Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Reign in Hell could only happen as it did because she was put in Limbo. If she'd been kept around at the very least they'd have been forced to come up with an explanation for the changes, if not write her entirely differently.
    Mischaracterization without any in-universe explanation can happen even with characters that appear regularly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Mischaracterization without any in-universe explanation can happen even with characters that appear regularly.
    That's a given, but this level of mischaracterization requires both having 0 knowledge of the character in the first place and complete editorial disregard. The simple need to ensure continuity from one issue to the next usually prevents such radical shifts in how the character is depicted. Even Hal Jordan had his motivations and new powers explained completely and didn't have his hair color mysteriously change without explanation. The cause and effect was at least clear.

Headcannon: It wasn't Linda but Matrix/Twilight, who was an angel at the end of PAD's run. Their merger didn't work out so well, leading to an identity crisis, and since Twilight once worked for Lilith she was summoned at the start of Reign in Hell. And any confusion she had over saying she was Linda had to do with Matrix still having Linda's memories the way Linda still remembered being Luthor's girlfriend.

In terms of bringing Linda back, there's one requirement that would go a long way towards ensuring it's done right, bringing back her supporting cast with her. Specifically her parents. Cutter and Mattue should be brought back as well, but without Fred and Sylvia there's no point to bringing her back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    This.

I love his bluntness sometimes, but he can be quite rude too. They way he talks about the cover artist there...
    Also, Blond Justice sounds bad.
    I recall a lot of dissatisfaction with the choice of cover artist -- because that issue was intended to be a major shift in the series (in order to save it from cancellation). I can appreciate the cover on its own merits now, but it was the wrong choice at the time. PAD feels that it resulted in reduced orders, and I think he's correct. Numbers did pick up, but I guess no enough for DC's satisfaction.

I do think, though, that PAD will often let a storyline run too long at the cost of reduced readership. I know there were times that the book got boring.

Extraordinary Member

The search for the angel-half of herself did go on too long I think. Also too many tie-ins with events. Our Worlds at War I get, but the Joker's Last Laugh tie-in was completely unnecessary. I'd probably get rid of those issues and warp up the whole plot by issue 70.

The search for the angel-half of herself did go on too long I think. Also too many tie-ins with events. Our Worlds at War I get, but the Joker's Last Laugh tie-in was completely unnecessary. I'd probably get rid of those issues and warp up the whole plot by issue 70.
    Yeah, the Joker's Last Laugh thing really didn't need to be outside the bat books.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

An idea I had for how to reintroduce Linda and eventually make her Superwoman that I wanted to write down. I see this as 'issue 1'

It’s a classic robbery: A man in a mask holds a gun to the man behind the counter and demands all the money in the cash register.

The thief doesn’t notice me. Why should he? I’m just a woman standing with her back turned to him examining the different milk brands here. There are two other customers in the mini-market, both frozen in fright at the man with the gun.

He turns the gun ‘gansta style,’ as if that would somehow make him more threatening, and angrily repeats his demands.

In my mind’s eye I see a figure appear in the doorway, tall and confident. Her long blonde hair and bright red cape billow in the wind left by her sudden appearance. Her hands rest at her hips as she proudly displays the symbol on her chest, daring the thief to shoot her.

But there is no heroine here. There is only me and the few civilians. Instead of confronting the thief, I ‘accidentally’ knock some items off a nearby shelf.

The thief turns towards me, distracted by the noise. He pivots and takes half a step in case someone is trying to attack him, and it’s all the opening I need.

A tiny burst of telekinesis at the foot he moved causes him to fall to the floor. To everyone here it looks like he simply tripped and lost his footing. A second burst of tk knocks the gun out of his hand as he hits the floor.

Immediately, one of the other customers springs into action. He’s a big man, though approaching middle aged. Without the gun in the way, he has no problem using his size to pin the thief to the ground.

And that’s how the crisis ends.

The police arrive soon enough to take the masked man away and to take our statements. My story is the same as everyone else’s. The thief tripped and the big man saved the day. He’s the hero, and he’ll get the attention from the local press.

That’s the way it should be, I think as I walk home with my low-fat milk. Once I would have made a dramatic appearance in full costume and snapped a quick one-liner before picking the thief up and intimidating him into surrendering – all with a smile.

I would have been the talk of the town. My picture would be all over the newspapers. For doing something easy, for facing something that was not a threat or a challenge, for an act which would require no bravery on my part.

