Page 92 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1765

I feel like adding a bit more commentary on the $100 I mentioned before.

A lot of games have microtransactions. People spend tons on microtransactions. I've seen stories of people spending literally tens of thousands on Fate GO and other games, including one game where you basically pay for a chance to get a key that has a chance of opening a chest that has a chance of something good inside it. I might have exact details of it wrong but that was the general concept.

So a game saying $100 to purchase something isn't really that uncommon in this landscape - and maybe that's only because I just started playing. Maybe if I had been playing for a while, I'd have a form of in-game currency built up that could get her outright without paying any real world money. Granblue Fantasy has in-game currency where if you save it up over time, you can draw a bunch of stuff at once and then select one of whatever character you want that's available.

All of that said, personally I steer away from microtransactions in general unless they're very inexpensive. They're digital items that will disappear some day. I'm more willing to pay for video game DLC where I can add a character to my party (cost usually at most $8) or play new story content (Control, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Syndicate, etc). If it's not something like that then I tend to avoid it and use the money for stuff that's more tangible or has more staying power. I still usually buy physical for my video games and movies and only buy a game digitally if it's a special sale.

I know this isn't exactly "on topic" but I wanted to say this to give a little context to my reaction and decision with my last post.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-27-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Tried playing Lorna's first mission in Puzzle Quest earlier tonight and yeah, it destroyed me. Lorna in the mission is level 155. As a new player, my highest level character is 40. I really don't mind getting destroyed by Lorna though.

There was nothing story-wise that came out of starting the mission. Maybe something happens when you beat it. Looks like I'll just need to build up in the game and wait for another shot at it in the future.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Today's Puzzle Quest mission is titled "Family Troubles" with this description text:

"Despite their time training together, Polaris and her father sometimes clashed with each other. She proved she was just as formidable a fighter as he was."

She's level 270 (you as player using her) vs Magneto's 155. This mission is doable given which character it lets you use.

Also there's some kind of point system for this event where if you get 400 points, you get 5 copies of Polaris. For 500 points, you get 10 more. I know I won't reach 500 thanks to the first mission being too high level for me. Maybe I'll be able to get 400, but it depends on how the other missions are set up. The mission I was able to beat gave me 100 points.

Today's Puzzle Quest mission affirmed Lorna and Pietro as half-siblings. As you'd expect from the picture they used, it was based on the first arc of All-New X-Factor, so it was Lorna, Pietro and Gambit fighting 3 waves of AIM. It didn't say X-Factor though, it said Lorna joined the X-Men (following on from what jmc said about its focus). Technically would be more accurate if Lorna fought alongside 1-2 of the O5, but really no big deal, and I think reaffirming Lorna and Pietro as siblings is more valuable.

Though if the next mission really does involve Havok, I'd say this event would've been better off if it had done something of Lorna and the O5 instead. There hasn't been enough generally of acknowledging Lorna with the O5, and way too much of emphasizing Havok around her, out of Marvel. She doesn't need yet another reminder of it at a time when the X-books are unwilling to do better for her. We still have yet to see what Puzzle Quest is doing in that regard, so maybe I'm jumping the gun in a big way.

But I will say that one problem behind the general concept of "Lorna and Havok fight" is that especially with how Marvel's treated Havok like he's "more important" than her and done way more for him, a fight between the two has an air of "Havok is this big iconic threat that's so imposing because he defines her through the authority he's had over her life." Sort of like a child trying and failing to get out from under his father's shadow, or the ex-girlfriend of a celebrity who wants to strike out on her own but all anyone's willing to acknowledge about her is when she had a bad break-up with her celebrity ex. There may be a perception that Lorna fighting and defeating Havok can read like an empowerment dynamic, but really until Marvel gives her at least all the things they've given Havok over the past 50 years (leadership on major team books, regular acknowledgment of history with the O5, inclusion as a meaningful X-woman, things like Genosha actually meaning something, etc), a fight between Lorna and Havok really won't function that way. Lorna needs to be able to fight with him from a place of equal respect.

The fight needs to function as a symbolic representation of how she's developed into her own woman not defined by him. That he can't claim authority over her anymore. The fight can't do that until Marvel's willing to acknowledge everything about who Lorna really is that has nothing to do with Havok, and make sure people are aware of it in advance. Without that crucial foundation, it's just a concept that benefits Havok.

This problem doesn't exist for Lorna vs Magneto (so far), Lorna vs Wanda, Lorna vs Pietro, etc because Lorna hasn't had decades of mistreatment around those characters where she's defined as existing solely for their benefit like she has with Havok.

