Page 19 of 118 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

For the second batch coffee and Red Bull don’t mix.

Last edited by jmc247; 02-12-2020 at 01:25 PM.

I'm very excited for Lorna in 2020. I always found her super funny and badass. One thing I hope she does is some cool stuff with her powers. I'd like for Lorna to tap more into the geomagnetic forces to differentiate her from her daddy and make use of her degree lol

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Polaris' new costume.

Here's what series scribe Williams has to say about the introduction of Aurora to the squad. “I hadn’t originally planned on having Aurora be a part of the field team," Leah explains. "She was destined to have a role more along the lines of operations and intel around the Boneyard, which is the name for X-factor’s Krakoan headquarters. Like Polaris, I need Aurora to have a lot of additional bandwidth to do individual character work with her—so keeping her untethered to explore her growth without Northstar overshadowing her was my goal. But then," the writer pauses, "I saw David’s design for her X-factor uniform and changed my mind."
    I think that my favorite ones so far are Jean-Paul and Lorna. Which is a good thing since they’re at the center of this book and this team, and it is great to get to know and draw the team dynamics through the gateway they are. I have a soft spot for Rachel too, and I love what we’ve come up with for her in this book, both in sync with her visual story and, hopefully, still fresh and different.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...actor-costumes

For a team book style outfit its one of her better ones. Her iteration and its distinctiveness with the gold bottom is a good touch harkening back to her original outfit and House of M. I feel like it fits the character more then the X-Men Blue outfit and much more then her previous X-Factor outfits though I have never been a fan of team outfits in general.

BANNED

i realy really like it, its fresh and serious at the same time with that jacket, the power signature looks absolutly lovely, black and yellow complementing her green are classical choices but they are realy well done here

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I enjoy it.

I think its a strong modern design. I'm happy to see a darker green on the torso compared to the lighter green ombre on the jacket. They yellow accents, and black portions really help the green pop more, and I'm excited to see more of it.

BANNED

new costumes are always super healthy for a characther. in my opinion

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Wow I love her new costume (although the upper thighs showing is an interesting choice for Lorna!) and I like how its a quasi team uniform too. Nice

Also like what Leah is saying there

Interesting the artist is continuing to portray both Lorna and Rachel with all-white eyes sort of emphasizing their transcendent power or something like they're too strong to even be a casual human looking at you lol

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Okay, I'll bite on this "dark Lorna" talk on account of discussions I've seen people engage in. Wargaming a scenario I know Marvel's never going to do, but which demonstrates a way Marvel could have very easily turned things around if they cared.

For the record, if I had the slightest bit of faith in this company, I don't think I'd make this post so as not to limit their narrative options. As it is, no sense worrying.

Lorna launched Krakoa into space. She survived Genosha. HoX/PoX/DoX/SoX/XBoX melds those two elements of her character history into one product - which for Lorna, has a certain roughness.

Let's say you're Krakoa. From your POV as Krakoa, what is your mental image of Polaris? I'd wager it's the same as that X-Factor cover - evil, powerful, larger than life, fully capable of destroying you and everything you've grown. Some people who highly value Krakoa as their home might even look upon how Lorna once threw it into space and hate her for it, or not trust her. That could be the impetus behind Lorna being forced "on the outside" of Krakoa matters - which could take many forms. It could be Krakoa subtly influencing the minds of those on it. It could be pure public image, with Magneto and the rest not wanting to risk citizens feeling uneasy about Lorna's presence or her having much power in the society. This would explain why she's been given no major roles, why her history went ignored from the start, etc. Lorna is, in essence, "the traitor" who threw away their salvation.

... But wait. Krakoa is de facto Genosha. Lorna was all aboard for Genosha, and mutants considered her their Queen of Mutants once again afterward (until she got forced into space and Marvel promptly forgot she was anywhere near Genosha). That's the roughness. Krakoa is the new embodiment of what she fought and suffered for, yet Krakoa (or its society) ostracizes her. And, perhaps Lorna doesn't trust it right back. Perhaps she fears Krakoa is going to one day rise up and kill everyone, repeating the horror of what happened on Genosha on a grander scale.

So what's a Genosha surviving former Queen of Mutants to do? Should she just accept being on the outside of an idea that she poured so much of herself into? Would she see Krakoa as a perversion of and threat to the ideal of a mutant nation, and try to forge her own path, or plan contingencies should Krakoa act against mutants?

All of that could feed into a "second act" with Lorna as the primary instigator. What role she plays in that second act would depend entirely on direction. Is she a hero who plays a vital role in stopping Krakoa (or some dark part of it) in the nick of time? Is she an insurrectionist who, though well-intentioned, is ultimately wrong about Krakoa? Whatever the case, her history could flood back into the setting and play a meaningful role in questioning the nature of Krakoa and this new society. Suddenly, Marvel ignoring Lorna's essential history goes from "we don't like and respect her enough to use her like we should" to "we were just setting the stage for the second act, but obviously we couldn't tell you that."

In the end, none of the above is going to happen. But sometimes, just sometimes, I find it worthwhile to emphasize what could be, so that it can be compared to what actually ends up happening.
    Really good conceptualization and theme brainstorming here salarta, great job
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I think she got the best costume of the branch. I like it. Rachel's good too. I do not like Prodigy's and Eye-Boy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    new costumes are always super healthy for a characther. in my opinion
    New costumes represent a new era. Her space costume was a generic version of her classic and came to represent stagnation. She did have new outfits the past few years, but they turned into failed starts. I don't think any run with Lorna seriously had editorial backing or was tied in with the major events of the line since the 00s.

The yellow power aura is what I am most iffy about in terms of the outfit. Her headdress is the only iconic feature of her previous outfits and while she can go without it for awhile I know it will come back because much like Magneto's helmet it always comes back and when it does hopefully it will get a revamp.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-12-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

My one thing I will notice that could be a negative is I feel she seems portrayed a bit "youngish" doesn't she? I mean she ought to be equivalent in age to the O5 (which in my headcanon is like... at least mid 30s). She was already a civilian adult with Havok in the 1970s era so yeah it's a little regressive for her to look so kinda cute and spunky here. But it can work we'll just find out.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    New costumes represent a new era. Her space costume was a generic version of her classic and came to represent stagnation. She did have new outfits the past few years, but they turned into failed starts. I don't think any run with Lorna seriously had editorial backing or was tied in with the major events of the line since the 00s.

The yellow power aura is what I am most iffy about in terms of the outfit. Her headdress is the only iconic feature of her previous outfits and while she can go without it for awhile I know it will come back because much like Magneto's helmet it always comes back and when it does hopefully it will get a revamp.
    i think the headress is too much for a team dealing with investigation and more subtle cases

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    i think the headress is too much for a team dealing with investigation and more subtle cases
    I never said differently, but I did say its the only iconic imagery to the character outside of her green hair and it will come back in time. We will see about the yellow power halo as I am not sure my view on it as yet.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-12-2020 at 02:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I never said differently, but I did say its the only iconic imagery to the character outside of her green hair and it will come back in time. We will see about the yellow power halo.
    the yellow hallow would look awesome in conjuction with her headress and the rest of her power signature imo

BANNED

watch how shes basicaly the star of this cover, man its a really good picture