Page 66 of 118 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Danger's an interesting situation in general. I remember Peter David saying he thought Danger would be the break-out character of ANXF. I got the impression from Blue that Bunn wanted to continue linking Lorna and Danger in stories.

In Peter David's case, it got off to a bad start with Lorna written as something of a "dumb rage monster" who didn't want Danger on the team she was leading but somehow couldn't do anything about it when Gambit recruited her. Those were the issues I always say should be skipped. Peter David got better about his treatment of Lorna by the time of that page in ANXF #14.

Anyway Lorna could mold Danger into a sex toy.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

In related news, here's one new piece of art by Ryan Benjamin.

There were also a couple polls with interesting results.

One, Lorna won against Namor.

Two, and I had no idea this was happening until now, Lorna was apparently voted #31 among Marvel best female characters.

Neither of these really means "this character is actually better than this character." It only means among the people who voted, here's the results. For example, if I had known and voted in the second one, Lorna would've been voted #29 and placed above Sue Storm and Mystique (both of them were tied with her at 28 votes). But while we can't say the results reflect preferences of one character vs another, I think we can say it shows there's plenty of interest in her. She got around 88 votes in the Namor poll out of 128 people, and got on a list of favorite female Marvel characters (and not way at the bottom, either) among people who voted in that poll.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    In related news, here's one new piece of art by Ryan Benjamin.

She's oozing with power and I am living for it!
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

New X-Factor line up picture by David Baldeon
    https://twitter.com/david_baldeon/st...29670505762817
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post

Thanks, nandes. I am starting to think based on the art we have seen so far we might not see much Lorna in the main battle on Genosha until perhaps issues 3 and 4. Though she might be doing something on the side before that. The last shoe to drop is the variant cover to Empyre #4 by Salvador Larroca who drew Lorna in UXM 442-443.

Looking back on her Genosha arc it the first part of the arc was solid, the middle was uneven at best for her and the last part was excellent. The first part would have been Alan Davis' run broadly ending with X-Men 380/New X-Men 99. The second Dark Seduction through Eve of Destruction. And, the last part was New X-Men 132 thru Uncanny X-Men 443. The middle part of the story was the weakest in part because it was bouncing around between a lot of writers without a coherent idea even for what she was doing there and why.

After Decimation the event was left as an irrelevant factoid in her history to the characters detriment as it was really something that helped fans understand her and empathize with her and it spiced up her relationship with other characters. How Empyre X-Men ties it together for her will be interesting to see.

Future Fight asked for community feedback a while back and look who are the two most requested X-men characters

Thats awesome. That gives me more hope that she will finally be added in a future X-men update. We are due one soon and I dont expect her there as it takes months for the devs to actually create this stuff but hopefully she will be in one thats 2 mutant updates away

Ultimate Member

It surprises me that Alex is that high given how poorly Marvel has treated him lately, maybe it's mostly his powers and such...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    It surprises me that Alex is that high given how poorly Marvel has treated him lately, maybe it's mostly his powers and such...
    They've already added most of the major heroes. Havok and Lorna are arguably the most well known characters still not in the game. Outside of them, they'll need to start adding more of the younger generation like New Mutants and Gen X bc the vet X-men are well represented

Thanks for posting.

On the one hand, it's good to see Lorna in the top 5. It demonstrates to an extent the level of interest in her, similar to how she went without a new figurine for over a decade before a Marvel Legends one was made and the host who announced it at a con said "You can finally take her off your top 10 most wanted lists."

On the other hand, knowing Marvel, I'm sure Havok higher in votes will result in a) Lorna being bundled with him when she shouldn't be, and b) Marvel trying to force Havok on her even harder. Though realistically, if Lorna was higher than him that would also be true; only difference really is what excuse Marvel would have for doing it. Lorna below Havok, excuse is pretty much "people must see her as a supporting character for him so let's treat her more like one." Lorna above Havok, excuse is "people must not recognize his worth, we should use Lorna to make them more aware."

Within all this, I do like asking questions for possible answers and pointing out the unobservable.

I wonder how this feedback went down. Was it the company reading everyone's posts and tallying who they listed? Was it a poll, multiple choice or write-in? If it was a poll, were there limits on who and how many could be voted for?

Aside from that, results are limited anyway. For one, the voters are largely whoever's already playing Future Fight or deeply invested in it. It's more or less like stationing the census in a park, shouting for everyone nearby to do it, and stopping there. You're missing everyone outside the park. For another, this poll comes after at least a month of relative quiet from people on Twitter who used to say they wanted Lorna in Future Fight all the time. I used to see those tweets nearly every time I ran a search. Now they show up about once per week. That doesn't mean those people lost interest; rather, I think those people figured Future Fight was never going to listen to them and stopped asking and bothering with Future Fight.

We'll see what happens. Frankly, the game's been out since 2015 and Lorna should've been added years ago. More specifically, she should've been added in 2017 or 2018 when she broke out on Gifted. Not gonna say "I'll play Future Fight if Lorna gets added" because whether or not I do is heavily dependent on how she's introduced and treated by the game, and I've got Granblue Fantasy I'm playing the hell out of already (not to mention Ys: Memories of Celceta and a big backlog of console and PC games).

Its been a situation similar to the Marvel Heroes MMO for the past year or two where Lorna is on the short list of characters not taken up, but not crossing the bar enough to get a full effort behind it from the company. Given Rachel has already made in into Marvel Future Fight I do think Lorna's number will come up in the next year or two, but there are alot of games out there and she is very much behind where she should be.

In terms of getting into games I still think Lorna needs momentum behind the character as we have seen quite a few games be more more willing to recycle A and B list character designs and come up with brand new characters rather then get to ones like Lorna even when she is the last few characters they hadn't got to from the top of the perceived C list.

