Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Updated dates.

A week after Magneto Giant Sized comes out Empyre X-Men will start on July 22nd. X-Factor 1 and X-Men 10 start on July 29th. It looks like Empyre is running on a tightened schedule so we will probably get Empyre X-Men #2 in early August.

Lorna's character had the obvious roles on the x-books pulled out from under her in the mid 2000s. She had in too many pitch hitter roles that didn’t connect to any larger idea/role which led to character incoherence. That has been an issue Mystique has had as well.

They are finally digging to her past and hopefully perhaps rebuild a central guiding 'north star' for the character that she can build a clear point of view fans understand as do writers and can take advantage of in the future.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-19-2020 at 10:51 AM.

I've noticed a trend of Marvel doing things with her in Fall months.

October 1968: introduced in X-Men #49 (according to wikia; other people and places have said other dates)
    August - November 2011: X-Men Legacy #254-260 (Five Miles South of the Universe, time with her father Magneto, return to Earth)
    September 2012: origin story in X-Factor #243
    August 2013: time with her brother Pietro in X-Factor #260
    September 2014: time with her sister Wanda in All-New X-Factor #14
    August - October 2015: Secret Wars House of M
    August 2017: X-Men Blue #9
    November 2018: Uncanny X-Men #1 and subsequent issues

Two things you can view as not fitting this pattern are All-New X-Factor itself launching in January, and Prisoner of X happening some time in spring last year. I list all of these without comment to value or treatment of Lorna in them.

I don't think this is a deliberate plan. I think it's another of many subconscious processes in how Marvel operates. It's a familiar pattern, and Marvel likes familiar patterns, so it's just automatic to go with what's familiar.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Empyre X-Men will be one of Lorna's few collaborative stories in recent decades. The Genosha era was a collaborative story in itself. But, they didn't really work things out between writers before hand and it became iconic more for reasons after the story then during it. During the story there wasn't a standardization so there was a real oscillation in what her goals were there.

There was even more of an oscillation in Lorna's base personality and characterization in the course of her half decade space arc. Really every version of Lorna in her history showed up at one point or the other from Claremontian Lorna to early 90s Lorna to warrior Lorna to Austen era Lorna. The problem was it was five years of storytelling and many writers and editors to come up with one collaborate story. Genosha was over two years of existing and three years of its fallout.

The positive of having virtually every x-writer having a hand in Empyre X-Men is that the oscillation in personality and depiction probably won't be nearly as much from one issue to another, especially with Genosha and the events in the background. It also has the benefit of having a more standard line wide understanding of the character and will pay dividends from X-Factor to X-Men and Marauders if it succeeds.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-19-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

October 1968: introduced in X-Men #49 (according to wikia; other people and places have said other dates)
    August - November 2011: X-Men Legacy #254-260 (Five Miles South of the Universe, time with her father Magneto, return to Earth)

Two things you can view as not fitting this pattern are All-New X-Factor itself launching in January, and Prisoner of X happening some time in spring last year. I list all of these without comment to value or treatment of Lorna in them.

I don't think this is a deliberate plan. I think it's another of many subconscious processes in how Marvel operates. It's a familiar pattern, and Marvel likes familiar patterns, so it's just automatic to go with what's familiar.
    Hmmmmn. Very interesting!

Well, August will be here in less than 3 months, so we will see if that trend continues....

Purely concidence as Im sure someone can pull up a list with just as many things for the other 3 seasons over the course of her 50+ year history

July looks like a good month for our girl....suffice to say fingers and toes are crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Purely concidence as Im sure someone can pull up a list with just as many things for the other 3 seasons over the course of her 50+ year history
    Pre-2011, I think you could be right about finding as many things for the other 3 seasons. Fifty years is a long span of time. But I don't think 2011 and after is a coincidence. I think it's a matter of habit, how Marvel plans their storylines and activities, and where Lorna falls within those habits.

I'm also not saying anyone should expect Marvel to regularly have Lorna in comics during the Fall each year - especially now that I've pointed out the pattern. You can see gaps for 2016 and 2019 for example.

I brought up October 1968 not just because I know it, but also because it would be neat if there was an anniversary element in play. As long as it served as a sort of tribute rather than an excuse to act like she has no value during the rest of the year, of course.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Pre-2011, I think you could be right about finding as many things for the other 3 seasons. Fifty years is a long span of time. But I don't think 2011 and after is a coincidence. I think it's a matter of habit, how Marvel plans their storylines and activities, and where Lorna falls within those habits.

I'm also not saying anyone should expect Marvel to regularly have Lorna in comics during the Fall each year - especially now that I've pointed out the pattern. You can see gaps for 2016 and 2019 for example.

I brought up October 1968 not just because I know it, but also because it would be neat if there was an anniversary element in play. As long as it served as a sort of tribute rather than an excuse to act like she has no value during the rest of the year, of course.
    Jan 2012 - Rejoins X-Factor [230]
    Jan 2014: ANX-Factor #1 ; becomes leader
    May- July 2015 - appears in Magneto 18-20
    April 2018: X-men Blue 25 ; leads X-men team
    March - July 2019: Prisoner X
    originally April 2020: X-factor #1, first regular series in Dawn of X
    originally May 2020: Empyre

I do beleive there's enough significant moments in the other months in recent years. You just have to look for it

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Jan 2012 - Rejoins X-Factor [230]
    Jan 2014: ANX-Factor #1 ; becomes leader
    May- July 2015 - appears in Magneto 18-20
    April 2018: X-men Blue 25 ; leads X-men team
    March - July 2019: Prisoner X
    originally April 2020: X-factor #1, first regular series in Dawn of X
    originally May 2020: Empyre

I do beleive there's enough significant moments in the other months in recent years. You just have to look for it
    With the exceptions of ANXF #1 and Empyre (assuming it will acknowledge Lorna's history with Genosha), I don't think any of those listed rise to the level of significance of the cases I highlighted. Rekindling multiple family relationships and taking part in a major X-Men event after a decade without them, or finally having her origin story told after 43 years, is rungs down from serving as a fill-in leader for one story arc a few years after leading her own team, or being repeatedly put on the same book title Marvel keeps putting her on because of internal 90s nostalgia.

I don't think I should've mentioned Prisoner X before. I only included it due to how others feel, and I thought doing so was trying to be impartial despite my thinking it didn't do anything significant with or for Lorna (it's not like she led the book and it synergized with Gifted; she was just a supporting character). I didn't mention X-Men #1 in October 2019 or House of X #5 in September 2019 either, after all.

At this point I think this will just turn into a discussion of intent, semantics and scope based on differing definitions we have, so I think it's best if I just leave it at this post for the thread to move on.

With the exceptions of ANXF #1 and Empyre (assuming it will acknowledge Lorna's history with Genosha), I don't think any of those listed rise to the level of significance of the cases I highlighted. Rekindling multiple family relationships and taking part in a major X-Men event after a decade without them, or finally having her origin story told after 43 years, is rungs down from serving as a fill-in leader for one story arc a few years after leading her own team, or being repeatedly put on the same book title Marvel keeps putting her on because of internal 90s nostalgia.

I don't think I should've mentioned Prisoner X before. I only included it due to how others feel, and I thought doing so was trying to be impartial despite my thinking it didn't do anything significant with or for Lorna (it's not like she led the book and it synergized with Gifted; she was just a supporting character). I didn't mention X-Men #1 in October 2019 or House of X #5 in September 2019 either, after all.

At this point I think this will just turn into a discussion of intent, semantics and scope based on differing definitions we have, so I think it's best if I just leave it at this post for the thread to move on.
    Then why count Secret Wars which was AR and noncanon? Rejoining PAD's X-Factor was significant bc she had spent years in limbo and this was her first ongoing since Brubaker's run. Her appearance in Magneto is rekindling a family relationship, just like the Maximoff twins example you posted. Leading X-men Blue is significant bc its her most high profile role in an actual X-men title and should not be discredited. She got a small push in an era where female leaders were celebrated

CBR has done a list of Acolytes today. A bit more who is important to the current status quo on Krakoa then 'levels of power', but what else is new.

Also, Solicits for August both XF and Empyre.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...in-august-2020

No Lorna on the new August Empyre covers, but I still have hope the series could help reset things for the character. I don't think House of X/Dawn of X Lorna was exactly a fully formed thought in regard to Lorna. Just some scattered ideas about her waiting to be fully formed. Its this Summer and Fall they might start to coalesce and gel.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-21-2020 at 06:35 PM.

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/05/11/x-...mpression=true
    Bringing it back to television, could you talk a bit about the work you did for the cast of The Gifted?

Peter: I was at San Diego Comic-Con and Matt Nix and Derek Hoffman came by my table and asked how much I charge for commissions. They found me, saw my X-Men stuff, bought a bunch of it and asked me to come out to Georgia. I timed it with Dragon Con, so Dragon Con flew me out and I got to spend a good five or six days on set and that was my first set experience ever. But basically, what I did for them was each established actor at the end of season one got a wrap gift, and they all got an image that was their character’s comic book version and their TV version merged together–like a half and half. That’s what the producer wanted–what their characters would look like in the books.

The really cool thing was some of the actors were not main cast members and then Jamie Chung, who plays Blink, she private messaged me and ordered other commissions to give to the other actors. So she got a gift herself and then ordered others so that was really sweet. I spent 12 hours a day on set. A stand-out memory was eating lunch–all the directors were at one table, all the actors were at another table. I sat down at an empty table and Jamie left the actors and sat at my table and talked to me about Blink. I’m like, oh my God, this is my moment to splurt out all the useless information I know about Blink. She was like, “I just play her perky, is that OK?” I kind of froze because it’s not the only Blink. This is a happier Blink than the AOA Blink.

While there, I sketched all day and learned so much. I really appreciate Derek having me out there. Emma Dumont, who played Polaris, is super cool too. We went out at Dragon Con. She was so nice and loves the character. She knows Polaris inside out–she’s a huge fan, you could really tell. All my experiences have been X-Men-related but they’ve all been very valuable to me. I’m a huge fan but super lucky I get to be around such creative, smart people.

AIPT: What an amazing opportunity. (Readers, here’s a photo Peter provided from him visiting The Gifted’s take on the Morlock tunnels).
    Last edited by juan678; 05-23-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Last edited by juan678; 05-23-2020 at 02:57 AM.

aw that's such a sweet story. I've heard so many nice things about the gifted cast .. maybe one day I'll actually watch it lol
    Nguyen draws a mean Lorna..I'd love to see him guest on X-Factor . Or anywhere considering that sprawling group ****. just gorg