Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Boy, do I hate monopolies. Also, "Monopoly" the board game. Just not fun for me.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

It wouldn't be a monopoly.
    They would have to buy Image, Dark Horse, Dynamite and IDW also.
    Not to mention King Features Syndicate and Condé Nast.

However, there's this:

1. If DC was to be considered non-profitable as a comic publisher, DC would not be sold. It would just trimmed down to the Trinity. Every other character they own would go into limbo.
    Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman would become the modern day equivalent of the pulp heroes migrating out of the pulps, with the three of them being used more in licensing and tv/film/games and less in comics.

2. If, by some weird chance, Marvel did buy DC, we still would only see the Trinity. They would be given the Angela treatment and grafted into the Marvel Universe as if they were always there, while the rest of the DC Universe would join Crossgen and Ultraverse in Marvel's halls of eternal limbo.

In both scenarios, only the Trinity survive.
    If you're a fan of any other DC character, oh well.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

However, there's this:

1. If DC was to be considered non-profitable as a comic publisher, DC would not be sold. It would just trimmed down to the Trinity. Every other character they own would go into limbo.
    Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman would become the modern day equivalent of the pulp heroes migrating out of the pulps, with the three of them being used more in licensing and tv/film/games and less in comics.

2. If, by some weird chance, Marvel did buy DC, we still would only see the Trinity. They would be given the Angela treatment and grafted into the Marvel Universe as if they were always there, while the rest of the DC Universe would join Crossgen and Ultraverse in Marvel's halls of eternal limbo.

no way dude, Aquaman film made more money than Superman, Batman and Woder Woman ever made. Seeing this AT&T sends no one to limbo.

Yeah, come on, even if DC was absorbed into Marvel, they'd still keep more than just the Trinity. Aquaman is a very good example, he's more famous than the Submariner, so Namor's the one who would be more likely to be sacrificed (they're incompatible, one would have to go). Anyone outselling their Marvel counterparts would likely be kept around. That means the Trinity, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Flash and Teen Titans at least. Nova and Quicksilver can't hold down solo books long term, and TT has consistently outsold Champions (which makes sense since Titans is a long established brand, while Marvel seems to have a new teen team franchise every decade).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Joker was one of the most critically acclaimed, movies of the year. DC has plenty of good IP’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We assume the movies would be better because we assume Kevin Feige would be running them, but I think all the issues with the Star Wars franchise shows that Disney isn't perfect when it comes to handling major franchises.

The cartoons and animations could arguably get worse.
    The movies would get better (or at least be more widely accepted) because of Fiege, not Disney.

I am, of course, assuming that DC's intellectual properties would end up under Marvel Studios and not some other limb of Disney. Though I'm pretty sure Pixar would do great things with DC as well.

The cartoons, if under Marvel, would absolutely get worse.

Controlling the biggest two publishers in the industry would be a monopoly as far as comics go. You don't have to control every single company within an industry to have a monopoly, you just have to control the clear majority of output. Consider Band-Aid; they're a monopoly (the feds do sanction some, in certain industries) but they're not the only company in America that makes medical adhesive strips. But they sell more than all the other guys combined, to the point that in our culture "Band-Aid" has become synonymous with the product itself. What you're thinking of is called a....crap, a "pure" monopoly? A "true" monopoly? I don't remember, those business classes were a while ago and a single company 100% controlling every single aspect of a whole industry is so rare it's almost theoretical in America.

What we have right now in comics is an oligopoly, where a small handful of companies control the majority of output.

Of course, with comics being considered magazines as far as anti-trust law is concerned (I always forget that) then legally Marvel/Disney could buy DC and publish comics without worrying about it. I'm not sure how other industries like film would react though, I'm no expert on anti-trust law.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The movies would get better (or at least be more widely accepted) because of Fiege, not Disney.

I am, of course, assuming that DC's intellectual properties would end up under Marvel Studios and not some other limb of Disney. Though I'm pretty sure Pixar would do great things with DC as well.
    Again, assuming Feige would have creative control and be the one handling DC movies.

Although to be honest I've never been quite sure what Feige's opinion on DC properties is.
    Pixar hasn't even touched any Marvel properties so I'm not sure
    The cartoons, if under Marvel, would absolutely get worse.
    Even if it wasn't Marvel I don't see Disney being as experimental with animation as WB is.

Do you think we'd get an animated short based around Death of The Endless if Disney had the rights to DC? Or something like Young Justice or Harley Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    The Joker was one of the most critically acclaimed, movies of the year. DC has plenty of good IP’s.
    Even if they didn't they still have IP's with potential like Guardian of Galaxy ended up being.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even if it wasn't Marvel I don't see Disney being as experimental with animation as WB is.

Do you think we'd get an animated short based around Death of The Endless if Disney had the rights to DC? Or something like Young Justice or Harley Quinn.
    Probably not. I mean, who knows maybe Hulu would end up doing something, but......no, probably not. WB definitely has the better animation, which I've always found funny considering the Mouse owns Marvel. You'd think if Marvel got anything out of being owned by Disney it'd be better cartoons right?

But I bet you a Pixar Superman would be f**king amazing.

And I have no idea what Fiege thinks of DC. But if he somehow ended up with control of the IP's I'm sure he'd find the appeal of the characters real quick. A MCU Batman or Superman movie automatically breaks a billion, even with the bad press their last few film appearances got. A MCU Wonder Woman would probably have good odds of knocking on 2 billion.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

All-New Member

Seems unlikely but if it happened, that would be the day I give up on mainstream superhero comics.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Don't see it happening,although Marvel might buy the rights to YOUNGBLOOD because of Badrock who has incredible potential with Disnry. IMHO i could see Youngblood & Supreme part of the Disney/Marvel family
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Ultimate Member

However, there's this:

Even Marvel is NOT that stupid. Ultraverse is a story by itself and seems to be more of paying creators than anything else.

Flash, Shazam, Aquaman, Black Lighting, Hellblazer, Harley, Catwoman, Nightwing, Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Green Lantern and JSA resumes ALONE justify existence.

It's not Marvel's fault Dc can't capitalize on guys like Jaime Reyes, John Stewart and others.

Marvel would have a field day if they got their hands on Jaime Reyes, Tim, Bart and the rest of the teens.
    All of them at the same school as Miles? Or worst Avengers Academy 2.0?

Vixen??? I am sure Black Panther would have no trouble incorporating her. Red Lion versus Black Panther??

Deathstroke versus Punisher?

And there is another question-where does Milestone fit in this? Since Static is on Yong Justice. If that deal could get Marvel permission to use Milestone...

Static vs Miles Morales-that is all anyone wants.

Retired

Glass half full. If it ever happens, I'll save all that money I would have spent on DC books, DC movies, DC merchandise.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

No I don't think so. DC's owned by a big enough company I don't see them selling.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I think it would just work licensing a few characters for TV/movie crossovers than buying DC outright, since DC and Marvel themselves don't seem to care to do crossovers in comics anymore.