Page 68 of 108 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1614
  1. #1006
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    4,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    God, Wanda's early costume was ugly too. They really didnt know how to design good looks for women, especially if youn consider Jean's MG costume
    IKR!? I thought it was just me.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Krakoa, FOREVER!!!

  2. #1007
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,760

    Default

    In terms of Genosha that was brought up last page there are four roads that I see in the middle of her current path from what she will be doing on Krakoa in helping the resurrection process.

    1. Backing Krakoa zealously

    Positive: Her being more willing to break the rules even of those of the council to make the project work could create something to talk about between her and other characters and allow her to stand out and its workable given will be in the weeds of saving lives and restoring the Genoshan population.

    Negative: Many characters including most long time X-Men back Krakoa zealously so she would have to willing to be more extreme about it then some might like to stand out.

    2. The questioner and skeptic

    Positive: It lets her be on the winning side whatever that winning side happens to be down the line and she ends up not being hated by either the fans for or against Krakoa.

    Negative: At the end of the day Lorna as the skeptic or the generic voice of reason shot her character in the foot in quite a few runs given she doesn't stand out nor has anything really captivating to say about things which makes people think. She ends up in the mushy middle of debates which is fine if you are a highly popular character with a solid position like Jean, but not so fine if you are a character who fell through the cracks like Lorna.

    3. Isolationism is not enough aka if we sit on their ass and don't get involved outside of our island we will be wiped out in time.

    Positive: This is essentially an argument that allows her stand out from her father as well as her X-Men contemporaries. It would give her a different prospective and a great deal to talk about on Krakoa and for years to come. It could also be tied into her seeing the oppression of mutants outside of Krakoa.

    Negative: Its likely that if they go this route they won't pull the trigger fully until there is some big event that causes a crisis within the mutants. Marvel also is pretty strong on the idea Lorna needs to be a step or two more moderate then wherever Magneto is at a given moment so it would take a different mind set towards the character then the norm to make it a reality.

    4. A return to old line Xavierism aka mutants and humans should live together in harmony.

    Positive: It lets her step out from where the X-Men are now for at least a brief period.

    Negative: Lorna ends up fully being seen as the contrarian as in the woman who will take the opposite position from whatever the current status quo is. Fans who don't care about her now are not likely to care about her after and some willing to defend her now will be less likely to after.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-09-2020 at 08:06 AM.

  3. #1008
    Mighty Member houndsofluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    The X-Factor preview suggests the group is formed out of support for the idea of Krakoa but frustration w/ how certain processes are run, so my guess would be she'll fall in somewhere between 2 and 3, maybe with leanings towards 1 in that she doesn't not support krakoa . Gonna be interesting to see how she's approached to join such a group as, essentially, the daughter of a God and how she figures into its mission

  4. #1009
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    The X-Factor preview suggests the group is formed out of support for the idea of Krakoa but frustration w/ how certain processes are run, so my guess would be she'll fall in somewhere between 2 and 3, maybe with leanings towards 1 in that she doesn't not support krakoa . Gonna be interesting to see how she's approached to join such a group as, essentially, the daughter of a God and how she figures into its mission
    I do think by the end of September we will have a feel for both where Lorna is now and where her story might be heading. What Lorna needs is an option that works with her history and lets her stand out in her current title and outside it.

    Also.

    Last edited by jmc247; 07-09-2020 at 12:46 PM.

  5. #1010

    Default

    My Polaris x Jean commission from Fosslis (see current avatar as I'm writing this post) got a huge boost of interest on Tumblr over the past 2 days. 12 new reblogs, 50 new likes. I normally don't tout these things, but that response is bigger than typical in a short time frame 6 months after initial posting.

    As for Lorna's philosophy with Krakoa, there are many ideas with great potential but the writing absolutely ruins it, and likewise many ideas that sound horrible but the writing can do amazing things you wouldn't expect. Past experience and history are key indicators of most likely scenarios, of most appropriate scenarios, and of risks.

    Sometimes, the risk is too high to be open to a certain scenario. Even in a hypothetical of one writer doing amazing with it, past actions by past writers or the company may indicate that there's too much risk of future writers doing it all wrong (typically sooner rather than later).

    Other times, potential outweighs the risks. It's important to consider factors like, when was the last time this scenario was done badly? How often, or how long, was it done badly? Was the context significantly different to now, or is it very much the same? And if it's done badly, just how "bad" is it, really? Is it going to completely murder everything about a character if it's done wrong? Is it going to be a tiny, temporary blip?

