Page 51 of 313 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Is the Alfred special worth getting?
    I haven't read the whole thing yet, I just saw the preview. But from what I saw I would say it handles Alfred's death and the complicated family situation a lot better than Tom King's "The boys came over. We had dinner. They're doing well." which ignored what's been going on in the bat-family for the past two years. Just had to squeeze in more of Bruce sitting in a bar watching sports I guess.

If you want to know how each of them is affected by Alfred's death or you want to know if Bruce can finally get off his ass and use his talent for words not just for eulogies but to fix his family I would say it's worth checking out.

Edit: It's just good to see that, at least in this preview, the narrative doesn't take Bruce's side as it so often does. It makes it clear that the family is disappointed that it needed the opening of a hospital for Bruce to get them in one place. It shows us that Damian isn't fine and that Bruce so far hasn't done anything to help him with his guilt. Barbara thinks that Bruce is doing all of this the wrong way, but knows Bruce wouldn't listen. It needed Alfred writing it in his testament as a last wish to force Bruce to take one night off and spend some time with the core family.
    I hope the book really tackles some of those issues.
    Last edited by Ansa; 02-10-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Incredible Member

It's probably the closest thing to bat-family content we'll get until the summer crossover event Tynion teased and Tomasi is usally good with emotional family stuff, so I don't expect this to be bad. I just don't know if it's going to be great or satisfying.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I haven't read the whole thing yet, I just saw the preview. But from what I saw I would say it handles Alfred's death and the complicated family situation a lot better than Tom King's "The boys came over. We had dinner. They're doing well." which ignored what's been going on in the bat-family for the past two years. Just had to squeeze in more of Bruce sitting in a bar watching sports I guess.

If you want to know how each of them is affected by Alfred's death or you want to know if Bruce can finally get off his ass and use his talent for words not just for eulogies but to fix his family I would say it's worth checking out.
    Oh right It's not out yet. I thought it was already out. I've not been keeping up with release dates you see.

Is it out this week?
    I know batman Tales Once upon a crime with Damian is out this week but wasn't sure what other Damian content is out.

Incredible Member

Oh right It's not out yet. I thought it was already out. I've not been keeping up with release dates you see.

Is it out this week?
    I know batman Tales Once upon a crime with Damian is out this week but wasn't sure what other Damian content is out.
    It comes out this week. Damian is also on the cover of Superman: Heroes, but that's Bendis which means I'm not touching it.

Edit: Oh and Batman vs Ra's Al Ghul #4 might have Damian in it, but that book is just weird and has no place in continuity.
    Last edited by Ansa; 02-10-2020 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    It comes out this week. Damian is also on the cover of Superman: Heroes, but that's Bendis which means I'm not touching it.

Edit: Oh and Batman vs Ra's Al Ghul #4 might have Damian in it, but that book is just weird and has no place in continuity.
    That batman v Ra's is bonkers and the art is nightmare inducing.

Neal Adams has really gone off the rails. i've followed that and i don't know what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    No. It was Damian himself distancing, well, himself from Bruce after seeing how ineffective his and the older heroes' methods had become. He teamed up with Jason because both believed that the particularly bad criminals weren't being punished enough. It was a partnership. Jason would send messages of information to Damian, whom in turn, would go in and take down the baddies. But when presented with the possibility of a mole, Damian never hesitated in blaming Jason. And then promptly attacking him later on.

So trying to pin everything on Jason doesn't fly. Damian needs to take responsibility for his own actions, not have them slapped onto someone else.

Besides which, Jason and Bruce aren't even really on speaking terms at the moment, with Jason and the Outlaws relocating to New York. So mister "I'll beat my sons senseless to teach them a lesson/send a message" isn't going to get to "talk" with Jason.
    We saw Jason inquiring how the set of the jail went.
    We saw Jason telling him how to steal money and cover his tracks
    and most importantly we saw Jason say that he was the one who reached out to Damian and Glass told us that Damian had a new mentor.

Everything points to Jason. {Did you forget those pages?}

Glass by not showing us how Damian decided on his new path put everything on Jason. Damian last we saw was just disillusioned but this isn't the 1st time Damian has been disillusioned.

I'm pretty sure Bruce isn't rooted to Gotham. The point is that everyone seems to be forgetting the mentor who reached out to Damian offering help that wasn't asked for and who we saw giving him bad advice and the conversation shows that jason had a hand if not full responsibility for what damian was doing.

