Page 48 of 118 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Based on their time in space I see Lorna/Rachel as having more of an aunt/niece relationship. Main reason I am against any kind of sexual encounter with them. I'm for Lorna playing and exploring but I do not want to see her paired with any one person.
    IMG_5608.jpg
    https://instagram.com/christopherfok...d=59gt5f0r5hdg
    Last edited by AZPolaris; 05-04-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPolaris View Post
    Based on their time in space I see Lorna/Rachel as having more of an aunt/niece relationship. Main reason I am against any kind of sexual encounter with them. I'm for Lorna playing and exploring but I do not want to see her paired with any one person.
    Why would they have an aunt/niece relationship? They are super close in age. They are peers and Lorna being like an aunt to her unnecessarily ages her. Thats not the dynamic I see the having.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why would they have an aunt/niece relationship?
    Especially since Lorna hasn't been with Havok in years. They will probably joke about how they're "alllllmost related" and then laugh and laugh and laugh and sigh.

Extraordinary Member

Whether it’s an aunt/niece relationship or not, I think it’s great Lorna has a female friend.

Claremeont, King of writing female mutant friendships, never gave her one.

Rahne, who served with her on x-factor for a long time, saw her as a rival and she’s closer to her peers in the new mutants generation anyway.

They tried giving Lorna some bonds with Jean and Rogue, but they have way closer bonds to other x-women,
    Last edited by Will Evans; 05-04-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Friends for Lorna, ie gals with problematic dads

Rachel Summers
    Laura Kinney
    Carmella Unuscione
    The Ladies Mastermind
    Lady Deathstrike

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

Rachel Summers
    Laura Kinney
    Carmella Unuscione
    The Ladies Mastermind
    Lady Deathstrike
    Add Hope to that list. Maybe Xandra as well.

When’s the last time Uniscione got any love?

I guess Terry doesn’t have a problematic dad. Sean’s okay.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 05-04-2020 at 10:37 AM.

I guess Terry doesn’t have a problematic dad. Sean’s okay.
    Maybe... depends on who she considers "Dad". Black Tom is a bastard, and he sorta raised her. Good call, Will.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

When’s the last Uniscione got any love?
    Not since Bunn's Magneto. -_-

She showed up on the island in that villains issue.

Whether it’s an aunt/niece relationship or not, I think it’s great Lorna has a female friend.

Rahne, who served with her on x-factor with her long time, saw her and a rival as she’s closer to her peers in the new mutants generation anyway.

They tried giving Lorna some bonds with Jean and Rogue, but they have way closer bonds to other x-women,
    Rahne and Lorna's frenemyship is SO bizarre to me...its almost like every single female friendship stereotype was woven in . Undercurrents of jealousy, but they have to be friends because they're the only girls (besides Val, too chilly girlfriends of course), there's a certain distance between them because of the age difference, but Rahne looks up to Lorna and Lorna wants to be looked up to .... they're playing "mother/daughter" , "sworn competitors" and "confidantes" all at once in a strange jumble that never gets quite enough development to make sense. I wonder what terms they'd be on today. If any writer chances to team them up again, which I kind of doubt

Lorna needs more friends who are just that - I want to see her developing friendships, partnerships, working relationships. Its so sad to see her refer to Jean as a best friend, or even really as a friend at all, when in-canon Jean doesn't feel the same way and on a meta level they haven't been given a conversation in .. years? Decades? I like her and Rachel as friends simply because she doesn't seem to have any - or at least isn't given chances by the powers that be to talk with them, just hang out or go on missions together . Pipe-dream pairings aside I think what's most important for her character to establish her "life", inwardly and outwardly , before another romantic relationship

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

Rachel Summers
    Laura Kinney
    Carmella Unuscione
    The Ladies Mastermind
    Lady Deathstrike
    this is interesting to me because I feel like Lorna often gets paired up with the "good girls" (used loosely) - The Rachels and Jeans, even Rogues, not without their tragedies and angsts but overcoming them (usually, on a good day) thru the Divine Purity of Heroism...

how would she play off of someone truly unhinged, like a Deathstrike or a Lady Mastermind? Would she sink into the patterns of Austen Lorna, the impulsive oddball who makes everyone uncomfortable (much to the reader's delight) ? Or would she feel obligated to a certain moral highground, the Ice Princess, daughter of a Mutant King- she's friends with Jean, you know....purveyors of terror are so not her scene . Would she take another route entirely?