    Finally, willingness to change on the part of creator/company, or willingness to push for change on the part of consumer/fan, is an important factor. An idea that's handled horribly in the beginning can become great with one or both. Sometimes all it takes is proper adjustment. This is how many TV shows work. The first season or two might be godawful, then the later seasons turn out awesome thanks to adjustments from feedback. This is something comics could very easily do if willing due to the serial nature of comics. It does require the creator/company to want to improve, which may not always be the case. Sometimes because they believe they're doing things right even if they're wrong, other times because they don't care enough about what they're doing to put in any real effort.

    An important part of that last point is, how things are at one point doesn't have to be permanent. People change, and characters can too.

    Unfortunately, Marvel culture has a lot of trouble with the idea of reassessing themselves, their ideas, and their assumptions. They like to do things that have been done countless times before but with tiny tweaks to make it appear bigger than it really is, and then never really rethink anything, especially if it's a character they don't respect enough to give even a first thought let alone a second thought. This problem has become very pronounced for Lorna as all the comments I've seen out of Marvel these past few years are quick to avoid spending any time on direct, personal research and critical thinking into her. One person insists there's not enough fan interest in her cause they don't get spammed with tweets about her, without ever spending even five minutes to run some searches on social media. Another person asks one or two people they know what they think and apparently stops there, only bringing up the Lorna x Havok shipping because "dates Havok" is the first and often only thing known about her if not digging any deeper.

    If I were to make a comparison, Marvel operates in the same fashion as if Final Fantasy stuck to the exact same formula as the very first NES game, with only some graphics changes and minor twists like "Matoya is now the bad guy" touted as revolutionary thinking. None of the later games would ever get made, certainly not FF7.

    So, there's a divergence here. One area of consideration is what's possible with Marvel willing to do anything meaningful, and really think about Lorna. Another area of consideration is what's the safest place for Lorna with a Marvel that refuses to improve. I tend to go the route that I think would be best if Marvel decided that they wanted to do something truly new and progressive instead of only pretending they are. I think Marvel pursuing true progress is the only scenario where Marvel is in the mindset to take a genuine look at Lorna and treat her appropriately.



    As for the video, for the sake of civility and because he's just a random tuber, I'm going to refrain from saying the full extent of what I think of his response. What I will say is that his attitude is wrong. Not his opinion. People are free to like or not like whoever and whatever they want. His attitude. When presented with a sign of other people liking her, his first response is to act like everyone's wrong for liking her because it flies in the face of his low opinion of her. It's an old hat "nobody's fandom matters but mine" attitude that helps no one, and it's the sort of thinking Marvel needs to move away from (not just for Lorna, but in general).

    That said, looking through his comments, I see a lot of people pointing out how wrong he is. One person pointed out Lorna's been requested a lot on the game's forum, meaning this tuber must not be on it. Another person reminded him that the show he somehow can't remember the name of is Gifted. And that Sunspot isn't on it, contrary to what he thought. Though his trying to say Lorna shouldn't be on the list cause Sunspot isn't, isn't lost on me.
    Last edited by salarta; 07-09-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  6. #1011
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,760

    Default

    If her Genosha history is kept in mind for her time on Krakoa then yes there is an enormous number of things that can be done and work well, if not at best it will be another forgettable run and at worst another airplane crash. Not a good day coming on the heels of learning Lorna won't be in Empyre X-Men #3.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-09-2020 at 04:25 PM.

  7. #1012
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    In terms of Genosha that was brought up last page there are four roads that I see in the middle of her current path from what she will be doing on Krakoa in helping the resurrection process.

    1. Backing Krakoa zealously

    Positive: Her being more willing to break the rules even of those of the council to make the project work could create something to talk about between her and other characters and allow her to stand out and its workable given will be in the weeds of saving lives and restoring the Genoshan population.

    Negative: Many characters including most long time X-Men back Krakoa zealously so she would have to willing to be more extreme about it then some might like to stand out.

    2. The questioner and skeptic

    Positive: It lets her be on the winning side whatever that winning side happens to be down the line and she ends up not being hated by either the fans for or against Krakoa.

    Negative: At the end of the day Lorna as the skeptic or the generic voice of reason shot her character in the foot in quite a few runs given she doesn't stand out nor has anything really captivating to say about things which makes people think. She ends up in the mushy middle of debates which is fine if you are a highly popular character with a solid position like Jean, but not so fine if you are a character who fell through the cracks like Lorna.

    3. Isolationism is not enough aka if we sit on their ass and don't get involved outside of our island we will be wiped out in time.

    Positive: This is essentially an argument that allows her stand out from her father as well as her X-Men contemporaries. It would give her a different prospective and a great deal to talk about on Krakoa and for years to come. It could also be tied into her seeing the oppression of mutants outside of Krakoa.

    Negative: Its likely that if they go this route they won't pull the trigger fully until there is some big event that causes a crisis within the mutants. Marvel also is pretty strong on the idea Lorna needs to be a step or two more moderate then wherever Magneto is at a given moment so it would take a different mind set towards the character then the norm to make it a reality.

