas lorna creating an intricate base with various levels and multiple types of metals and minerals. So in your mind it's disproves it, but no facts.

Or rather magneto had a blueprint in his mind and made it happen by controlling the metal, lorna and krakoa scultped a base.
    I think this is a really cool way of interpreting Polaris and Magneto's abilities. It would be great if we could see a writer actually try to further explore the concept, and show the distinction of Lorna's use of her abilities compared to her father. This idea that Polaris acts more akin to a sculptor is a great idea.

Lorna having differences compared to Magneto in how she views and engages her powers is a good thing for her. One of the regular discussions we've had in this thread in the past is how ideas of her as "redundant" are false because different characters can use the same power set in different ways. In those arguments, we've noted how there can be a bajillion psychics with the same powers as well as multiple claw-wielders and nobody has issues with them, meaning Lorna and Magneto having the same base power set shouldn't be an issue. So helping people to see she's not "redundant" is good. As long as it works to build on the character rather than cut her down. If it does more to restrict what she can do (especially in conflict with past use of her powers), then that can be a problem.

On another topic, I ran across this set of tweets.

This, right here, shows exactly why I say as much as I do about how Marvel needs to acknowledge and respect Lorna's history. As well as why it's important to explicitly say things in her history instead of leaving them to vague insider info you need to be a l33t comic reader to know. Ask the average person who was around early on with the team and they think of characters like Storm or Rogue. They don't even know Lorna exists, let alone that she was the second woman to join the X-Men. I'd say this also serves as a good case example for Iceman needing more representation.

Rogue is my favorite of all, but it pisses me off that everyone forgets that Bobby and Lorna were X-Men long before her

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Umm...okies.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

How Lorna uses her hands and even her fingers for effect can influence the emotional feel of a scene. I wouldn't say how either Magneto or Lorna do it has any real consistency to it as each artist has their own take. Baldeon had Lorna grabby in terms of what she was trying to interact which was a positive. I was always a fan of Lorna trying to use her hands to interact with the world around her.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-06-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    How Lorna uses her hands and even her fingers for effect can influence the emotional feel of a scene. I wouldn't say how either Magneto or Lorna do it has any real consistency to it as each artist has their own take. Baldeon had Lorna grabby in terms of what she was trying to interact which was a positive. I was always a fan of Lorna trying to use her hands to interact with the world around her.
    Me too, it also mirrors lorna in the fox show. I don't think it makes her less powerful than magneto either it makes her more powerful in some ways. Like for instance if they were looking for gold, lorna could literally feel the gold and just pull up a ton of gold where as magneto would pull up everything and then you would have to pick out the gold pieces. So where is upper limit may be higher garning him omega, Lorna can do far more diverse and interesting things with her powers making her a more immediate threat imo. How magneto's pillar looked rough and slapped together lorna's base was smooth and curved and fillled with many materials and resources and in the long wrong imo a far better structure.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.