Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I love that as of right now it has a clear premise and Lorna will be assisting in arguably one of the most important, ongoing missions for Krakoa. I hope she looks and sounds amazing.
    The premise is definitely interesting. It sounds like she'll be playing an important role for the group, even if Northstar is the one calling the shots. Its nice seeing her having a role on Krakoa, and I'm excited to see how Leah handles Lorna.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 01-13-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The premise is definitely interesting. It sounds like she'll be playing an important role for the group, even if Northstar is the one calling the shots. Its nice seeing her having a role on Krakoa, and I'm excited to see how Leah handles Lorna.
    You all know Lorna much better than I do but it feels right that she would want to take on this role. Searching for and recovering lost mutants, especially after Genosha.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Salarta must be several supernovas beyond EUPHORIC!!! with the X-Factor news.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

You all know Lorna much better than I do but it feels right that she would want to take on this role. Searching for and recovering lost mutants, especially after Genosha.
    I like her being involved with investigating the death of mutants. She's been involved with a theme like that before, when she was working with Jamie's team, but this time its more focused more on Mutants as opposed to other worldly/weird happenings.

I am a bit worried about the romantic elements of the book however. Polaris has been defined a great deal by her romantic connection with a certain someone, and I don't want more of the same of that. I am hopeful that Leah can avoid the pitfalls of some of Lorna's past writers.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 01-13-2020 at 12:48 PM.

I like her being involved with investigating the death of mutants. She's been involved with a theme like that before, when she was working with Jamie's team, but this time its more focused more on Mutants as opposed to other worldly/weird happenings.

I am a bit worried about the romantic elements of the book however. Polaris has been defined a great deal by her romantic connection with a certain someone, and I don't want more of the same of that. I am hopeful that Leah can avoid the pitfalls of some of Lorna's past writers.
    Agreed, it seems right up her alley with investigative work.

Leah has made cameos around here I believe so hopefully she's "heard".

I need to write some things about this.

A female writer writing Lorna is something I've said she needs for the past few years. It was during X-Men Blue that I really started to notice how male writers, as a general (but not all-encompassing) rule, tend to write her as if she only exists to benefit men (Havok, Magneto, Gambit, etc), while projects with female involvement (Astonishing X-Men, Secret Wars: House of M, a couple issues of the event Uncanny book) did a better job of actually seeing her as a character in her own right.

Of female writers at Marvel, Kelly Thompson is the one I saw receiving the most tweets asking her to write Lorna, but Leah Thompson came after her. Followed I think by Gail Simone distantly.

Most of this is "wait and see."

Williams referring to Lorna as "the north star. For everything." is an interesting quote. Implies moves within Marvel to make her name actually represent something. Which is good. Also makes her working with Northstar into something that has options.

I'm not sure from the premise just how connected this will be to the whole Dawn of X setup. But as I've already said before: the less she's involved in DoX, the better. That house of cards is going to crash, and even if it wasn't, Hickman et al don't respect Lorna enough for her to get proper use in that project in any sense. Otherwise she would've at minimum been on the X-women variant cover, and X-Men #1 would've used her history with Genosha instead of defining her exclusively by who's her daddy or how she's not banging Cyclops' bro now. Perhaps the stories here will be isolated enough that the DoX elements can be ignored in the future.

I'm not a fan of Lorna returning to a book titled X-Factor only as a team member rather than a team leader. Her leadership tenure on ANXF wasn't given a real chance, and I increasingly think Marvel intended for it to fail from the start. Between no promotion, overemphasis on Gambit to Lorna's detriment in #4-6, and the BS of sabotaging ANXF #14 (the Lorna and Wanda sister issue), there were plenty of factors. Not to mention a couple factors I've only realized within the past year.

In other words, Lorna simply being a team member on a book titled X-Factor is something I'm only really cool with if she's simultaneously doing something bigger elsewhere. Like a solo, mini, well-promoted oneshot or leading a different team book while also working on X-Factor. This, alone, even if it turned out to be the best comic book ever written, would not be enough for me to start buying or engaging with Disney content again outside of things that do very well with Lorna.

Northstar fans shouldn't misread this as "I'm against Northstar being a team leader," cause that's of course not the case here. I'm supportive of him being one, but against Lorna getting demoted from team leader to team member with no other prospects, when her own run as a leader was effectively sabotaged, and especially after how Marvel's treated her these past few years (particularly in relation to Havok).

Though speaking of Havok, thankfully he's not here. At least yet.

All this to say we'll see how it plays out. I'm not confident. Marvel is still Marvel, and my opinion of them is nearly as low as Squeenix ("let's turn Aya Brea into an amnesiac little girl in a woman's body who lets people boss her around and sexually harass her while her clothes rip off because reasons, then never do anything to fix that mistake!") these days.

Now, back to my own Lorna work.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

"Polaris was the last variable and the hardest for me to wrap my head around. I tend to only feel comfortable writing characters I already love, but for the longest time Polaris honestly wasn’t someone I connected with that deeply. But she’s a legacy character, an actual X-Factor alumnus, and has so much character work that desperately needs doing; and I didn’t want to omit her just because I was afraid to tackle her story. So I ended up reaching out to two pals, Jess Hernandez and Allison Senecal, who are huge Lorna fans. I wanted to see her through their eyes—I needed to. I’m lucky that I do have friends I can randomly approach with questions like “Hey, would you mind telling me about why you love Polaris?” and they won’t get overly curious about why. (I’m sure they both knew why I was asking, but were too polite to say anything.) Allison helped me see Polaris and Havok’s relationship in a new light, and Jess just open-palm slammed Lorna right into heart. I am so much more protective of her now than I was before these conversations, and deeply appreciative to them both for giving me the right lens to look through. I texted Jordan about my mind changing immediately. She absolutely belongs with us.

