Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She's done a lot more than one bad movie.
    No, I cannot accept that. The Happening is a bad movie. Jingle All The Way is a bad movie. National Treasure is a bad movie.

A wrinkle in time is so kitschy and baroque, it has so much nothing in every frame, its photography is so absurdly tacky that it cannot be considered a simple bad movie, but rather a terrorist attack against the 7th Art.

And as a person who personally liked the original Naomi mini-series (I'll ignore her mercifully short stint in the mercifully short-lived YJ v.2 because I don't think that comic deserves any mention) I'm understandably dismayed at seeing a potentially interesting character handled by somebody associated with that train wreck of a flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    No, I cannot accept that. The Happening is a bad movie. Jingle All The Way is a bad movie. National Treasure is a bad movie.

A wrinkle in time is so kitschy and baroque, it has so much nothing in every frame, its photography is so absurdly tacky that it cannot be considered a simple bad movie, but rather a terrorist attack against the 7th Art.

And as a person who personally liked the original Naomi mini-series (I'll ignore her mercifully short stint in the mercifully short-lived YJ v.2 because I don't think that comic deserves any mention) I'm understandably dismayed at seeing a potentially interesting character handled by somebody associated with that train wreck of a flick.
    it's pretty insulting and very shortsighted to dismiss her entire acclaimed career off one movie (not to mention the absurd amount of bad faith hyperbole) but to each their own I guess.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post

And if Wrinkle In Time were the only or even the first film she ever directed, this would be reasonable. But she has had a long and critically acclaimed career outside of that film.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's pretty insulting and very shortsighted to dismiss her entire acclaimed career off one movie (not to mention the absurd amount of bad faith hyperbole) but to each their own I guess.
    "Hyperbole"? "Understatement", more likely. There's no way one could ever overstate how terrible A wrinkle in time is. I easily put it in the Top 3 of the Worst Cinematic Experiences of 2018, right next to garbage like the remake of Death Wish and 211.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And if Wrinkle In Time were the only or even the first film she ever directed, this would be reasonable. But she has had a long and critically acclaimed career outside of that film.
    Hah! At the very least with the shoestring budgets of CW shows we're not going to see as many tacky costumes and as much baroque photography in a Naomi TV serial, I'll concede that. On the other hand, nearly every great director in the past hardly has a spotless record when it comes to their filmography, but I swear I've never seen a good one reaching such a low as Ava DuVernay did with A wrinkle in time and then going back to producing great cinema like nothing happened. Let alone that I don't think that any of DuVernay's previous movies could be labeled as "great cinema", though I realize that such a statement cannot be 100% objective.
    Last edited by Powertool; 12-05-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Ava also did When They See Us and that was good. I'm not an Ava superfan but she's has done good work.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The CW? Yikes. NAOMI could reach a much larger larger audience than that. Hard pass.

She needs a straight up gonzo blockbuster.
    CW does a lot of teen dramas/mysteries, seems on-brand for Naomi.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by bigman321 View Post
    Don’t get me wrong I’m loving everything about her getting a show, part of me just wishes for a couple of things.
    1: That it was a cartoon because I’ve always just preferred DC’s animations over their live action stuff.
    2: That they gave her to HBO Max, cause I feel like she would get a larger production budget with them.
    Totally agreed.

I'm thrilled Naomi is getting a show and like I said above, I'll likely give it an episode to impress me. But if you want to make sure I have zero interest in your show, put it on the CW. The only networks I care less about are the ones I've never heard of.

To put it in context, I'm not planning on giving "Superman & Lois" a single episode, and Clark's my favorite character ever. That's how much I don't care about the CW, and I'll still likely give Naomi one shot. But damn, if this were virtually anywhere else? I'd be cartwheeling.

Wonder what this does to Bendis' plans? I don't begrudge him not getting season 2 out this year but the amount of content we have for Naomi could fill out, if you're super generous and turn Naomi's guest appearances into a whole long "learning the ropes" arc, two seasons. Bendis is either gonna have start knocking out mini's or the show is going to quickly find itself charting its own course.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The CW has never done direct adaptions, and I’m sure Ava and her writer’s room will have ideas of their own. I’m not too worried in that regard.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Totally agreed.

I'm thrilled Naomi is getting a show and like I said above, I'll likely give it an episode to impress me. But if you want to make sure I have zero interest in your show, put it on the CW. The only networks I care less about are the ones I've never heard of.

To put it in context, I'm not planning on giving "Superman & Lois" a single episode, and Clark's my favorite character ever. That's how much I don't care about the CW, and I'll still likely give Naomi one shot. But damn, if this were virtually anywhere else? I'd be cartwheeling.

Wonder what this does to Bendis' plans? I don't begrudge him not getting season 2 out this year but the amount of content we have for Naomi could fill out, if you're super generous and turn Naomi's guest appearances into a whole long "learning the ropes" arc, two seasons. Bendis is either gonna have start knocking out mini's or the show is going to quickly find itself charting its own course.
    Yeah the CW sandbagged a lot of my interest but Duvernay's involvement alone promises a look on a DC property. Superman & Lois... Clark's my favorite character too and while I'm a bit more optimistic than you are (because I enjoy Black Lightning), even I'm thinking of waiting for the response from people on these boards with opinions I trust.

If nothing else, however, AT&T/DC investing this much into Naomi at least all-but-guarantees that a talent as big as Campbell does return for season 2. I was worried he'd be deemed too big for the book after Far Sector (like how Jorge Jimenez was taken off Super Sons for Justice League and eventually Batman), but Naomi getting a TV series may help with keeping him on-board. I have no doubt Campbell wants to draw other DC characters he loves as well, but I'm greedy and want to see at least one more Naomi project from him.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-06-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I want Jamal to come back for Season Two to continue solidifying the look and feel of Naomi's world. After that, I'm totally cool with new artists coming on board as long as they're good. I would imagine that a lot of artists would want to get their hands on this character.

Wow, I just can't believe it, I am so glad that this long pause on Naomi's story hasn't effected her appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well Bendis was writing more than 5 books at a time so he can crank out those stories when he needs to, I'm not sure how fast Walker is, and well we know how fast Campbell is considering Naomi season 2 hasn't come out and Far Sector became bimonthly.

In any case, I don't think it would be too hard for them to ask Bendis and Walker for ideas and I'm sure both of them have notes written down with more detail on Naomi and for Naomi 2 or 3 with however much background (or material in general) the writers room would need for the show.

But I hope to see Bendis as an executive producer for the show like he was for the Spider-Verse movie and the Jessica Jones series ...I wonder if he could become part of the writer's room and still continue to write comics, since he writes so many books I figure scaling down on the books and being a part of a writers room would be doable for him.

But man oh man I can see it now, whatever earth the Lois & Clark series takes place, Naomi will also be set on that earth, we'll get a cameo from Superman just like we did in the the first issue, and if Jon becomes Superboy on L&S, and Yara is also on the same earth, we could see these young heroes team up, maybe even start a Young Justice, I can even see Impulse being introduced sooner rather than later somehow ...but I'm.thinking way too far ahead so I'll slow down.

Ok so... Naomi will be on the Justice League, apparently ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3dyqZhnL8/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Ok so... Naomi will be on the Justice League, apparently ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3dyqZhnL8/
    I wonder will Bendis have her flirt with Shazam.

BANNED

That could be Black Adam. If the Red pops on Superman's costume, I would think it would pop on Billy's too.

Billy and Naomi could make a nice couple though. Nice magic and science dichotomy.