But back to the actual original Puzzle Quest talk: so far I'm enjoying what I see. Lorna's introduction to this game is another example of a game drawing me in through her, because just like with the LEGO series of games, I never would've played Puzzle Quest without her. And knowing that characters get involved in other characters' stories, I have incentive to keep playing and check future events for if Lorna is part of them (except if Havok's involved; I'm flat out avoiding Havok stuff and will outright sell him off in Puzzle Quest if I get him until Marvel treats Lorna much, much better).

Spectacular Member

I've always wondered, is are her lips supposed to be green or is it just the lipstick? I know the hair is supposed to be naturally green.

Good question. Based on her earliest appearances, and her origin story flashback, I'd say the green must be lipstick. Though there's nothing to say her mutation couldn't develop into her lips being green too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Good question. Based on her earliest appearances, and her origin story flashback, I'd say the green must be lipstick. Though there's nothing to say her mutation couldn't develop into her lips being green too.

Ah yes that makes sense. Funny, top 10 nerd just posted a video on alternate versions of Polaris just now! (new here not sure what linking policies are so I won't link it)

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    Ah yes that makes sense. Funny, top 10 nerd just posted a video on alternate versions of Polaris just now! (new here not sure what linking policies are so I won't link it)
    Linking is allowed on the board, as is embedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYx1gvkgPRI

I watched the video aaaaaaaaaaaand... there are only three things I agree with them on. That House of M is the best depiction, that she's a great character, and that the word "used" is a sadly accurate term for most of how Marvel decides to treat her.

Their list is missing two important alternate versions: the TV show Gifted, and the cartoon Wolverine and the X-Men. I think those are pretty major versions of her for a top 10 video to leave out. A third that I think is better than everything on the list was Jeff Parker's Exiles. If it was a list of my making, I'd have Gifted, WatXM, Exiles, and HoM in the top 4, and I'd definitely leave out the 90s animated series and Ultimates versions.

But, in the end, top 10 videos are just opinions, and no doubt someone else would really dislike my selections.

Oh, and the video kinda goes along with where Marvel's taking her right now which of course I don't. I've noted the problem before with how Marvel decided Lorna's only an alpha while Magneto gets to be omega even though many past comics have basically said if Magneto's an omega by Hickman's criteria then Lorna must be too. I don't accept Marvel recently putting words in Lorna's mouth of her not being comfortable with leadership so they have an excuse for why they refuse to have her doing anything meaningful in the comics and only serving as a member of Northstar's team on X-Factor. Etc.

Linking is allowed on the board, as is embedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYx1gvkgPRI

I watched the video aaaaaaaaaaaand... there are only three things I agree with them on. That House of M is the best depiction, that she's a great character, and that the word "used" is a sadly accurate term for most of how Marvel decides to treat her.

Their list is missing two important alternate versions: the TV show Gifted, and the cartoon Wolverine and the X-Men. I think those are pretty major versions of her for a top 10 video to leave out. A third that I think is better than everything on the list was Jeff Parker's Exiles. If it was a list of my making, I'd have Gifted, WatXM, Exiles, and HoM in the top 4, and I'd definitely leave out the 90s animated series and Ultimates versions.

But, in the end, top 10 videos are just opinions, and no doubt someone else would really dislike my selections.

Oh, and the video kinda goes along with where Marvel's taking her right now which of course I don't. I've noted the problem before with how Marvel decided Lorna's only an alpha while Magneto gets to be omega even though many past comics have basically said if Magneto's an omega by Hickman's criteria then Lorna must be too. I don't accept Marvel recently putting words in Lorna's mouth of her not being comfortable with leadership so they have an excuse for why they refuse to have her doing anything meaningful in the comics and only serving as a member of Northstar's team on X-Factor. Etc.

Yes, I think the green lips on Lorna is lipstick--a nice touch.

But I must say that I don't really mind that dark blue on her headress, although I prefer the yellow or green that is a different shade from her hair color.

Spectacular Member

Yea I agree. Polaris was pretty good in WatXM - I loved that show and really wish it got more than 1 season, it was really good. Same for the Gifted, cut too short. They did a good job considering the limited budget, always threatened with cancellation, being limited with the use of mutants (Polaris was the most well known mutant they got to use, and the actress really portrayed her well.

Yesterday's PQ mission was garbage, but no surprise there. It was playing as Havok to beat Lorna, basically making it a Havok mission forced into her event.

Today's mission was Lorna and Wanda teaming up. Text: "In spite of her hard past and often abrasive personality, Polaris always found someone to fight by her side, often teaming up with her half-sister, Scarlet Witch." I take it as aspirational.

There's a separate "Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D." event for her too that launched yesterday. The first mission is her vs Jean. I don't know if that match is a typical recurring event or special to this, but it's still appropriate with Lorna and Jean's history.

Yea I agree. Polaris was pretty good in WatXM - I loved that show and really wish it got more than 1 season, it was really good. Same for the Gifted, cut too short. They did a good job considering the limited budget, always threatened with cancellation, being limited with the use of mutants (Polaris was the most well known mutant they got to use, and the actress really portrayed her well.
    Lorna's actual good opportunities have a history of getting cut short or not doing right by her at some point. Sometimes for broader reasons, sometimes out of what seems to be bias against her.

In 2009 during the Disney buyout, the WatXM cartoon and Jeff Parker's Exiles both got canceled abruptly. Pretty apparent the reason was the start of a Disney/Perlmutter vs Fox feud, but it hurt Lorna. Then we had X-Factor #243 and ANXF not getting support when needed. Gifted had Lorna as a breakout star but it pretty much disregarded fan interest in favor of sticking attitudes and plans that were killing the show (and the question lingers of reason; could have been showrunner and writer decisions, could have been orders from on high to kill the show to please Disney, etc), and Marvel only saw her sudden popularity as something they could exploit to promote Havok at her expense on X-Men Blue. ANXF itself had some major problems with its treatment of Lorna from #3-6, as if she didn't "deserve" to be a leader until #7 turned things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, I think the green lips on Lorna is lipstick--a nice touch.

But I must say that I don't really mind that dark blue on her headress, although I prefer the yellow or green that is a different shade from her hair color.
    That headdress looks green to me. Just a shade of green coming closer to blue.

Spectacular Member

Yesterday's PQ mission was garbage, but no surprise there. It was playing as Havok to beat Lorna, basically making it a Havok mission forced into her event.

Today's mission was Lorna and Wanda teaming up. Text: "In spite of her hard past and often abrasive personality, Polaris always found someone to fight by her side, often teaming up with her half-sister, Scarlet Witch." I take it as aspirational.

There's a separate "Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D." event for her too that launched yesterday. The first mission is her vs Jean. I don't know if that match is a typical recurring event or special to this, but it's still appropriate with Lorna and Jean's history.

Lorna's actual good opportunities have a history of getting cut short or not doing right by her at some point. Sometimes for broader reasons, sometimes out of what seems to be bias against her.

In 2009 during the Disney buyout, the WatXM cartoon and Jeff Parker's Exiles both got canceled abruptly. Pretty apparent the reason was the start of a Disney/Perlmutter vs Fox feud, but it hurt Lorna. Then we had X-Factor #243 and ANXF not getting support when needed. Gifted had Lorna as a breakout star but it pretty much disregarded fan interest in favor of sticking attitudes and plans that were killing the show (and the question lingers of reason; could have been showrunner and writer decisions, could have been orders from on high to kill the show to please Disney, etc), and Marvel only saw her sudden popularity as something they could exploit to promote Havok at her expense on X-Men Blue. ANXF itself had some major problems with its treatment of Lorna from #3-6, as if she didn't "deserve" to be a leader until #7 turned things around.

That headdress looks green to me. Just a shade of green coming closer to blue.

It's a blue/green color to me, leaning more towards blue. But it could depend on monitor settings or individual person's eye perception.

As for WATXM - it got canceled because there weren't strong toy sales. Which is sad, because it's a bad metric to judge a show on, the ratings IIRC were solid. There's a very small glimmer of home that it gets the Young Justice treatment and gets picked up for a streaming service, but it's over 10 years and one of the creators died (Boyd I think was his last name). Plus it'd be hard to get all the same people to work on the project again.

The Gifted, I did watch and like, but you're right at the end it kind of fell off a bit. It had potential but I think it just fell victim of too high a budget for not as much ratings as they were hoping for sadly.

As for WATXM - it got canceled because there weren't strong toy sales. Which is sad, because it's a bad metric to judge a show on, the ratings IIRC were solid. There's a very small glimmer of home that it gets the Young Justice treatment and gets picked up for a streaming service, but it's over 10 years and one of the creators died (Boyd I think was his last name). Plus it'd be hard to get all the same people to work on the project again.
    Are you sure? I was under the impression that it happened bc Disney had purhcased Marvel and they canned other cartoons (like Spectactular Spider-Man, which did very well) in favor of producing their own