Page 56 of 118 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I want to see Lorna casually dating. I hope thats something Leah gets to do with her. Thats not something she's been allowed to do since the early 70s, like 40 years ago. Only Bobby and Alex, both the same two men she had history with back then

lol not Emma's man !

Isnt Tony dead at the moment?

I would be open to seeing her date Warren, Namor and/or someone else
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-31-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

LOL. But, I think you might be onto something where you could have an opposites attract or real disagreement on mutant/human issues between Lorna and a potential partner. Taking risks is key and not recycling nostalgia. Who that person is happens to be wide open as far as I am concerned.

I'm into Lorna and Namor. Very steamy

There would be a lot of interesting drama to explore if Lorna dates a human in X-factor. Are the mutants of Krakoa being pressured into seeking relationships exclusively with other mutants? Are human/mutant couples looked down upon now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    There would be a lot of interesting drama to explore if Lorna dates a human in X-factor. Are the mutants of Krakoa being pressured into seeking relationships exclusively with other mutants? Are human/mutant couples looked down upon now?
    We dont know but that will likely be touched on in X-Factor considering Northstar is married to a human

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    They are promoting pro-mutant natalist policies which probably means the council would prefer mutant-mutant couples for reasons of having kids, but they haven't demanded it as yet as far as I have seen. In terms of it as a potential storyline I can see it working one day, but there are a few problems about pulling the idea anytime soon. The humans that have a real built in story who she can date are under Brevoort's editorial right now and that would be way too big a hurdle.

Magneto dating Lee Forrester in the 80s worked at the time because it was coming off years of militancy for the character and it managed to show there was another side to him and help to better round the character. Lorna at this point in terms of mutant issues needs to rebuild credibility as writers decided to toss her in space limbo and then keep her separate from mutant rights for the decade after she returned.

I think the best time for a human relationship for Lorna is coming off a militant arc to show another side of the character. It would have been a good storyline for 2005 not 2020. She is too old for a Romeo and Juliet type storyline. If they pulled it 30-40 years ago it could have worked.

In the absence of a big name human like Iron Man or a great humanizing storyline type arc dating a no-name human she is left with mutants. In terms of mutant names I don't see any viable candidates on X-Factor. Outside X-Factor there are options and whatever happens I would argue should play to her strengths and rebuild her connections inside the mutant world.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-31-2020 at 03:52 PM.

You all already know my preference to see Lorna in relationship with another woman, and how being so with Jean is what I'm most interested in. I'd also be up for Emma, maybe a new version of Dreamer (so long as Marvel doesn't treat Lorna poorly in the process), probably some others.

If I had to go outside of X-Men, She-Hulk could be interesting given the Green Power bit. If it had to be a man, then I'm gonna throw the idea of Captain America out there for thought.

Overall, relationship history is yet another of several areas where Marvel continuing mistakes of the past makes the Marvel of today look bad. In all of over 50 years, the only character you can realistically say she had any kind of more-than-friendship relationship with is Havok. Iceman and Gambit were at best flirtations that went nowhere. Meanwhile, Havok gets a new woman every decade.

If Marvel wants to project an image of real progress, they can't stop at a few token characters they heavily promote and leave everything else stuck in the past. Even if they personally don't value Lorna, they need to at least stop treating her like she's a character inspired by the conservative-leaning side of the 60s but created in the 90s to be Havok's girlfriend. Even 1968 introductory issues Lorna was more advanced than the image Marvel seems to have of her.

Now for some art. karen_xmenfan made this piece for a commission. karen_xmenfan has previously drawn Lorna (the punk-looking pic of her giving the middle finger, buzz cut green hair and spiked choker).

It was commissioned by these cosplayers.

Interest in the sisters as sisters still going strong, 6 years after the Axis forced retcon that's kept good sister stories from happening.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

aw I love that its based on a bestie cosplay <3 thanks for sharing

New variants for Empyre X-Men. No Lorna, but Emma and the Cuckoos are there.

Salvador Larroca is doing a variant cover for Empyre X-Men #4.

We don't know what to expect yet from Empyre X-Men other then it looks packed. If we have a Lorna built upon what Hickman hinted at in House of X a more Morrison/Austen era pathos its going to be great for both Lorna fans and Marvel.

If I had to go back to what went wrong with Lorna's story a decade and a half ago after the strong focus on mutant rights issues and the iconic debate with Xavier in the ruins of Genosha I would say Milligan threw out too many different ideas. At the start it was centered around Genosha, then it quickly moved to what she saw in space and then back to possession pathos. He also fell back on old love triangles and Lorna almost exclusively interacting with the same old faces. Lorna's focus was no longer on mutants.

Then came Brubaker where she was the most Havok's Jean she had been probably since 1991 and it was a half decade of space adventures having nothing at all to do with mutant issues. When she returned her writers tried integrating some of the newer ideas since the 90s on some of the older ones. But, what she was really missing was any interest in mutant rights and she was used by the writer as his voice for what identity politics should be vs what makes sense for her to view given her history. They ignored big parts of her history to make that work though it didn't help her or them.

Now we get back to the Hickman era where it definitely seemed to be something she had in mind in House of X #5 even though it wasn't stated out right. The brilliance of the Genosha pathos vs mind control or any other she has had is it impacts her world view on the core themes of the X-Men and has real world parallels and it can impact her interaction and relationships with other characters.

Lorna as a character has been irrelevant in the comics since Decimation though its not exclusive to her as the x-books had issues since then in general. Right now she isn't exactly relevant to the Krakoan status quo and I get that and certainly feel as though to this point she has been cut out of the main politics of the island which even the Cuckoos have been attached to. That might or might not change, but I will say it the character returns to her activist themes of the early 2000s and dealing with her new thinking about the world long term it will pay off in spades for Marvel and the character.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-03-2020 at 02:26 PM.

I remember seeing Polaris years ago and she had super strength powers? Can someone explain where these powers came from and went please?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I remember seeing Polaris years ago and she had super strength powers? Can someone explain where these powers came from and went please?

Thank you
    Marvel never told us so your guess is as good as anyone's. You can chalk it up to a secondary mutation which Morrison wouldnt coin for another 11 years

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Marvel never told us so your guess is as good as anyone's. You can chalk it up to a secondary mutation which Morrison wouldnt coin for another 11 years
    My fanon explanation (to rework it into something halfway decent instead of the real reason of "cause Claremont didn't like Lorna") is that Zaladane forced those powers on Lorna to try to humiliate her and inflict mental and emotional pain.

It took Lorna from a fairly unique power that allowed her to call herself the Mistress of Magnetism and Queen of Mutants, to a generic set of run-of-the-mill abilities. Those changes gave her body dysmorphia (implied by a session she had with Doc Samson), and the absurd hate power meant her very existence brought out the worst in people and made them want to hurt or kill her - yet unable to do so since she was invulnerable. So Zaladane's goal wouldn't be actually getting Lorna killed, but the psychological damage of everyone she meets wishing she was dead.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

In terms of behind the scenes reasoning, I think it had something to do with Claremont just not knowing what to do with her - classic move of his, when he didn't know what to do with a character he'd change up their powerset. Not a bad strategy but I'm glad it didn't stick w/ Lorna lol. iirc It was undone during the Muir Island Saga when he was finishing up his first run