Page 36 of 118 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-30-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    That bottom row is amazing. Would honesty love if we ever saw something like that. Great color scheme overall. The top row is nice, but I think without the cape it would make Lorna look too generic, and like some other heroes.

A similar non-cape look existed for an AU version of her on Exiles, but that version a) was an AU, and b) was a teenager (as far as I know/remember). Also, that version didn't have Lorna's history of serving an integral part of Genosha, surviving its genocide, being seen as a sovereign princess and Queen of Mutants, etc.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Yes! Bring back that Larry Stroman hair.

The “Stroman hair” went next level during DARK SEDUCTION miniseries under the pen of Roger Cruz!

Her hair there never made any sense. Why was it all of a sudden gas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    because she is a queen

I have a headcanon that Lorna's hair can be any color she wants, as well as X-Ray, ultraviolet, etc, because all colors of the rainbow plus those others are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. My headcanon further goes into that her hair's green either because it's the middle of the rainbow, or cause it's her default mood (like mood rings).
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I took it initially as the artist showing how Lorna’s power was being siphoned by Magneto to reinforce his own. His powers were not back at their peak at the time (for reasons I don’t recall) and Lorna agreed to act as a performance enhancer so that he could present himself as fully recovered.
    Panels earlier in “Dark Seduction” seem to support that interpretation of the artists’ visual codification of Polaris’ hair as an energy cloud.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Yeah I think her hair being like that was meant to symbolize her linkage with Mags and how in many ways she was basically serving as his right-hand woman more or less i.e. "Dark Seduction" (supposedly, if you ask me wasn't that dark and she did The Right Thing unlike her bratty sis!)

As for the redesigns and cape or no, I can go either way I've said this before. No cape works for her a "headcracker" on a team like XForce or whatever, cape is more for long-distance attacks or just being imposing.

My issue with the cape AND tiara is she comes off as too "delicate" or fragile and not really combat-ready as much.... it feels impractical UNLESS it's revealed her powers are used to sustain her outfit so if it's damaged in a fight she simply regens it then that's fine and she can have it be as wildly impractical as possible. I still like things being more streamlined though aesthetically
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    That bottom row is amazing. Would honesty love if we ever saw something like that. Great color scheme overall. The top row is nice, but I think without the cape it would make Lorna look too generic, and like some other heroes.
    The bottom left hand corner has enough of a warrior vibe and enough of a regal vibe I certainly could support it for a future outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I took it initially as the artist showing how Lorna’s power was being siphoned by Magneto to reinforce his own. His powers were not back at their peak at the time (for reasons I don’t recall) and Lorna agreed to act as a performance enhancer so that he could present himself as fully recovered.
    Panels earlier in “Dark Seduction” seem to support that interpretation of the artists’ visual codification of Polaris’ hair as an energy cloud.
    In Magneto War he threatened the Earth's governments to give him Genosha by connecting himself to a huge power amplification device where he was going to flip the magnetic poles and turn Earth's electronics to slag. That damaged his ability to connect to electromagnetic field in a way not explained.

In terms of the power hair issue she had power hair after not connected to Magneto's power for awhile. In fact she had a slightly different version of power hair for short periods earlier in the 90s.

The real reason I suspect is artists thought it was a cool look when she is channeling a lot of power. The in universe reason I tend to think of it with younger and more inexperienced Lorna when she was channeling the power of the Earth's EM field through her nervous system she was less experienced and she was giving off energy. Yes, they used a lot more energy hair bubbles when she was connected to Magneto, because she was channeling energy for two people. But, after when she wasn't the hair didn't immediately go away though it did under the next set of artists.

In terms of Lorna and Genosha the character hasn't been connected to big iconic X-Men storylines. She was barely present in a few of them, but she didn't do hardly anything so her presence is typically straight up forgotten. The problem with her Genosha era as far as packaging an epic storyline for Lorna is concerned is that it happened under a half dozen writers over the span of several years.

In a lot of ways it was a re-enactment of her original storyline down to Magneto being out of commission for a lot of it.

Ironically the best part of the storyline was the fallout which for at least a couple years gave Lorna as a character a guiding purpose outside of being a love interest. But, like I said making one trade as Jean has for her most iconic storyline is difficult for Lorna's as it was done over too many writers. But, thanks to the magic of online comics it will be easy to compile them into a reading order for future fans.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-30-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    As for the redesigns and cape or no, I can go either way I've said this before. No cape works for her a "headcracker" on a team like XForce or whatever, cape is more for long-distance attacks or just being imposing.

My issue with the cape AND tiara is she comes off as too "delicate" or fragile and not really combat-ready as much.... it feels impractical UNLESS it's revealed her powers are used to sustain her outfit so if it's damaged in a fight she simply regens it then that's fine and she can have it be as wildly impractical as possible. I still like things being more streamlined though aesthetically
    I like when Lorna has a weaponized costume with metallics sprinkled throughout it for handy usage in combat. If not going as far as the similarly powered member of ClanDestine, Argent http://https://marvel.fandom.com/wik...ne_(Earth-616) who created armor for herself and mixed it up as melee fighter, then at least in the (limited) capacity that we’ve seen Polaris herself do so...

A weaponized cape could be presented as simply as a metallic sheen interior or go the Zaladane route with couture that screams “I’m wearing knives...THIS B*TCH will CUT you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I like when Lorna has a weaponized costume with metallics sprinkled throughout it for handy usage in combat. If not going as far as the similarly powered member of ClanDestine, Argent http://https://marvel.fandom.com/wik...ne_(Earth-616) who created armor for herself and mixed it up as melee fighter, then at least in the (limited) capacity that we’ve seen Polaris herself do so...

A weaponized cape could be presented as simply as a metallic sheen interior or go the Zaladane route with couture that screams “I’m wearing knives...THIS B*TCH will CUT you.”
    The costume needs to be all purpose as in something that works for the character other then in a street level setting.

Her father has a nearly perfect all purpose costume for that. Lorna's current space default costume is a weak sauce, toned down version of her classic. It feels too much like princess wear and not enough something a warrior would wear. Lorna's various 90s outfits were too much either team outfits or rather generic super hero outfits.

The outfit Lorna should wear for the overall Marvel universe should strongly say warrior and have some purpose much like Magneto's outfit has various purposes. Super strong metal fabric and telepathic resistant helmet. But, her outfit also should have enough of a regal vibe it can look natural when she isn't kicking ass and taking names.

If the character is to be successful she generally can't be compartmentalized to one satellite title and has to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time. I think at least this Spring and Summer she might start to do that with her involvement on Empyre and X-Factor. The only question is if it continues beyond the immediate promotional period to get X-Factor off the ground of the character existing more then on one book as her father, Jean, Storm and many X-characters do.

If they do allow her to be part of the broader x-line/MU it needs to avoid the mistake of last decade. Last decade writers tried to merge the two by Lorna being 'bad ass' when possessed or unstable. When is the last time fans actually had long threads discussing anything Lorna centered (not her family) outside of her appreciation thread? 2006?

Hickman's Lorna actually did cause some debate because of one line. Nothing on the order of magnitude of the debates of the early 2000s, but it was something.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-30-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Artistic license, I guess. Also -- the artist probably saw the effect used on another character and foolishly decided to employ it for Lorna.

I have to say, despite liking the Neal Adams era outift, I prefer her without a cape in the modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Beautiful! A rare head-on view or pose of Lorna utilizing her powers.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 03-30-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Where is THIS delightful Lorna LEWK from????