Page 131 of 174 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2603
  1. #1951
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    I think it more depend on his writers. Damian is a very difficult and complex character, so every writer will have their own understanding of Damian's personality, to the point that you can feel the difference when Damian get shifted from one writer into different writer. Also, almost all writer seems like want to write his redemption or character development from beginning so they must regress his character when they first wrote him to make a plot for his development. Even good Damian writers like Tomasi, Seeley, and Gleason did that.

    Wait, when did Damian eat meat in preview? About him became vegetarian, it's kinda inconsistent. In Batman&Robin's Tomasi he ate chicken, in his Supersons he ate veggie kebab, then on Robin anniversary he ate burger. Under King's hand he ate burger, under Bendis he ate hot dog, I also recall he ate pizza on but I don't remember the issue, also on Batman vs TMTT movie he ate pepperoni pizza.
    When did Seeley and Gleason regress him?

    Tomasi's batman and Robin was outstanding and he handles Damian very well but he did regress Damian not just in Supersons but also in Batman and Robin. For the person who gave us Damian's 1st pet he also wrote Damian killing a bat and ignored the vegetarian thing.

    I choose to believe that was a veggie burger and a veggie dog that he was eating in those books.

  2. #1952
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    The thing with this team is that they don't feel like a team and this whole run has a really mean spirited vibe to it.
    They don't give off the TT's vibe. They are outlaws. Formed without the knowledge of any responsible adults with the objective to do what the JL won't.

    They are renegades. Anti-heroes and that's not what TT is about. They came together for the wrong reasons and that reason isn't sustainable.
    I don't know what the future holds but one thing is clear, the days of titles flying under the radar is over.
    The orginal Teen Titans didn't form under adult supervision either. Pre Crisis Dick formed the team to literally take on cases that the JL or JLA wouldn't do since they effected kids. The adults literally didn't want their sidekicks teaming up and fighting crime without them. If you read Teen Titans year one none of the adults take the kids view of crime fighting and their issues seriously causing Dick to form the first generation of Titans.

    Also we forget if you read New Teen Titans they only become a team because Raven gathered them to fight her dad. She also uses some magic to team members like Wally and Dick to nearly fall in love with her and get them to stay on the team. Teen Titans has always kind of been like this. The reasons they get together are often not meant to be sustainable that is why there are so many Titans lineups.

  3. #1953
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebeca Armus View Post
    I think Damian have a characteristic of mirror the other person personality. (It's a little sociopathy characteristic).
    Dick is Dick no matter who he is close, but Damian is a different person with Jon, Batman, Grayson, the old TT, the new TT (where he is too much more agressive.)
    I don't think TT have beeing well writing. I think it's make sense at some point, and after this, it is a disaster.
    I also think this rebel posture is he screaming for attention again, just like Jason, they can be sweet having more attention, but they lost control of how deal with rejection and how prove themselves, and in some point everything explode and the circle re-start worst.
    *plus
    But why Damian ate meat? Why??? Looks like the new writer didn't read the last work. (Ah!)
    Aside from Damian being closed naturally guarded and socially distant. Most people are different with different people depending on the type of relationship and how close or comfortable they are with the person.

    Damian's relationship with Dick is different from his relationship with Jon and Bruce.
    Dick is his brother, surrogate father, teacher and closet friend
    Bruce is his parent
    Jon is his pal and peer

    Some it makes sense that he behaves differently when he's with each.
    I act different when I'm hanging with my closets friends who know me flaws and all. The ones who have seen the worst of me, don't judge me and I know will catch me when I fall.
    I'm different with my parents and I'm different with pals that don't know me intimately.

    So it's natural. We are all like that. I'm also different with the people I work with which is essentially what the TT are for Damian.

  4. #1954
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Aside from Damian being closed naturally guarded and socially distant. Most people are different with different people depending on the type of relationship and how close or comfortable they are with the person.

    Damian's relationship with Dick is different from his relationship with Jon and Bruce.
    Dick is his brother, surrogate father, teacher and closet friend
    Bruce is his parent
    Jon is his pal and peer

    Some it makes sense that he behaves differently when he's with each.
    I act different when I'm hanging with my closets friends who know me flaws and all. The ones who have seen the worst of me, don't judge me and I know will catch me when I fall.
    I'm different with my parents and I'm different with pals that don't know me intimately.

    So it's natural. We are all like that. I'm also different with the people I work with which is essentially what the TT are for Damian.
    I heard people describe Harley Quinn as a social chameleon and I think of Damian personality the same way. Like when he with Jon he is more fun. When he is with Djinn he is gentle and more in touch with his feelings. When he is with Dick he is more of a team player. When he is with Emiko he is all business and more no nonsense. Same with Bruce.

  5. #1955
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    The orginal Teen Titans didn't form under adult supervision either. Pre Crisis Dick formed the team to literally take on cases that the JL or JLA wouldn't do since they effected kids. The adults literally didn't want their sidekicks teaming up and fighting crime without them. If you read Teen Titans year one none of the adults take the kids view of crime fighting and their issues seriously causing Dick to form the first generation of Titans.