I enter my apartment. It’s small, but I’m the only one here. I open the milk and take a chug before putting it in the fridge. I never have guests over, so there’s no point in not drinking straight from the bottle.

There’s someone who could in theory come over at any time. I haven’t made myself that hard to find for someone with his abilities. If he was looking, he’d have found me long ago. My continued isolation is the clearest sign that he hasn’t tried to find me.

That’s fine with me. I don’t want to be found.

I go into my living room, which serves as my studio, and turn on the television. The news is focusing on some big fight in Metropolis.

They are playing up the drama, making it seem like the Man of Steel could actually lose this one. But I know better. I know him. He doesn’t need any help, certainly not mine.

I can’t believe there was ever a time when I thought he might need me for anything. Yes, I’m powerful, but power isn’t everything.

There was a time when my battles were also national news, when people thronged the streets just to get a glimpse of me just as they do him.

But now I’ve been forgotten, as if I never existed. There’s even another who now uses the same name I used to.

I’ve watched her, this newcomer to Earth. I observed her closer than I ever meant to. Call it nostalgia or call it curiosity. Somehow, she ended up taking my name twice over.

You’d think I’d be angry, resentful of her for taking what used to be mine. But I’m not. How could I resent someone for having what I never deserved in the first place?

I take out my materials and begin another project. I still make sculptures and sell them. I’ve got to earn a living somehow. It’s the only part of my old life that’s left.

My old life. I was part of something truly special, more special than I had even realized at the time.

I flew with angels, chummed with heroes and legends, even walked with gods. But I never belonged.

I was never good enough. It wasn’t just that I had been a bad person before. Even after I changed, I still didn’t measure up. My mistakes were too big and too numerous, my victories were too few and came at too high a cost.

So I eventually hung up the cape and the spandex. I put away the shield for good.

The shield. What arrogance ever possessed me to wear it? What utter chutzpah was it to think I could ever be worthy of that symbol and everything it represents!

It was vanity, I realize now. I wanted the attention, the adoration. I wanted to feel special. And that’s not what the shield stands for.

I still help people. That robbery was not an aberration or a one-time thing. I just do it differently now.

Before I would make a big show of it, flying in and demonstrating my super-strength and invulnerability. I would smile for the cameras, talk with my fans, and attract all sorts of attention to myself.

Now I primarily use my telekinesis. With it, I don’t even have to get close to criminals to stop them. If I see a car about to go off a cliff, a little application of tk can push it back onto the road without needing to touch it. If there’s a fire, surgical use of my power can put the flames out while I’m standing across the street. If there’s a kitten in a tree, I can give it a gentle nudge to encourage it to come down without needing to look at it.

I don’t receive any thanks for these acts. There are no accolades or articles written about my exploits. No one even knows a person is responsible for them.

That is how it should be.

This way, I don’t draw attention to myself. This way, I don’t make mistakes which cost others their lives. This way, I don’t attract supervillains and demons.

It’s amazing how much simpler, how much easier it became once my ego was removed from the equation. I’m not trying to prove something I know I can never prove. I’m just helping where I can.

Of course, not everything is easy. It is a lonely existence. But it’s the one I’ve chosen.

I haven’t cut myself off totally from my parents. Once a month I go back to Leesburg with my super-speed to leave them a letter to let them know I’m all right and to tell them what I’ve been doing. Occasionally I also leave new sculpture I made. I know they must miss me terrible, but I can’t go back. Not ever everything I’ve lost. At least they have baby Wally with them.

I’ll survive the loneliness. I have everything I need, a roof over my head, a steady income, a purpose, and anonymity.

Who am I? No one. Just a sinner who foolishly thought she had become a saint. Just a girl who thought she was a Supergirl.

Extraordinary Member

Part 2 due to character limit.

The next day, I sell my two newest sculptures at an unusually high price. In fact, I almost feel guilty at how much the buyer paid. Still, now that I’ve got some extra cash, there’s no harm in indulging myself a little, so I decide to go to the nicest restaurant in town for lunch.

As I’m walking I nearly get hit by a bicycle. Had the kid riding it actually hit me he’d be hurt a lot more than I would, but it’s the principle of the matter. He didn’t even slow down to pass me.

He still doesn’t slow down as he reaches the crosswalk. For half a moment I almost consider letting him be hit by the car which is baring down on him. He shows no concern for his own safety or that of others, so why should I show any for his?

But it’s not the poor driver’s fault a bike came out of nowhere, and I know better than anyone the value of second chances. So I act.

