Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
The idea of Lorna confronting Havok is one of those things where I can see good reason for it, but if it happens, I think they need the time apart before Marvel could do it in any way that's good. Otherwise we'll just get it written in a way that still ends up being all about promoting Havok.

I think as it stands at this very second, all the current Omega classification list does is demonstrate where Hickman's biases lie. One character ends up on the list, but another character that has equal or more reason to be on the list under the very criteria he put forward somehow isn't. He either needs to radically rethink the whole concept or do away with it. All merely tweaking the criteria so Magneto's still valid but Lorna's not would do is reaffirm his biases and suggest they're worse than previously thought.

I knew it wouldn't really translate into Lorna getting a bigger push, because we saw for quite some time how people within Marvel first tried to ignore her as Magneto's daughter, then tried to write around her as if she didn't really "count." It's something of a miracle that they didn't just wholesale retcon her again and shove her back into crying behind a rock for Havok to save her from Sabretooth. The big issue now is Marvel needing to get Lorna's dynamics with her father right. Marvel has a tendency to treat her dynamics with other men in the same way as she's been treated around Havok, so it's essential to push for Marvel looking at their relationship sincerely on its own opportunities.

I don't think it's strange that they thought Blink would break out, but I do think it's telling how they were eager to promote Blink yet refused to do the same for Lorna. It shows how deeply entrenched negative attitudes toward Lorna are at Marvel when they see all the Gifted buzz about Lorna and all they can think is "I know, let's use her to promote Havok."

It's become pretty obvious that Marvel's been really, really trying to force Havok into popularity since 2017. And honestly, I wouldn't really care what they did with Havok if Marvel a) gave Lorna everything she's due, and b) hadn't repeatedly misused Lorna in their quest to promote Havok - especially in the past few years. If Marvel's going to push Havok into the spotlight, and they refuse to make things right for Lorna, then how badly they've treated Lorna is also going into the spotlight whether they like it or not.
Yeah, it would turn out in a way that the audience is supposed to root for Havok instead and Lorna would get painted as the crazy ex yet again. She would get gaslighted and I'm really not in the mood to see that occur anytime soon, let alone ever again.

I don't expect Hickman will change his classifications at all now so I'm just expecting that the next writer will end up altering things since the only consistent thing about the concept of an omega-level mutant is that it can be expected to constantly change with every new writer and every new run.

In all of Lorna's history, would you say that her crying behind the rock for Alex while Sabretooth hunted her down was her worst published moment ever? I can think of a few others that would rank low but that truly has to be her worst moment. I have no idea how Claremont could empower almost all his female characters but not do the same with Lorna. And the only time she was empowered was always when she was brainwashed. She didn't get a codename or the ability to fly until Erik the Red brainwashed her and we really didn't see any impressive power displays from her until Malice took over. I'm really very curious as to why he had such a blindspot for her, because surely it has to be more complicated than the fact that he felt everything she could do, Storm could do better.

What I find strange about them feeling Blink would break out is the fact that they thought she could capture a new audience but didn't feel the same about Lorna who is a much older and more recognizable character. It seems that Claremont isn't the only one with a blindspot towards her because all of Marvel has it too.

Not even 2017 because Havok has been heavily pushed this whole past decade. He was given a role in First Class and then made the leader of Marvel NOW's flagship book. In the few bits of X-Men merchandise that were coming out, they'd include Havok but never Lorna. For whatever reason, they've had an interest to push him for a long time now.