Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I really like the character. I hope DC/WB takes the next step and gives her some mainstream attention.

Should she have a code name? Is just being called Naomi enough to get her to “the next level”?

I do think she might struggle in other media without a proper codename. Just look at how rarely Donna Troy, who used to have a codename but no longer uses one, has appeared outside the comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't think she needs a codename. Naomi McDuffie is a great name and the McDuffie legacy insures she's got recognizability. the marketability of a character of color bearing the name of the most pivotal black creator in mainstream comics is a clever idea, and with Milestone finally settled, it leaves room for an uptick if or when Milestone content is produced again. a codename doesn't seem all too neccessary and i doubt it'll have better branding potential than her full name.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-21-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

That surname is only meaningful to comic book fans who know who she was named after.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

A Hero name would surely make it easier to find her on the Internet

But I've no Idea what it could be.

I think Naomi works fine, actually. At first I was like, yeah she needs a codename, but having given it some thought?

You know the heroes who just wear normal clothes, like Conner Kent or Jon Kent or Cassie Sandsmark? A pair of jeans and a t-shirt kind of stands out in a crowd when the whole crowd is wearing spandex and capes and masks right? Same with Naomi's name; when everyone else is "Captain" that or "Awesome" this, a hero who just goes by her name in the DCU is pretty damn rare and unique. I mean, there's Naomi and Donna Troy and......I'm sure there's a couple others, but no one of any real note comes to mind.

So it stands out, just in a different way than we're used to. And given that STAR rolled up on her house and Young Justice slept over and everything....I'm guessing her identity is already out, or at least is an open secret. And there's been reporters, and I think she introduced herself to Superman using her real name where people could hear it too? At this point, why bother with a codename?

Besides, the first mini gained traction and built some real hype and everyone is waiting for Naomi season 2. The name is building recognition, why shy away from that? I say lean into it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Donna Troy still has the names Wonder Girl to fall back on if a marketing team wants to build some hype around the character. I’m sure a lot of casual fans would find more excitement hearing that Wonder Girl will appear in a tv show or movie over someone named Donna Troy.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I got the trade! my first physical DC trade and my second physical trade ever (first was Killmonger)

I went to my local comic store, they didn't have this in stock, but they ordered it for me, I should have it by end of next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Donna Troy still has the names Wonder Girl to fall back on if a marketing team wants to build some hype around the character. I’m sure a lot of casual fans would find more excitement hearing that Wonder Girl will appear in a tv show or movie over someone named Donna Troy.
    Wonder Girl was in the Young Justice cartoon, but, of course, it was Cassie, the current one. If they want to use a codename for Donna, they're best off using Troia.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wonder Girl was in the Young Justice cartoon, but, of course, it was Cassie, the current one. If they want to use a codename for Donna, they're best off using Troia.
    Or Harbinger. She *did* take that role on, during the Infinite Crisis era. Cool idea, interesting niche for Donna....shame nothing came of it.

As for Naomi, yeah, a "Awesome Girl" type codename would seem to make marketing sense, but I don't think we can discount the uniqueness of her just using her own name either. I mean, when pushing her profile into the general audience "Awesome Girl" has no more recognition than "Naomi" does, but once she gains a little bit of traction it won't matter. And the costume and powers will clearly establish her in the superhero genre. Naomi isn't such a common name in the States that it'll be easily forgotten or confused, she's not "Jennifer" or anything.

If the first mini hadn't done so well and built up some hype, a codename would probably be a 100% viable and correct choice. And maybe she'll use one, who knows? But people are looking forward to Naomi; DC's hottest new character. We start calling her Awesome Girl (or whatever) and we run the risk of people missing her because they're looking for "Naomi" instead.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That surname is only meaningful to comic book fans who know who she was named after.
    not really, the surname is significant to anyone who enjoyed Mcduffie's work; and that extends beyond comics. there are plenty of people who may not know McDuffie by heart but they felt the impact of his work by his contributions to things like Justice League/JLU, Static Shock, and Ben 10. her brand is her name and her face, so it's not like she needs to conceal her identity in story (as it stands), I feel that keeping it that way elevates the significance of her surname from just a trivia fact to an active ongoing homage to Mcduffie's legacy; and in today's culture that kind of info is ripe for the psuedo-nerds that would gobble it up for clicks for their black history month listicles. pivoting to a codename wouldn't make her brand anymore recognizable as it already is and will go on to be if her story quality continues to hold.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-26-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Yes ! Naomi will be translated in French ! I'll buy it - again - of course, so I'll need to put some money on the side for it ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yes ! Naomi will be translated in French ! I'll buy it - again - of course, so I'll need to put some money on the side for it ^^
    Nice! I really regret not picking up the Batwoman tomes the last time I was in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Nice! I really regret not picking up the Batwoman tomes the last time I was in Paris.
    You can always command them on Urban Comics shop, I think. Or Amazon ^^