Page 102 of 118 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1765
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I believe in an AiPT article White said that they will not be re-writing the GSXM Tribute.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It started out as just related to treatment of Lorna. It's increasingly become Marvel as a whole these past few years.

In the beginning, I was fairly optimistic with the idea that if people at Marvel could just see what's good in her, if they saw the interest she could gain with good treatment and proper support, they would do more and better for her. I also saw problems like what I mentioned of Children's Crusade as just problems with a single person. I was at times harsh with criticism and concerns, but I still thought maybe it was just a matter of someone not knowing what's possible with her.

The same can't be said about the past few years. People at Marvel know how much interest she can get thanks to Lorna breaking out on Gifted. This happened in spite of Lorna not being the character expected to break out on the show. They also know what people liked about that depiction - it wasn't how she could be a great girlfriend to some guy, or how she could be very useful for someone else's agenda. It was the rough, rebellious, conflicted yet heroic leader side of her. Yet, instead, all Marvel ever does with her is use her to promote other characters, ignoring her history, constantly trying to remind everyone she's been Havok's girlfriend like that's more important to her identity than surviving a genocide. I can no longer say "Marvel just doesn't know what she offers." At this point, they know, they just don't want to respect it.

As a result, I've become more aware of problems with Marvel as a whole. And when I say as a whole, I mean the entire scope, including licensing deals, not just the comics. Like Perlmutter in leaked E-mails claiming female superhero films aren't viable. Or Black Widow excluded from Avengers merch. Or past creator complaints about what it was like to work at Marvel. There are even some things I really wish I could cite, but I can't, because I know the impact they could have on some people. At this point, I think Marvel is insincere about diversity and similar things. It looks good for PR. Greenlighting some small out of the way project gives them cover if someone complains, where they or their fans can say "See, we did X, you can't complain now." Quite honestly, I think the only reason they have big plans for Storm now is because they know it looks bad in a time of Black Lives Matter to give her nothing, when they should have been doing more with and for her right out of the gate.

So yeah. I'm pessimistic and jaded with Marvel as a whole. I got there by how they've treated Lorna. I know the fictional Marvel universe is an amazing wonderland with loads to offer, and every character is full of awesome potential. But I think Marvel, the company, is incredibly regressive and undermines everything its universe could be for the sake of nostalgia, power, whatever.
    It feels like you're talking about corporations in general right now. Like how big sports owners are 'allowing' their players to express their views on matters, when they previously did everything they could to gag them. Now they pretend to support their causes but in actuality they donate money to political parties and causes that are very clearly against those beliefs.

On the plus side, IMO, Polaris had a good showing in X of Swords!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    It feels like you're talking about corporations in general right now. Like how big sports owners are 'allowing' their players to express their views on matters, when they previously did everything they could to gag them. Now they pretend to support their causes but in actuality they donate money to political parties and causes that are very clearly against those beliefs.
    I've seen the same behavior with several other companies, yes, which is part of why I can see a lot of the insincerity with Marvel. Awareness of behavior in one place makes it easier to see the same in other places. I could probably write a very long and involved post on why this is a bigger issue with Marvel than with what I have observed of other companies, but I'm not sure if it would accomplish much at this time and it would veer more from the main thread topic. And need to omit certain information, something I've never had to do regarding any other company.

We have X-Factor #4 and what comes after X-Factor #4 to see where things stand.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Has anyone read the Giant-Size tribute and the fourth issue of X-Factor ? Did Lorna have a good role in X-Factor (I only saw a panel where she was with Monet) ? Was her story respected in the tribute ?

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Has anyone read the Giant-Size tribute and the fourth issue of X-Factor ? Did Lorna have a good role in X-Factor (I only saw a panel where she was with Monet) ? Was her story respected in the tribute ?
    She was the main focus of X-Factor I would say. She has an interesting role in this

Spectacular Member

I remember when Lorna was making the Boneyard in X-Factor 1 or 2, she talks to Krakoa and said they met before - what did she mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    I remember when Lorna was making the Boneyard in X-Factor 1 or 2, she talks to Krakoa and said they met before - what did she mean by that?
    Their connection is explained in the Giant-Size X-Men # 1 tribute
    Logically

In short, when Krakoa was a threat to the X-Men, Lorna used her powers to throw the island into space

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I wasn't sure how to feel at first about today's issue.

A good number of the issue is from Polaris' POV, and it was lovely to see a writer give us some insight into her thoughts/emotions. It's a stark difference from when we last saw Lorna, and I was worried, but the ending is very satisfyingly and true to form for Polaris. I felt it was a nice little character arc for Lorna. Lorna's connection to earth once again plays a role, and I'm really loving that.

I was wondering what the Polaris fans would think of this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I wasn't sure how to feel at first about today's issue.
    My thumbs remain more down then up when it comes to Leah's Lorna.

It can be fixed, but I will put it this way. It is fine and even good that the character can be emotionally conflicted and even weak on occasion and that can make the character feel human. But, I don't really feel the counterbalancing force with Lorna of late.

She spends a whole issue freaking out about the death in battle of a mutant she never had any real interaction with before now, even before she doesn't know she won't be able to bring him back in 15 seconds. If they traced that back in her thoughts to her feeling of failure to protect her people leading to the death of 16 million of them I would have been more forgiving, but no it doesn't.

This Lorna felt like she didn't have emotional control over herself which I can accept at times with the character its also important to recognize she has led armies and lost people in battles before. She feels emotionally regressed. In terms of Magneto his voice felt off as well.

My overall feeling about current Lorna is too much she is lacking her normal duality of a strong and uncompromising, at times even brutal side that contrasts the at times weak and unsure side of the character. This was my feeling about Lorna in X-Factor #1 and its still my feeling in X-Factor #4. I like her increased focus, but I have always said my view on the positives and negatives of any particular characterization she has had.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-30-2020 at 08:50 AM.

It's very angsty, and I think Leah overdoes it, but the ending speech Polaris gives was great.

Lorna feeling distraught/insecure doesn't bother me, but some of Lorna's thoughts felt kind of random to me. The ending really saves it IMO.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I was mostly good with Lorna's characterization, it really highlighted the dichotomy of her character and some of her struggles with identity. What felt a little off to me was the revelation that she sometimes wants to fade away, that didn't quite feel true to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I was mostly good with Lorna's characterization, it really highlighted the dichotomy of her character and some of her struggles with identity. What felt a little off to me was the revelation that she sometimes wants to fade away, that didn't quite feel true to me.
    This is how I feel as well. Particularly the bold. I thought Leah did a good job with that. I 100% agree with the fading away thing as well, and that's the moment that kinda felt off to me.

I didnt like how Lorna kept fainting. That reminded me of the 60s/TAS Jean Grey

ETA: Lorna then and now

Last edited by Havok83; 09-30-2020 at 10:04 AM.