    4. A return to old line Xavierism aka mutants and humans should live together in harmony.

    Positive: It lets her step out from where the X-Men are now for at least a brief period.

    Negative: Lorna ends up fully being seen as the contrarian as in the woman who will take the opposite position from whatever the current status quo is. Fans who don't care about her now are not likely to care about her after and some willing to defend her now will be less likely to after.
    Obviously, the best route you present would be three in terms of development. It would go well with her Gifted characterization too. Neither 1 nor 4 makes much sense to take her anywhere particularly interesting or good... and would just not be in line with her character. She's not the type of character merely to go with two, especially when so many others have that debate covered. Three sounds like a more specific extension of two anyway and would fit given her history on Genosha by focusing on something unique to protect mutants in the long run.

    I think realistically, I don't see her veering too far off a softish 1 because it probably won't be a focus. I think writers will pick other, more favoured/obvious characters for philosophical/political roles. I think that her move to a more radical perspective occurred years before others because of Genosha will pass many writers by and would have meant she's seriously thought about these matters for a long while. Yet, who knows what exactly she'll touch upon on X-Factor, so we'll see! I'm looking forward.
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

  8. #1013
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I do think by the end of September we will have a feel for both where Lorna is now and where her story might be heading. What Lorna needs is an option that works with her history and lets her stand out in her current title and outside it.

    Also.

    That was very rude about Polaris! Obviously needs to pay more attention and read a few more comics, and watch the Gifted haha. People really like Polaris when they see her and get what she's about!
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

  9. #1014
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,760

    Default

    Genosha is returning as a storyline mini story arc this month and next in Empyre X-Men . She is on the cover of the trade as is Magneto as you can see at the link. I haven't given up hope of her appearing yet.

    I don't think Genosha is forgotten about for her, but I do think Bunn and other previous writers didn't view as her as deserving of being a deep character.



    On that note you might like the tops Topps 2020 Polaris card.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-20-2020 at 10:24 AM.

  10. #1015
    Mighty Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    If her Genosha history is kept in mind for her time on Krakoa then yes there is an enormous number of things that can be done and work well, if not at best it will be another forgettable run and at worst another airplane crash. Not a good day coming on the heels of learning Lorna won't be in Empyre X-Men #3.
    But I thought she would be, what happened?

    At least we got some nice pictures of her from the X of Swords crossover from X-factor
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

  11. #1016
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    But I thought she would be, what happened?
    She isn't in that issue and probably won't be the earlier ones. Its still possible she will appear in issue #4.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-09-2020 at 05:14 PM.

  12. #1017
    Mighty Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    She isn't in that issue and probably won't be the earlier ones. Its still possible she will appear in issue #4.
    I hope she does and that her past in developing Genosha is addressed I would love to see her interact with Magick, Selene and Multiple Man there during the crossover.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

  13. #1018
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Genosha is returning as a storyline mini story arc this month and next in Empyre X-Men . She is on the cover of the trade as is Magneto as you can see at the link. I haven't given up hope of her appearing yet.

    I don't think Genosha is forgotten about for her, but I do think Bunn and other previous writers didn't view as her as deserving of being a deep character.



    On that note you might like the tops Topps 2020 Polaris card.
    Very strange. I suppose the cover artist just liked her . Maybe she was pulled out of appearing GoTG post WoK style because of other plans? We'll see, maybe she still appears after all.

    And of course I do!
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

  14. #1019
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Very strange. I suppose the cover artist just liked her . Maybe she was pulled out of appearing GoTG post WoK style because of other plans? We'll see, maybe she still appears after all.

    And of course I do!
    I do think its more likely then not she still appears in issue #4 written by Hickman. They had more then enough time during the lockdown to excise Lorna (and Magneto) from the cover of the trade as was done with Lorna in GotG or they could have picked a new cover.

    One thing that I think you might find interesting is X-Men Reload including Uncanny X-Men 443 is going to be reprinted finally in September.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-09-2020 at 06:20 PM.

  15. #1020

    Default

    I'm waiting for more information. Also thanks for the link to the X-Men Reload paperback, I preordered it tonight. First physical Marvel comic I'm buying since 2015, and first physical Marvel product I'm buying since whenever the figurine came out.


    On a separate topic, I found a NSFW comic recently made with the Krakoa setting that includes Lorna, and ironically, it's better than anything I've seen from Marvel concerning Lorna in the past 5 years. She's spending time with colleagues she hasn't spent time with in decades. She's not defined by how she can be used to benefit other characters. She's having relationships with characters that aren't Havok, both men and women. Also, more panel time than anything from the past year. It says a lot when NSFW content does more for a character than the company that owns copyright.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •