Page 73 of 313 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 4692
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    Of course DC could give Damian a new mentor and let him do some soul searching or whatever, I just don't think they want to put in the effort, not when they can use him as a) a lazy new antagonist or b) a tool to further Bruce's story. Or both.
    I highly doubt that they are going to make him a villain DC comics has been trying to remove some of the characters edge for years. They created a book called Little Gotham showing his adventures as Robin in a kid friendly manner. They also feature him as a baby in Tiny Titans and as the Robin in DC Superhero Girls. DC has too much marketing going against them to make him a villain.

Let's be honest about what's probably going to happen Djinn comes back some how sees Damian left finds him, tells him they are a team and they made those bad decisions together. Convinces him that regardless if he is Robin or not he can still be a hero Damian chooses a new code name and returns to the Titans determined to do better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I highly doubt that they are going to make him a villain DC comics has been trying to remove some of the characters edge for years. They created a book called Little Gotham showing his adventures as Robin in a kid friendly manner. They also feature him as a baby in Tiny Titans and as the Robin in DC Superhero Girls. DC has too much marketing going against them to make him a villain.

Let's be honest about what's probably going to happen Djinn comes back some how sees Damian left finds him, tells him they are a team and they made those bad decisions together. Convinces him that regardless if he is Robin or not he can still be a hero Damian chooses a new code name and returns to the Titans determined to do better.
    No, actually DC is still on their "he will do something horrible in the future and will be hated by everyone" trip. And I said antagonist, not villain. There's a difference.
    The shows have very little to do with what happens in comics, Dick is the main character in Titans and he's been stuck as Ric for over a year and the Titans don't even have a book anymore. Instead they're used as cannon fodder for the upcoming Death Metal event or got brainwashed to serve Darseid or whatever DC comes up with.
    And DC had no problem giving Glass the okay to let Damian have a secret prison/torture chamber and to make him brainwash people, never trust DC to give a damn about character developement or making characters look bad.

Also, my problem is that I think that finding a permanent new identity for him at 13 is dumb. I don't care that we might get a timeskip to where he's older, I think he's too young.
    All the titles wrap up soon. Even if what you predict happens, I doubt we would get to see much of Damian and the team actually trying to do better. And I can't stand team books that do that.
    Last edited by Ansa; 02-28-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Incredible Member

And if DC really goes through with their plans to replace Bruce with another character like Luke Fox you can expect them to try and remove the competition. Got to find a reason why Luke is suddenly the only one who can protect Gotham.

Incredible Member

When I say that I don't think DC is willing to put much effort into making whatever comes next into a great Damian-centric story that will elevate his character I also say that with a look at what DC has been doing with the rest of the Robins.

Jason: Has the same mediocre writer since the beginning of New 52.

Dick: Got his own book derailed because King wanted to shoot him in the head for his Batman story and then Lobdell convinced DC it would be a good idea to turn Dick into Ric for what will probably end up being two years.

Tim: Hasn't been important in years, first fake died for several months, got back, run ended, he vanished for several months, returned as Robin for unknown reasons, got lost in the Multiverse and is a duck now. He also shares the book with 10+ other characters.

When I say that I don't think DC is willing to put much effort into making whatever comes next into a great Damian-centric story that will elevate his character I also say that with a look at what DC has been doing with the rest of the Robins.

Jason: Has the same mediocre writer since the beginning of New 52.

Dick: Got his own book derailed because King wanted to shoot him in the head for his Batman story and then Lobdell convinced DC it would be a good idea to turn Dick into Ric for what will probably end up being two years.

Tim: Hasn't been important in years, first fake died for several months, got back, run ended, he vanished for several months, returned as Robin for unknown reasons, got lost in the Multiverse and is a duck now. He also shares the book with 10+ other characters.
    So I guess obvious answer is that they should give him to Lobdell to work his magic
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-28-2020 at 03:31 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    So I guess obvious answer is that they should give him to Lobdell to work his magic
    Or Bendis
    Shoot me if that happens.

No, actually DC is still on their "he will do something horrible in the future and will be hated by everyone" trip. And I said antagonist, not villain. There's a difference.
    The shows have very little to do with what happens in comics, Dick is the main character in Titans and he's been stuck as Ric for over a year and the Titans don't even have a book anymore. Instead they're used as cannon fodder for the upcoming Death Metal event or got brainwashed to serve Darseid or whatever DC comes up with.
    And DC had no problem giving Glass the okay to let Damian have a secret prison/torture chamber and to make him brainwash people, never trust DC to give a damn about character developement or making characters look bad.

Also, my problem is that I think that finding a permanent new identity for him at 13 is dumb. I don't care that we might get a timeskip to where he's older, I think he's too young.
    All the titles wrap up soon. Even if what you predict happens, I doubt we would get to see much of Damian and the team actually trying to do better. And I can't stand team books that do that.
    If DC's current timeline is anything to go by, he shouldn't be that much younger than Tim was when he became Red Robin.

He's been Robin for, what, three years? Three and a half? Four? And Tim's gotta be like 17 or 18 at this point. He'd only be a year or two younger than Tim was.

And even if we take past Robins out of the equation? Why is he too young to have his own identity? He could still be ten years old and "he's too young to be anything but Robin" still wouldn't make sense. He's always been a fairly independent kid anyway. Maybe it's time to give him an identity that reflects that.

The only thing I'm against is the possibility that he's getting fired from being Robin. He doesn't deserve that. Not when all of this could have possibly been avoided, if Bruce hadn't abandoned his family to spend three years chasing a stray cat.
    Last edited by Blue22; 02-28-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    If DC's current timeline is anything to go by, he shouldn't be that much younger than Tim was when he became Red Robin.