I hope Glass and co address all involved and show us how and why Damian would suddenly listen to a Robin he views as a failure. I get that Dick was gone but even if the whole world was gone Damian wouldn't accept Jason's offer of mentorship. Not in a million years

Everybody should take responsibility.

Thank goodness Glass is off this. damian in canon has his own money so no need to steal.
    Damian would never take advice from Jason. Those two thing's which this tale hinges in are 100% occ and thongs that Damian would never need to stoop to.

The stealing was Damian so that was an error. Jason like a responsible adult to a 13yr old of course gives the right reply.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 02-10-2020 at 07:11 AM.

We saw Jason inquiring how the set of the jail went.
    We saw Jason telling him how to steal money and cover his tracks
    and most importantly we saw Jason say that he was the one who reached out to Damian and Glass told us that Damian had a new mentor.

Everything points to Jason. {Did you forget those pages?}

Glass by not showing us how Damian decided on his new path put everything on Jason. Damian last we saw was just disillusioned but this isn't the 1st time Damian has been disillusioned.

I'm pretty sure Bruce isn't rooted to Gotham. The point is that everyone seems to be forgetting the mentor who reached out to Damian offering help that wasn't asked for and who we saw giving him bad advice and the conversation shows that jason had a hand if not full responsibility for what damian was doing.

I hope Glass and co address all involved and show us how and why Damian would suddenly listen to a Robin he views as a failure. I get that Dick was gone but even if the whole world was gone Damian wouldn't accept Jason's offer of mentorship. Not in a million years

Everybody should take responsibility.

Thank goodness Glass is off this. damian in canon has his own money so no need to steal.
    Damian would never take advice from Jason. Those two thing's which this tale hinges in are 100% occ and thongs that Damian would never need to stoop to.

The stealing was Damian so that was an error. Jason like a responsible adult to a 13yr old of course gives the right reply.
    I mean no one expected anything less. There's a reason why once Dick is compromised everything falls apart.
    Dick is the only adult in the family and the only dependable one in the family.

Unlikely that Jason is going to be called on for his part in this. he was picked for the part for a reason. This isn't out of character for him so Bruce wouldn't expect anything less from him. There's no story there. If Dick had been the one giving this bad advice then we might get more because it's not usual for Dick to **** up in this manner so there might be some entertaining story in it.

Damian needs to take responsibility and he will. Jason it's just another story cementing him as lesser than the golden boy and Robin that failed. I mean this is a story about Robin losing his way and who is his mentor? The original failure.
    Last edited by Fergus; 02-10-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I mean no one expected anything less. There's a reason why once Dick is compromised everything falls apart.
    Dick is the only adult in the family and the only dependable one in the family.

Unlikely that Jason is going to be called on for his part in this. he was picked for the part for a reason. This isn't out of character for him so Bruce wouldn't expect anything less from him. There's no story there. If Dick had been the one giving this bad advice then we might get more because it's not usual for Dick to **** up in this manner so there might be some entertaining story in it.

Damian needs to take responsibility and he will. Jason it's just another story cementing him as lesser than the golden boy and Robin that failed. I mean this is a story about Robin losing his way and who is his mentor? The original failure.
    I'm just expecting Damian's part to be explored and anyone one else who played a part in this to be ignored since they were just lamps to get the story here but it would have been great if everything was addressed. Plus it's always worth it as double standards set in to remind everyone of the full story and Jason and Bruce's role in this.

If it's fair to call out Bruce for his short comings as a father in this then it's fair to call out a grown man like Jason for his short comings as a mentor and an irresponsible adult. Everyone seems to have forgotten that he had a hand in this.

Yep. It's not lost on me that Jason wasn't necessary here so the only reason does seem to be to drag the character.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 02-10-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Last edited by CPSparkles; 02-11-2020 at 06:42 AM.

The Greatest

Back when rebirth was still so fun and positive

You know...part of me wonders if Damian would have been better off staying Dick's partner even after Bruce came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    You know...part of me wonders if Damian would have been better off staying Dick's partner even after Bruce came back.
    He would. Dick's is the right kind of complementary personality, not Bruce's. Evem Jason's is better. But Dick is the right one, much like Jon was good. In my opinion, at least. It's the kind of personality that makes Damian grow and show how much he has work and grown; and it works better carrying any kind of story, from the most ligh hearted to the darkest and heaviest.

But, it's just my opinion.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I think the issues with Bruce wouldn't be so bad if DC didn't decide that Batman should be an egotistical *******.

I think Damian could have learned a lot from a Batman that was closer to BTAS and not to Punisher.