Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Why creating new characters instead of using/pushing established characters?

Hello,
    I really dont understand why DC keeps creating new characters instead of pushing already existing characters:

This is striking especially in Tims Generation:

-Mia Dearden:
    Mia was a cool, unique character who was introduced well and was a very cool character
    I really liked that DC took time to explain the character, let her interact with other people, also become it human, showed her weaknesses etc. etc.
    Mia was briefly in the NEW52 Comics, but I wished that DC would have used her instead of Hex for example

-Kid Devil
    Kid Devil was killed in the Sanctuary Event and I wished that they would have used him in the YJ Series instead of other characters..

-Traci13
    I will never understand why DC chose to put her in the JL Dark Team instead of using her for YJ Series
    She was one of the best characters in Tims Generation and was only briefly a TT member

-Super-Chief

etc. etc. etc.

I don't know the last one, bu have liked some versions of the other three, and would enjoy seeing those versions again. But I'd say the create new ones for a few reasons. Firstly - new characters for hopefully new audiences (which will include more diversity, often). Secondly, because they have more creative freedom to do whatever they want with a new character - with an existing one, they either have to keep the continuity they have, or risk alienating their existing fans by changing it (sometimes to the point of making them basically in-name-only the same character). Thirdly, the established one often didn't make a splash the first time and sometimes not even the second, so why engage in the sunk cost fallacy instead of starting over fresh with a new character that has a higher chance of success?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

To leave a mark on a mythos.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Royalty fee
    Assuming they have one

Extraordinary Member

I think in some cases it comes also simply down to why bring back a an old character that never really caught on and good chunk of the readers might not know much about, instead of doing something fresh and new.

And in case of Mia Dearden I'm really questioning, if it would be really a good idea to put a character with that backstory in book like Young Justice that was supposed to be fun a light hearted.
    Last edited by Aahz; 12-26-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Royalty fee
    Assuming they have one
    They dont get royalties unless its an oc

>You're a hotshot up and coming creator and you love Wonder Woman even if you don't know all the details about her.
    >DC wants to hire you to write a WW comic focusing on Donna Troy.
    >You take the gig and you open up a wiki page to do some research.
    >Your brain melts.
    >You are not big enough of a creator to do line wide reboots.
    >Solution: create a new character.

This doesn't apply to just Donna Troy (although she is an easy target for this) but currently all characters at DC.

You can't do something like Robinson's Starman, Priset's Ray or Waid's Flash in current day DC because they are too quick to destroy instead of allowing something to be built and developed.

That's what I've been wondering for the longest time.

Especially in the Endless Winter I wonder if the villain is some new winter God or one of the older cold characters like Icicle or Killer Frost. If Poison Ivy is allowed to mind-control the entire population of Earth why not have Killer Frost freeze the whole planet too huh....

I don't think the editorial staff cares about the same characters you do. Marvel/DC tends to operate more like film producers. In filmmaking, the producer is usually the one pitching project ideas to prospective writers/directors. So its safe to say that most editors feel like the established characters wouldn't add much to an existing project.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-26-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    That's what I've been wondering for the longest time.

Especially in the Endless Winter I wonder if the villain is some new winter God or one of the older cold characters like Icicle or Killer Frost. If Poison Ivy is allowed to mind-control the entire population of Earth why not have Killer Frost freeze the whole planet too huh....
    Villains seem to have their own problem of glass ceilings. I can see the argument now, "Killer Frost is a C tier villain, we can't push her up to A tier because reasons."

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't think the editorial staff cares about the same characters you do. Marvel/DC tends to operate more like film producers. In filmmaking, the producer is usually the one pitching project ideas to prospective writers/directors. So its safe to say that most editors feel like the established characters wouldn't add much to an existing project.
    This is honestly very true. I had never even heard of Bette Kane really before coming to these forums. In the past few years there seems to be this resurgence of, "Use Bette" in posts here.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    >You're a hotshot up and coming creator and you love Wonder Woman even if you don't know all the details about her.
    >DC wants to hire you to write a WW comic focusing on Donna Troy.
    >You take the gig and you open up a wiki page to do some research.
    >Your brain melts.
    >You are not big enough of a creator to do line wide reboots.
    >Solution: create a new character.

This doesn't apply to just Donna Troy (although she is an easy target for this) but currently all characters at DC.

You can't do something like Robinson's Starman, Priset's Ray or Waid's Flash in current day DC because they are too quick to destroy instead of allowing something to be built and developed.
    Donna's history does this quicker than any chemical substance. Truer words never spoken.

Not going to lie, I read your post in the Old Spice guy's voice and it broke me.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    I really dont understand why DC keeps creating new characters instead of pushing already existing characters:

This is striking especially in Tims Generation:

-Mia Dearden:
    Mia was a cool, unique character who was introduced well and was a very cool character
    I really liked that DC took time to explain the character, let her interact with other people, also become it human, showed her weaknesses etc. etc.
    Mia was briefly in the NEW52 Comics, but I wished that DC would have used her instead of Hex for example

-Kid Devil
    Kid Devil was killed in the Sanctuary Event and I wished that they would have used him in the YJ Series instead of other characters..

-Traci13
    I will never understand why DC chose to put her in the JL Dark Team instead of using her for YJ Series
    She was one of the best characters in Tims Generation and was only briefly a TT member

-Super-Chief

etc. etc. etc.
    Easier to get new readers who are unfamiliar or don't have the time/effort to go back to the established characters' history.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I never understood this as well.i didn't like any of the new 52 stuff so I didn't buy any of it,then we got rebirth n the only thing that instrerst me was the Titans and that didn't last long.now they have the Legion of super heroes and im not into rushed comics and you have no idea who's who and what their powers and abilities are and it too does nothing for me.and w the Justice League we have the same heroes all the time.Wonder Woman.Batman.Superman.Aquaman.Flash and Green Lantern.at least the Avengers switched up teams now and then.it's really sad what's become of Comics in the last 10 years I've saved so money I was spending round $250 a month on books pre Flashpoint now the only Book I collect is Wonder Woman n hopefully she gets a new writer cause the current one im not a fan at all of hers.hopefully in the coming years characters such as Black Lightning.Vixen.Bumblebee.The Herald.Redstar.Magenta.Firestorm.Cpt Atom.Red Tornado.Geo Force.Cpt Comet.Looker.Omac just to name a few get some time in the spotlight.

I've always said this was a problem that DC and Marvel have, especially when it comes to a desire to have more diverse characters. If you look at the unused characters in both companies' histories, a LOT of them are something other than straight white dudes. So rather than insert new characters who will likely be forgotten when whatever creators who created them move on, promote the ones you already have to higher statuses and create more awareness there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Easier to get new readers who are unfamiliar or don't have the time/effort to go back to the established characters' history.
    That is not the case withy everybody.

I can dig through the DC wiki and get enough villains to give Cyborg a rouge gallery to last 100 issues.

None of who you need a research to learn about if you are a new reader.

As for diverse ones-so MANY are under developed that a new writer could do whatever they wanted.

Some of these folks don't need a long detailed story.