If that turns around will be heavily up to what Hickman and Leah do with her this Summer and Fall. I do have some hope that it might build some momentum behind her in the comics which might translate to games if we get the first around exciting, driven, liberated, and provocative depictions of Lorna since the Austen era. But, hope isn't facts... the next few months will tell the story.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-07-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Thanks for posting.

On the one hand, it's good to see Lorna in the top 5. It demonstrates to an extent the level of interest in her, similar to how she went without a new figurine for over a decade before a Marvel Legends one was made and the host who announced it at a con said "You can finally take her off your top 10 most wanted lists."

On the other hand, knowing Marvel, I'm sure Havok higher in votes will result in a) Lorna being bundled with him when she shouldn't be, and b) Marvel trying to force Havok on her even harder. Though realistically, if Lorna was higher than him that would also be true; only difference really is what excuse Marvel would have for doing it. Lorna below Havok, excuse is pretty much "people must see her as a supporting character for him so let's treat her more like one." Lorna above Havok, excuse is "people must not recognize his worth, we should use Lorna to make them more aware."

Within all this, I do like asking questions for possible answers and pointing out the unobservable.

I wonder how this feedback went down. Was it the company reading everyone's posts and tallying who they listed? Was it a poll, multiple choice or write-in? If it was a poll, were there limits on who and how many could be voted for?

Aside from that, results are limited anyway. For one, the voters are largely whoever's already playing Future Fight or deeply invested in it. It's more or less like stationing the census in a park, shouting for everyone nearby to do it, and stopping there. You're missing everyone outside the park. For another, this poll comes after at least a month of relative quiet from people on Twitter who used to say they wanted Lorna in Future Fight all the time. I used to see those tweets nearly every time I ran a search. Now they show up about once per week. That doesn't mean those people lost interest; rather, I think those people figured Future Fight was never going to listen to them and stopped asking and bothering with Future Fight.

We'll see what happens. Frankly, the game's been out since 2015 and Lorna should've been added years ago. More specifically, she should've been added in 2017 or 2018 when she broke out on Gifted. Not gonna say "I'll play Future Fight if Lorna gets added" because whether or not I do is heavily dependent on how she's introduced and treated by the game, and I've got Granblue Fantasy I'm playing the hell out of already (not to mention Ys: Memories of Celceta and a big backlog of console and PC games).
    All characters added are part of a bundled update and yeah Lorna would make sense with Havok given their history. That wouldnt be egregious

The feedback was a write in. I believe I voted for Lorna myself. They know there is interest there with both characters and people are likely to buy them so hopefully this is a good sign. They may make Havok a premium that you must pay for since he was more requested and Lorna be a freebie

There is a burn out issue in regard to those backing Lorna in games. The lack of success at her appearing in anything after years of fan pushing creates a defeatist cycle. Success builds on success and the same can be said of defeat.

Generally I have long felt Lorna fans backing her in games should pick one iconic or semi iconic team that she has been in to back her appearing and negate the C list character on unimportant teams vibe that game makers give off in their view on the character.

A little off topic, the idea of one character being "you have to pay for them" reminds me of Capcom with Mega Man Legends 3. At the time, Capcom had announced multiple Mega Man games (seemingly to try to keep Inafune there), and after he left, they abruptly canceled the other two. But with MML3, a common fan request, Capcom first floated the idea of a "paid demo" with the excuse that it would show how much interest there was in a full game. This was back around 2010 when DLC was really just starting. There was backlash, and the company responded by canceling the game, claiming there "wasn't enough fan interest."

I don't know if it's at all relevant here, but it felt like something I should share. It's the sort of corporate behavior I've become very familiar with. Not that Future Fight making certain characters ones you have to pay for is necessarily wrong; I've played several games (Blazblue, Neptunia, etc) where extra characters are paid DLC. But it's reminiscent.

I still wish the Days of Future Past mobile game had made it onto Steam or PS4. It was pretty much the only mobile game I played at the time, but for me it didn't play well on the phone and would've been better with normal game controls, which I think hurt it.

But back to Future Fight, I think Lorna should be added first and Havok later, even if "later" means a day or week later with separate marketing. Five years ago I wouldn't have minded the two of them released in the same bulk package, but Lorna in limbo for two years followed by Marvel trying to exploit her to promote Havok and otherwise treating her like she's nearly worthless has really soured me to any case where they're paired or Havok comes first. Future Fight could do with putting Lorna out first this time (if they do release her) both to offset Marvel's behavior these past few years and because Lorna was created before him.

I do know a lot of mobile games operate with bulk updates where content including characters are packed together. That's more of an operations decision on their part though, than an actual need. Granblue Fantasy has no problem releasing one set of characters and then releasing a new set a week later (they just did it at the end of June).

Edit: On the matter of Lorna fandom, I mentioned on Twitter last night that I don't get disagreement these days when I say Lorna deserves better from Marvel. I used to get at least a little. I take the lack of it as proof that what I'm saying is accurate. Marvel's not done enough for her, and they've gotten worse.
    Last edited by salarta; 07-07-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Future Fight has done more mid month updates in recent months, where the bulk of the content drops at the start of the month and we get a smaller drop mid month. Thats unlikely to happen with Lorna and Alex though as they always release new characters together and the second drop tends to be uniforms and/or T3s.

I could see another HoX update, but I think they would do one based around a book like Maraurders first considering many of those characters are already in the game and can get uniform updates with the likes of Sebastian Shaw and Pyro being the new characters
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-07-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Happy to see people requesting Polaris for Future Fight. Hopefully she'll be added soon.