It’s simple to stop the bike before it goes too far onto the road with my tk. I almost forget about the problem of momentum. Simply stopping the bike would cause the rider to fly across the street. But I have the speed and reflexes to catch bullets, and I can not only keep him on the bike, but I can keep it upright.

Surgical precision.

The kid on the bike groans in pain. He may not have gone splat on the pavement, but he was still thrown a little into his bike’s handlebars.

He looks about in confusion, unsure of what he might have run over that made his bike stop so suddenly.

I run over, asking, “are you all right?”

He nods, an embarrassed expression on his face.

“You should really be more careful,” I admonish him. “That car almost hit you.”

That’s the end of my involvement with this incident. Maybe this kid will listen and behave more responsibly, or maybe he’ll just get himself killed tomorrow. If he runs over a little old lady with his bike, it will be because I saved him here and now.

I can’t control people’s stupidity. I couldn’t do that even when I wore a symbol that meant others had to listen to me. I can’t save everyone either. I can only do what I can.
    Those are realizations I came to only after I hung up the cape.

I enter the restaurant and take a seat. It’s not a peak hour, so the place is only half-full. A waitress comes by quickly to take my order. When she leaves, I turn my attention to the television, which is showing a sports game.
    I was never so into sports, but my father followed the scores religiously. I can see the appeal in watching these feats of strength, speed and skill, in seeing strategies and quick-thinking pay off. I’ve seen it all on a much larger scale.

Someone makes a request and the channel is changed. There’s something more exciting on. The news is covering yet another brawl in Metropolis. Just like all the others.

Except …

I gasp and my eyes widen in fright when the figures slow down enough the camera to get a good focus on them.

There is a burst of wind which shocks everyone in the restaurant. The waitress returns a few minutes later to find my bill paid along with a tip, but an otherwise empty table.

There’s no time to eat, no time for anything. There isn’t time to be concerned over the effects created by my sonic boom on the people below.

For the first time in forever, I fly.

I don’t want to do this. I simply have no choice.

Even at my maximum speed, it takes a little while to get to Metropolis. By the time I arrive the destruction has become fairly widespread in the neighborhood where the fight began.

I survey the damage from above. It seems that Clark recognized this was an unusually dangerous opponent and moved the fight out of the city.

A little girl, no older than eight, looks up and points in my direction.

“Look, up in the sky!”

By the time her mother looks in the direction she is pointing, the sky is empty.

“What is it, honey?”

“I thought I saw Supergirl!”

Supergirl? No. That’s not me. It isn’t Supergirl who is attempting to determine which direction the fight moved. It isn’t Supergirl who is hyperventilating from fear.

As noble as it was for Clark to move the battle away from civilians, the delay in my finding them could cost him his life.

I’ve always made a point of staying out of his battles. After all, he’s Superman. He always wins.

But this time, it’s not that simple. This time, he can’t win. Because he’s Superman.

I finally find them, duking it out in the woods. The monster lands a devastating blow, knocking Superman to the ground. He raises his arm and his hand begins to glow.

I’m not going to make it in time, I realize. This creature Xenon, has the power to reduce Kryptonians to ash, and I’m not going to make it.

Fortunately, I have another option.

A full-powered blast of the kind I haven’t used in ages knocks the monster back thirty yards. He crashes through trees and lands on his back, having been caught completely off guard by my attack.

Superman gapes. “That was a telekinetic blast …“ he says to himself.

Xenon growls as he starts to rise.

“Who?” he demands.

That’s the question. Who am I? I’m not Supergirl. I’m not a superhero. I’m not even a hero.

Superman can’t believe his eyes as small figure in civilian clothes appears between him and Xenon.

I’m just …

“You,” he whispers.

I don’t move my head to look at him as I answer. My attention is focused entirely on Xenon.

I’m just … “Me.”

Just Linda Danvers.

But now I’ve been forgotten, as if I never existed. There’s even another who now uses the same name I used to.

I’ve watched her, this newcomer to Earth. I observed her closer than I ever meant to. Call it nostalgia or call it curiosity. Somehow, she ended up taking my name twice over.
    How would she even know the current Supergirl was called Danvers? The Kara Danvers identity isn't public knowledge, only Kara Zor-El is. So if she's been spying on her enough to learn that, it's a breach of privacy. And frankly, Kara would probably notice before it got to that point.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    How would she even know the current Supergirl was called Danvers? The Kara Danvers identity isn't public knowledge, only Kara Zor-El is. So if she's been spying on her enough to learn that, it's a breach of privacy. And frankly, Kara would probably notice before it got to that point.
    All right. Someone finally responds to one of my story ideas around here.