    Also we forget if you read New Teen Titans they only become a team because Raven gathered them to fight her dad. She also uses some magic to team members like Wally and Dick to nearly fall in love with her and get them to stay on the team. Teen Titans has always kind of been like this. The reasons they get together are often not meant to be sustainable that is why there are so many Titans lineups.
    I know how Dick Wally and co came about but the important and big difference is their objective.
    Same with NTT. Their objective wasn't the adults are doing it wrong so lets do it our way.

    They weren't anti heroes. Raven might have used magic on her team mates but she didn't use it on bad guys in a questionable manner.
    Damian set up a jail and they are mind wiping bad guys [how did that come about by the way?]
    That put's them at best in the anti hero bracket. All of them.

    That's not what the TT are about.

    There's also the fact that regardless of how the original TT came about there is now a precedent. An unwritten code for how they should act and what they should be about. They should be heroes not anti heroes.

  6. #1956
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I heard people describe Harley Quinn as a social chameleon and I think of Damian personality the same way. Like when he with Jon he is more fun. When he is with Djinn he is gentle and more in touch with his feelings. When he is with Dick he is more of a team player. When he is with Emiko he is all business and more no nonsense. Same with Bruce.
    This is going to sound bad but when he's with Djinn I'm reminded of when he's with his pets. I guess Gentle is the right word.
    I don't feel he's more in touch with his feelings since he doesn't share any of himself with her.

    He hasn't even shared why he's doing what he's doing with her or opened up. Emiko he seems more open with since she was privy to his real plans and actions.

  7. #1957
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I know how Dick Wally and co came about but the important and big difference is their objective.
    Same with NTT. Their objective wasn't the adults are doing it wrong so lets do it our way.

    They weren't anti heroes. Raven might have used magic on her team mates but she didn't use it on bad guys in a questionable manner.
    Damian set up a jail and they are mind wiping bad guys [how did that come about by the way?]
    That put's them at best in the anti hero bracket. All of them.

    That's not what the TT are about.

    There's also the fact that regardless of how the original TT came about there is now a precedent. An unwritten code for how they should act and what they should be about. They should be heroes not anti heroes.
    I won't say I like everything about the anti hero angle the book is doing. But, if you don't have that what separates it from any other Teen Titans run? Percy did the same Teen Titans run like all the others. But, nothing of note happens in it. I don't hate it but what happens?


    It literally I felt like Percy tried to make the book so wholly unoffensive that it's kind of boring. Damian, Aqualad, and Beast Boy are the only three characters with storylines. But even then the book totally focuses on Damian to a absurd amount to the point that Starfire is team leader but they're still taking orders from Damian. I feel like these two Teen Titans runs are showing two extremes. Both could be better and feel like there is no middle ground in either run.

    Either a book that is so holy unoffensive that nothing happens or a book that takes a risk but is viewed as going to far beyond the orginal concept.

  8. #1958
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This is going to sound bad but when he's with Djinn I'm reminded of when he's with his pets. I guess Gentle is the right word.
    I don't feel he's more in touch with his feelings since he doesn't share any of himself with her.

    He hasn't even shared why he's doing what he's doing with her or opened up. Emiko he seems more open with since she was privy to his real plans and actions.
    I get what your saying it's not surprising you would get that feeling. Damian to me kind of views Djinn as fragile if that's the correct word. Like he took her in a similar way that he takes in one of his pets and the way she shows him affection kind of reminds me of a cat for some reason. She literally said he found her and gave her a home so it's not strange. It doesn't diminish either character I just think its interesting.

  9. #1959
    Spectacular Member Light of Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    When did Seeley and Gleason regress him?

    Tomasi's batman and Robin was outstanding and he handles Damian very well but he did regress Damian not just in Supersons but also in Batman and Robin. For the person who gave us Damian's 1st pet he also wrote Damian killing a bat and ignored the vegetarian thing.

    I choose to believe that was a veggie burger and a veggie dog that he was eating in those books.
    I love Seeley's work on Damian in Nightwing, especially Nightwing Must Die arc, but to me Damian is too.... damsel in distress. Also it's weird that he wanted to kill Dollotron Robin when he cares so much about Sasha who partially became Dollotron and antagonized him as Red Hood's sidekick. Damian repeatedly shows his sympathy to child victim, for example on Street of Gotham and Tec 1017. Dollotron Robin is by all means is only child victim of Professor Pyg, so I think it's weird that Damian antagonized him. I can't blame him though, he's Nightwing writer and his job is to show Nightwing's greatness as hero and he chose to use Damian as his support character to support his agenda, but my point is he regress Damian for the sake of plot albeit only a little and not as bad as Percy or Glass. He also shows Damian's child and compassionate side, so for me he's still a good Damian writer
    About Gleason, sorry when I wrote that post I was under impression that he also wrote Supersons together with Tomasi. I just realized that he only co writer of Supersons in Superman's book when they first met and bootcamp arc, not Supersons's book. His run on RSOB is brilliant and it undoubtly the best book of Damian.
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 05-25-2020 at 09:29 PM.