If anything, her uneven characterization makes this even more fun to ponder lol
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 05-04-2020 at 10:35 AM.

anybody know if the TV show with Lorna will ever get a blu ray release or streaming?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    Rahne and Lorna's frenemyship is SO bizarre to me...its almost like every single female friendship stereotype was woven in . Undercurrents of jealousy, but they have to be friends because they're the only girls (besides Val, too chilly girlfriends of course), there's a certain distance between them because of the age difference, but Rahne looks up to Lorna and Lorna wants to be looked up to .... they're playing "mother/daughter" , "sworn competitors" and "confidantes" all at once in a strange jumble that never gets quite enough development to make sense. I wonder what terms they'd be on today. If any writer chances to team them up again, which I kind of doubt

Lorna needs more friends who are just that - I want to see her developing friendships, partnerships, working relationships. Its so sad to see her refer to Jean as a best friend, or even really as a friend at all, when in-canon Jean doesn't feel the same way and on a meta level they haven't been given a conversation in .. years? Decades? I like her and Rachel as friends simply because she doesn't seem to have any - or at least isn't given chances by the powers that be to talk with them, just hang out or go on missions together . Pipe-dream pairings aside I think what's most important for her character to establish her "life", inwardly and outwardly , before another romantic relationship

this is interesting to me because I feel like Lorna often gets paired up with the "good girls" (used loosely) - The Rachels and Jeans, even Rogues, not without their tragedies and angsts but overcoming them (usually, on a good day) thru the Divine Purity of Heroism...

how would she play off of someone truly unhinged, like a Deathstrike or a Lady Mastermind? Would she sink into the patterns of Austen Lorna, the impulsive oddball who makes everyone uncomfortable (much to the reader's delight) ? Or would she feel obligated to a certain moral highground, the Ice Princess, daughter of a Mutant King- she's friends with Jean, you know....purveyors of terror are so not her scene . Would she take another route entirely?

If anything, her uneven characterization makes this even more fun to ponder lol
    To your first few paragraphs, that’s exactly why I like her friendship with Rachel. So at least one good thing came out of the space adventure.

To your last paragraphs.....well, she was teammates with Mystique for a while. If you’re looking at how she would bounce off of bad girls.

Claremeont, King of writing female mutant friendships, never gave her one
    Claremont also wrote Lorna the most unambiguously heterosexual female character one could ever imagine while he wrote most of his x-women bi-curious.

I can at least buy Austen's Lorna's swinging both ways. Though being her being fully gay is a bridge way too far even based on modern Lorna after her rebirth in the ruins of Genosha.

Lorna spent a half decade with Rachel in space in close quarters with her and AZPolaris is right Brubaker had Lorna act like Rachel's surrogate aunt/mom figure. There is a reason why I complain about Lorna being the team mom as she was depicted on most X-Factor runs and in space. She doesn't develop lasting friendships when depicted as the team mother hen. Bru did write Lorna as Jean's first best friend at least from Lorna's prospective, but it is sad because its just from Lorna's prospective.

For me though unlike AZ its not a deal breaker for a friends with benefits situation.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post

Lorna saved her from the Sentinels on Blue.

Frankly this gets to the point of what I stated two pages ago until you establish what Lorna is for as in what she fights for you don't have relationships outside whatever title Lorna is in that writers are interested in writing. Lorna unlike Claremont's x-women needs built in drama/conflict attached when she walks in the room with Jean or other major x-characters or her dead relationships with them will stay that way.

1. Establish Lorna's worldview and what she fights for and believes in that would make her interesting for writers to have interact with her contemporaries.
    2. Build actual friendships.
    3. Then actual romance building.

In terms of having sex without love... call me a 1960s kind of person and I would support her being friends with benefits with a wide range of people. 1960s Lorna was that kind of character and Austen's Lorna was as well. But, certainly the one in-between those two eras would never have sex with a woman and probably would never have sex with a man not named Alex Summers even if he was married to someone else.

There is a reason why I want Lorna to be philosophically complex. Its because that lends itself to built in character drama between her and other x-characters that writers can see and want to take advantage of.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-04-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post

She was in X-men Blue, where she was repowered via Mothervine and later rejoined the Acolytes

Extraordinary Member

Just have Lorna get with Legion, then watch everyone freak out (both in universe characters and the fandom).

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Claremont also wrote Lorna the most unambiguously heterosexual female character one could ever imagine while he wrote most of his x-women bi-curious.
    loll Claremont said I guess the hets deserve representation too
    It's funny how I see her so differently from how she was initially established, and it seems like most other fans do too
    I wonder what it is about her that appeals to LGBTQ+ sensibilities...the warrior sorceress aesthetic? The hyper-hereosexuality that developed into intense co-dependence? The fraught family history? The flip-flopping between Damaged Swan and Maniacal Oddball tropes? Do we just looove an underdog? Probably all of the above and then some

Just have Lorna get with Legion, then watch everyone freak out (both in universe characters and the fandom).
    wait wait wait stop the track...the children of M and X, both w/ histories of "unbalancement" .... there's something here and I cant tell if its exciting or laden w/ negative stereotypes. I think it depends on how its written
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 05-04-2020 at 11:03 AM.