I admit I am not up on the current iteration of Supergirl other than that it got cancelled again fairly recently. I wouldn't have assumed that 'Kara Danvers' is public knowledge, but I would assume that Linda would have a pretty strong interest in at least seeing that Kara is all right given the events of Many Happy Returns. As for the how, she has approached Superman without him being aware of her presence before, so I don't see why Kara would have to be aware of her presence. As for the privacy invasion thing, that's what superheroes do, a lot. Linda while still merged with Matrix did follow Comet to his motel room and enter it without permission to find how his secret ID. I don't think she'd have to get that close this time.

While not a Linda Danvers story this tale of mine does involve Matrix merging with a human, Lois Lane.

Title

Lois Lane Power Woman

Summary

We all know the multiverse is vast: infinite choices, infinite possibilities, and infinite outcomes. In one universe what if Matrix/Supergirl sacrificed herself not to save a dying Linda Danvers but instead a dying Lois Lane? What would change for our heroes, villains, and citizens? How would this affect both Lois and Clark? Behold the tale of Lois Lane Power Woman of DC Earth-899!

Characters

[Lois Lane, Clark K./Kal-El/Superman, Karen Starr/Kara Zor-L/Power Girl] Lex Luthor

Rated - M for Mature

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13561353/1/

enjoy
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-22-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    While not a Linda Danvers story this tale of mine does involve Matrix merging with a human, Lois Lane.

Title

Lois Lane Power Woman

Summary

We all know the multiverse is vast: infinite choices, infinite possibilities, and infinite outcomes. In one universe what if Matrix/Supergirl sacrificed herself not to save a dying Linda Danvers but instead a dying Lois Lane? What would change for our heroes, villains, and citizens? How would this affect both Lois and Clark? Behold the tale of Lois Lane Power Woman of DC Earth-899!

Characters

[Lois Lane, Clark K./Kal-El/Superman, Karen Starr/Kara Zor-L/Power Girl] Lex Luthor

Rated - M for Mature

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13561353/1/

enjoy
    You've certainly changed things from the original. Once Matrix and Linda merged she could not change shape anymore and could only switch from Linda to Supergirl. So she couldn't make herself bigger even if she wanted to. Matrix was hardly a runt but a good 6 inches taller than Linda her having a bigger chest than Linda was a running gag after they split. Not sure why Lois would care care so much about those aspects of her appearance or why she'd show such disrespect for Supergirl, especially if Supergirl is now a part of her. I can only assume at this point that Lois had something against Supergirl. Maybe she was jealous because she thought Supergirl was competition for Superman's affections, or maybe Supergirl made a mistake Lois resents her for. There has to be a reason Lois would specifically not want to be Supergirl. If she had lost her memory and this was a new, third personality that would explain the new identity, but her derogatory references to Supergirl seem to show that she has her memory and she knows what happened to her. And Lois doesn't look good talking that way about someone who just saved her life.

I also have to wonder about how calm Lois is about the whole thing. Does she not care about becoming a different person? Why have the merger at all if it doesn't seem to create any internal conflict? In the original Supergirl was plagued by doubts about whether she did the right thing, about whether she was a real person, about whether she saved Linda's life or stole it. And that was on top of the problems Linda had to begin with. If Matrix is part of her now, then she should have all of Matrix's fears, doubts, and dreams in addition to her own. If not, then what is the point other than giving Lois super-powers? The same goes for her powerset. Is Lois now the angel of fire?

If this is a timeline where Lois doesn't know Clark is Superman, she should now know that from Matrix's memories. If Matrix was raised by the Kents like she was in the original, then she's now Superman's adopted sister. How does Lois react to this, and how does Matrix being added to her personality change how she would react, since this is only news to half of herself.

I'm not saying it needs to be the same as the Linda Supergirl series, but the scenario presents specific implications and issues that must be addressed, and if they aren't addressed then Lois might as well have gained powers from a wizard. Sorry to be so critical, but I think the idea has potential if you actually commit to the plot point that Matrix and Lois are now one being instead of just making Lois a power fantasy.

Astonishing Member

Never say never, but I think DC has too much time and capital invested in Supergirl as a trademark. This prevents her from ever becoming Superwoman. You never know, though, being that there has never really been a successful Superwoman series, it would make for a big change -- and would garner publicity in the media if Kara finally became Superwoman. Inevitably, this would lead to a new Supergirl being introduced -- and I'm not sure we need a new Supergirl.

You've certainly changed things from the original. Once Matrix and Linda merged she could not change shape anymore and could only switch from Linda to Supergirl. So she couldn't make herself bigger even if she wanted to. Matrix was hardly a runt but a good 6 inches taller than Linda her having a bigger chest than Linda was a running gag after they split. Not sure why Lois would care care so much about those aspects of her appearance or why she'd show such disrespect for Supergirl, especially if Supergirl is now a part of her. I can only assume at this point that Lois had something against Supergirl. Maybe she was jealous because she thought Supergirl was competition for Superman's affections, or maybe Supergirl made a mistake Lois resents her for. There has to be a reason Lois would specifically not want to be Supergirl. If she had lost her memory and this was a new, third personality that would explain the new identity, but her derogatory references to Supergirl seem to show that she has her memory and she knows what happened to her. And Lois doesn't look good talking that way about someone who just saved her life.

I also have to wonder about how calm Lois is about the whole thing. Does she not care about becoming a different person? Why have the merger at all if it doesn't seem to create any internal conflict? In the original Supergirl was plagued by doubts about whether she did the right thing, about whether she was a real person, about whether she saved Linda's life or stole it. And that was on top of the problems Linda had to begin with. If Matrix is part of her now, then she should have all of Matrix's fears, doubts, and dreams in addition to her own. If not, then what is the point other than giving Lois super-powers? The same goes for her powerset. Is Lois now the angel of fire?

If this is a timeline where Lois doesn't know Clark is Superman, she should now know that from Matrix's memories. If Matrix was raised by the Kents like she was in the original, then she's now Superman's adopted sister. How does Lois react to this, and how does Matrix being added to her personality change how she would react, since this is only news to half of herself.

I'm not saying it needs to be the same as the Linda Supergirl series, but the scenario presents specific implications and issues that must be addressed, and if they aren't addressed then Lois might as well have gained powers from a wizard. Sorry to be so critical, but I think the idea has potential if you actually commit to the plot point that Matrix and Lois are now one being instead of just making Lois a power fantasy.
    I do love feedback, now then -

Lois is not consciously aware of the fusion. The trauma caused by her attack and the accidental fusion has caused a mental block. In essence, Lois has a split personality now.

The new composite Lois/Matrix is drawing on Lois' subconscious idea of what a female superhero should look like and act like. These ideas are also playing on Matrix's subconscious insecurities of her own chosen form.

Yes, this is not the canon timeline. Lois is unaware of Clark's identity but Power Woman (Girl) is fully aware due to having access to the memories left behind by Matrix.

I've decided to forego the whole "Earth Angel" concept. I prefer Matrix in this story to be purely a psalmic lifeform with no links to Earth mythology or religious iconography.

Don't worry I'm well aware of everything you've mentioned. This was but a short teaser to test interest in the story (which there seems to be plenty of). I'll address everything, in time.

One long-term issue I'm not sure of, and could use some input regarding, is -

Should Lois/Matrix be able to get pregnant as a purely biological female would or not?
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-26-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

PAD's Supergirl series was my favorite back when I was a kid in the 90s/00s. I followed it from beginning to end. Sucks that the collection that has been in graphic novel format has stopped with book 4. I'd love to see DC put the rest out.

I remember reading that Dan Didio, who I blame for so much of what went wrong at DC in the 2000s, made the decision to get rid of Linda because he didn't like her bio at the que of a Six Flags Superman rollercoaster.
    Oh for christ sakes seriously? I remember in 2009 or so I asked Didio about Linda's return to the then Kara Supergirl title, I can't remember his answer much but he shrugged off the question with "Linda who?...". I was pissed.
    They actually still have the earth-born angel bio in the Six Flags in Mexico.

Reign in Hell made no sense.
    Another thing that made me pissed. I was so pumped to see her back when this series came out and it made no sense at all. They might as well have just left her out.

With that said I did a mock-up comic cover in 2016 featuring all four of the New Earth Supergirl's including Matrix and Linda.
    Last edited by sailorkrypton; 05-16-2020 at 05:56 PM.

From Earth Angel to the Grave: Burying Peter David’s SUPERGIRL by Jude DeLuca

http://www.comicosity.com/from-earth...ids-supergirl/