  10. #1960
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    321

    Default

    I just read the newest issue of Teen Titans and I really liked it. I think its going to end the anti hero angle of the team and cause a serious change to the tone of the book. I really can't wait to see what comes next with Thompson. I didn't expect the ending and now it makes perfect sense why Bruce is coming in.

    I am actually really excited I think the shift people wanted with the Titans not being anti heroes is coming. So excited

    Last edited by shadow6743; 05-25-2020 at 09:43 PM.

  11. #1961
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Yes i was talking about the Nightwing Annual when Dick wakes up. I assumed that annual was the catalyst for Damian seeking out KGBeast since he asked Bruce whether he he killed him and Bruce said no.

    Later on Dick rejects them and doesn't remember him.
    That would be his lowest point

    It makes sense that Dick forgetting him would cause Damian to lose it and want revenge.

    Both writers of RIP didn't do a good job. That title was full of mistakes. It was the 10th anniversary of Bruce's parents death yet Bruce was mourning Damian in one of the stories we saw. It's just a mess.

    I don't think the plan was ever for Damian to be his Robin.
    Batman and Robin haven't been a thing since the days when Jason was Robin.

    Morrison brought them back for his run but prior to that the duo were mostly seen in the Robin series or in events.

    I don't know I just don't think the event's of TT has anything to do with 5G
    I don't think Damian going after KGBeast is happening because of the second Annual, that must have happened ages ago.

    Yes, that's exactly our point, Damian as Luke's Robin wouldn't work so they would have needed to remove him.
    If the rumors about a timeskip in the DC universe for 5G would have been correct it wouldn't have been unreasonable to have Damian fired from the role, then do a timeskip and see where he ended up a few years older in a new role in 5G.

  12. #1962
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    The thing with this team is that they don't feel like a team and this whole run has a really mean spirited vibe to it.
    They don't give off the TT's vibe. They are outlaws. Formed without the knowledge of any responsible adults with the objective to do what the JL won't.

    They are renegades. Anti-heroes and that's not what TT is about. They came together for the wrong reasons and that reason isn't sustainable.
    I don't know what the future holds but one thing is clear, the days of titles flying under the radar is over.
    On that we agree 100%.
    This team isn't build on friendship and even if Thompson tries to turn them around now I doubt a lot of people are going to have fond memories of the relationships in this book.
    Can't talk for fans of the other characters, but the majority of Damian fans seem to have a lot stronger emotional attachments to characters like Jon, Maya or even Suren as Damian's friends. If someone wants some comforting reading material they're going to grab Robin: Son of Batman or Super Sons, not Teen Titans.

    A team of teenagers build on rebelling against the Justice League not wanting to go "lower than the criminals" never had that much hope anyway. Like how is it going to end? Either one of the big heroes is going to put a stop to it or they accept the way of the Justice League. Two options that kept me from enjoying just the idea of this book. The execution did the rest.
    Last edited by Astralabius; 05-25-2020 at 10:46 PM.

  13. #1963
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I just read the newest issue of Teen Titans and I really liked it. I think its going to end the anti hero angle of the team and cause a serious change to the tone of the book. I really can't wait to see what comes next with Thompson. I didn't expect the ending and now it makes perfect sense why Bruce is coming in.

    I am actually really excited I think the shift people wanted with the Titans not being anti heroes is coming. So excited

    I forgot today was Wed

    Now you've got me looking forward to reading it.

  14. #1964
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    On that we agree 100%.
    This team isn't build on friendship and even if Thompson tries to turn them around now I doubt a lot of people are going to have fond memories of the relationships in this book.
    Can't talk for fans of the other characters, but the majority of Damian fans seem to have a lot stronger emotional attachments to characters like Jon, Maya or even Suren as Damian's friends. If someone wants some comforting reading material they're going to grab Robin: Son of Batman or Super Sons, not Teen Titans.

    A team of teenagers build on rebelling against the Justice League not wanting to go "lower than the criminals" never had that much hope anyway. Like how is it going to end? Either one of the big heroes is going to put a stop to it or they accept the way of the Justice League. Two options that kept me from enjoying just the idea of this book. The execution did the rest.
    I just need to find out what Damian's motivation is. It's doing my head in not knowing what's going on in his head. What he's feeling.

    This title has had a lot of pages where emotions [mostly anger] are flying but they rarely go past the surface.

    I have so many questions.
    I can't wait for the Batman issue just so I know this is all out in the open and done.

  15. #1965
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    22,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I know this run would never reach 100 issues. Geoff John's only got his Titans run to reach 50 issues and that run is one of the most well liked.
    That series did reach 100 issues (just barely - issue 100 was the last issue before the New 52 reboot) but as you say, Johns did leave halfway through. This run of TT is now on it's third writer, but it's still the same run under Thompson that it was under Percy and Glass.

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I forgot today was Wed

    Now you've got me looking forward to reading it.
    That's because it's Tuesday, lol! DC Comics come out on Tuesdays now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •