Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Lorna Dane: Polaris Appreciation 2020

Polaris Thread Mark IV: Fighting the good fight edition

I wasn't sure what to start off with, but I figured it should be moments over time Lorna argued for or fought for her fellow mutants.

We look ahead to a new year with new life only hinted at for Lorna in her new venue. Krakoa the living island.

Lorna has so far not worked out as a floating character without a team book unlike her two years on Genosha, I suspect because she doesn't have an actual role on the island as she did on Genosha, but who knows what the new year will bring.

Previous Polaris Threads
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-01-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Happy New Year!

We got some nice stuff in 2019, so here's hoping 2020 can lead to even better things for Polaris.

Xavier Files has a plug for Emma Dumont's Polaris.

Xavier Files: Damn, remember how there was the best Polaris ever on TV in 2019 and none of us watched it?

Xavier Files: I am struggling through finishing season two

Greg Anderson: Season 1 was good. Season 2 tried to be an #XMen movie. Not sure if it succeeded, but it lost what was great in the show.

AJ: Everybody watch The Gifted because it was low-key the best live-action X-Men series we didn’t know we needed and also Emma Dumont is a perfect Lorna Dane who single-handedly made me a Polaris fan

I have a great deal of respect for Emma Dumont speaking out about her character last season.

It was case and point why Lorna as a character needs an external motivation for what she is doing be it in the comics or live action. Season 1 she had that with helping mutants. One could agree or disagree with her methods, but she had a solid core to the character of what motivated her one that disappeared in season 2 when it became all about will she or won’t she with her ex and the fight over her child. For myself Lorna doesn't work as a character motivated mainly by who she loves/cares about more. That notion is her bane in the comics which leads only to love triangles and loyalty triangles neither are good for Lorna on their own.

That is not to say that she can't have people she loves be they romantic or familial, but its a disaster for her when that is all she has. Emma's Polaris was included in articles about fictional characters we left behind in 2019.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-01-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Happy New Year to Lorna .

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Glad someone remade this thread. Good ideas for the OP.

And yeah Dumont did amazing. Even in season 2 she had glimpses and flashes of what she could have done for Polaris (notably episode 4 with her staredown of Thunderbird/Blink, episode 5 with her cold assessment of the success of their operations despite Andy kind of questioning things, also the way she started to get good camaraderie with Esme, episode 6 with her extremely ferocious assault on Esme out of almost nowhere, episode 7 with her casual dispatching of the human enemies inside Creed Financial, episode 8 with her emotional and heartfelt reshaping of Magneto's medallion trinket into her own headpiece, as well as her achieving amazing closure with Marcos and making a final decision regarding her daughter, episode 9 with her destroying the mutant collar servers nationwide, episode 10 with her helping to annihilate Purifiers). Episodes 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 she was either barely even in or were complete and utter disasters for the character and it was CLEAR Dumont herself knew it during the scenes.

I have not been posting about Polaris lately, I'm waiting for her to make some appearance in the books to form an opinion. Hoping it's in Giant-Size 2. And maybe more...? Really hope there's more.

I will repeat I want her to be on an "Acolytes" title but the fact we have "X-Force" and now the upcoming "Hellions" makes me doubt the space for such a book exists.

Not feeling her on "X-Corp." if she's placed there but it all depends on execution.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Figured i would share here too since Lorna would make my DC/Marvel team.

justmen.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I hope they give her a book/team soon.
    Her appearance in XM 01 have me wanting and anticipating more of her.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

i miss her a lot
    we can be heroes, just for one day

I was going to wait to post in here again until I had something else ready, but this ended up so long and took so much time that I decided I should make a post anyway.

Here is my decade in review of the 2010s for Polaris, from 2009 to 2019 plus my thoughts on the future.

I may edit this post in the future to include other information if I think it's relevant.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Polaris is in X-Factor by Leah Williams and David Baldeon.

And Magneto’s daughter, Polaris? “Northstar may be the team leader,” Williams said, “but Polaris is the north star. For everything.”
    Leah Williams on Polaris.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 01-13-2020 at 11:40 AM.

And Magneto’s daughter, Polaris? “Northstar may be the team leader,” Williams said, “but Polaris is the north star. For everything.”
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I'm really excited to see Lorna alongside Northstar, Daken, and Rachel in particular. I know people might not like her on X-Factor, but I'm happy that at least the cast is different than what we've seen before. I've also wanted to see a woman write Lorna, so I'm excited to see that as well.

Not sure about the art though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I'm really excited to see Lorna alongside Northstar, Daken, and Rachel in particular. I know people might not like her on X-Factor, but I'm happy that at least the cast is different than what we've seen before. I've also wanted to see a woman write Lorna, so I'm excited to see that as well.

Not sure about the art though.
    I love that as of right now it has a clear premise and Lorna will be assisting in arguably one of the most important, ongoing missions for Krakoa. I hope she looks and sounds amazing.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

cool, this is great

we can be heroes, just for one day