He's been Robin for, what, three years? Three and a half? Four? And Tim's gotta be like 17 or 18 at this point. He'd only be a year or two younger than Tim was.

And even if we take past Robins put of the equation? Why is he too young to have his own identity? He could still be ten years old and "he's too young to be anything but Robin" still wouldn't make sense. He's always been a fairly independent kid anyway. Maybe it's time to give him an identity that reflects that.

The only thing I'm against is the possibility that he's getting fired from being Robin. He doesn't deserve that. Not when all of this could have possibly been avoided, if Bruce hadn't abandoned his family to spend three years chasing a stray cat.
    Yeah, because Red Robin was such a good identity.
    And in the story where we saw Tim leave the Robin identity he was 16, I don't care if they retcon it to him being 13.

Sorry, but I think trying to give a kid an identity that is supposed to stay for life is stupid. Wait till he's sixteen, then we can talk.

And in the story where we saw Tim leave the Robin identity he was 16, I don't care if they retcon it to him being 13.

Sorry, but I think trying to give a kid an identity that is supposed to stay for life is stupid. Wait till he's sixteen, then we can talk.
    Damian had his first identity at age 10.. (redbird or something) ....
    He is not a common 13-yo. Even if he is still immature -and this is normal- he has the intellectual level of a much older person. So, from this aspect, he is able to have an identity of his own.
    And even if they give him a new identity:
    a) it's not sure that he will keep it for life (I don't believe there is the time for that, but even if he appears with a new id in TT he may change it)
    b) there is a possibility for him to stay without identity till the 16 years or more.

And even if they do give him the id, because they do not spend much energy and time on him... Then in my opinion, I don't think it is that bad, given that in the whole comic book history worse decisions have been made...
    I mean it is something we can live with in comparison with other possible developments of his character....

Also the quality of Red Robin on the one hand and the quality of Damian's possible new ID are not based on their maturity and age, rather than on the way their writers write them.... (Which is not the best may I add)
    Last edited by Yennefer; 02-28-2020 at 08:19 AM.

He was Robin before he was Redbird. He didn't become Redbird until during Batman Inc after Flashpoint. There was a bounty on Robin so Damian took the name Redbird instead.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Incorporated_Vol_2_3
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Redbird
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Oh it was terrible (but better than what he goes by now). But the quality of the name is completely irrelevant to the point I was making, as is your ignoring of the retcons that had to have been put in place in order for Tim and Damian to be the ages that they are now.

Tim is just barely college age now. In fact I think he's currently the same age as Jon. Which means when Damian first became Robin, Tim had to have been about 14-15. Which is barely older than Damian, who's probably almost 14 at this point (in fact, if Jon was ten at the start of Rebirth and 11 when he went to space with Jor El, Damian might already be 14)

Was it a stupid retcon? Should Tim be way older than he is now? Yeah. But it is what it is.

Who said anything about him having this new identity for life? Tim and Steph have both gone through two different IDs since their days as Robin (granted, in Steph's case, she went back to her first one). Just because he's walking away from Robin and becoming something else at 13 doesn't mean that's what he's stuck as for the rest of his existence. And even if it is...so? What difference would him doing it at 13 make from him doing it at 16? It's not like he has anything else to gain from being Bruce's sometimes protege. He might as well cut himself loose now. From what I've seen of him in these past few years, he's kinda already outgrown Robin. If Robin's role is to be Batman's partner/student/sidekick, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He was Robin before he was Redbird. He didn't become Redbird until during Batman Inc after Flashpoint. There was a bounty on Robin so Damian took the name Redbird instead.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Incorporated_Vol_2_3
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Redbird
    They never said Red Bird was his first identity. Just that he had his own at some point when he was ten. Though I hesitate to count Red Bird becasue I don't think anyone was ever fooled into thinking that would stick.
    Last edited by Blue22; 02-28-2020 at 09:32 AM.

All-New Member

In my opinion, the main point is - Damian just doesn’t deserve to lose his Robin identity. He tried his best in this role and died several times, trying to make things right. It was good for him and it made him closer to his dad and all these people that we’re good influence on him (for the most part).

But if rumors are true, I hope he leaves the identity himself. If Batman takes it from him... well, Bruce would in my eyes join the club of “most caring” dads of fiction, along with Vader, God-Emperor of Mankind and Gendo freaking Ikari.
    Last edited by RLV_1996; 02-28-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLV_1996 View Post
    In my opinion, the main point is - Damian just doesn’t deserve to lose his Robin identity. He tried his best in this role and died several times, trying to make things right. It was good for him and it made him closer to his dad and all these people that we’re good influence on him (for the most part).

But if rumors are true, I hope he leaves the identity himself. If Batman takes it from him... well, Bruce would in my eyes join the club of “most caring” dads of fiction, along with Vader, God-Emperor of Mankind and Gendo freaking Ikari.
    Oh I'm in complete agreement. While I won't necessarily complain if this is the end of him as Robin. I still don't want it to be. After everything that title was to him, he doesn't deserve to lose it like this.

And Bruce would have a hell of a lot of nerve to fire him right now. Which is why I'm REALLY hoping this little confrontation ends with him quitting and basically telling his dad to go **** himself.

I am afraid that Bruce firing Damian will be the beginning of a very very very dark path for him. Maybe they prepare him to be something like Ra's in 5G....
    Last edited by Yennefer; 02-28-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yennefer View Post
    I am afraid that Bruce firing Damian will be the beginning of a very very very dark path for him. Maybe they prepare him to be something like Ra's in 5G....
    Well legion all but confirmed