"She’s not team leader, which may rub people the wrong way at first but it’s a decision she makes for story reasons, and I promise it’s because we’re just making sure she has the available bandwidth for so, so much more growth. After I turned in X-FACTOR #1’s script, Jordan realized it first: Northstar may be the team leader, but Polaris is the north star. For everything."
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=80569389

Leah on Polaris.

I really appreciate the consideration it seems she gave Polaris before deciding, and calling on people she trusted to shed some light. "...so, so much more growth" sounds exciting.

Allison helped me see Polaris and Havok’s relationship in a new light
    Oh, so it really is going to continue Marvel's trend of trying to force Havok onto her for the billionth time despite how she very clearly needs a good decade away from him getting her own stories and perspective told before any writers will understand how to not treat her like she only exists to be Havok's girlfriend.

Hard pass. Back to Lorna-centric work.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

I really appreciate the consideration it seems she gave Polaris before deciding, and calling on people she trusted to shed some light. "...so, so much more growth" sounds exciting.
    I'm glad that she's aware of the fact that Lorna does still need a lot more development. I also appreciate her addressing why Lorna isn't leading, and giving us an in-story reason as to why Polaris isn't the one calling the shots. Leah seemed to do some good character work in AOX, so hopefully she can do much of the same for Lorna in X-Factor.

I'm really excited!

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Oh, so it really is going to continue Marvel's trend of trying to force Havok onto her for the billionth time despite how she very clearly needs a good decade away from him getting her own stories and perspective told before any writers will understand how to not treat her like she only exists to be Havok's girlfriend.

Hard pass. Back to Lorna-centric work.
    Let's pretend Leah always thought Lorna/Alex was the best thing ever and Allison slapped a little sense into her.
    I thought the other parts of her comment about her were great.

I'm excited too, Soulsword323 ! It feels like a brand new day and the way we've seen so many characters be transformed and utilized better than before (Black Tom, Rictor, in my opinion, The Five) I'm very hopeful.
    Last edited by JB; 01-13-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Interesting on that cover we have the two guys up top, then the two women in middle and then the "youngsters" at bottom

Daken - wild card, brawler, sneaky

Northstar - super speed (Pietro proxy...?), arrogance ( I think? ), possible romance with Daken(?)

Rachel - team telepath, TK user, powerhouse, can assist in searching minds for the detective activities

Polaris - magneto daughter, em force controller, presumably dedicating to upholding krakoa at all costs, wonder if potential conflict depending on how their detective work goes. Like if they uncover things that might make Krakoa policies or higher ups seem suspect if she would deny/hide it etc.

EyeBoy - younger, surprisingly powerful and useful since Christina Strain developed him in Generation X recently. possibly comic relief figure. can also help them with detective sleuthing maybe he "sees" things about corpses or those who are about to die or missing part of memories/souls?

Prodigy - youngster, super memory, obviously good for detective work. should be the one to piece together any puzzles, could eventually lead the team into problems with krakoan higher ups/lorna

Those are my initial thoughts!

I think what Leah said is promising and as long as she writes Lorna 1) Powerful 2) Reasonably "militant", pro Krakoa. Then I'm good with this. Also it's nice she is on a team alongside Daken after just recently doing that in XMen BLUE. Magnetic fastball specials, maybe these two will have a weird camaraderie going.

The biggest question mark to me is Rachel not sure how she fits on this team and she is so ludicrously OP she may overshadow our gal. We'll see
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Glad she’s back in an ongoing (even better without Havok involvement)

Fantastic news! I just pray Polaris gets a new costume now.

Let's pretend Leah always thought Lorna/Alex was the best thing ever and Allison slapped a little sense into her.
    I thought the other parts of her comment about her were great.

I'm excited too, Soulsword323 ! It feels like a brand new day and the way we've seen so many characters be transformed and utilized better than before (Black Tom, Rictor, in my opinion, The Five) I'm very hopeful.
    It's typical Marvel trash. Say a bunch of stuff that sounds good on the face of it to trick people into thinking it'll be good for Lorna, but in reality completely undermine her. Same playbook, different day.

What Leah did was telegraph intent. The instant Havok got a namedrop was the instant they gave away the plan. Why bring him up if there's no plan in mind to force him into her stories for the billionth time? Out of all the things in Lorna's history that Leah could have talked about - possession by Malice, getting turned into Pestilence, surviving Genosha - why is "Lorna bang Havok" the one that gets brought up?

Hell, this book has Lorna and Rachel in the cast, who spent time together in space. Leah could've very easily talked about the opportunity this cast presents for her to explore female camaraderie between these two women who spent time in space together. Why bring up Havok but not that?

There's no reason to buy or read this book. It's not going to do anything for Lorna. It's just another in a long line of Marvel trying to pull fast ones on her fans. Better to save that money for companies that deserve it, or to commission good things of Lorna that Marvel will never make. I'm much happier spending my money on seeing things for Lorna that I actually want, instead of throwing my money at a company that clearly hates her.